PDA

View Full Version : Clean Way to Kill La Touché

Shahkulu101
02-20-2015, 08:06 PM
So the La Touché assassination is pretty cool, sneaking into the jail and being walked to the gallows with La Touché standing right there.

Thing is, that's a terrible way to assassinate someone - completely exposed and surrounded by guards. Is there something, an action or technique, that I'm missing that allows me to take him out cleanly and undetected? I've been 'perfecting' all the assassinations and figuring out the way to do them as efficiently as possible but the La Touché one is the only assassination I'm having real trouble with.

SixKeys
02-20-2015, 08:20 PM
So the La Touché assassination is pretty cool, sneaking into the jail and being walked to the gallows with La Touché standing right there.

Thing is, that's a terrible way to assassinate someone - completely exposed and surrounded by guards. Is there something, an action or technique, that I'm missing that allows me to take him out cleanly and undetected? I've been 'perfecting' all the assassinations and figuring out the way to do them as efficiently as possible but the La Touché one is the only assassination I'm having real trouble with.

Poison bombs and/or berserker darts?

aL_____eX
02-20-2015, 08:22 PM
Aren't there two polls right next to the Guillotine spot from which you can easily air-assassinate him? You'd just have to take out the guards and access them by roof.

Btw, I found this to be the coolest Assassination in Unity, except for the stupid optional objectives.

Perk89
02-20-2015, 08:24 PM
Honestly, the fact that the Sivert assassination was one of the only parts of the game showcased should've been a red flag.

ALL Assassinations need to be like that, except even deeper. Most of Unity's assassinations beyond that were awful. 90% of them were some target standing motionless on an elevated platform, with guards standing lifelessly around him in every single direction. It was horribly unrealistic, and horribly unfun.

I dont like most of what Ubisoft has done to incorporate RPGesque elements into the game, but this is an area where they need to do it. Give us branching paths to each Assassination that are EQUALLY exciting (seriously, does anyone wanna do anything other than kill him in the booth?) Give us variable objectives that lead to different paths-I don't mean multiple windows or doors or whatever-but actual optional objectives like "steal the keys" that individually take us down a certain path to their own personal unique assassination and each one needs to be as good and as tense as the booth kill. Allow us to choose a certain path (again, not windows or doors but an actual quest route) that takes us to DIFFERING unique kills like the Sivert one. Want to sneak into the target's party and poison him? Do it. Want to wait until after the party for him to go to bed and get him there? Do it. Etc etc.

the "branching paths" shouldn't be a choice of combat or stealth (that's going to happen regardless) of entering through the first floor window or second floor window.
it should be a completely special and personal experience every time. Don't be afraid to put the work in. This is the game's point, it's purpose-make sure that it's great.

its a lot of work yeah, but this IS the game. This is the game's thing. Don't be afraid to go all out.

Perk89
02-20-2015, 08:26 PM
Also, fix the stealth system, hivemind, unrealistic guards, and insane amounts of them (seriously how does a secret order recruit so many people) and I'll be just peachy.

I-Like-Pie45
02-20-2015, 08:28 PM
Send a scanner after him

SixKeys
02-20-2015, 08:34 PM
Honestly, the fact that the Sivert assassination was one of the only parts of the game showcased should've been a red flag.

ALL Assassinations need to be like that, except even deeper. Most of Unity's assassinations beyond that were awful. 90% of them were some target standing on an elevated platform, with guards standing lifelessly around him in every single direction. It was horribly unrealistic, and horribly unfun.

Disagree. I really liked most of Unity's main assassinations. If you do the optional objectives each time, they change the dynamics of the mission radically. Like you can lure the woman (forgot her name) to the window to watch fireworks, poison your target's wine and make him move to his study etc.

I dont like most of what Ubisoft has done to incorporate RPGesque elements into the game, but this is an area where they need to do it. Give us branching paths to each Assassination that are EQUALLY exciting (seriously, does anyone wanna do anything other than kill him in the booth?) Give us variable objectives that lead to different paths-I don't mean multiple windows or doors or whatever-but actual optional objectives like "steal the keys" that individually take us down a certain path to their own personal unique assassination and each one needs to be as good and as tense as the booth kill. Allow us to choose a certain path (again, not windows or doors but an actual quest route) that takes us to DIFFERING unique kills like the Sivert one. Want to sneak into the target's party and poison him? Do it. Want to wait until after the party for him to go to bed and get him there? Do it. Etc etc.

