PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed Unity still a master piece

dargor5
02-17-2015, 04:37 AM
Yes, some of you might think me crazy, but you can't deny this is by far the best AC we had. Has the best graphics, animations and retain most of the gameplay from AC1.
After my 2nd playthrough I just walk around cause this is a marvelous game, all the NPC interaction, the way Paris is design so life like. I truly love the game in spite of its issues (which as of now I barely have).

Not gonna lie, what I'm most in love with is the graphics, this game really pushes it, among the likes of Far Cry 4 and Dying Light, sadly you need a good rig to run this game in all its beauty, hence why it was so awful on consoles, sorry but is true, console hardware is too outdated and is not letting games progress even further.

Too bad the launch of Unity was so bad, Ubi you only get one chance, Unity could have been one of the best games of 2014, because of your rush to get it out it turned out to be one of the worst, please don't repeat that with Victory. Unity after 4 patches turned out to be amazing but that's after so many months, if patch 4 was at launch things would have been very different.

I was going to get Rouge on PC, but now really feels like a step backwards so I'll look forward to Victory =)

Green_Reaper
02-17-2015, 05:24 AM
ACU would have been the best in my book if it were not for the stability issues, questionable story (I've seen it advertised as being deep, sorry but I just don't see it, something was missing), locked content, the companion app, and seemingly infinite bugs. There are also a lot of cool little features from previous games that were omitted from ACU. It's strange, in some cases I feel like ACU truly is a "next-gen" upgrade from the old AC formula. However, in other cases, I feel like it's a downgrade.

The things that ACU brought to the table, which I loved, were:

- Customization, lots of outfits, weapons, and equipment. I've always wanted this to be expanded on than just simply changing the color of the same 2 uniforms or so. Also, they have stats which directly affect your game play.

- Crouching.

- Skills you can learn and improve. This added more to the feel of personalization and giving some incentive to keep on playing - makes the gaming experience varied and not so stale or linear.

- The new multiplayer. Co-op missions with other "assassins". It's fun and definitely adds to replay value. Especially if you have to do a mission several times to unlock something. Sometimes it just changes the way you might approach a certain mission. For example you might not play a 4-player mission the same way if you're doing it solo.

Also, free-roam with other players is cool too.

McMelch
02-17-2015, 10:07 AM
I've tried to enjoy this game, I really did. But what I've done: Run all over ACU, unlock the towers, do a few missions, look at everything in Paris. It is very beautiful.

But... thats it. I can't get myself to want to play this game anymore. I actually pulled out AC2, a game that I've played through 3 times already and rather played that. I don't know how to enjoy ACU. Every time I look on the minimap there is a chest I'm not allowed (!) to open and when I look in the inventory there is gear that I'm not allowed (!) to buy, I see "Boosters" and microtransactions that I simply don't want to see. And then I feel anger coming up and usually rant to friends that also play games about the current direction gaming is taking (spoiler: I don't like it)

I have random events every 20 steps that are - after you've seen the 5?6? different ones - INCREDIBLY boring and just stupid. Literally every few steps I run or walk amongst 2 guys and shove my blade up their throat. Unnecessary and after a while I just ignored them. Nevermind the public reactions to your killing that are worse than in any previous game: They are barely existent. Don't come at we with the explanation that its the french revolution. People would still run in panic when there is killing on the streets. Those citizens just step back, look shocked for a bit and then go about their business. Which was, btw, standing around doing nothing ALL THE TIME.

The gear and the gear upgrading would be unintuitive and boring even without having stuff locked (!!!). In black flag you had to collect things that made halfway sense to get better gear. Here you upgrade it with *points* (where we come back to microtransactions, yay). Are we back in 2005, immersionwise?

And those are just some of the the things that annoy me gameplaywise. The glitches and bugs are still numerous. 4 patches? Meaning I did actually play the game with the last patch. Boy I sure hope ubisoft doesn't think they are done with this game, but to me it sounds like they are.

Since I've paid a lot of money for this game, I would really like to enjoy it as much as the OP does. Teach me senpai.

dargor5
02-17-2015, 05:30 PM
I've tried to enjoy this game, I really did. But what I've done: Run all over ACU, unlock the towers, do a few missions, look at everything in Paris. It is very beautiful.

