PDA

View Full Version : Why did Ubisoft use Ezio's theme tune for Rogue and Unity?

EmptyCrustacean
02-16-2015, 09:47 PM
It's really creepy.
Let him go, Ubisoft. You will never make another Ezio. Geez.

wvstolzing
02-16-2015, 09:50 PM
The same reason why there was a 'glowy sword' and a 'Sage' in the game -- brand recognition, and nothing more than that.

Namikaze_17
02-16-2015, 09:52 PM
Because it's Ezio. Everyone loves Ezio. :rolleyes:

VestigialLlama4
02-16-2015, 09:55 PM
Because Rogue/Unity is the Franchise jumping the shark that's why. The good games like AC3 and Black Flag don't go for that kind of crap.

Altair1789
02-16-2015, 10:04 PM
I thought it kinda worked in both of them, but they need to move forward and stop second guessing

Perk89
02-16-2015, 10:37 PM
Ezio and the Ezio trilogy are what brought the franchise into prominence with their quality, and his theme was a huge part of that, and it has become really big. I guess they're just trying to recapture the tone and say "THIS IS THE ASSASSINS CREED YOUVE BEEN WAITING FOR"

I do kinda wish they wouldn't of copped his song though. It was part of what made him the extremely beloved character he was by the gaming community. Given how Rogue and Unity fared though I guess it's safe to say it isn't going to change that.

StormsAndSaints
02-16-2015, 10:45 PM
I think it's just an overall theme of Assassins Creed... not just the Ezio chronicles.

EmptyCrustacean
02-16-2015, 11:18 PM
Ezio and the Ezio trilogy are what brought the franchise into prominence with their quality, and his theme was a huge part of that, and it has become really big. I guess they're just trying to recapture the tone and say "THIS IS THE ASSASSINS CREED YOUVE BEEN WAITING FOR"

yep, pretty much this. Except when they do it with every game it plays more like a cynical attempt to trigger an emotional response by using music we associate with happier memories.

phoenix-force411
02-16-2015, 11:29 PM
I didn't hear anything of Ezio's Family in Unity, but in Rogue, it's only in the main theme but that is supported by two other themes as well.

Assassin_M
02-16-2015, 11:53 PM
Because Ezio sells. He always does.

ze_topazio
02-17-2015, 01:10 AM

He's a merchant?

Assassin_M
02-17-2015, 01:11 AM
He's a merchant?
The merchant of Florence.

JustPlainQuirky
02-17-2015, 01:15 AM
Because Ubisoft is trying to make the Ezio theme the "assassin" theme.

Which is stupid.

Anykeyer
02-17-2015, 07:39 AM
Ezio tune is de facto AC theme. ACR and AC3 themes were based on the same chord progression.

The_Kiwi_
02-17-2015, 08:48 AM

Too bad he is too damn expensive for me

marvelfannumber
02-17-2015, 10:51 AM
I don't understand why they didn't just reuse Access the Animus instead, it has a much more general AC theme feel and has a less specific and more fitting name.

Hearing Ezio's Family in Unity and Rogue is just distracting, because none of the events in the game have anything to do with Ezio (aside from the box in Rogue I guess)

ACfan443
02-17-2015, 01:44 PM
To be fair, a lot of music was carried over from AC1 through to the Ezio trilogy and no one cared, don't see why this trivial non-issue is being taken to heart especially since it's just one song and barely makes an appearance for more than a minute.

Establishing a thematic link between games in a long running a franchise isn't unheard of you know

Megas_Doux
02-17-2015, 03:06 PM
I don't understand why they didn't just reuse Access the Animus instead, it has a much more general AC theme feel and has a less specific and more fitting name.

Access the Animus is, or should be, THE true soundtrack of this franchise.

EmbodyingSeven5
02-17-2015, 03:10 PM
To be fair, a lot of music was carried over from AC1 through to the Ezio trilogy and no one cared, don't see why this trivial non-issue is being taken to heart especially since it's just one song and barely makes an appearance for more than a minute.