This I totally agree with. From the demos it seemed like that's what the optional objectives were going to be. Not just requirements to open up one special assassination, but opportunities for multiple unique kills. To be fair, Unity was the first new-gen AC. Hopefully we'll see more options going forward.

Fatal-Feit
02-20-2015, 08:36 PM
1. Take out all of the snipers around and nearby guards and throw a pathway of smoke bombs then run and stab.

2. Berserk/poison all of the guards first.

3. Berserk a bunch of the guards on the left to lure most of the others then disguise yourself and go from the right.

aL_____eX
02-20-2015, 08:37 PM
Yeah, hopefully they are finally done with optional objectives and give us more unique killing opportunities instead. :)

Shahkulu101
02-20-2015, 08:38 PM
Poison bombs and/or berserker darts?

I consider anything other than hidden blade takedowns unclean though. Plus, poison gas usually only kills one or two people even if you use berserk to get them all in one spot. There's a slim chance one of them will be La Touché - and if he survives he'll run away and you'll be forced into a conspicuous chase.

Aren't there two polls right next to the Guillotine spot from which you can easily air-assassinate him? You'd just have to take out the guards and access them by roof.

Btw, I found this to be the coolest Assassination in Unity, except for the stupid optional objectives.

Yeah but that still gets you caught red handed and right in the middle of all the guards, and there's no way to run away without getting shot at and spamming medicine which is very, very messy. That's what I dislike about guns, they make those tense escape sequences from AC1 impossible without getting shot at. Sure, you have to be more careful but evading enemies while the entire city is after you is a cool part of being an Assassin.

It was pretty cool I'll admit, but you have to follow the MOD mission if you want to reach the target without causing a ruckus so it comes off kind of scripted. My favourite is probably the Sivert or Le Peltier one.

Fatal-Feit
02-20-2015, 08:40 PM
Oh, that's what you mean by cleanly. I think this might be the one mission where that is impossible. He's guarded by enemies on all sides.

aL_____eX
02-20-2015, 08:40 PM
Yeah but that still gets you caught red handed and right in the middle of all the guards, and there's no way to run away without getting shot at and spamming medicine which is very, very messy. That's what I dislike about guns, they make those tense escape sequences from AC1 impossible without getting shot at. Sure, you have to be more careful but evading enemies while the entire city is after you is a cool part of being an Assassin.
Actually there is a very nice route to escape which leads you to the church. I assassinated him, dropped smoke and took this route - more by accident on my first run - and it turned out to work very nicely. At the church I lost all enemies, about 20 seconds after the actual assassination.

PS: Challenge accepted. Going to replay the mission now.

Perk89
02-20-2015, 08:46 PM
Disagree. I really liked most of Unity's main assassinations. If you do the optional objectives each time, they change the dynamics of the mission radically. Like you can lure the woman (forgot her name) to the window to watch fireworks, poison your target's wine and make him move to his study etc.

This I totally agree with. From the demos it seemed like that's what the optional objectives were going to be. Not just requirements to open up one special assassination, but opportunities for multiple unique kills. To be fair, Unity was the first new-gen AC. Hopefully we'll see more options going forward.

There is a part of me that is optimistic that that is their intent and Unity was only the first step. There's also a part that isn't so optimistic. But I'll hope for the best.

I feel like I should emphasize further-I want each unique assassination to carry that same cinematic weight with it that the booth kill had. If one has it and the others don't, it's going to feel like I did the mission "wrong."

Give us branching paths, various unique kills, and every unique kill having that same cinematic gravitas that the Sivert kill had.

Shahkulu101
02-20-2015, 08:48 PM
Actually there is a very nice route to escape which leads you to the church. I assassinated him, dropped smoke and took this route - more by accident on my first run - and it turned out to work very nicely. At the church I lost all enemies, about 20 seconds after the actual assassination.

