PDA

View Full Version : Chances of content locked behind transmedia in Victory?

JustPlainQuirky
02-18-2015, 09:25 PM
Well patch 5 released and all content locked behind transmedia such as companion apps and initiates are unlocked now.

This def is a sign of Ubisoft hearing and catering to complaints.

But what does that mean for future installments? (Victory specifically)

Do you guys think transmedia locked content will still be a thing? (excluding small variations included in toys) Will Legacy outfits continue to require initiates? Will we require apps to achieve 100% completion?

I certainly hope this isn't the case. It seems Ubi learned their lesson but I'm still a bit worried. But if they eliminate this hindrance, players would have an increase in positive player experience I guarantee.

Thoughts?

aL_____eX
02-18-2015, 09:34 PM
They just removed the App and Initiates restrictions because they did not work for Unity. I don't see why they wouldn't try again with Victory.

SixKeys
02-18-2015, 09:35 PM
Zero, I hope.

The whole locked content thing was a big part of the game getting critically panned. They would be foolish to repeat the experiment after Unity.

GoldenBoy9999
02-18-2015, 09:37 PM
I don't think they would try something on as large a scale as they did with Unity. Ubisoft is in need of some good player response and enthusiasm.

wvstolzing
02-18-2015, 09:38 PM
That depends on the corporate strategy about 'transmedia'. The unlocks were *technical* necessities, not necessarily a change of mind at the management level.

Frankly the higher-ups seem to be entirely oblivious as to how their customers relate to their products -- they seem to be applying whatever business school oh-so-smart strategy they've learned about marketing junk food to people of a certain age. Absurdities at the level of story or gameplay don't concern them one little bit. So I wouldn't be surprised if they try their luck again next time.

Hopefully someone from the development team won't be made a *scapegoat*, and blamed for 'not realizing some MBA-suit's vision about transmedia effectiveness' -- only to be replaced by someone who promises to them that he/she can -- only to continue the cycle.

VestigialLlama4
02-18-2015, 09:38 PM
Do you guys think transmedia locked content will still be a thing? (excluding small variations included in toys) Will Legacy outfits continue to require initiates? Will we require apps to achieve 100% completion?

I certainly hope this isn't the case. It seems Ubi learned their lesson but I'm still a bit worried. But if they eliminate this hindrance, players would have an increase in positive player experience I guarantee.

Thoughts?

I think transmedia will be a thing, they'll just be a little better at doing it that's all.

JustPlainQuirky
02-18-2015, 09:40 PM
That depends on the corporate strategy about 'transmedia'. The unlocks were *technical* necessities, not necessarily a change of mind at the management level.

This is very true. I could see Ubi's higher ups being like "I'm throwing money at this, why isn't it working?" and just dropping the transmedia because cost for fixing & support wasnt worth the revenue it brought in.

Even if it's an inconsiderate reason, at least the problem is gone...for now....

and hopefully forever.

I think transmedia will be a thing, they'll just be a little better at doing it that's all.

I pray this isn't the case

VestigialLlama4
02-18-2015, 09:53 PM
I pray this isn't the case

I am a single-player single-console man myself, and I hate all this. But realistically, I don't see Ubisoft abandoning the transmedia and Companion App. They were regularly discussed by Ubisoft developers, especially Amancio (who after Revelations worked in marketing and returned to gaming, and boy does it show) and Initiates was developed for that reason.

JustPlainQuirky
02-18-2015, 09:56 PM
I am a single-player single-console man myself, and I hate all this. But realistically, I don't see Ubisoft abandoning the transmedia and Companion App. They were regularly discussed by Ubisoft developers, especially Amancio (who after Revelations worked in marketing and returned to gaming, and boy does it show) and Initiates was developed for that reason.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/staticarchive/c7dfa43688c424e4d533f73250d5a50a95e60aec.jpg

hnnghh dis maeks meh sayuuuud

aL_____eX
02-18-2015, 09:56 PM
To be honest I still love the original purpose of Initiates. AC Unity Initiates is just a shadow of its former self.

Shahkulu101
02-18-2015, 10:02 PM
Also, the goal of Brand Director Jean Guesdon is for the series to be the first real time, transmedia franchise. At least that's what he said in a Gameinformer interview.

If that's the overall goal of the series, I don't see them giving up so soon. I fully expect it to be there in Victory, perhaps it will be less intrusive, but it will be present IMO.

VestigialLlama4
02-18-2015, 10:06 PM
To be honest I still love the original purpose of Initiates. AC Unity Initiates is just a shadow of its former self.

Me too, I liked the modern day of Initiates more than Unity. I kind of hoped that Altair II would be the location for Unity, its simple graphically, just a ship on a sea, very few assets and textures to develop relatively speaking. But I don't think that serial story of lore-building was the main purpose. The plan was that, hopefully Unity would be a big success and magically all sins absolved, but that didn't happen. The game was made specifically to get rid of the AC Lore and background foundations, so you have very little history, replay of elements from Ezio and Altair and a far less ambitious single-city sandbox that would set the style for later games. They failed big time.