Establishing a thematic link between games in a long running a franchise isn't unheard of you know

no. it does matter.......... because everyone is jealous that Ezio is better than Connor

* continues to take off into nearby forest*

JustPlainQuirky
02-17-2015, 04:14 PM
Hearing Ezio's Family in Unity and Rogue is just distracting, because none of the events in the game have anything to do with Ezio (aside from the box in Rogue I guess)

Not to mention the Assassin essence that is Ezio's theme doesn't fit the Templar ideology in Rogue whatsoever.

Assassin_M
02-17-2015, 04:32 PM
To be fair, a lot of music was carried over from AC1 through to the Ezio trilogy and no one cared
Because no tracks were called "Altair's family".

JustPlainQuirky
02-17-2015, 04:34 PM
Also it makes sense to borrow themes from the first installment of the franchise, as the first installment is often seen as the representation of the franchise.

Just look at any nintendo franchise for example.

wvstolzing
02-17-2015, 05:24 PM
Because no tracks were called "Altair's family".

That's it; it's due to the track names on the official soundtrack.

Without that, I don't think bits of music would be associated with specific characters; it's not like they're Wagnerian leitmotives.

GunnerGalactico
02-17-2015, 05:54 PM
Access the Animus is, or should be, THE true soundtrack of this franchise.

^ Absolutely this!

JustPlainQuirky
02-17-2015, 05:58 PM
Eh

The song isnt that good IMO. Not suitable for a main theme anyway. Aside from a small snippet late in the song.

Besides, animus was ditched for the helix (which is kind of sad IMO).

CyrussNP
02-17-2015, 07:07 PM
You guys are idiots. Why did they use a song that they used before in a past game? Does anyone ask that same question for any other franchise? Are they not permitted to use their own assets? To me it just seems like the Assassins Creed theme for the most part. It's not saying "Hey, here's another Ezio" as much as it's saying "Hey, here's another Assassin's Creed". I'm more upset by them not ever using the "Rooftops of Venice" theme in any of the games. Of course because of the title it only made sense to use it in AC 2 and Brotherhood, but I was hoping it would come up again in another Assassins Creed game.

JustPlainQuirky
02-17-2015, 07:17 PM
You guys are idiots. Why did they use a song that they used before in a past game? Does anyone ask that same question for any other franchise? Are they not permitted to use their own assets? To me it just seems like the Assassins Creed theme for the most part. It's not saying "Hey, here's another Ezio" as much as it's saying "Hey, here's another Assassin's Creed". I'm more upset by them not ever using the "Rooftops of Venice" theme in any of the games. Of course because of the title it only made sense to use it in AC 2 and Brotherhood, but I was hoping it would come up again in another Assassins Creed game.

The problem is each protagonist up until this year have had their own unique theme to identify them. Having Ezio's theme in place of a unique one gives a character's game a lack of identity.

That's my take on it anyway.

ze_topazio
02-17-2015, 08:06 PM
I think it's kinda sad this series doesn't have a main theme.

SixKeys
02-17-2015, 08:09 PM
I think it's kinda sad this series doesn't have a main theme.

It does now, apparently.

EmptyCrustacean
02-17-2015, 08:12 PM
The problem is each protagonist up until this year have had their own unique theme to identify them. Having Ezio's theme in place of a unique one gives a character's game a lack of identity.

That's my take on it anyway.

That's a problem with Arno in general - he doesn't have a strong identity beyond his love for Elise and his need for revenge. Both of which are gone. The fact that we barely get to play in his original outfit and the fact that its "novice" outfit which means we can't equip it in uture games without seriously downgrading... yeah.

Namikaze_17
02-17-2015, 08:48 PM
That's a problem with Arno in general - he doesn't have a strong identity beyond his love for Elise and his need for revenge. Both of which are gone. The fact that we barely get to play in his original outfit and the fact that its "novice" outfit which means we can't equip it in uture games without seriously downgrading... yeah.

https://31.media.tumblr.com/4f473dca404f3c0de3e92941ccba3505/tumblr_nh2nbc8vgS1u4cfhoo1_500.gif

JustPlainQuirky
02-17-2015, 11:16 PM
It does now, apparently.