Yeah I guess you just need to quickly find a good route or run away mindlessly and hope you're on a good path. I tried to run through the crowds hoping some of the NPC's would take some bullets but it didn't work, I think it's quite unrealistic that they never accidentally shoot innocents when you're among masses of people. In general I think they are way too accurate.

aL_____eX
02-20-2015, 08:51 PM
Yeah I guess you just need to quickly find a good route or run away mindlessly and hope you're on a good path. I tried to run through the crowds hoping some of the NPC's would take some bullets but it didn't work, I think it's quite unrealistic that they never accidentally shoot innocents when you're among masses of people.
After assassinating him, just take a quick turn to the left. You'll see some wooden beams there with the church in the background. This way leads you onto a roof and then onto one of those power line kind of things, which ends with a tree and the chance to climb the church. Pretty easy, slick and clean way to escape the scenery.

I-Like-Pie45
02-20-2015, 08:58 PM
You can also buy the silent sniper asset in the pre-planning menu for the mission

TO_M
02-20-2015, 09:40 PM
You said you were perfecting your assassinations, I'd like to hear more about how you did them or plan to do them.

I too prefer being able to kill the target (just the target or minimal amount of guards) unseen and with the hidden blade, so it would be interesting to hear if you've used/have some different routes/techniques as I do.

Farlander1991
02-20-2015, 09:50 PM
Did you try cleaning the surrounding area of snipers, and before assassination itself throwing down a smoke bomb to stun the enemies so they wouldn't see you running away after assassination?

SixKeys
02-20-2015, 10:25 PM
Have you tried popping on disguise and getting close that way?

Shahkulu101
02-20-2015, 10:46 PM
Bleugh, the disguise skill. I don't use it under any circumstance because the way it works is so ridiculous. If I had to kill a guard and take his disguise in a secluded location then yes, I'd definitely make use of it - but the whole shape-shifting on the spot is too immersion breaking.

I don't think there's actually a way to do it completely undetected and get up close at the same time. However I'll try the smoke bomb and clearing out all snipers thing that Farlander suggested when I get to this particular mission on my new playthrough I've just started.

You guys could try and experiment if you want, might be fun for you IDK. :p

Fatal-Feit
02-20-2015, 11:04 PM
I will try later today. What's the ground rules? No Phantom Blades, etc, etc?

Hans684
02-20-2015, 11:36 PM
Never got why Arno speared him the first time they first met, that's poor by investigation standards. He should have killed him, it's cold but efficient and won't get whatever he is planning next revealed to his future targets. As for how clean you wasn't your assassination... Well he is surrounded by guards and is in center of it all. You can't do as clean as you want unless we get a Hitman like system but deeper, a system that reacts more to what you do. One you can manipulate.

If you want to kill him only I'd suggest following the optional objectives and drop some bobs while running when to and get to a roof as fast as possible to avoid future conflicts.

Shahkulu101
02-20-2015, 11:43 PM
I will try later today. What's the ground rules? No Phantom Blades, etc, etc?

You can use any tools you want on everyone else, but you need it kill La Touché with the hidden blade undetected. Without getting into conflict.

Pretty sure it's not possible but who knows...

straty88
02-21-2015, 12:13 AM
You can use any tools you want on everyone else, but you need it kill La Touché with the hidden blade undetected. Without getting into conflict.

Pretty sure it's not possible but who knows...

From my experience with this, it's impossible to do it your way. Best I managed was two guard kills and remain undetected until I kill him. I believe the other opportunity helps move the crowd closer to the platform which helps with the escape but it wasn't necessary.

Shameless plug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn7DBnfffmo&list=PLdbHNSpokVp5a6ap4JOO3hWO yRXsnEpjp&index=7

:)

TO_M
02-21-2015, 12:35 AM
Before patch 5 I could kill any target undetected but my little glitch/exploit has been fixed.

But on topic: Should only the kill be unseen or both the kill and the escape?

@straty88 nice videos, always curious to see how other try and stealthy/creatively kill the targets.

GoldenBoy9999
02-21-2015, 12:54 AM
Good question. I would like to know if this is possible as well. I would try this on my own, but in the playthrough I'm on I haven't yet reached this part. I will definitely give it a go once I reach it.

Never got why Arno speared him the first time they first met, that's poor by investigation standards. He should have killed him, it's cold but efficient and won't get whatever he is planning next revealed to his future targets.