But... thats it. I can't get myself to want to play this game anymore. I actually pulled out AC2, a game that I've played through 3 times already and rather played that. I don't know how to enjoy ACU. Every time I look on the minimap there is a chest I'm not allowed (!) to open and when I look in the inventory there is gear that I'm not allowed (!) to buy, I see "Boosters" and microtransactions that I simply don't want to see. And then I feel anger coming up and usually rant to friends that also play games about the current direction gaming is taking (spoiler: I don't like it)

I have random events every 20 steps that are - after you've seen the 5?6? different ones - INCREDIBLY boring and just stupid. Literally every few steps I run or walk amongst 2 guys and shove my blade up their throat. Unnecessary and after a while I just ignored them. Nevermind the public reactions to your killing that are worse than in any previous game: They are barely existent. Don't come at we with the explanation that its the french revolution. People would still run in panic when there is killing on the streets. Those citizens just step back, look shocked for a bit and then go about their business. Which was, btw, standing around doing nothing ALL THE TIME.

The gear and the gear upgrading would be unintuitive and boring even without having stuff locked (!!!). In black flag you had to collect things that made halfway sense to get better gear. Here you upgrade it with *points* (where we come back to microtransactions, yay). Are we back in 2005, immersionwise?

And those are just some of the the things that annoy me gameplaywise. The glitches and bugs are still numerous. 4 patches? Meaning I did actually play the game with the last patch. Boy I sure hope ubisoft doesn't think they are done with this game, but to me it sounds like they are.

Since I've paid a lot of money for this game, I would really like to enjoy it as much as the OP does. Teach me senpai.

Hard to say friend. I'm very much into graphics when it comes to games and I enjoy roaming around. I do agree the story is not the best but I enjoyed that this time Arno was human and he rather fight for love than for the creed.
Also the gameplay part is still of preference. Many people disliked AC3 I for one loved it even though north american history was something that I wasnt that much into but the graphics and mechanics of the game itself were good.

I could be a AC weirdo, cause I do like Unity and AC3, many people hate those and I really dont like Blag Flag which many people consider one of the best because of the sailing thing. I liked that Unity went back to what an AC is, climbing on rooftops and having a giant map to just roam around freely and see how things were on those days and hey, Ive never been to Paris, but I bet if I go there they wont let me climb Notre Dame as I do in Unity xD

ACE7492
02-17-2015, 06:10 PM
Yes, I do think you are crazy. Just Kidding. Unity isn't the worst game I've ever played. If you have played the rest of the games in this series I just don't see this one stacking up to the rest of them. AC Unity is a pretty game, but gamers today have too many other choices by lots of companies that make beautiful games that run well and have lots of interesting content. Besides that, all of the AC games have always been in my opinion some of the best looking games anywhere, so they already had that in the bag. I still cant get past the first day I played(or tried to and kept crashing) and seen people with no face. Every AC game I have ever played I could find more good than bad with them, until Unity. All fun aside I do respect your opinion of why you say you like it, I just feel like you may be in the minority and I hope they learn from this games problematic launch.

playlisting
02-18-2015, 01:12 AM
Things that Assassin's Creed Unity had going for it:

Pretty graphics
High quality animations
Excellent realisation of revolutionary Paris
You can now run down as well as up

And that's pretty much it. Those things don't make the game fun (in my opinion). I'm not particularly interested in the story, the performance is lackluster (I played on PS4), there are FAR too many collectibles, the side missions weren't very interesting, there are way too many NPCs (running around the streets is basically a no go, but at least they removed the rooftop guards. With all the hullabaloo down below it's hard to really enjoy the city), customisation is ridiculous (I shouldn't have to spend anything to be able to sit on a bench or walk in a group), and the list goes on. While it might be enjoyable for some, it most definitely isn't for me. I'll probably try again at some point and hopefully they'll have fixed the performance either by optimisation, removing a good amount of the pointless NPCs, or, hopefully, both.

dargor5
02-18-2015, 01:25 AM
Things that Assassin's Creed Unity had going for it:

Pretty graphics
High quality animations
Excellent realisation of revolutionary Paris
You can now run down as well as up

And that's pretty much it. Those things don't make the game fun (in my opinion). I'm not particularly interested in the story, the performance is lackluster (I played on PS4), there are FAR too many collectibles, the side missions weren't very interesting, there are way too many NPCs (running around the streets is basically a no go, but at least they removed the rooftop guards. With all the hullabaloo down below it's hard to really enjoy the city), customisation is ridiculous (I shouldn't have to spend anything to be able to sit on a bench or walk in a group), and the list goes on. While it might be enjoyable for some, it most definitely isn't for me. I'll probably try again at some point and hopefully they'll have fixed the performance either by optimisation, removing a good amount of the pointless NPCs, or, hopefully, both.

I agree with you about the ammount of NPCs, they should have reduced at least 20% of it and still there was a lot, I get them wanting to give us a big rioting crowd but sometimes is just ridiculous

Lignjoslav
02-18-2015, 02:19 AM
Technical issues and a "meh" story are the two low points of the game.