JustPlainQuirky
02-18-2015, 10:09 PM
Also, the goal of Brand Director Jean Guesdon is for the series to be the first real time, transmedia franchise. At least that's what he said in a Gameinformer interview.

Fire this man immediately.

SpiritOfNevaeh
02-18-2015, 10:10 PM
They just removed the App and Initiates restrictions because they did not work for Unity. I don't see why they wouldn't try again with Victory.

Exactly my view.

Hopefully they've learned their lesson.

Shahkulu101
02-18-2015, 10:11 PM

Sad thing is he was creative director on AC4, so he knows how to make a great game.

JustPlainQuirky
02-18-2015, 10:12 PM
Initiates ties to Unity were pointless. AC has collected records/data in-game in the past.

No reason why content cant be unlocked within the game itself regardless of internet connection.

Same goes for companion app.

Save companion app for convenient commodities if they MUST include one. Like the app for black flag as some said.

Sad thing is he was creative director on AC4, so he knows how to make a great game.

odd considering the app for ACIV wasnt locking content and was actually a nice helpful addition that couldnt be replicated in-game

aL_____eX
02-18-2015, 10:14 PM
I really don't see how A. Amancio did a bad job either. He just wanted too much with Unity, so the game was 'doomed to failure' because of the massive hype each AC game brings with it. ACIII couldn't withstand the hype back when it was released.

dxsxhxcx
02-18-2015, 10:18 PM
It'll happen... and it won't work just like happened with ACU.. :)

SixKeys
02-19-2015, 12:16 AM

Wait, I thought Ashraf was creative director on AC4? Are you sure Guersdon wasn't a game director or something like that?

Shahkulu101
02-19-2015, 12:18 AM
Wait, I thought Ashraf was creative director on AC4? Are you sure Guersdon wasn't a game director or something like that?

Ashraf was Game Director, Jean Creative Director.

Megas_Doux
02-19-2015, 12:24 AM

If that's the overall goal of the series, I don't see them giving up so soon. I fully expect it to be there in Victory, perhaps it will be less intrusive, but it will be present IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHJE6HFQowI

After I thought they had corrected some of their mistakes.

m4r-k7
02-19-2015, 12:36 AM
Hmmmmm.

Ubisoft obviousily are pushing for a transmedia franchise and are trying to dominate every form of technology that can "fit" in with the AC franchise. It didn't work at all with Unity and this is shown by Ubisofts decision to actually dismiss some of it in later patches.

I personally believe that it won't be as strong in Victory as they want it to be the AC 4 of AC U. I honestly believe Victory will be polished, and I think they will delay it if it needs to be delayed as they just can't afford for it to be bad after the negative reviews and massive internet / consumer dissatisfaction, and especially as Ubisoft lost shares after Unitys release - they just can't afford that to happen again.

However... there will be teams in the background developing transmedia and making sure it works properly and will most likely then push it into future games after Victory.

DemonLord4lf
02-19-2015, 12:39 AM

Did someone say FIRE!!!???

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/screencrush.com/files/2013/08/Batman-Arkham-Origins-Firefly.jpg

wvstolzing
02-19-2015, 12:44 AM
I personally believe that it won't be as strong in Victory as they want it to be the AC 4 of AC U. I honestly believe Victory will be polished, and I think they will delay it if it needs to be delayed as they just can't afford for it to be bad after the negative reviews and massive internet / consumer dissatisfaction, and especially as Ubisoft lost shares after Unitys release - they just can't afford that to happen again.

I'd like to believe that too, but the pressures of annualization simply rules out the possibility of an extended delay, like the ones GTAV for PC, or Arkham Knight had. I think Unity needed a delay *at least* of 3 months; but that would have upset their financial timetable or whatever they call it *completely*.

The really good thing about delays is that it gives the company less of a reason to slave-drive their employees, make them work over-time without pay, etc. That's the unspoken dimension of these tight release schedules -- not only is it bad for the consumer, it's potentially *way worse* for the people who work to deliver these games.

m4r-k7
02-19-2015, 12:48 AM
I'd like to believe that too, but the pressures of annualization simply rules out the possibility of an extended delay, like the ones GTAV for PC, or Arkham Knight had. I think Unity needed a delay *at least* of 3 months; that would have upset their financial timetable or whatever they call it *completely*.

Your comment about annualization is true, but for the first time Ubisofts fears are actually showing. The patches, the comments, the need to actually disengage some of the transmedia, the fall in share prices etc. Its never been this bad. Even with the bad launch of AC 3, I don't remember the hatred being as high as it is currently. Ubisoft know they have screwed up this time and boy is it showing.

