PDA

View Full Version : Why does Unity incur so much wrath?

Norrin_Radd_1966
02-23-2015, 05:29 PM
I am late to the game. Just started Unity and I am halfway through it. I understand it had a troubling launch.

However, after all of the patches the game plays better, no? I have experienced only ONE instance of something not right - and it was just some floating flowers in the middle of a street corner. And I find the story, so far, to be on par with what I would expect in an AC game. Not to mention it's a very beautiful game. It seems to me to be a pretty high quality AC experience.

So, why does it still garner all sorts of hate and snideness? Is it just leftover bitterness due to the launch issues? Does the community find something else fundamentally flawed in this iteration? What is it? I mean, I loved Black Flag and so far, I'm having as much fun with Unity as I did with BF. What am I missing?

Thanks!

Jackdaw951
02-23-2015, 05:42 PM
They've come a long way in fixing the issues, and the last patch (#5) also completely backpedals on the lousy extraneous stuff (Initiates, companion app--both not needed anymore). If you're just now getting into it, you have a lot of fellow gamers to thank for helping Ubisoft to complete the game properly, and for strenuously opposing the locking of game content behind external apps. We've endured quite a bit of grief since early November. The worst for me was the forced re-download of the entire 40GB game when all I was supposed to get was a 6.7GB patch.

So, have fun! There is a lot of that here to be had. This is still my most-played game on my new console. (It came with the game. ;) ) For all its flaws, it's quite compelling, and downright addictive.

Shahkulu101
02-23-2015, 05:47 PM
Apart from bugs, a lot of people dislike the story, hate challenging combat and want more linear missions.

Journey93
02-23-2015, 05:59 PM
because it sucks?
the performance problems are hardly the only thing wrong with it

the story is pretty bad, the protagonist boring, no MD storyline etc.

It has good gameplay and great graphics thats it

aL_____eX
02-23-2015, 08:18 PM
Apart from bugs, a lot of people dislike the story, hate challenging combat and want more linear missions.
I know you're being sarcastic, but Unity's story was mediocre.

Assassin_M
02-23-2015, 08:41 PM
Story, bugs, instability and transmedia.

Norrin_Radd_1966
02-23-2015, 09:24 PM
Story, bugs, instability and transmedia.

Okay - I get that, but so far halfway throughout MY play through (now with all the patches), bugs, instability and transmedia are no longer issues (at least so far). That just leaves story, right?

And if story is the only remaining gripe, isn't that really just a matter of preference? Or is there something larger looming in the AC universe that Unity somehow disrupts or rewrites?

Assassin_M
02-23-2015, 09:27 PM
And if story is the only remaining gripe, isn't that really just a matter of preference? Or is there something larger looming in the AC universe that Unity somehow disrupts or rewrites?
Of course it's a matter of preference. Some people talk about it as an objective thing but i believe it's an honest interpretation of their opinion, not an attempt to make it objective. I myself don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be. I loved Unity's story and Arno, I have my complaints and there ARE objective flaws but it's all down to preference as you said and on the larger scale, it didn't appeal to most people unfortunately.

aL_____eX
02-23-2015, 09:39 PM
Okay - I get that, but so far halfway throughout MY play through (now with all the patches), bugs, instability and transmedia are no longer issues (at least so far). That just leaves story, right?

That's no excuse imo, they were there for people who pre-ordered this game or got it on launch (some people paid 150 bucks for this, which of course include collectibles and stuff as well) and people had to deal with those problems or stop playing the game. Fair enough, the game has been fixed to a functionality of 90% - the performance is still horrendous on PS4 - nearly 4 months after release.

Assassin_M
02-23-2015, 09:40 PM
That's no excuse imo, they were there for people who pre-ordered this game or got it on launch (some people paid 150 bucks for this, which of course include collectibles and stuff as well) and people had to deal with those problems or stop playing the game. Fair enough, the game has been fixed to a functionality of 90% - the performance is still horrendous on PS4 - nearly 4 months after release.
He did say "his playthrough". he made no excuses.

aL_____eX
02-23-2015, 09:42 PM
He did say "his playthrough". he made no excuses.
Oops, I bolded the wrong part of the sentence, (now with all the patches) are the keywords. Hope that makes my point clear. And I'm not saying he's/she's looking for excuses, just that this is no valid argument defending the state of the game before all those massive patches.

king-hailz
02-23-2015, 09:43 PM
Well I didn't have any glitches on my first play through. I just thought it had the worst story an AC game has ever Had, and that includes all the DLC's and everything else.

Assassin_M
02-23-2015, 09:45 PM
just that this is no valid argument defending the state of the game before all those massive patches.
He wasn't really arguing anything. He just said that since those are out of the way (since it's his playthrough), lets talk story.

aL_____eX
02-23-2015, 09:48 PM
He wasn't really arguing anything. He just said that since those are out of the way (since it's his playthrough), lets talk story.
Sorry, I'm not starting an argument about my words you interpret wrong.

Unity's story is its weakest point, apart from performance problems imo. Worst story in the series - it tried to hard to tell both a love story and the story of a revolution. In the end it achieved none.

