PDA

View Full Version : Would you recommend this series to a friend?

The_Kiwi_
02-21-2015, 07:55 AM
AC is one of the most popular franchises today, but a lot of people still haven't played it
Also, a few of the more recent instalments have gathered a lot of hate
So what I want to ask is this;
Would you recommend Assassin's Creed to a friend?

There are multiple options, choose the one that is best for you

DemonLord4lf
02-21-2015, 07:56 AM
Yes, but to avoid Unity.

The_Kiwi_
02-21-2015, 08:02 AM
Remember to vote

Namikaze_17
02-21-2015, 08:03 AM
I really haven't recommended it to anyone as they either know about the game or don't play video games. :rolleyes:

king-hailz
02-21-2015, 08:18 AM
I used to recommend it to everyone... not much so anymore since most of them have heard about it and most of them don't like it... to be honest even I'm startin to dislike it bit by bit if they carry on like they did with unity...

DemonLord4lf
02-21-2015, 08:19 AM
I used to recommend it to everyone... not much so anymore since most of them have heard about it and most of them don't like it... to be honest even I'm startin to dislike it bit by bit if they carry on like they did with unity...

Let's all just pretend Unity never happened and see what Victory has in store.

marvelfannumber
02-21-2015, 08:37 AM
Let's all just pretend Unity never happened and see what Victory has in store.

One must never forget the past, so that one can avoid making the same mistakes in the future.

DemonLord4lf
02-21-2015, 08:45 AM
One must never forget the past, so that one can avoid making the same mistakes in the future.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/59432299.jpg

marvelfannumber
02-21-2015, 08:49 AM
https://fbexternal-a.akamaihd.net/safe_image.php?d=AQBsqe-DPlx2QSMA&w=319&h=394&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.alltheragefaces.com%2Fimg%2Ff aces%2Flarge%2Fangry-no-l.png

DemonLord4lf
02-21-2015, 08:51 AM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/18026460.jpg

rrebe
02-21-2015, 10:17 AM
I really haven't recommended it to anyone as they either know about the game or don't play video games. :rolleyes:

Yeah same here :rolleyes:

But if I would recommend it, I'd recommend the entire series.

Shahkulu101
02-21-2015, 03:12 PM
I'd tell them to buy AC1 II, Brotherhood and IV. I like Unity a lot but the boring side content, wonky stealth and finicky navigation make it hard to recommend, because I'm a fan of the series I can tolerate those problems but others not so much. Revelations and 3, simply not very good games. And Rogue is Black Flags poorer cousin.

I suppose I'll vote the 'buy one or two and tell them to avoid particular ones' even though I'm actually recommending four.

The_Kiwi_
02-21-2015, 03:23 PM
I'd tell them to buy AC1 II, Brotherhood and IV. I like Unity a lot but the boring side content, wonky stealth and finicky navigation make it hard to recommend, because I'm a fan of the series I can tolerate those problems but others not so much. Revelations and 3, simply not very good games. And Rogue is Black Flags poorer cousin.

I suppose I'll vote the 'buy one or two and tell them to avoid particular ones' even though I'm actually recommending four.

Seeing as you aren't recommending chronological games, would you tell them to play AC2 and ACB before AC4, or would you tell them it wouldn't matter?

And yes, the option "Yes, but only 1 or 2 games, and I'd tell them to avoid some particular ones" counts for any number of recommendations, I just didn't want to clutter the poll option with too much description

Shahkulu101
02-21-2015, 03:26 PM
Seeing as you aren't recommending chronological games, would you tell them to play AC2 and ACB before AC4, or would you tell them it wouldn't matter?

And yes, the option "Yes, but only 1 or 2 games, and I'd tell them to avoid some particular ones" counts for any number of recommendations, I just didn't want to clutter the poll option with too much description

Yeah I'd tell them to play in order until they finished BH, and then tell them to move on to IV.

Fatal-Feit
02-21-2015, 03:31 PM
I'd recommend them to buy the whole series and judge for themselves. A member of my club in Unity casually jumped into the franchise and loved every single one of them.

If this was any other franchise like Gears of War, probably not, but Assassin's Creed is different story. Every game has its own flavor. The stories are different, protagonist changes, settings are diverse, and certain gameplay are unique to specific titles.

Hans684
02-21-2015, 04:14 PM
All except Unity.

king-hailz
02-21-2015, 04:17 PM
I guess it also depends on the person if it is someone who plays games for just the fact that theyre fun game then I would recommend AC2 Brotherhood and 4... However if they're into long going stories and into good stories in general then I wouldn't recommend it since they would just get annoyed of how it's become.

