PDA

View Full Version : Message to Ubisoft.

zbarr12
02-16-2015, 05:34 PM
The past few Assassin's creed games have been very fun. Boarding ships, walking around a beautiful 18th century Paris. However, one very important thing has been missing: The storyline.

Previously, the Assassin's creed games have left you wanting to know what happens next. They made you want to instantly put in the next disk and keep playing. That wonderful aspect has been missing from their newest titles though. They've been very fun to play, but it just feels like I'm killing people for no reason. I want the feeling of my mind being blown to return. I want to hear myself say, "oh, my, gosh... Whaaaat???" Whenever I beat the game. I miss the suspense.

Ubisoft, please return to the storyline.

Altair1789
02-16-2015, 07:10 PM
http://i.imgur.com/kW1l2No.gif

Don't worry, you're not alone. Many of us have been feeling and saying the same things :) Welcome to the forums by the way, hope you like it here

I don't think Ubisoft will give us another filler story like Unity or AC4 though. I'm assuming they'll be taking the pro-MD and pro-narrative feedback and putting more effort into those areas

Alphacos007
02-16-2015, 08:51 PM
Seriously hope you're right Altair, seriously do.

JustPlainQuirky
02-17-2015, 01:26 AM
Previously, the Assassin's creed games have left you wanting to know what happens next. They made you want to instantly put in the next disk and keep playing. That wonderful aspect has been missing from their newest titles though.

You're describing the overarching narrative.

And yes, it has been neglected.

In the very least, many Ubisoft officials have heard the community's complaints and we may see a change.

Jexx21
02-17-2015, 01:55 AM
nah

JustPlainQuirky
02-17-2015, 01:57 AM
aaay jexx you're back. you just visiting?

p.s. the pop vinyl u sent me should be here tomorrow. im excited!

on-topic:

Im trying to be hopeful and not pessimistic for once. hngh

Jexx21
02-17-2015, 02:00 AM
the soda pop tastes like connor's urine

Eziodagreat
02-17-2015, 05:06 AM
The past few Assassin's creed games have been very fun. Boarding ships, walking around a beautiful 18th century Paris. However, one very important thing has been missing: The storyline.

Previously, the Assassin's creed games have left you wanting to know what happens next. They made you want to instantly put in the next disk and keep playing. That wonderful aspect has been missing from their newest titles though. They've been very fun to play, but it just feels like I'm killing people for no reason. I want the feeling of my mind being blown to return. I want to hear myself say, "oh, my, gosh... Whaaaat???" Whenever I beat the game. I miss the suspense.

Ubisoft, please return to the storyline.

I usually never post my own thoughts on AC, only read through the forums to gauge what other people's opinions are. I am glad there are others out there who think like I do on what Assassins Creed stands for.

I wrote an email to Ubisoft back in 2013 expressing my concerns but realized it wasn't the best option for someone to read it. After reading your post, it made me dig up this old letter and share it with like-minded people.

Assassins Creed 3 was the biggest kick to the groin I had experienced in gaming. Needless to say, I had lost all hope for the future of AC after AC3.

The reason I wrote this letter is because I had gotten an email from Ubisoft to take a survey on AC3, and after completing it, I pounded my thoughts out in a fanboy rage.

Posted below is this letter, and keep in mind I wrote this in 2013 before Black Flag came out. If you have time Zbarr, let me know if this is how you felt back then as well. And if anyone from Ubisoft ever reads this, please remember there are people out there who loved the game before you heavily advertised it.

Hello Ubisoft, I noticed in your email you stated that I should "take 15 minutes to fill out the survey below to help us make our next game more enjoyable." But as far as I could tell, I just gave you demographic information on who plays your game, not any input on "how to make it more enjoyable." First off, I am not some new guy that just got hooked to the franchise in AC3. Back in 2007, Assassins Creed meant something to me, it was not only fun, but I felt like it taught me something about life. Same with AC2 and Brotherhood--kind of with Revelations (Revelations gets hated on a lot, but it did have its moments I realize).

Do you want to know what made these games great? The 2012 storyline, with the mysterious Desmond Miles. It made us rethink about what beliefs we have of the past, and how not all perspectives are detailed accurately, and it was GREAT. It actually shook some of our convictions, and at the same time believe in something greater than ourselves, the fight for the good in this world even when the odds are stacked against you. There was Brotherhood. We loved getting to meet historical people, recreated to show us internal struggles at the time, while at the same time the major theme of the world was Assassins vs. Templars.

Wanna know what was wrong with AC3? There was no brotherhood at all, even Connor didn't truly know what the Templars stood for, he just heard the word and started swinging his axe. Even the people you recruit are not truly Assassins, they have no opinion in the fight, and they don't even wear the robes. Did anyone other than Achilles know what they actually stood for? And the Templars weren't ever really in control, they were just kind of middle men on both sides which downplayed the conflict considerably. Don't even get me started on the scenery. You go from places like Venice and beautiful Istanbul to these bland shantytowns? Outrageous. And for the 2012 story line, as bad as it was, I hope you can save yourselves with the new game. I'm too much of a TRUE Assassin's Creed fan to give up just yet.

