PDA

View Full Version : Where is the sportsmanship? MP Rant/Suggestions.

dapp3r-
02-19-2015, 04:46 AM
As it turns out Trials Fusion is a competitive game and people don't enjoy losing. But something needs to be done in terms of quitters. In my 2000+ matches I would estimate that only 10% of the matches I have played I have finished a cup with the same amount of players that began the cup in the first place. For some players I feel they quit because it's early into the cup and they know they are going to timeout in every other race. For other people I think they quit because of their win/loss ratio. Although there isn't an official win/loss stat, basic math can work that out. This doesn't just happen among the least skilled players that lose and timeout frequently, it happens with the top players to. Time and time again I will be up against a good player but if I'm ahead and it looks like they are going to finish 2nd, they will quit. Currently, players that quit these matches are not penalised. I would like to see the developers incorporate something that forces a player's hand into fair play, because those unfair players are not going to change on their own.

My suggestions are as follows:

- If a player quits during a match, that match should be recorded in the total number of matches played stat.
- A step up from this is that a player that quits during a cup receives a loss for each of the remaining heats left in the cup.
- A 10 minute stand down period where after quitting a match, that player has to wait 10 minutes before being able to enter another cup.
- "Quitters/Sore losers" lobbies. Lobbies dedicated to regular quitters.
- Finally, remove the total number of matches played stat. I myself don't like this option as I like to see how many races I have lost in comparison to my wins. Perhaps then an option to make the number of losses hidden.

I am aware that technical limitations may prevent some of the suggestions mentioned above but the bottom line is something needs to be done.

Constructive criticism, opinions and suggestions are appreciated.

Archon453
02-19-2015, 04:56 AM
Ehh, I don't see why people should be penalized for quitting. Honestly, I don't see an issue with it. It's fun to play the game with other people, and if they decide to leave that's up to them.
People can be busy, and have to leave the game for any reason at all. We don't have to penalize people for that reason.
If you're having issues with people leaving, then make a private lobby with some friends.

dapp3r-
02-19-2015, 05:43 AM
The way I see it is by entering a cup in multiplayer, you have committed yourself to four heats (around about seven minutes in total). If people are too busy to carry out four heats they should not have entered in the first place. But I agree, it is fun to play with other people, what isn't fun is a chain of people leaving the lobby until you're the only one left which does happen albeit rarely. As I mentioned, I like to compare my losses and wins. Private matches do not count toward this. You also cannot earn XP in Private matches. It becomes quite obvious when people have quit purely because they were losing, because they are the same people that do it in the future. They also begin to avoid you when matchmaking.

I'm just as competitive as these players that quit. Only I can stick it out until the end of a cup even if it means I lose every race.

En0-
02-19-2015, 06:17 AM
Hello,

There will be be penalties for leavers in the ranked public matchmaking mode, but we don't plan to put it also in the simple public matchmaking.

Cheers,

dapp3r-
02-19-2015, 06:58 AM
Oh I see, I had no idea about ranked public matchmaking but that makes a heap of sense. I look forward to it!

Thanks

VEGASTRASH
02-19-2015, 09:09 AM
I would guess that many people who quit, simply aren't good enough to even finish the races. These Xcross tracks have some technical sections and are a challenge to novice players.
I count how many times I've seen people getting stuck on something early on in quite a few tracks.
I'm sure they quit because of this.
It doesn't bother me, as they were no competition. I know some people care about rank in this, but that's out the window...as tournaments are grouped with MP mode.
Last I checked on ps4, about 60 people play tournaments. I'm not sure if they're doing a strictly MP leaderboard and use a trueskill type system. I would guess not.
Playing riders who are ranked roughly where you are in the game would be the most logical thing. Can't see it happening.

UseLessUK
02-19-2015, 09:17 AM
Greetings,

Also do not forget that not everyone on the planet has a fibre connection to the internet, and so it could be connection issues that cause them to disconnect.

And then there is the game. There has been a couple of times I've tried playing MP and been in a game and then find myself back in the lobby and have to wait for the heats to finish before I can join again.

dapp3r-
02-19-2015, 10:49 PM
Yeah I have noticed there are obstacles in a few of the X-Supercross tracks that do torture novice players but as with anything you're only ever going to get better with practice. I read that the current MP leaderboard system is only temporary and that a true skill system will be coming at a later date. My guess is around the launch of Ranked matches. Maybe Ranked matchmaking will lead to playing against players that are on a level playing field to you but I don't know, I hope so. Personally I would rather lose a race to someone who was better than me than win a race against against a full lobby of novice players. But it's clear not everyone feels the same way. Although approximately 60 people may play Tournaments they are still open to everyone.

As for the connection, I don't think players that have their internet disconnect would be affected by penalties. But yes I'm sure there have been a few people that have disconnected while I have been playing with them. I haven't encountered the other problem, if that's a common thing it might be worth letting the support team know.

ElColoLoco
02-20-2015, 12:25 AM
I agree that when someone quits a match, this match should be counted as a lost match but penalizing someone with 10 min is just ridiculous. the reason top players quit a match when loosing is because they dont want another loss.

Agoat
02-20-2015, 01:18 PM
I've found this is the only game where I don't mind quitters. I'm still able to complete the track and earn XP, and there's usually a few guys behind me until the end. There's a lot of new players that don't understand Trials that jump into MP, I don't expect them to make any sort of commitment.

shakeyclaret
02-20-2015, 07:30 PM
Gamers are getting older. I myself have a child but if something happens to her during a mp game, I will quit every time, winning or losing.

UseLessUK
02-21-2015, 12:35 AM
Greetings,

Yep what Shakey said goes for me as well... only it's grand children in my case.. and seemingly my duties start April 25th... ;)

Hixbot
02-26-2015, 08:46 PM
I still haven't managed to get into an online match. but I completely support the idea, if you quit its a loss. Sure, people need to quit for all sorts of real-life reasons, but big deal, you get a loss.
I personally don't mind taking a loss if I lose. I don't mind taking a loss if I quit. After all, if I quit, I didn't win, therefore it's a loss. it's not a penalty it's just an honest statistic.
This isn't a question if we should start penalizing quitters, it's a question if we should stop rewarding quitters.
Quitting without any type of stat is a REWARD FOR QUITTING. It's unfair, and it promotes anyone who is not in a winning position to quit to avoid the statistic.
This is online gaming 101.