PDA

View Full Version : POP IN will be fixed in Assassin's Creed Unity?

KillZZZZonee
02-20-2015, 03:43 PM
Hi,

I've just purchased AC:U few days ago, and I really can't understand how an issue like POP IN still be in the game.. ]UBISOFT: Will we get fix for this? If yes, WHEN? It's really annoying.

aL_____eX
02-20-2015, 03:58 PM
Pop-ins kind of boost the game's performance so they'll most likely not change anything since that would make the framerate and everything worse again.

Jackdaw951
02-20-2015, 04:40 PM
Do you want decent frame rate, or do you want no pop-in? I think getting both is beyond the scope of what they can achieve in Unity, in the current state of console software tech at least.

aL_____eX
02-20-2015, 04:42 PM
Do you want decent frame rate, or do you want no pop-in? I think getting both is beyond the scope of what they can achieve in Unity, in the current state of console software tech at least.
You mean hardware right?

*cough* Could be because of current state of development/release cycles as well. ;-) *cough*

Jackdaw951
02-20-2015, 04:52 PM
You mean hardware right?

*cough* Could be because of current state of development/release cycles as well. ;-) *cough*

No, I meant exactly what I said. Take a look at Forza Motorsport 2, then take a look at FM 4 (Xbox 360). They seem to belong to two different hardware generations, but not so. The difference is the software technology. By getting an increasingly efficient path to the hardware, Generation 7 improved vastly over 8 years. As an example of current developments, DirectX 12 is poised to revolutionize how much power PCs can get through to the metal--to the silicon itself. It's currently quite hampered by the abstraction layer between the application software and the hardware that pumps out the visual magic. Some of this can apply to consoles as well, but as devices with frozen hardware specs, they will mostly follow their own path to maximum efficiency. Generation 8 is still in its tech infancy.

aL_____eX
02-20-2015, 04:58 PM
Okay, then we share the same opinion. :-)

No one can tell me that Unity with its graphics and level of detail couldn't run at solid 30fps on release, still it didn't. And it doesn't until today. The short development time didn't do the overall performance a huge favour. Unfortunately that has been the case with all AC games for me (PS3 player since forever).

Jackdaw951
02-20-2015, 05:05 PM
Well, the difference between what you're saying and what I am is that you're laying it all at Ubisoft's doorstep. That's unrealistic. The software tech is advanced by everyone with a vested interest in improving it--from system-software engineers, to graphics-hardware programmers, to middleware developers like the Unreal-engine folks, and yes, to application developers like Ubisoft. They all toil at chipping away performance barriers, and making it all better. But that takes time. It won't happen over the development history of one game, and Ubisoft alone can't make it happen.

aL_____eX
02-20-2015, 05:11 PM
Well, the difference between what you're saying and what I am is that you're laying it all at Ubisoft's doorstep. That's unrealistic. The software tech is advanced by everyone with a vested interest in improving it--from system-software engineers, to graphics-hardware programmers, to middleware developers like the Unreal-engine folks, and yes, to application developers like Ubisoft. They all toil at chipping away performance barriers, and making it all better. But that takes time. It won't happen over the development history of one game, and Ubisoft alone can't make it happen.
Okay, I agree with some of your points. Still, iirc most developers had the chance to get used to the new gen way before it was released. Now we're about 1.5 years into this 8th generation, so I would expect developers to at least deliver their games with solid performance considering the current possibilities of this generation. That was not the case with Unity, not at all. The release performance was horrific.

That's all I meant.

Either Ubisoft wanted to achieve too much with Unity and they failed, or they just don't have the skill to achieve their goals (which I highly doubt, because it's one of THE big players in gaming industry)

Jackdaw951
02-20-2015, 05:20 PM
No doubt it's a super-ambitious game. Development started well before the new gen was released. This is very much an early game, and as such, it is destined to look dated when the technology really hits its stride. But that's in the future. I'm glad we can play it right now, problems and all.