RADAR__4077
02-21-2015, 04:27 PM
I tell people to start at the beginning.

If they like the story, play it up to 3, but don't expect too much beyond that. (Don't stone me. I know 4 has a decent historical story, but that's where it starts feeling very disconnected from the rest of the series. Especially MD.)

If they don't care much for the story, I suggest going straight to black flag.

SpiritOfNevaeh
02-21-2015, 04:40 PM
If the person was a history buff, then I would recommend the whole series just so they can see what Ubisoft has done with history.

For regular gaming friends, I would still recommend everything except what the majority of others have said should be avoided. (i.e. Unity)

Xstantin
02-21-2015, 07:14 PM
Pretty much everybody knows about the games anyway. Otherwise I'd just say "go for the setting you might like and text me if you have questions".

I'd also tell them to ignore MD unless they get really interested

SixKeys
02-21-2015, 07:25 PM
I have in the past and probably would again but with some reservations. I would tell them to start with AC1 and regardless of how they felt about it, to give AC2 a try as well. If they liked AC2, I would recommend ACB and AC4. I would probably tell them to skip ACR and AC3, and to wait until Unity was really cheap due to all the problems that still persist.

AssassinHMS
02-21-2015, 08:04 PM
No.
Not that there isnít anything to like about the games, itís quite the opposite actually. The risk of liking the franchise too much is the reason why I wouldnít recommend it to a friend. Having the ability to recognize the potential and knowing it will be left to rot is saddening. Because, as a reasonably intelligent gamer, thereís nothing worse than following a franchise that could reach greatness but is doomed to be average (at best) because the people making it need to dumb it down for the big, idiotic market.

Jackdaw951
02-21-2015, 08:12 PM
"Yes, most of the series, but I would stick to the major titles and avoid any portable and other funky offshoots." Oh, wait. That option is not in the poll. Guess I'll have to grudgingly vote for the whole series.

I'd go a little further and say avoid Revelations and perhaps AC3. But I'm starting to vacillate on AC3, because it's the one hole in my otherwise perfect participation in the major titles. I can't imagine my gaming experience over the past 7-8 years without AC.

GunnerGalactico
02-21-2015, 08:19 PM
Well, I would actually recommend all games to a friend and let them determine for themselves which ones they like or dislike. However, I would tell them to skip all the handheld games and Liberation altogether.

Altair1789
02-21-2015, 08:19 PM
I'd not recommend the entire series for a few reasons. 1: the earlier games would probably bore them, and 2: The newer games are starting to be less connected to the first few games, so only a small explanation on the background story would be needed

The_Kiwi_
02-21-2015, 11:35 PM
Don't count spinoffs as part of the series for the sake of making the poll less cluttered

SixKeys
02-21-2015, 11:42 PM
No.
Not that there isn’t anything to like about the games, it’s quite the opposite actually. The risk of liking the franchise too much is the reason why I wouldn’t recommend it to a friend. Having the ability to recognize the potential and knowing it will be left to rot is saddening. Because, as a reasonably intelligent gamer, there’s nothing worse than following a franchise that could reach greatness but is doomed to be average (at best) because the people making it need to dumb it down for the big, idiotic market.

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/first-rule-of-being-a-hipster.jpg

Shahkulu101
02-21-2015, 11:46 PM
^ He actually makes a good point.

The series potential will never be fully realized because Ubi need to reach the casual market. I can personally live with that because it's unrealistic to expect any different from a AAA publisher, but I'm still disappointed by it.

The series could be so much more. It took 7 games for them to actually attempt to improve the core mechanics in a meaningful way (UNITY) and there's still considerable problems with them.

AtomicQuotient
02-21-2015, 11:48 PM
I am new to the series and have only played Unity. I loved it, well made, graphics were amazing. There some small annoying things, but overall is a first class game.

Would definitely recommend it. I am going to give Black Flag a try, but want to give AC a bit of a rest, still got lots to do in Unity, would like to clear all the chests.

On the positive note, they now allow you to open the blue chests without the app, I thought the crappy companion app was the worst part of the game, I am glad they realized it, although I find the blue chests a waste of time and the missions silly, but I just assumed they somehow moved the missions from the app into the game.

8/10 for me.

The_Kiwi_
02-21-2015, 11:55 PM
I am new to the series and have only played Unity. I loved it, well made, graphics were amazing. There some small annoying things, but overall is a first class game.

Would definitely recommend it. I am going to give Black Flag a try, but want to give AC a bit of a rest, still got lots to do in Unity, would like to clear all the chests.