Wouldn't this have gotten Arno in trouble just like when he assassinated Lafrenière without the Council's consent? La Touche was a pretty important target and I don't think they would have been happy with that.

Fatal-Feit
02-21-2015, 12:55 AM
Wow, good job, straty! =p

I'm still going to try it w/o the optional objective.

straty88
02-21-2015, 01:09 AM
Cheers :) Yeah the optional opportunity helps a lot for this one. Will attempt it now without the opportunity. Hopefully there's an alternative like Le Peletiers mission.

TO_M
02-21-2015, 05:06 AM
Okay I've done it. Managed to kill La Touche unseen with the hiddenblade. No SSI meters or detection.

I have the kill recorded on my PS4 and I'll probably upload it tommorrow since it's pretty late over here.

Namikaze_17
02-21-2015, 05:21 AM
Hehe with the glitch in the end. :rolleyes:

But nice vid, straty. ;)

DemonLord4lf
02-21-2015, 05:33 AM
Im glad they had this assassination in the game. If you look at the trailers for some of the other AC games. You see the main character killing a guy thats on an execution panel. This assassination allowed us to actually do something like that. Also, sometimes you need to make a statement, and killing someone right in front of everyone is a pretty loud statement.

aL_____eX
02-21-2015, 12:01 PM
So here's mv video... I did the optional objectives as well and tried to complete the mission as fast as possible without being detected. In the end I chose the route heading to the church. And I know I got shot... but you can do it without, I just didn't have the patience for another run because I ran into some weird glitches in earlier attempts. Hope you enjoy! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZJO-xXPGNU

And I failed with my last headshot. :rolleyes: Whooops!

Shahkulu101
02-21-2015, 02:39 PM
Okay I've done it. Managed to kill La Touche unseen with the hiddenblade. No SSI meters or detection.

I have the kill recorded on my PS4 and I'll probably upload it tommorrow since it's pretty late over here.

Awesome, really curious as to how you done it. Looking forward to the video. :)

So here's mv video... I did the optional objectives as well and tried to complete the mission as fast as possible without being detected. In the end I chose the route heading to the church. And I know I got shot... but you can do it without, I just didn't have the patience for another run because I ran into some weird glitches in earlier attempts. Hope you enjoy! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZJO-xXPGNU

And I failed with my last headshot. :rolleyes: Whooops!

Nice, I think you done it exactly the way the developers intended - with the correct cover kills and headshots. Apart from getting shot at the end but we'll blame that on the insanely accurate AI.

Oh and PS where did you get that costume? I didn't know they actually put the sneak peek outfit in the game, I want! :p

TO_M
02-21-2015, 02:42 PM
Ok so here is my video of the clean kill as promised, I've also included an unseen escape.

What I did is pretty straightforward from the video. I used the crowd assistance optional objective as a way to stealth kill one of the guards,
I'm not entirely sure if the crowd assistance was necessary for my route but I like to think that it keeps some of the other gaurds occupied while I kill La Touche.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7eVX71YoDY

Shahkulu101
02-21-2015, 02:54 PM
Ok so here is my video of the clean kill as promised, I've also included an unseen escape.

What I did is pretty straightforward from the video. I used the crowd assistance optional objective as a way to stealth kill one of the guards,
I'm not entirely sure if the crowd assistance was necessary for my route but I like to think that it keeps some of the other gaurds occupied while I kill La Touche.

Now that's a perfect kill. I never thought throwing coins would be useful at all - very good thinking. The escape was so clean and slick as well.

Well done, sir - brilliant skills. :cool:

dimbismp
02-21-2015, 03:16 PM
A little bit off topic:
In the Marie assassination,why does she detects Arno so easily?I was sitting a the bench and she managed to discover me...Other times she discovers me from a mile away...

Anyway here is my ACU assassinations ranking:

Sivert>Le peletier>La touche>Marie>(Robespierre)>Ruille>the L guy>Germain>The king of beggars

TO_M
02-21-2015, 03:25 PM
Now that's a perfect kill. I never thought throwing coins would be useful at all - very good thinking. The escape was so clean and slick as well.

