PDA

View Full Version : Why people dislike Germain?

dimbismp
02-18-2015, 03:13 PM
I am replaying Unity these days and i believe hat he was pretty great.Maybe we did not see much of him,but still he had an interesting character and story.
IMO he is the 3rd best Templar Grand Master after Haytham and Torres.

SixKeys
02-18-2015, 03:37 PM
He was barely in the game. I forgot who we were chasing until the end, TBH.

Fatal-Feit
02-18-2015, 03:37 PM
I had no idea people dislike him. This is news to me. Maybe it's part of the trend of hating the lastest AC Templars. I remember AC3's Templars not being popular here at all for some time. People said they were boring, forgettable, etc, etc.

Germain was a very good Templar. He followed the standards of the 18th century Templars and showed strong conviction in the order. Shrewd, tranquil, and always one step ahead of others.

Namikaze_17
02-18-2015, 04:03 PM
He was just...there.

Less involved in the entire game than Torres was in AC4. ( And less likable too imo)

Only time I actually payed attention to him was the ending and his talk of the "Father of Understanding" granting him time to speak to Arno.

But overall, just plain forgettable. I liked Roberts better as a sage.

Farlander1991
02-18-2015, 04:12 PM
Germain was fine overall. In terms of time spend with him, he was more like Rodrigo Borgia - that guy didn't have lots of screentime either. The difference being, is that Rodrigo has ruined everything in our main character's life, and Germain ruined everything in an NPC's life, which is why there's less personal emotional desire to get to him.

And honestly I don't think it's a bad thing. After all, Germain wasn't Arno's main goal.

Perk89
02-18-2015, 04:41 PM
I don't think many people disliked him, he just had like no screen time. I mean seriously, beyond the end-game, he was on screen for maybe 4 minutes (of course the entire plot was pathetically short anyways)

Part of a big issue in Unity. All the characters had so little screen time that you had no idea who most of them were by name, much less formed any attachment. Like I said in another thread, I had no clue who the dead guy on the bed was until I got back to Assassin HQ and the Mentor wasn't there anymore. (And then they took his burial missions in jimmyjammed them into co-op lol)

king-hailz
02-18-2015, 04:56 PM
He wasn't interesting enough to be be disliked by me.

VestigialLlama4
02-18-2015, 06:08 PM
He sucks as a character so bad that being a reincarnation of a godlike being doesn't make him interesting. Jacques de Molay in the opening sequence was way more impressive in his short screentime than Germain. Actually aside from La Touche, all the Templars in the game suck.

It just shows how riddled UNITY is with "False Good Ideas". They take the Sage concept in Black Flag, which managed to shoehorn a historical figure of whom little is known about, who came to be a pirate after Nassau, but provided him with a unique touch and mystery that added to his real-life legend. In UNITY, they take a relative nobody who didn't really play a part in the Revolution, and they make him boring. If they made the Grandmaster someone like Danton or Robespierre, it would have been so much better and intense.

Part of a big issue in Unity. All the characters had so little screen time that you had no idea who most of them were by name, much less formed any attachment. Like I said in another thread, I had no clue who the dead guy on the bed was until I got back to Assassin HQ and the Mentor wasn't there anymore. (And then they took his burial missions in jimmyjammed them into co-op lol)

This goes to show that those after-life conversations which they removed played a major role. They removed it for some kind of magic telepathy but those conversations were way more interesting and it managed to give every minor Templar (like Benjamin Church) 15 minutes of fame.

Germain was fine overall. In terms of time spend with him, he was more like Rodrigo Borgia - that guy didn't have lots of screentime either.

Huh? Borgia is a recurring villain right from the beginning to the end. We see him in Uberto's House, we see him at the Auditore Family Execution, we see him talking to Vieri, then we see him under the church (the first time "May the Father of Understanding" is used in the series), then at San Gimignano where he spots Ezio hiding and meets him face-to-face, then again in Venice where he talks to the Barbarigo conspirators, then at the Docks near the end, and again in Vatican. That's more screentime than Robert de Sable, nearly about the same as Torres and only less screentime than Haytham.

After all, Germain wasn't Arno's main goal.

Arno doesn't have a goal aside from getting in Elise's pants. Not that I blame him.

TexasCaesar
02-19-2015, 10:08 PM
The game would have been far, far better if Napoleon had been the sage. Think about it; Napoleon Bonaparte was one of the greatest figures in history. Any story based around historical conspiracies would have to involve him in some way, either as an Assassin, a Templar, or a sympathizer of one of the two groups (like how you work with George Washington in AC3). In addition, Napoleon was (for a brief while) a Jacobin with ties to the Robespierre family. The script practically writes itself!

Germain, on the other hand, was a nobody. He never had political or economic power, he wasn't really involved in the Revolution. Just an artist.

What's more, Napoleon's life story would have served the game's message better than Germain's. The whole point of the Templar schism, as I understand it, is that the Order had come to be dominated by middle-class people who wanted to control society from the bottom up (collectivism) rather than the top down (aristocracy). As a poor minority officer, it would make sense that Napoleon would be the leader of the Revolutionary Templars, attempting to displace both the royals and moderates by forging a revolutionary empire.

So, how would that work in with AC's need for an ending? You have the player character side with the Templar. The way I imagine the plot going is that, after defeating Napoleon in combat, he delivers a speech in which he explains the need for a single authority in France. Arno Dorian, having been isolated from the Assassins and being a nobleman by birth, realizes that Napoleon is right and agrees to let him go. But - he doesn't know that Napoleon stole the Piece of Eden (from the Tulieres), and has basically been hoodwinked. There you go, a good hook for a Napoleonic Wars sequel.

There's other changes I would have made, but that, to me, would be the best way to end it.

Hans684
02-20-2015, 09:14 PM
I liked the message he wanted to show about to much freedom and how he played Arno. He's interesting but that's it, he's a nobody that become GM since he's a Sage. They could have made the GM Danton or Robespierre

Perk89
02-20-2015, 09:24 PM
This goes to show that those after-life conversations which they removed played a major role. They removed it for some kind of magic telepathy but those conversations were way more interesting and it managed to give every minor Templar (like Benjamin Church) 15 minutes of fame.

Arno's "I saw it in his memories!" line has got to be one of the worst and most immersion breaking lines I've ever seen in gaming, much less a major title. The script was pretty awful anyways (and don't get me started on the writer's spontaneous anti-religious axe grinding in the closing monologue) but the guy who penned it should be fire for that line there alone.

JustPlainQuirky
02-20-2015, 09:25 PM
He's ugly.

aL_____eX
02-20-2015, 09:27 PM
He's ugly.
But... but... he has slick black hair and no stubbles. >:]

JustPlainQuirky
02-20-2015, 09:33 PM
But... but... he has slick black hair and no stubbles. >:]

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/KlpKWsRosGc/hqdefault.jpg

Fatal-Feit
02-20-2015, 09:44 PM
i'd diddle that

aL_____eX
02-20-2015, 10:44 PM
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/KlpKWsRosGc/hqdefault.jpg
That explains it.

straty88
02-21-2015, 12:28 AM
Only thing that bugs me about him is his Voice actor. As he's been in multiple games etc and his voice never changes. AC1 Directors cut, the AC3 Anvil Next trailer come to mind. However he's played numerous roles throughout the games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsLO8GgA-P4

Otherwise he's ok. Nothing special but certainly not the worst antagonist.

aL_____eX
02-21-2015, 12:52 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsLO8GgA-P4
Watching that trailer now, I feel so... wow, lies everywhere.