PDA

View Full Version : Few suggestion s for realistic damage models

jurinko
05-06-2004, 02:25 AM
1) glycol coolers should be vulnerable. Most of glycol-cooled planes were lost due to cooling system damage. The big coolers on bellys/wings of Yaks, P-51, Hurricanes, Bf109s can be shot through now and nothing happens. On the other hand, P40 needs just one MG17 bullets throught her cooler and the engine screams.. so it should be on all planes. If it is possible to code oil cooler on IL-2 to be vulnerable, why not on other planes.
2) IL-2 damage mode: in many books I read, the good shot into the oil cooler of IL-2 caused oil leak and after a while a fire from the engine bottom. Can we get this?
In memoir of Finnish pilot, they told the vulnerable part of IL-2 was the wing root, usually IL-2 caught fire after being shot there. Dunno since the fuel tank is in the fuselage..
3) glycol leak: in the books I read, pilots reported the glycol literally streaked out/poured out the damaged plane, letting dense white trace behind the plane. In FB, the thin veil of glycol is rare and somehow weak.
4) Can be add more variety like fire only from the engine bottom or small fire from the fuselage, or, on the other hand, the fire catching both engine and the whole wing? In the guncameras from Pacific, the Zekes are turned into really huge fireballs quite often.

---------------------
Letka.13/Liptow @ HL

jurinko
05-06-2004, 02:25 AM
1) glycol coolers should be vulnerable. Most of glycol-cooled planes were lost due to cooling system damage. The big coolers on bellys/wings of Yaks, P-51, Hurricanes, Bf109s can be shot through now and nothing happens. On the other hand, P40 needs just one MG17 bullets throught her cooler and the engine screams.. so it should be on all planes. If it is possible to code oil cooler on IL-2 to be vulnerable, why not on other planes.
2) IL-2 damage mode: in many books I read, the good shot into the oil cooler of IL-2 caused oil leak and after a while a fire from the engine bottom. Can we get this?
In memoir of Finnish pilot, they told the vulnerable part of IL-2 was the wing root, usually IL-2 caught fire after being shot there. Dunno since the fuel tank is in the fuselage..
3) glycol leak: in the books I read, pilots reported the glycol literally streaked out/poured out the damaged plane, letting dense white trace behind the plane. In FB, the thin veil of glycol is rare and somehow weak.
4) Can be add more variety like fire only from the engine bottom or small fire from the fuselage, or, on the other hand, the fire catching both engine and the whole wing? In the guncameras from Pacific, the Zekes are turned into really huge fireballs quite often.

---------------------
Letka.13/Liptow @ HL

VMF513_Sandman
05-06-2004, 01:55 PM
how about the ability to ignite the plume of leaking gas with the 50 cal tracers? ya cant tell me that incenderary shells wouldnt cause a fuel leak to backflash all the way back to the source and cause either a fuel tank explosion or at the very least, a burning plane. it was well known that the zero's and non-sealing gas tanks would catch fire and blow apart from ignited gas from incendary rounds...be it aaa or a/c guns.
how about more realistic ground damage? if u blow a fuel storage area, fires continue to burn untill the gas is gone. smoke that comes from bombed hangers...even bombed cities catching fire with smoke plumes.
liquid cooled engines would be more vunerable to either ground or a/c fire vs air cooled, but it does seem that catching rounds in the oil coolers or tank the oil doesnt drain as fast as it would if u were to shoot a actual plane. those mg shells would make a big hole. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/smileys-gun2.gif

WWMaxGunz
05-06-2004, 02:44 PM
Fuel fire backtraces how fast? Over 200mph? I don't think so.

I gotta agree with Jurinko and add that Zeroes or at least some of them had magnesium skins and that is what made the huge, bright fireballs. It's been noted that that's how you can tell original film from the war against recreation film is the flare bright light of a burning Zero that overwhelmed the film itself, just a big blinding whitespot in the picture.

Can I say gimmie? Sure. Will I get it? Maybe.

Neal

LuftLuver
05-06-2004, 04:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jurinko:
1) glycol coolers should be vulnerable. Most of glycol-cooled planes were lost due to cooling system damage. The big coolers on bellys/wings of Yaks, P-51, Hurricanes, Bf109s can be shot through now and nothing happens. On the other hand, P40 needs just one MG17 bullets throught her cooler and the engine screams.. so it should be on all planes. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is not accurate either.

A hit to the cooling system / rad, should cause a leak which leads to EVENTUAL engine failure. Maybe 2, 5 or 10 minutes....depends on the amount of coolant being lost and how hard the pilot pushes what's left of his motor.

However, in AEP we get this idiotic one hit to the radiator and the prop instantly freezes. It is particularly rediculous with the P51. Please fix that Oleg and 1C.

You are correct about coolant leaks. I wasn't even aware FB modeled them because I don't recall seeing one. Steaming, pressurized coolant leaks should put on quite a show.

β"Άβ"Άβ"Άβ"Άβ"Άβ"Άβ"Άβ"Άβ"Άβ"Άβ"Άβ"Άβ"Άβ"Άβ"Άβ"Άβ"Άβ"Άβ"Άβ"Άβ"Άβ"Άβ"Άβ"Άβ"Άβ"Άβ"Άβ"Άβ"Άβ"Άβ"Άβ"Άβ"Άβ"Άβ"Άβ"Άβ"Άβ"Άβ"Άβ"Άβ"Άβ"Άβ"Άβ"Ά
"All your bases are belong to us."

Vortex_uk
05-06-2004, 04:43 PM
Burn marks,after your engine or fuel tank has been hit and a fire breaks out,then stops,black burn marks on the place where the fire broke out.

Propellor blades being shot off would be nice too.

Better spins when a wing is shot off in mid-air,if your see an old WW2 film,you see that the plane that looses his wing would make at least 2-3 rolls in a second,in a kind of corkscrew.Have yet to see this in FB as i havn't yet,or does it exist?

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

http://img63.photobucket.com/albums/v193/Vortex_uk/zerosaburo.jpg

"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction. " ~ Gen. MacArthur

HyperLobby name : Vortex_uk

BlitzPig_DDT
05-06-2004, 06:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WWMaxGunz:
Fuel fire backtraces how fast? Over 200mph? I don't think so.

I gotta agree with Jurinko and add that Zeroes or at least some of them had magnesium skins and that is what made the huge, bright fireballs. It's been noted that that's how you can tell original film from the war against recreation film is the flare bright light of a burning Zero that overwhelmed the film itself, just a big blinding whitespot in the picture.

Can I say gimmie? Sure. Will I get it? Maybe.

Neal<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well....it wouldn't have to follow a long fuse like trail. Just get rounds (even non-incendiaries are quite hot) close enough to the leak and it should ignite. Then it only has to go a few inches.

I think that does happen occasionally in FB now anyway. Or at least it seems that way sometimes.

In reference to the magnesium skins, the zeros we have now seem way too flame ******ant. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

==================================
The Blitz Pigs - Not a squad, a Movement!

Come and spam on our front porch.

http://www.blitzpigs.com