Well done, sir - brilliant skills. :cool:

Thanks! Like I said before I'm quite interested in the different/creative kinds of way of killing the targets in AC games, so this "challenge" was right up my alley :p. Yeah the money bag is a favorite of mine, especially since very few people use it.

I have to add though that I was wearing full sans-culottes, which affects blending duration, so it could be possible that with other gear this way might not be possible.

Fatal-Feit
02-21-2015, 03:43 PM

Wow. Just wow. Absolutely brilliant. MLG Assassin.

This makes me want to start some weekly Unity challenges/competition on this forum. =p

straty88
02-21-2015, 04:01 PM

Excellent! Loved it. I must admit I rarely used the money bag. Nice work! :)

aL_____eX
02-21-2015, 05:48 PM
Oh and PS where did you get that costume? I didn't know they actually put the sneak peek outfit in the game, I want! :p
It's included in the new free Underground Armory DLC Pack, as well as the McFarlane outfit.

TO_M
02-21-2015, 05:58 PM
A little bit off topic:
In the Marie assassination,why does she detects Arno so easily?I was sitting a the bench and she managed to discover me...Other times she discovers me from a mile away...

Anyway here is my ACU assassinations ranking:

Sivert>Le peletier>La touche>Marie>(Robespierre)>Ruille>the L guy>Germain>The king of beggars

I know what you mean, for some reason Marie can detect Arno even when he is blended, I guess she has heightened detection skills for some reason.

I guess my personal ranking for the ACU assassinations is:

Lafreniere > La Touche > Sivert > Levesque > Rouille > Le peletier > Roi des thun.

The peletier assassination I don't really like because I am still dissapointed that they have this whole party area he could supposedly be at according to eagle vision and then he is just sitting inside in some corner of the mansion. The poison bit was cool at first, it becomes boring after a while and the way the guards are setup and the NPC's move doesn't allow for a lot of creativity. Although it is possible to get him to leave the room, there is still not a lot of creativity involved.

SixKeys
02-21-2015, 07:35 PM

Wow, nice work. This is exactly why I love Unity. The mission design actually allows you to do stuff like this. :D

VestigialLlama4
02-21-2015, 08:31 PM
The main thing I detest about the La Touche mission is the crowd dialogue, its so right-wing and moronic that it's funny.

Perk89
02-21-2015, 08:48 PM
The main thing I detest about the La Touche mission is the crowd dialogue, its so right-wing and moronic that it's funny.

Um what

VestigialLlama4
02-21-2015, 09:02 PM
Um what

The dialogue is over-the-top anti-revolutionary that's what. The whole thing about Jacobins gorging on food while deliberately starving people. The reality was that food was stored because Jacobins needed to win a war that they had protested to start with.

DemonLord4lf
02-21-2015, 09:08 PM
The dialogue is over-the-top anti-revolutionary that's what. The whole thing about Jacobins gorging on food while deliberately starving people. The reality was that food was stored because Jacobins needed to win a war that they had protested to start with.

again what?

You make it sound like there was no way in hell that could've happened. People are stupid. Thats why we call them sheople.

jeffies04
02-21-2015, 09:08 PM

That was pretty awesome! Good job

jeffies04
02-21-2015, 09:12 PM
I know what you mean, for some reason Marie can detect Arno even when he is blended, I guess she has heightened detection skills for some reason.

I guess my personal ranking for the ACU assassinations is:

Lafreniere > La Touche > Sivert > Levesque > Rouille > Le peletier > Roi des thun.

The peletier assassination I don't really like because I am still dissapointed that they have this whole party area he could supposedly be at according to eagle vision and then he is just sitting inside in some corner of the mansion. The poison bit was cool at first, it becomes boring after a while and the way the guards are setup and the NPC's move doesn't allow for a lot of creativity. Although it is possible to get him to leave the room, there is still not a lot of creativity involved.

I've played that mission a lot... Marie is VERY aware of even the slightest exit from cover/blend but I was able to slip into the party amongst her guests and get here when she walked by. I couldn't manage to get either of her two bodyguards without her freaking out and running to her bedroom... just had to get her when she passes close to her guests and smoke bomb it out of there.