Technical side includes bugs and ******ed limitations such as this being the first AC where you can't move a body (despite this supposedly being the "stealthiest" AC so far) and only one save slot with no option to start over, meaning that you're only supposed to see the opening medieval sequence once in your life and even portions of some later missions seem to have been cut, like at Arno's initiation (Murder Mysteries can't be replayed either if someone tried). And then there are places where bad design meets bugs, the Companion App and Initiates website integration.

Bugs are something which they might fix (starting to look more and more unlikely) or one may clench one's teeth and push through them, but the story will stay what it is and with that, this can never be one of the top games in this series in my books.

The city and the missions, including side missions, are the game's high points. They make Unity an enjoyable experience (I'd say highly enjoyable if it weren't for the bugs) and there are aspects of the game which are minor masterpieces in their own right, such as the city map itself, but the game as a whole has flaws that are too serious for me to call the complete work that.

The graphics are quite pretty, but only if you have the hardware to max it out. Even though each of the individual changes is minor, there is a big difference between "normal" settings with high textures, SSAO and high shadows, and maximum, that is ultra textures, HBAO and soft shadows.

playlisting
02-18-2015, 04:36 AM
Bugs are something which they might fix (starting to look more and more unlikely)

Thankfully there is another patch in the works which Ubisoft are to announce soon. It's been a while since the last patch so I think this patch is going to be a big one where all of the remaining bugs and performance problems are fixed. At least I hope.

Lignjoslav
02-18-2015, 05:20 AM
The performance improvements were expected in patch 3. They were removed from it because Ubi said they really wanted to make a significant change. They took a whole month, released the patch 4 and... nothing happened (except that SLI was broken again until Nvidia issued new drivers). So much for taking time to produce big results. As for bugs, nothing since Patch 3, which came out in November, the month Unity was released, and now we're in February.

I know there is a patch coming, I just don't expect much of it. If we got an additional save slot, I'd consider myself lucky. I expect them to fix the glaring, but peripheral issues with achievements and not being able to collect all the artifacts (although that's simply a matter of enabling syncing with Initiates again). If they make any other positive change that I can observe, I'll come here and say that I'm sorry I was a doubting Thomas.

AnnieBeGood
02-18-2015, 11:30 AM
First my confession. I love AC..... I have from the very first game.
Unity for me is the best yet, the graphics are mind-blowing, the npcs fun and the setting perfect. My game on pc plays beautifully. Yes I have the odd glitch but that happens in every game. The very best addition is co-op. It makes each mission different depending on how many are playing. Adding the in game chat is so much fun. Between you all it can then be played almost totally with stealth and not rush in and swath through with force. It is one of the most fun games I have ever played. Personally I love the fact that Ubi reached out hard to make this game so beautiful. I hope they add more coop missions in dlc.. and if not then have them in Victory too. Great fun and worth every penny.

dargor5
02-18-2015, 03:18 PM
First my confession. I love AC..... I have from the very first game.
Unity for me is the best yet, the graphics are mind-blowing, the npcs fun and the setting perfect. My game on pc plays beautifully. Yes I have the odd glitch but that happens in every game. The very best addition is co-op. It makes each mission different depending on how many are playing. Adding the in game chat is so much fun. Between you all it can then be played almost totally with stealth and not rush in and swath through with force. It is one of the most fun games I have ever played. Personally I love the fact that Ubi reached out hard to make this game so beautiful. I hope they add more coop missions in dlc.. and if not then have them in Victory too. Great fun and worth every penny.

Great so I guess Im not crazy and not the only one who thinks this :p

McMelch
02-20-2015, 09:32 AM
I'd really love one of the "people that decide" explain some of their design decisions, just out of curiosity.
Only one savespot? What was the thought behind that except technical limitations due to the unbelievably complicated way the accounts and achievements work?
Super stealthy AC but you can't move a body?
Oh and more thing that really killed it for me that I didn't mention before: Why was it seemingly so hard to get speakers that will at least attempt to pretend a french accent? Again, look at the AC2 games: It was perfect, they all sounded great and immersive. In AC Unity they spew some french words here and there and thats it. I'll just take the woman crying about the thief every 40 steps: Literally a cockney accent! And pretty much every speaker sounds like he is from deep britiain. Did you have contract obligations with those speakers and couldn't they have at least tried?
Do any of you guys "up there" play video games? This is the important question, because I think you don't. I think most of the people that made the big decisions in this game are simply not gamers. There is no other way to explain how you managed to take the "soul" away from a game like this. I know "Soul" is a very vague description of what this game lacks, but thats the best i can do.

Again, I could go on for a book worth at this point, but I'll leave it at that.