Assassin_M
02-23-2015, 09:52 PM
Sorry, I'm not starting an argument about my words you interpret wrong.
You called someone out on a wrong basis, there's nothing to interpret here.

Unity's story is its weakest point, apart from performance problems imo. Worst story in the series - it tried to hard to tell both a love story and the story of a revolution. In the end it achieved none.
Sorry, I'm not arguing Unity's story.

aL_____eX
02-23-2015, 09:55 PM
You called someone out on a wrong basis, there's nothing to interpret here.
Just to make one thing clear. By 'There's no excuse' I meant, there's no excuse for the state Ubisoft released their game in. It's good to see, people are able to play the game now without problems, but it hasn't always been like this. And there is NO excuse for Unity's ridiculous launch, there's NO excuse for 4 months of broken transmedia stuff and there's NO excuse for (still) dipping framerates.

I didn't try to criticize the OP with one single word, I was talking about Ubisoft. Sorry if my words left room for misinterpretation.

Assassin_M
02-23-2015, 09:57 PM
I didn't try to criticize the OP with one single word, I was talking about Ubisoft. Sorry if my words left room for misinterpretation.
Yeah, I just saw it came out of nowhere, so it felt unwarranted.

No apologies needed.

DemonLord4lf
02-23-2015, 09:59 PM
oooo a debate over nothing

http://9thcivic.com/gallery/albums/post/joker_eatin_popcorn_by_capnectoplasm_d39sa07_1.gif

@Assassin_M and al____ex

Assassin_M
02-23-2015, 10:03 PM
oooo a debate over nothing
I apologize for derailing the topic, I would hope you do better.

DemonLord4lf
02-23-2015, 10:09 PM
I apologize for derailing the topic, I would hope you do better.

Mui? Derail a topic? Never

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-coWh7L0AFXM/UlxE6V6NaHI/AAAAAAAAASI/6-EwNbrR_QE/s1600/The+Joker.gif

I'll ride this topic the whole way :D

As for why so much hate. Unity just has a story line that felt like a rough draft. If you ignore the all the side content and focus entirely on the story. You'll start to understand what i mean. The side content basically distracts you from the lack of a good story.

Hans684
02-23-2015, 10:43 PM
Because it's [arguably] a bigger filler than Liberation or any other handheld AC's.

playlisting
02-23-2015, 10:49 PM
the performance is still horrendous on PS4 - nearly 4 months after release.

Really? I watched a video recently and the performance seemed to be pretty solid. Is it improved over patch 4 at the least?

Xstantin
02-23-2015, 10:50 PM
^still not silky

aL_____eX
02-23-2015, 10:51 PM
Really? I watched a video recently and the performance seemed to be pretty solid. Is it improved over patch 4 at the least?
It is indeed. But in huge places like at Hotel de Ville or Notre Dame, I still get massive frame drops even after Patch 5. Maybe I'm just too hypersensitive for things like that. :confused:

Norrin_Radd_1966
02-23-2015, 11:18 PM
No worries everyone!

I guess I just wanted to know, since it appears unity is mechanically running very well, why is it that people still harp on this game?

I get that it had a ton of launch problems. And as far as performance, as I noted in my original post, I haven't noticed anything that is worth complaining about. I have not noticed the frame rate drop issues. However, I have never been one who could detect such a thing short of pure stuttering.

I'm just wondering two things:

One, what is there to prevent this game from being recommended to new players?

Two, I understand that this game launched with some severe problems and that many of you had to suffer through them. I'm just wondering, if you had never had that initial experience, or if you just did a completely new fresh play through, would your opinion of this game be much different? In other words, has anybody who played the game when it was suffering all those horrible issues, gone back and started a fresh Playthru and completed the game again? If you have, did it change your overall opinion of the game?

And I think we all can agree that we are all going to experience the story part of the game differently from each other based on exorctations and preconceptions and that arguing over the quality of the story is really just arguing over our own personal preference, and therefore probably a giant waste of time!

DemonLord4lf
02-23-2015, 11:26 PM
No worries everyone!

I guess I just wanted to know, since it appears unity is mechanically running very well, why is it that people still harp on this game?

I get that it had a ton of launch problems. And as far as performance, as I noted in my original post, I haven't noticed anything that is worth complaining about. I have not noticed the frame rate drop issues. However, I have never been one who could detect such a thing short of pure stuttering.

I'm just wondering two things:

One, what is there to prevent this game from being recommended to new players?

Two, I understand that this game launched with some severe problems and that many of you had to suffer through them. I'm just wondering, if you had never had that initial experience, or if you just did a completely new fresh play through, would your opinion of this game be much different? In other words, has anybody who played the game when it was suffering all those horrible issues, gone back and started a fresh Playthru and completed the game again? If you have, did it change your overall opinion of the game?

And I think we all can agree that we are all going to experience the story part of the game differently from each other based on exorctations and preconceptions and that arguing over the quality of the story is really just arguing over our own personal preference, and therefore probably a giant waste of time!

