PDA

View Full Version : Oleg, Dedicated Server Tickrate ???

ProtosTheGreat
03-28-2004, 05:38 PM
Hi Oleg, I have a quick question regarding Tickrate and Bandwidth.

I have been the Admin for several First Person Shooter servers, such as UT2004. To get the best ping-serverperformance there would be settings in the game ini. Bandwith per player could be controlled as could the number of times per sec that the server would update the information [Tickrate]. I have found the bandwith upload control for the Dedicated server but could you tell me where the tickrate setting is.

I would like to have my server running as smoothly as possible, once you release the AEP version. I have found far to many servers that lag or warp you once you get close on the six of your opponent. I realize that not everyone can run a high performance server as Hardware can be a limiting factor. For those of us that can though - Tickrate control would be amazing. An example of this would be for instance, UT would ship with a default tickrate of 20 or 30 times per sec for online play. Those individuals with excellent connections and comps would be able to turn that up to 60 thus providing LAN QUALITY play online. I ran a server like this for over a year and would like to do the same with AEP.

Please let me know how I may increase the number of times per sec that the game updates player position and information so that I may turn this to max. I would ideally love to be able to offer Lan quality play to online flyers.

ProtosTheGreat
03-28-2004, 05:38 PM
Hi Oleg, I have a quick question regarding Tickrate and Bandwidth.

I have been the Admin for several First Person Shooter servers, such as UT2004. To get the best ping-serverperformance there would be settings in the game ini. Bandwith per player could be controlled as could the number of times per sec that the server would update the information [Tickrate]. I have found the bandwith upload control for the Dedicated server but could you tell me where the tickrate setting is.

I would like to have my server running as smoothly as possible, once you release the AEP version. I have found far to many servers that lag or warp you once you get close on the six of your opponent. I realize that not everyone can run a high performance server as Hardware can be a limiting factor. For those of us that can though - Tickrate control would be amazing. An example of this would be for instance, UT would ship with a default tickrate of 20 or 30 times per sec for online play. Those individuals with excellent connections and comps would be able to turn that up to 60 thus providing LAN QUALITY play online. I ran a server like this for over a year and would like to do the same with AEP.

Please let me know how I may increase the number of times per sec that the game updates player position and information so that I may turn this to max. I would ideally love to be able to offer Lan quality play to online flyers.

Zen--
03-29-2004, 03:27 PM
You ought to talk with SPaRX sometime about dedicated server settings that can help achieve close to LAN-like smoothness, he's pretty knowlegeable on the subject.

I would also be interested to hear what 1C says regarding tick rate in AEP.

Bump

-Zen-
Tracks (http://209.163.146.67/tracks)

ProtosTheGreat
03-31-2004, 03:20 PM
Oleg?? Anyone?? know anything? Thanks for the reply Zen, I will try to get a hold of SPaRX

I am very interested in providing a HIGH quality server. I was very happy with the one I had set up for FB [many thanks CrazyIvan].

Protos_335TH_GR
04-07-2004, 11:06 PM
Bump. Service Please.

http://members.rogers.com/335th_gr_protos/Greek%20Fw%20190%20cropped.jpg http://members.rogers.com/335th_gr_protos/4FG2.gif

"If you see enemy aircraft, it is not necessary to go straight to them and attack. Wait,look and use your reason. See what kind of formation and tactics they are using. See if there is a straggler or an uncertain pilot among the enemy. Shoot him down. It is more important to send one down in flames-so that all the other enemy pilots experience its psychological effect"

Colonel Erich "Bubi" Hartmann, GAF (352 Victories)

As to gunnery passes, the best was when you dived with speed, made one pass, shot an opponent down quickly, and pulled back up..... The secret was to do the job in one pass; it could be from the side or from behind and I usually tried to open fire at about 150 feet.

Major Erich Rudorffer, Luftwaffe
Seventh Leading Ace, WW-II
222 Victories (13 on One Mission)

O Tolmon Nika

Protos_335TH_GR
04-09-2004, 08:01 PM
SPaRX??

http://members.rogers.com/335th_gr_protos/Greek%20Fw%20190%20cropped.jpg http://members.rogers.com/335th_gr_protos/4FG2.gif

As to gunnery passes, the best was when you dived with speed, made one pass, shot an opponent down quickly, and pulled back up..... The secret was to do the job in one pass; it could be from the side or from behind and I usually tried to open fire at about 150 feet.

Major Erich Rudorffer, Luftwaffe
Seventh Leading Ace, WW-II
222 Victories (13 on One Mission)
77 On the Western Front

O Tolmon Nika