I realize that I'm basically just complaining about spilled milk, but fact is, I was one of the AC Fans from the first hour, played every game for ages and always had fun. I enjoyed AC III too! And this game has killed it completely. Every time I open steam and glance over AC Unity in my list, I feel regret for buying it and anger for what they did to the series. So when I see someone saying he thinks it is the best of the series (which is your good right :P and I'm glad for you), i feel like going "not under my watch!" and at least say why I disagree entirely.

Edit: I did however just see the patchnotes

Made Initiate and companion app exclusive content accessible to all players

Took you long enough, but thats a big step in the right direction to understand how it should work. You can't lock players that bought your full priced game out of stuff. You can make it easier or better to obtain through club and nomad stuff, but never ever lock someone out of content.

Lignjoslav
02-20-2015, 09:44 AM
We seem to have the same pet peeves. I solved the accent problem by playing the game with spoken French and English subtitles. It worked rather well for me. All of the texts and written notes were in English too, for instance, letters from Elise (but she would read them in French, of course). The only exceptions are a couple of documents from Dead Kings DLC, in which the text appeared in French.

witchking05
02-20-2015, 09:49 AM
I agree..inspite of the annoying bugs: Arno just stops responding to controls suddenly... need to alt F4 to close, I once had arno just stop moving on a rope....he was standing...that's it. There is stupid little white dots at the seams of all polygons in building interiors which breaks the scene quite badly.
BUT
Ubisoft you guys did a hell of a job with the parkour animations. Damn its awesome. Love the improvements in animations. very very nice and believable. Not to mention the graphics...spectacular. Very very well done. But stop being such a money *****. Seriously...stop it with the freaking different kinds of currency, the boosts, the freaking annoying initiates, companion app. We are paying you $70 already...freaking stop behaving like this is a free game with microtransactions. Stop being greedy and keep making the amazing content at this level. Just stop it with the greed. Let us enjoy the game as it is without muddling it with un-necessary stuff.

McMelch
02-20-2015, 10:35 AM
We seem to have the same pet peeves. I solved the accent problem by playing the game with spoken French and English subtitles. It worked rather well for me. All of the texts and written notes were in English too, for instance, letters from Elise (but she would read them in French, of course). The only exceptions are a couple of documents from Dead Kings DLC, in which the text appeared in French.

Not going to lie, I didn't even have that idea. Going to try this next time I attempt this game.
Still think they should have done a better job with that :p

Lignjoslav
02-20-2015, 10:48 AM
Well, since we're being honest, I have to admit that I read that somewhere before I first entered the game. :D

RhoidSlayer
02-21-2015, 05:48 PM
I didn't start AC unity until after patch 4 , so I haven't encountered the patched frustrations .
The game IS a masterpiece on so many levels , some enabled by hardware , but an accomplishment to be proud of regardless.
its a tragedy the roll out was rushed .

the splash screen would have been better used to point AC newbs to the e-manual and tutorials in the database , than explaining the saving icon , and I don't want to admit how long it took me to realize they existed ...

Arno is still unnecessarily hard to control (at least for me), jumping from rooftops , rolls , ranged shots while perched or hanging,
jumping into windows and into balconies etc. hours of multi-keying gets painful , but its amazing how much immersion is accomplished with key presses .

the scripts in some co-op missions don't scale for solo , and took awhile to realize there was a mission abort in the saving napoleon co-op and making the mistake of visiting Dead Kings too early might lock you into an mission you can't complete to enable the fast travel point .
[forgot the e key spamming bellec fight in 7-3 , progression breaking without the windowed rez reduction tip]

80% of the content remaining , francs and creed points to burn , and nothing worth buying ...
the economy needs a worth while money sink ... boosts and club competition items could be a short term solution .
skill tree could use some DLC extension too , if it's not already .

there's a lot to enjoy in ACU , including episodes with so much detail and atmosphere I resented the script denying the opportunity to explore and admire it ... and how you've managed to accomplish getting Arno to scale the heights of paris without triggering my acrophobia is beyond me ... I usually have to pop Meclizine

ps: and if this IS a console port , it's the first I know of to overcome the usual limitations attributed to that pedigree
pss: I'm also an not a fan of micro-transactions . I walked away from 5 years of character dev in eq2 over that , and forced socialization that restricted gear to group and raid content . I'm not against co-op , I loved arena , but unless you joined and progressed with a dependable clique , every group became a catch 22 gear resume job interview where expertise against the instance script was an increasing requirement , and where each expansion initially levels the playing field while simultaneously increasing the height of the scripted hurdles for a decreasing subscriber base able to make the leaps and motivated to continue [just an fyi if your planning on continuing to migrate toward mmorpg]

nino__bruce
02-21-2015, 06:02 PM
The graphics is the best,but the story line is not so good.