No no no.

I refuse to let Ubisoft pull that crap.

If we're going to have a main theme it is NOT going to be Ezio theme.

It will be an original theme that is not originally intended for a single assassin.

.....*cries*

Christ please dont bring it back again, Ubi

I will literally puke blood.

Not literally but....

literally

EmptyCrustacean
02-17-2015, 11:30 PM
Oh shut up, Hitler lover. You post that facepalm gif every single time you can't form a coherent, mature argument (which is often).
Ezio is popular and loved, get over it. :rolleyes:

JustPlainQuirky
02-17-2015, 11:31 PM
Oh shut up, Hitler lover.

That escalated quickly.

That's a problem with Arno in general - he doesn't have a strong identity beyond his love for Elise and his need for revenge.

I agree

ze_topazio
02-18-2015, 12:05 AM
Oh shut up, Hitler lover. You post that facepalm gif every single time you can't form a coherent, mature argument (which is often).

http://41.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9ygwfo9FZ1rfmqsoo1_500.png

EmptyCrustacean
02-18-2015, 12:22 AM
http://41.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9ygwfo9FZ1rfmqsoo1_500.png

Oh, don't. Namikaze will blow that up and post it to his/her bedroom wall, gazing longingly at it, wishing he/she could have been born earlier so he/she could personally come up to
Hitler and kiss his feet before saying "may the father of understanding guide you!"

JustPlainQuirky
02-18-2015, 12:27 AM
Oh, don't. Namikaze will blow that up and post it to his/her bedroom wall, gazing longingly at it, wishing he/she could have been born earlier so he/she could personally come up to
Hitler and kiss his feet before saying "may the father of understanding guide you!"

Can we stray from controversial accusations please?

Even if as a joke, some forumers may take offense to it.

That sort of talk is best suited for twitter and other social media.

The_Kiwi_
02-18-2015, 12:28 AM

So?
1,000,000,000 people eat cow colons, it doesn't mean it's nice

EmptyCrustacean
02-18-2015, 12:36 AM
Can we stray from controversial accusations please?

Even if as a joke, some forumers may take offense to it.

That sort of talk is best suited for twitter and other social media.

It's not controversial if the person in question gleefully admits it just because the Templars (who are fictional lol) support him.
And Twitter doesn't allow so many characters.

Fatal-Feit
02-18-2015, 12:38 AM
I'll be the first on this forum to admit I prefer Rogue's theme over the original Ezio's Family. =p

JustPlainQuirky
02-18-2015, 12:39 AM
It's not controversial if the person in question gleefully admits it just because the Templars (who are fictional lol) support him.
And Twitter doesn't allow so many characters.

Ah, wasn't aware of that. Figured just random accusation.

Do please keep it at a minimum though. Just in case.

I'll be the first on this forum to admit I prefer Rogue's theme over the original Ezio's Family. =p

Rogue's theme is a mesh of 2-3 songs. It's not even an original theme. It's an arrangement. I hate it with a passion and sincerely hope whoever "composed" it sits down and thinks about what he/she has done.

EmptyCrustacean
02-18-2015, 12:40 AM
So?
1,000,000,000 people eat cow colons, it doesn't mean it's nice

Not saying it is. Point is, Namikaze has a chip on his/her shoulder about Ezio. Any time someone gives him a compliment he/she jumps at the chance to tell them they're idiots for liking him.
Any time somebody criticises a character that he/she deems to share similar qualities with Ezio he/she will mention it even if nobody has even brought up Ezio in the same breath e.g. when I said Arno is nothing beyond his revenge. He/she is obsessed with Ezio for some reason. It's really weird.

JustPlainQuirky
02-18-2015, 12:42 AM
Any time somebody criticises a character that he/she deems to share similar qualities with Ezio he/she will mention it even if nobody has even brought up Ezio in the same breath e.g. when I said Arno is nothing beyond his revenge.