To me Unity was just a stand alone game. The story was mediocre at best, combat was frustrating, no it wasn't harder, it was complicated and not fluid. There was too many collectibles that had no point in being collected. The map was big but only had filler content, the story didn't use all of the map.

SixKeys
02-23-2015, 11:29 PM
Because it's [arguably] a bigger filler than Liberation or any other handheld AC's.

Why filler?

Hans684
02-24-2015, 05:49 AM
Why filler?

The story is a waste of time and the ending game make it clear.

JustPlainQuirky
02-24-2015, 05:51 AM
@OP

Story + Transmedia + Bugs

These are the main reasons

DemonLord4lf
02-24-2015, 05:52 AM
It's a waste of time and the ending game make it clear.

Liberation had potential. However, Ubisoft completely dropped the ball on it. We hear more about Lady Eve and how she was the one that rose up against the First Civ, then nothing. We've heard nothing about Lady Eve. With Lady Juno, they hide tidbits behind the collectibles, but nothing for Lady Eve. Liberation was a decent game for a handheld. The story was pretty weak, but as I stated it had potential.

JustPlainQuirky
02-24-2015, 05:56 AM

I agree with this assessment

I felt ACIV's MD was filler

but lord Unity's MD made me really lose all hope

Hans684
02-24-2015, 06:04 AM
Liberation had potential. However, Ubisoft completely dropped the ball on it. We hear more about Lady Eve and how she was the one that rose up against the First Civ, then nothing. We've heard nothing about Lady Eve. With Lady Juno, they hide tidbits behind the collectibles, but nothing for Lady Eve. Liberation was a decent game for a handheld. The story was pretty weak, but as I stated it had potential.

It's a handheld and lacks resources, it's meant to be filler. It's a side story but for a main game that's low standards.

DemonLord4lf
02-24-2015, 06:09 AM
It's a handheld and lacks resources, it's meant to be filler. It's a side story but for a main game that's low standards.

I never said it was a main game. I just said the story presented many opportunities for the story to expand. However Ubisoft seems content to just sweep that whole thing under the rug and try to forget about it.

Hans684
02-24-2015, 06:12 AM
I never said it was a main game. I just said the story presented many opportunities for the story to expand. However Ubisoft seems content to just sweep that whole thing under the rug and try to forget about it.

I was comparing Liberation with Unity, as for the story being as it was. Well it's another filler, it's going to be sweeper under the rug while missing opportunities so it's easier to just forget it along with Unity.

DemonLord4lf
02-24-2015, 06:14 AM
I was comparing Liberation with Unity, as for the story being as it was. Well it's another filler, it's going to be sweeper under the rug while missing opportunities so it's easier to just forget it along with Unity.

Oh my bad. Well let's see how they do with AC Victory. I may or may not pre-order it... I'm hoping they have a playable demo at either E3 or Anime Expo where I can get a chance to play it.

Hans684
02-24-2015, 06:17 AM
Oh my bad. Well let's see how they do with AC Victory. I may or may not pre-order it... I'm hoping they have a playable demo at either E3 or Anime Expo where I can get a chance to play it.

I don't have any hope for Victory, couldn't care less for Sam or his story unless it does something. So a demo isn't what I need, I need some leaks about the condition of MD.

DemonLord4lf
02-24-2015, 06:18 AM
I don't have any hope for Victory, couldn't care less for Sam or his story unless it does something. So a demo isn't what I need, I need some leaks about the condition of MD.

My thoughts on MD is this: Either do MD right or don't do it at all.

cawatrooper9
02-25-2015, 06:05 PM
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like almost any game that comes out these days is ripped to shreds. It's probably, at least in part, due to hype.

For instance, I've heard some pretty nasty things about The Order:1886 and eVolve, both games that I thought were going to be huge hits due to the amount of attention they received during production. Now that they're out, the reviews are much more negative than I expected. I don't think that's any different than Unity's case.

Fatal-Feit
02-25-2015, 06:08 PM
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like almost any game that comes out these days is ripped to shreds. It's probably, at least in part, due to hype.

For instance, I've heard some pretty nasty things about The Order:1886 and eVolve, both games that I thought were going to be huge hits due to the amount of attention they received during production. Now that they're out, the reviews are much more negative than I expected. I don't think that's any different than Unity's case.

No, it's not just you. The gaming community is in a very negative state. (it started with the next-gen consoles, I tell ya) The littlest of controversy will trigger people. I'd hate to be a gaming journalist at this time.

Xstantin
02-25-2015, 06:16 PM
80 meta or no buy

Hrafnagud72
02-25-2015, 09:16 PM
And the way Ubi handled the entire situation. Put a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths.

DemonLord4lf
02-25-2015, 09:53 PM
No, it's not just you. The gaming community is in a very negative state. (it started with the next-gen consoles, I tell ya) The littlest of controversy will trigger people. I'd hate to be a gaming journalist at this time.

Especially since The Order 1888 is actually selling pretty well. Now they're tripping all over themselves to say that people are stupid. SMH...