PDA

View Full Version : Knock It Off With the Companion Apps

TexasCaesar
02-19-2015, 10:22 PM
This has probably been posted many times before, but it's only now that I've willed myself to join these forums.

Ubisoft... don't lock content behind companion apps or don't make it at all.

I was annoyed when I couldn't initially use the Black Flag fleet because of connection problems, and I wasn't thrilled with the free-to-play style of waiting ten hours for a mission to complete, but I could at least use the mechanics, and they were fun. Kenway's fleet made the game better. However, Unity and Far Cry 4? Where the only way to access the Brotherhood/Arena is through your phone? Outrageous. I don't pay $60 for a PS4 game so that I can get my phone out to use features that were, in the past, seamlessly integrated into the game itself.

It's not good design, it doesn't make the game better. How could it possibly be more immersive or convenient to have to regularly look away from the main screen to fiddle with another, tiny device? Just contrast that with Brotherhood, in which you used pigeon coops as a way of communicating. Why would you think we players would rather send agents to unlock chests, than fight alongside them in the streets of Paris? I don't know about the other fans, but I want to game on my terms, sitting down for an hour or two at a time to give my undivided attention to the worlds you create.

Your companion apps suck. Please, in the future, make all of the features available within the game.

DemonLord4lf
02-19-2015, 10:27 PM
This has probably been posted many times before, but it's only now that I've willed myself to join these forums.

Ubisoft... don't lock content behind companion apps or don't make it at all.

I was annoyed when I couldn't initially use the Black Flag fleet because of connection problems, and I wasn't thrilled with the free-to-play style of waiting ten hours for a mission to complete, but I could at least use the mechanics, and they were fun. Kenway's fleet made the game better. However, Unity and Far Cry 4? Where the only way to access the Brotherhood/Arena is through your phone? Outrageous. I don't pay $60 for a PS4 game so that I can get my phone out to use features that were, in the past, seamlessly integrated into the game itself.

It's not good design, it doesn't make the game better. How could it possibly be more immersive or convenient to have to regularly look away from the main screen to fiddle with another, tiny device? Just contrast that with Brotherhood, in which you used pigeon coops as a way of communicating. Why would you think we players would rather send agents to unlock chests, than fight alongside them in the streets of Paris? I don't know about the other fans, but I want to game on my terms, sitting down for an hour or two at a time to give my undivided attention to the worlds you create.

Your companion apps suck. Please, in the future, make all of the features available within the game.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/9db41ea6c7a4a27a8f8a608cf725ef8c/tumblr_mu3jof44Yv1stmjkwo1_500.gif

SixKeys
02-19-2015, 10:29 PM
I disagree about Kenway's fleet being fun. It was mind-bogglingly boring and annoying.

TexasCaesar
02-19-2015, 10:38 PM
Kenway's fleet would have been better if it had just been a little trading simulator without "missions", but it did the job just fine. I thought the combat system was just complex enough to encourage different tactics, and I enjoyed building my fleet and sending it on trading missions. It was a suitable replacement for the Brotherhood.

Pandassin
02-19-2015, 10:44 PM
Well the most recent patch has unlocked the Companion App content, so hopefully Ubisoft have learned their lesson. I didn't have any problems with Kenway's fleet, I quite enjoyed it. It was a nice way to earn money and some rewards.

TexasCaesar
02-20-2015, 08:05 AM
We can only hope.