I do agree some forumers (though not nami specifically) tend to correlate "I find arno's character poorly executed" with "arno is just not as good as ezio" which can get a bit annoying sometimes, admittedly.

Then again Im the most annoying person on the forums so I shouldn't talk, lmfao

ze_topazio
02-18-2015, 12:44 AM
I like Rogue's main theme, come at me.

Fatal-Feit
02-18-2015, 12:49 AM
Rogue's theme is a mesh of 2-3 songs. It's not even an original theme. It's an arrangement. I hate it with a passion and sincerely hope whoever "composed" it sits down and thinks about what he/she has done.

Don't be sour. You know it's a beautiful orchestra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmlCudR3JPk

0:30 orgasm every time I boot up the game.

JustPlainQuirky
02-18-2015, 12:52 AM
I like Rogue's main theme, come at me.

back in the naughty corner for you!

Don't be sour. You know it's a beautiful orchestra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmlCudR3JPk

0:30 orgasm every time I boot up the game.

It's not the sound of it I'm mostly upset about. It's the complete recycled factor and the fact that it does not well represent Rogue whatsoever.

ze_topazio
02-18-2015, 12:55 AM
Yeah I don't like how everything always ends up on Ezio, "I don't like this character", "Is that because he's not like Ezio?", I also don't like how people always assume likable and charismatic character means "ladies man and making jokes" like that's mandatory traits for likability and charisma.

EmptyCrustacean
02-18-2015, 12:58 AM
I do agree some forumers (though not nami specifically) tend to correlate "I find arno's character poorly executed" with "arno is just not as good as ezio" which can get a bit annoying sometimes, admittedly.

Then again Im the most annoying person on the forums so I shouldn't talk, lmfao

It's so strange. I don't know why every character anaylsis always ends up being about Ezio by the time the discussion is through lol. I actually like Arno as a character.
It's his arc/development I have an issue with.
And you're not annoying :)

JustPlainQuirky
02-18-2015, 01:01 AM
Yeah I don't like how everything always ends up on Ezio, "I don't like this character", "Is that because he's not like Ezio?", I also don't like how people always assume likable and charismatic character means "ladies man and making jokes" like that's mandatory traits for likability and charisma.

It's so strange. I don't know why every character anaylsis always ends up being about Ezio by the time the discussion is through lol. I actually like Arno as a character.
It's his arc/development I have an issue with.
And you're not annoying :)

I mean there's no denying Arno shares some elements suspiciously similar to ezio but that doesnt mean all of his flaws are due to him being too similar/different to Ezio.

it makes debates quite cumbersome

And thanks mate

Fatal-Feit
02-18-2015, 01:02 AM
It's not the sound of it I'm mostly upset about. It's the complete recycled factor and the fact that it does not well represent Rogue whatsoever.

Could be because you still associate the Ezio's Family bit with AC2 (which is understandable). After playing Rogue for so long, the theme reminds me more of Rogue than AC2. The theme hits you when you boot up the game and it replays throughout New York. =p

AC3's theme works well with Rogue because, well, obvious reasons. Since Ezio's Family is supposedly the ''Brotherhood'' theme now, I like of think of it as a metaphorical transformation from Assassin to Templar. Cheesy, but this is what happens when you make peace with its constant repeats.

JustPlainQuirky
02-18-2015, 01:05 AM
Could be because you still associate the Ezio's Family bit with AC2 (which is understandable). After playing Rogue for so long, the theme reminds me more of Rogue than AC2. =p

unlikely. i only played ac2 once. its the unoriginal main theme that bothers me exclusively.

Liberation is an off-hand vita game and has my favorite main theme in the whole franchise.

this game's main theme just communicates to me its a recycled mess.

and that's only half-true

Fatal-Feit
02-18-2015, 01:16 AM
unlikely. i only played ac2 once. its the unoriginal main theme that bothers me exclusively.

Liberation is an off-hand vita game and has my favorite main theme in the whole franchise.

this game's main theme just communicates to me its a recycled mess.

and that's only half-true

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pMC-4QZAKE

To each their own, I suppose.