Xstantin
02-21-2015, 09:14 PM
^ I think she had the best detection skills out of all targets.

aL_____eX
02-21-2015, 09:20 PM
Just played the Robespierre 'Assassination' again and man was that lame. Took me about 4-5 minutes only. Want video? :p

straty88
02-21-2015, 09:22 PM
I've played that mission a lot... Marie is VERY aware of even the slightest exit from cover/blend but I was able to slip into the party amongst her guests and get here when she walked by. I couldn't manage to get either of her two bodyguards without her freaking out and running to her bedroom... just had to get her when she passes close to her guests and smoke bomb it out of there.

Another shameless plug from me here but it helps illustrate my point. You can get both guards and still kill her, without her freaking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiA1xSAOwXk

This is kinda of clutching at straws but I guess she has heightened detection skills because she knows what she's looking for. With her family training her from a young age and all that. Whereas the rest of the templars are 'newer' recruits. Still unlikely but that might be why the designers made her detect you fairly quickly.

aL_____eX
02-21-2015, 09:27 PM
^ Wow, I had no idea you could lure away so many guards by just entering through a window and freeing Levesque from inside the room. :eek:

straty88
02-21-2015, 09:30 PM
^ Wow, I had no idea you could lure away so many guards by just entering through a window and freeing Levesque from inside the room. :eek:

The guard that stands there shouting should also chase Levesque as soon as he bolts but doesn't and decides shouting at him will help. :P For some reason certain guards bug out when you restart missions. Which I was doing a fair amount for those videos. :)

TO_M
02-22-2015, 06:45 AM
Wow. Just wow. Absolutely brilliant. MLG Assassin.

This makes me want to start some weekly Unity challenges/competition on this forum. =p

Yeah you should do that! I'd be interested at least :P Would give me a good reason to keep playing unity except the god awful club competition.

straty88
02-22-2015, 03:05 PM
Yeah you should do that! I'd be interested at least :P Would give me a good reason to keep playing unity except the god awful club competition.

+1 Here as well!

TO_M
03-20-2015, 02:06 AM
In my previous clean kill video I killed 6 guards besides La Touche and I wanted to see if it was possible to kill the target without killing any guards.

Here is the result:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFs1sTkD13k

A couple of guards do seem to dissapear after La Touche is dead for some reason, you can even see one of them dissapearing in the video. I don't know why it happens but I think it only happens if you kill La Touche after getting the crowd assistance

Hail king money pouch!

Shahkulu101
03-20-2015, 02:33 AM
Damn, you're way too good at this game. :cool: Thanks for posting!

Money pouch is so useful, yet nobody really uses it. Perhaps they should have emphasized it a bit more in the game, but I guess it's the players fault if they don't experiment. Although it's weird that the guards allow citizens to enter restricted areas like La Touche's guillotine platform. What should happen is that guards kill them and a riot ensues, that would have been a cool crowd manipulation mechanic. I was actually looking forward to the role crowds would play in the game, but they just seem to be bigger - and while that makes missions feel cooler I was excited for something akin to the E3 co-op demo where the crowds break through the window and cause a ruckus.

TO_M
03-20-2015, 02:59 AM
Damn, you're way too good at this game. :cool: Thanks for posting!

Money pouch is so useful, yet nobody really uses it. Perhaps they should have emphasized it a bit more in the game, but I guess it's the players fault if they don't experiment. Although it's weird that the guards allow citizens to enter restricted areas like La Touche's guillotine platform. What should happen is that guards kill them and a riot ensues, that would have been a cool crowd manipulation mechanic. I was actually looking forward to the role crowds would play in the game, but they just seem to be bigger - and while that makes missions feel cooler I was excited for something akin to the E3 co-op demo where the crowds break through the window and cause a ruckus.

Thanks!
Yeah it is kind of weird that Ubi hasn't really tried to show usefull money pouch can be, especially since the Unity crowds were emphasized during trailers/promos.

I agree with you that the reactions to the crowds invading the execution area doesn't really make a sense from a logical standpoint. Your idea about the guards killing/attacking them and then starting a riot sounds good though. I also wish Ubi would try to enhance the role of crowds during the assassinations and perhaps the game in general, since social stealth is supposed to be a huge part of AC (the blade in the crowd kind of thing). I hope that in the next game we will see some improvements on that area.