On the positive note, they now allow you to open the blue chests without the app, I thought the crappy companion app was the worst part of the game, I am glad they realized it, although I find the blue chests a waste of time and the missions silly, but I just assumed they somehow moved the missions from the app into the game.

8/10 for me.

I don't want to seem a cynic here, but if you had played previous AC games before Unity, then your impression of Unity would probably be a lot lower
It makes you one of the lucky ones I guess
I recommend you play them all from the start, in order, so you know what you've been missing *cough*MD*cough*

Bleem7
02-22-2015, 12:22 AM
I would definitely recommend the series to anyone who likes history, but I'd let them decide which games they want to try out depending on their tastes. I don't even know in what sequence they should play because everybody has totally different opinions. But if they wanted to become really devoted fans and know everything to the bone, then they would have to play all of them, including the not so good ones.

The series potential will never be fully realized because Ubi need to reach the casual market. I can personally live with that because it's unrealistic to expect any different from a AAA publisher, but I'm still disappointed by it.
You know, I'm kinda seeing that in the whole gaming industry in general. That's like one of the reasons it's not being taken so seriously; a lot of developers keep aiming to reach out to as many people as possible, casual gamers or not, and we just end up with these plain-ish games that don't have that spark because they are not targeted to a specific gaming community. I don't know, but it's just the impression I'm getting.

SixKeys
02-22-2015, 01:46 AM

The series could be so much more. It took 7 games for them to actually attempt to improve the core mechanics in a meaningful way (UNITY) and there's still considerable problems with them.

Yeah, but he's been singing the same song since AC1. At this point he wouldn't be satisfied even if Ubi did release a perfect AC game.

AssassinHMS
02-22-2015, 02:31 AM

Not to mention the market isn’t exactly happy with the change (which means Ubi isn't happy with the change either). Of course most won’t explicitly say it and will attempt to find weak excuses but they want the gameplay to be dumbed down again, to reach levels closer to previous AC games.
I know it’s unrealistic to expect any different from AAA publishers but that doesn’t mean I’m ok with it. These games aren’t just disappointing to me anymore, they’re offensive (except for Unity which is digestible).

Yeah, but he's been singing the same song since AC1. At this point he wouldn't be satisfied even if Ubi did release a perfect AC game.
Right...
In a way, I am already quite pleased with Unity.

And is your song so different from mine?

The_Kiwi_
02-22-2015, 04:24 AM
Who here would recommend playing what games in order to prepare for Victory?
Or who would just tell them to play Victory without catching up?

I personally would just say play Victory, because if its anything like Unity, then previous games won't matter

Namikaze_17
02-22-2015, 04:35 AM
Who here would recommend playing what games in order to prepare for Victory?
Or who would just tell them to play Victory without catching up?

I personally would just say play Victory, because if its anything like Unity, then previous games won't matter

I would say AC4 & Rogue as the MD's there hint Unity & Victory.

But Unity connects to neither so...

And Desmond Saga? Nah.

JustPlainQuirky
02-22-2015, 04:36 AM
I paid 30 dollars out of pocket to get a friend to try an AC game.

And it crashed on her computer.

SixKeys
02-22-2015, 04:38 AM
And is your song so different from mine?

Yes, I think so. I would recommend more than one game for a start, and let the person decide for themselves whether they want more and what things they appreciate in games. I told a friend of mine ACR wasn't worth it, she played it anyway and it ended up being her favorite in the series. I don't treat her like a dirty casual or an unintelligent person for it. You, OTOH, immediately went "any reasonably intelligent gamer would eschew this franchise because it's soooo average now. Also, I liked AC before it was mainstream".

AssassinHMS
02-22-2015, 07:07 AM
Yes, I think so. I would recommend more than one game for a start, and let the person decide for themselves whether they want more and what things they appreciate in games. I told a friend of mine ACR wasn't worth it, she played it anyway and it ended up being her favorite in the series. I don't treat her like a dirty casual or an unintelligent person for it. You, OTOH, immediately went "any reasonably intelligent gamer would eschew this franchise because it's soooo average now. Also, I liked AC before it was mainstream".

You’re trying too hard…

I don’t know why you think there’s a relation between someone’s favorite AC game and their level of intelligence. A person’s favorite AC tittle has nothing to do with their intelligence, failing to admit that particular game’s flaws however…
But, since you seem to be having trouble understanding my song, I’ll play it slower for you. What I said, was that any reasonably intelligent gamer, who paid minimal attention while playing the games, should understand that AC would benefit immensely from going against the Market’s desires. You need to be somewhat intelligent in order to recognize AC's potential through the midst of features thrown your way and attempts to conceal the obvious, otherwise, you might not even notice that you're playing a relatively inferior version of the original title over and over with a different coat plus some extras.