Anyway, that's fine. Personally, I'm still a little bitter about Ezio's Family being echoed throughout New York, but like every AC, there's always something you learn to tolerate. =p

JustPlainQuirky
02-18-2015, 01:18 AM
This one?

To each their own, I suppose.

Anyway, that's fine. Personally, I'm still a little bitter about Ezio's Family being echoed throughout New York, but like every AC, there's always something you learn to tolerate. =p

We all have to put up with it eventually.

I just like to vocalize my distaste in the hopes it doesnt happen again.

SixKeys
02-18-2015, 12:31 PM
I love Rogue's theme, the way Celtic violins are integrated into it kind of gives it its own sound. It's still annoying they seem to have chosen "Ezio's Family" as the overall theme of the franchise, but if that's how they wanna roll, each game should at least put their own period-accurate spin on it.

Farlander1991
02-18-2015, 01:41 PM
Theming in music can be a really great tool. For example in The Lord of the Rings movies it's used phenomenally. There's lots of stand-alone pieces there, but also a lot of themes that connect everything together.

And AC is sadly has quite bad at that kind of theming.

Themes for things like the theme for the series itself, for the Assassin brotherhood, for the Templars (they did have a common theme but only in two games that shared the same composer: ACR and AC3) would do a great deal to have some sort of subtle connection brought by music.

Or the fact that AC3 has two variatons of the Kenway theme (British variant for Haytham and native-american for Connor), but AC4 doesn't have even remotely similar theme for Edward (not even a small part of it referencing the motif). AC4's music is awesome, but there's still a missed opportunity there.

But, honestly, if we start doing theming retroactively, I don't mind the use of the Ezio theme, as long as they don't drop it off for the next games.

each game should at least put their own period-accurate spin on it.

Like Age of Empires :D (starting with AoEII)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVM40K_vNRs

TexasCaesar
02-20-2015, 08:08 AM
It's really creepy.
Let him go, Ubisoft. You will never make another Ezio. Geez.

Did they? I didn't even notice. It was pretty clear, though, that they thought they'd make lightning strike twice, while forgetting to give their knockoff Ezio such little things as a personality.

III had a beautiful theme. IV had some good music, but I can't even remember the theme, so I guess it wasn't that good. Unity was decent, fit the setting well enough.

The_Kiwi_
02-20-2015, 08:13 AM
Did they? I didn't even notice. It was pretty clear, though, that they thought they'd make lightning strike twice, while forgetting to give their knockoff Ezio such little things as a personality.

III had a beautiful theme. IV had some good music, but I can't even remember the theme, so I guess it wasn't that good. Unity was decent, fit the setting well enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JudtkSaTuE

How could you forget something this spectacular?

pirate1802
02-20-2015, 08:54 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVM40K_vNRs

Oh man oh man oh man... totally wasn't expecting to be run over by the nostalgia train this morning. This was the first game I ever played on my PC, in those dusty old days of 1990s.

Good times, good times.

TexasCaesar
02-20-2015, 09:03 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JudtkSaTuE

How could you forget something this spectacular?

You're right, I do remember it now. Suitable for a pirate song, not enjoyable to listen to on its own.

Namikaze_17
02-20-2015, 04:50 PM

Hearing this actually makes me want Winifred to compose another soundtrack.

I also like this:

http://youtu.be/ahOAyVfe7t8

It really gives that eerie ominous feel like an Assassin. :cool:

GunnerGalactico
02-20-2015, 05:08 PM
Hearing this actually makes me want Winifred to compose another soundtrack.

I also like this:

http://youtu.be/ahOAyVfe7t8

It really gives that eerie ominous feel like an Assassin. :cool:

I liked the menu track too. Chasing Freedom is the only other track that I like in Liberation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Eug6uE6pcs&feature=player_detailpage#t=5

Fatal-Feit
02-20-2015, 05:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Eug6uE6pcs&feature=player_detailpage#t=5

This one was phenomenal! Sounds like a unused track, tho.