Assassin_M
02-19-2015, 12:49 AM
Never again, I think. They're not idiots. They realized they're unpopular and took them out. People, you need to understand that ubisoft doesn't hate itself. Companion app and initiates were not popular and they were buggy. Ubisoft acknowledged this and removed the restrictions. What is unpopular, goes out of the window, it's really simple. Not one thing was stated to be unpopular (or even polarizing) was kept. Assassin Dens, Desmond memories, modern day, Connor...etc were all abandoned. I don't see the logic in them keeping transmedia for the lulz

DemonLord4lf
02-19-2015, 12:51 AM
Never again, I think. They're not idiots. They realized they're unpopular and took them out. People, you need to understand that ubisoft doesn't hate itself. Companion app and initiates were not popular and they were buggy. Ubisoft acknowledged this and removed the restrictions. What is unpopular, goes out of the window, it's really simple. Not one thing was stated to be unpopular (or even polarizing) was kept. Assassin Dens, Desmond memories, modern day, Connor...etc were all abandoned. I don't see the logic in them keeping transmedia for the lulz

what are you talking about? A good amount of people want MD back, a good chunk of people want another Connor game...Unless you were trying to be sarcastic...

Assassin_M
02-19-2015, 12:58 AM
what are you talking about? A good amount of people want MD back, a good chunk of people want another Connor game...Unless you were trying to be sarcastic...

I wasnít sarcastic and no, I would argue otherwise. Beforemodern day was minimized, every poll everywhere on the internet showed people didnítwant Modern day and look forward more to the historical portion of the game.The forums here donít represent everyone. Ubisoft had surveys asking aboutmodern day and they have the results. If the results were positive, Iím prettysure Ubisoft would have kept a strong modern day. It only seems like mostpeople want modern day back because itís gone. Itís a good chunk, but not goodenough. Same for Connor.

Shahkulu101
02-19-2015, 01:03 AM

They may have took them out because they were technically broken, not because of feedback. The entire industry including Ubisoft has a hard on for transmedia right now and I don't think it's going away any time soon. I think they'll just try to refine it instead of outright removing it, because Ubisoft have invested a lot in this whole companion device fad and will continue trying to push it.

Assassin_M
02-19-2015, 01:07 AM
They may have took them out because they were technically broken, not because of feedback. The entire industry including Ubisoft has a hard on for transmedia right now and I don't think it's going away any time soon. I think they'll just try to refine it instead of outright removing it, because Ubisoft have invested a lot in this whole companion device fad and will continue trying to push it.

If it was broken, theyíd have tried to fix it. They may havetried and failed, which shows more reason to stay away from it.

I-Like-Pie45
02-19-2015, 01:37 AM
Assassin_M I see you are a fancy one.

Assassin_M
02-19-2015, 01:39 AM
Assassin_M I see you are a fancy one.

I’m just on a school computer and for some reason, it’sincompatible with the forums’ posting script. I’m using word to type replies.

JustPlainQuirky
02-19-2015, 01:41 AM

This post gives me faith

YodaySunrider
02-19-2015, 06:59 AM
I definitely think the removal of these things from Unity is a sign that they have recognized that people simply aren't going to accept it. I think it was an interesting experiment, and honestly one that probably needed to happen so that they could learn from it. I'm glad they got rid of the companion app connectivity, as it really doesn't add anything meaningful and really only works towards frustrating the player. The thing that boggled my mind the most was requiring playing the app in order to get 100% sync in the main game. I would like to think they learned a lot from this little experiment, and I hope they dial it way back. I think the system they had in place for Black Flag worked really well. You could do everything in game, but you could continue to manage your fleet on the go if you wanted to. A similar system would have worked out much better for Unity.

I am actually fine with locking classic outfits behind initiates, but I do think they went about it wrong. Having the chests throughout the world just frustrated people that didn't fully understand the system, or simply don't want to have to interact with anything outside of the game. It's one thing to lock those outfits behind initiates, and it's another thing to constantly remind people about it while they are running around the world. I also don't think tying classic outfits to an overall level makes much sense. I get that they want people to have an interest in grinding initiates XP, but they need to come up with another reward system. I personally think that classic outfits should be tied to completing the corresponding game. Each game in the series should have a classic outfit that is unlocked in future games simply by completing the game that said outfit is from. For example completing the story of AC2 should reward the original Ezio outfit, and completing the story in AC3 should reward the Connor outfit. This would provide a simple and easy to follow reward path for players that are faithful fans of the series. Since AC1 doesn't have any kind of Uplay or AC Initiates integration they could make the Altair outfit the reward for logging into Initiates and at least trying it.

So those are my thoughts. App and Initiates integration is fine, but has to be done lightly and in a way that doesn't constantly harass players.

TexasCaesar
02-19-2015, 10:41 PM
Last night I got on Unity and found that:
1) My Napoleon artillery outfit was unlocked.
2) There were dozens of companion app missions on my map.

I didn't even realize that #2 was a thing. I guess that's what they did, then? Made the missions available for everybody, regardless of if you unlocked them? I was honestly so bored by the app that I never got far into it.