And AC was always pretty much average, the difference is that it had an excuse until AC2, now, on the other hand, it’s more than clear that AC is average because it wants to stay average (slightly less so with Unity on a few matters).

Wouldn't you agree?

SixKeys
02-22-2015, 02:20 PM
You’re trying too hard…

I don’t know why you think there’s a relation between someone’s favorite AC game and their level of intelligence. A person’s favorite AC tittle has nothing to do with their intelligence, failing to admit that particular game’s flaws however…

Even failing to admit a game's flaws has nothing to do with intelligence, but I don't think I've ever met a single person who thinks their favorite game is totally perfect anyway. Some people just don't get hung up on flaws because they consider them unintrusive enough that they don't detract from their overall enjoyment of the game. That's not a mark of lack of intelligence, just different priorities. And then there's the fact that what some people see as flaws, others don't. Some people here think it's a flaw that Unity used British accents instead of French ones, I disagree. Some people think AC would benefit from more linearity, others disagree. It doesn't mean one group is less intelligent, just that they have different wishes and priorities.

But, since you seem to be having trouble understanding my song, I’ll play it slower for you. What I said, was that any reasonably intelligent gamer, who paid minimal attention while playing the games, should understand that AC would benefit immensely from going against the Market’s desires. You need to be somewhat intelligent in order to recognize AC's potential through the midst of features thrown your way and attempts to conceal the obvious, otherwise, you might not even notice that you're playing a relatively inferior version of the original title over and over with a different coat plus some extras.

Again, your use of the word "intelligence" is baffling. If someone prefers AC2's or AC4's GTA style over AC1, what does that have anything to do with their intelligence? What makes you the judge on what is the only true way to approach a franchise that spans over 10 games and counting? If you prefer AC1's sneaking and stabbing, good for you. If my friend prefers the linearity of ACR in missions like Forum of the Ox, good for her. I'm not going to tell her she's wrong or stupid for having different preferences. We can argue about what AC was originally meant to be, but that has clearly changed in the course of 7+ years. Most people outside these forums regard AC1 as an intriguing but failed experiment. Many of them view AC2 as the penultimate fulfilled promise of what the series could be at its best, even though that game was in many ways wildly different from AC1. What is really the "true" essence of the series, 7 years down the line? The one that perhaps more closely resembled the creators' original vision, or the one that players actually wanted more of?

And AC was always pretty much average, the difference is that it had an excuse until AC2, now, on the other hand, it’s more than clear that AC is average because it wants to stay average (slightly less so with Unity on a few matters).

Wouldn't you agree?

No, I wouldn't. I disagree that AC has always been average or that it is necessarily average now.

aL_____eX
02-22-2015, 07:31 PM
I would say AC4 & Rogue as the MD's there hint Unity & Victory.

But Unity connects to neither so...

And Desmond Saga? Nah.
ACIV might be a good point to start but Rogue? You'd have to play ACIII then to get the connections which are very important.

I suggested the series to many of my friends, they either don't like the genre or don't play games. :rolleyes: And I always suggested starting with AC1 which I would still do. Playing the games in order is the only thing that makes sense to me in terms of understanding the story and if you're really interested in history/the AC lore. If you only want to play a cool 3rd person open world game, then ACIV or Unity would be my first choice. Unity because of 'next gen' mechanics and graphics and ACIV because it's an awesome standalone open world game.

Assassin_M
02-22-2015, 07:45 PM
I wouldn't recommend it out of the blue, so no. I recommend games on priority. My priority for AC games is the immersive historical world. It's pretty much a given that AC's next city, next country, next whatever will be amazingly immersive, as I was never disappointed by an AC setting so far. Thing is, I don't think i'm in a majority, so to speak. I don't think I know a lot of people whose MAIN ATTRACTION to a game depends on the historical immersion.

AssassinHMS
02-23-2015, 04:22 PM
Even failing to admit a game's flaws has nothing to do with intelligence, but I don't think I've ever met a single person who thinks their favorite game is totally perfect anyway. Some people just don't get hung up on flaws because they consider them unintrusive enough that they don't detract from their overall enjoyment of the game. That's not a mark of lack of intelligence, just different priorities. And then there's the fact that what some people see as flaws, others don't. Some people here think it's a flaw that Unity used British accents instead of French ones, I disagree. Some people think AC would benefit from more linearity, others disagree. It doesn't mean one group is less intelligent, just that they have different wishes and priorities

Intelligence (in general) can be displayed in countless ways. Not allowing emotions or feelings to cloud one's judgment is definitely one of them.
It’s easy to forgive a game’s flaws when we have some sort of emotional connection with it. I’ve seen, time and time again, people defending their favorite games and using every excuse they could find just so they didn’t have to admit the game’s obvious flaws.
Every day I see people mindlessly base their words, actions and decisions on emotion rather than on reason.
In my dictionary, this is nothing more than a common display of stupidity. It’s easy to go with the flow and be driven by emotions. Suppressing emotions on the other hand and thinking hard more often is a virtue.