GunnerGalactico
02-20-2015, 05:44 PM
This one was phenomenal! Sounds like a unused track, tho.

I remember listening to that on the end credits.

Fatal-Feit
02-20-2015, 06:24 PM
That track is so orgasmic. Damn!

I'm imagining Arno, Connor, and Shay teaming up to fight an army, jamming to that music in the background.

warriorpoet23
02-20-2015, 11:56 PM
has anyone thought that the use of ezios family as the theme for rogue/unity is a hint that shay and arno are descendants of ezio? as in from the ezio side of desmonds family tree, while altair and the kenway's are separate sides of his family tree (and yes i know that desmond may not even be related to arno or shay).

Just to me the main themes for each game do have themes running through them.
ac1 has it's own theme
ac2 /acb have a variation of the same theme
acr has what to me seems like a combination of ac1/ac2/acb themes (since it had ezio and altair)
ac:l & ac:fc have 2 completely seperate themes (as aveline & adewale are completely unrelated to any other character)
ac3/ac:bf have a kenway theme (variations of it anyway, i'm sure i can hear ac3 theme in bf's theme... could just be me though)

so having acu and ac:ro (how do you abbreviate rogue when theres already an acr?) include ezios theme would indicate a relationship with ezio. Maybe that will be discovered in acv? I'm sure that ACchina will have a separate theme (but maybe with a hint of ezio's family since she debuted in an ezio story).

it could also be used as a way to say this is a new start... ac1 wasn't as good as planned so ac2 was a new start (almost want to use the term reboot). They finished the desmond series and had bf as a semi-stand alone in-between entry, obviously continuing (beginning?) the kenway series (which is why it's theme is so different from the other games), so when they came to unity/rogue they used ezio's theme as a way to say new start, new 'trilogy', new reboot, new focus etc.

Fatal-Feit
02-21-2015, 12:50 AM
Arno and Shay are confirmed to not be descendants of Ezio, IIRC.

The_Kiwi_
02-21-2015, 05:50 AM

Thank God

Namikaze_17
02-21-2015, 06:26 AM

Praise Jesus!

Sabutto
02-21-2015, 06:35 AM
Because ezios theme screams assassin creed.

and Ezio pretty much brought the series its climax

Namikaze_17
02-21-2015, 06:48 AM
If I wear an orange shirt, does that mean its color and style fits everyone else?

The_Kiwi_
02-21-2015, 07:20 AM
If I wear an orange shirt, does that mean its color and style fits everyone else?

It would if you were loved by 75% of people for no good reason at all

VoldR
02-21-2015, 07:31 AM
That's one thing I dislike about customization of clothing to boost skills...
In Diablo that's fine...
But games like Assassins creed or splinter cell, I don't bother... I stick to the costume the story gave me till it changes by itself or provide a story costume like the armors we can unlock in past AC games.

Only the armor in Revelations I didn't like. Its so bulky and thick, not suitable for a climber, stealth old guy...
When I do get to play Unity... I plan to stick with his original threads novice or not.
:)

See if its impossible to win without piecing a whole bunch of parts that don't match..

abdullah77
10-30-2015, 02:39 AM
https://youtu.be/5l4yE7tByxY?t=1h24m35s Austin Wintory used wrote this piece for Syndicate named 'Family' in the comments he said ""Bloodlines." Unless you're referring to the overall AC theme, which is "Ezio's Family" (originally from AC2), by Jesper Kyd :)" then he said in a reply to the same comment "Yes "Family" (the last track, whose singer is Victoria Atkin, the voice of Evie!) is my version of "Ezio's Family" from AC2. It's sort of the 'franchise theme' but it's no the main theme of Syndicate. It's only used once whereas "Bloodlines" shows up in a million iterations. Happy you found what you were looking for!!" Soooo... this means Ezio's family is the main theme of the Franchise, I mean we've already seen different iterations in Rogue, Unity and now Syndicate. it is a powerful and emotional piece of music, and it is very good, so Ubisoft chose it for the franchise theme. And personally I love it!