In this case, what matters isn’t whether someone personally thinks (or wants to think; or claims they think) that something about the game isn’t intrusive to them. What matters is whether something is objectively inferior or superior/better or worse.
Example, just because I personally enjoy naval battles, doesn’t mean I can’t understand or acknowledge their negative impact on the game.
Or just because I personally like, dislike or am not bothered by a particular feature, doesn’t stop me from evaluating it using objectivity alone. Sure, it’s easier to keep pretending and finding excuses that go along with our wishes but I call that “lack of Intelligence”.

Now, if someone fails to see the problem because they didn’t quite understand the situation rather than denying the problem’s existence simply because it doesn’t bother them or because they wish it didn’t bother them, then that’s different and it’s totally fine.

Same thing with AC’s linearity and stuff. I know some prefer more linearity while others don’t, and again, preferences have nothing to do with intelligence. It’s being able to put those personal preferences aside and see what would be more beneficial for the game that allows discussions to go somewhere meaningful.

Like AC’s difficulty. Most arguments you’ll hear against difficult combat are: “The combat is boring now. It’s too slow. I’m an assassin, I should be able to eliminate a few guards quickly and without much effort.”; “I like to take on entire armies.” etc.
As you can see, these “arguments” are based strictly on their personal preferences. It’s not about what is good for the game, what will help improve or balance the core, it’s about THEM and their feelings. THEY find it boring, THEY find it slow, THEY don’t feel like assassins, blah blah blah…Who cares!? This isn’t about THEM, this is about the game. These are all displays of lack of intelligence as far as I’m concerned.

Wishes and Priorities mean nothing in the real world and we would all benefit if they were kept inside everyone’s heads, especially during serious discussions.

Again, your use of the word "intelligence" is baffling. If someone prefers AC2's or AC4's GTA style over AC1, what does that have anything to do with their intelligence? What makes you the judge on what is the only true way to approach a franchise that spans over 10 games and counting? If you prefer AC1's sneaking and stabbing, good for you. If my friend prefers the linearity of ACR in missions like Forum of the Ox, good for her. I'm not going to tell her she's wrong or stupid for having different preferences. We can argue about what AC was originally meant to be, but that has clearly changed in the course of 7+ years. Most people outside these forums regard AC1 as an intriguing but failed experiment. Many of them view AC2 as the penultimate fulfilled promise of what the series could be at its best, even though that game was in many ways wildly different from AC1. What is really the "true" essence of the series, 7 years down the line? The one that perhaps more closely resembled the creators' original vision, or the one that players actually wanted more of?

I think I already covered this point but just to be sure…preferences matter nothing here. Whether someone prefers ACR or AC3, linear or open missions, etc. is not relevant to the topic. If I am asked “What does AC need to become better?” I won’t think “Well, PERSONALLY, I would like if…” but rather “Well, this is the core of the game…so what would be beneficial and what would hinder it?”. Get it? There’s a difference here. It matters not what I want but rather what the game “wants”. Of course everything is still seen from our unique point of view but that doesn’t matter as long as we stick to the “facts”.

For example:
Well, I prefer AC2’s style over AC1’s but, is that style better for AC? Sure, linear missions make for a better fast paced action driven experience (which is what I personally like), however, Assassin’s Creed is, at its core, a stealth game. That means the game wants the player to use stealth although it also provides a more direct approach, combat, (which is discouraged). And after all, the game talks about Assassins, masters of stealth who strike in the heart of the crowd and plan every detail of their missions so that they don’t break any of the 3 tenets. So, this means that, what would benefit a game like this, is a more slow paced experience where the player has the freedom to approach missions the way he wants but fully aware of the risks and consequences, all in an open environment that allows for exploration and that is capable of providing all the different methods to approach the mission. As such, linear missions aren’t beneficial for AC’s core, even if I personally prefer them. And therefore, AC1’s style is the logical way to go.
Of course this is over simplistic but I think you get the point.

It’s not about having preferences, it’s about knowing when they matter and when they don’t and making an effort to ignore them when necessary for the discussion.
Now that is intelligent.

No, I wouldn't. I disagree that AC has always been average or that it is necessarily average now.

Fine, we don’t need to share the same point of view for our songs to be the same.