I know it's way too late for this now, but I feel that Lucy (I honestly don't know why you didn't pay Kristen Bell, she was part of the main element of the story!) could have saved this series. Everything was leading up for her and Desmond to fall in love and fight the Templars together, and all of a sudden, at the end of the game you add a few cheesy scapegoats to show she was a Templar? Bull. That's what marked the downfall of this series. Also, what the hell was with Vidic's and Daniel Cross's executions? No dialogue? Vidic represented THE BIGGEST THREAT IN THE GAME. And Desmond doesn't even kill him himself, terrible, just terrible. I know this will never be read by any of you Ubisoft people, you don't care about pleasing the original fans, all you want is to draw in more customers to make money. Ooh, come check out our new pirate theme, Assassins! This one is sure to be adventurous, with no real relation to the past games at all, we want money! But if it does get read, I know my opinion will not matter so PLEASE just a reply email saying someone read this.. it doesn't even have to say anything. I just want to know if somehow what I have said will make a difference.

-- EziodaGreat

DemonLord4lf
02-17-2015, 05:47 AM
I usually never post my own thoughts on AC, only read through the forums to gauge what other people's opinions are. I am glad there are others out there who think like I do on what Assassins Creed stands for.

I wrote an email to Ubisoft back in 2013 expressing my concerns but realized it wasn't the best option for someone to read it. After reading your post, it made me dig up this old letter and share it with like-minded people.

Assassins Creed 3 was the biggest kick to the groin I had experienced in gaming. Needless to say, I had lost all hope for the future of AC after AC3.

The reason I wrote this letter is because I had gotten an email from Ubisoft to take a survey on AC3, and after completing it, I pounded my thoughts out in a fanboy rage.

Posted below is this letter, and keep in mind I wrote this in 2013 before Black Flag came out. If you have time Zbarr, let me know if this is how you felt back then as well. And if anyone from Ubisoft ever reads this, please remember there are people out there who loved the game before you heavily advertised it.

Hello Ubisoft, I noticed in your email you stated that I should "take 15 minutes to fill out the survey below to help us make our next game more enjoyable." But as far as I could tell, I just gave you demographic information on who plays your game, not any input on "how to make it more enjoyable." First off, I am not some new guy that just got hooked to the franchise in AC3. Back in 2007, Assassins Creed meant something to me, it was not only fun, but I felt like it taught me something about life. Same with AC2 and Brotherhood--kind of with Revelations (Revelations gets hated on a lot, but it did have its moments I realize).

Do you want to know what made these games great? The 2012 storyline, with the mysterious Desmond Miles. It made us rethink about what beliefs we have of the past, and how not all perspectives are detailed accurately, and it was GREAT. It actually shook some of our convictions, and at the same time believe in something greater than ourselves, the fight for the good in this world even when the odds are stacked against you. There was Brotherhood. We loved getting to meet historical people, recreated to show us internal struggles at the time, while at the same time the major theme of the world was Assassins vs. Templars.

Wanna know what was wrong with AC3? There was no brotherhood at all, even Connor didn't truly know what the Templars stood for, he just heard the word and started swinging his axe. Even the people you recruit are not truly Assassins, they have no opinion in the fight, and they don't even wear the robes. Did anyone other than Achilles know what they actually stood for? And the Templars weren't ever really in control, they were just kind of middle men on both sides which downplayed the conflict considerably. Don't even get me started on the scenery. You go from places like Venice and beautiful Istanbul to these bland shantytowns? Outrageous. And for the 2012 story line, as bad as it was, I hope you can save yourselves with the new game. I'm too much of a TRUE Assassin's Creed fan to give up just yet.

I know it's way too late for this now, but I feel that Lucy (I honestly don't know why you didn't pay Kristen Bell, she was part of the main element of the story!) could have saved this series. Everything was leading up for her and Desmond to fall in love and fight the Templars together, and all of a sudden, at the end of the game you add a few cheesy scapegoats to show she was a Templar? Bull. That's what marked the downfall of this series. Also, what the hell was with Vidic's and Daniel Cross's executions? No dialogue? Vidic represented THE BIGGEST THREAT IN THE GAME. And Desmond doesn't even kill him himself, terrible, just terrible. I know this will never be read by any of you Ubisoft people, you don't care about pleasing the original fans, all you want is to draw in more customers to make money. Ooh, come check out our new pirate theme, Assassins! This one is sure to be adventurous, with no real relation to the past games at all, we want money! But if it does get read, I know my opinion will not matter so PLEASE just a reply email saying someone read this.. it doesn't even have to say anything. I just want to know if somehow what I have said will make a difference.

-- EziodaGreat

I actually liked the whole "Lucy was really a Templar" thing. It just added to the suspense, it pulled me more into the story. I even thought the whole thing with Desmond being sucked into the gray, or dying, not really sure what happened exactly, was well done. However, after that... they kinda just dropped the ball, storyline wise... I have complaints about other things, but i'm only going to talk about storyline here ^_^

zbarr12
02-17-2015, 05:54 AM
@EziodaGreat

I agree with what you have said. While the more recent AC games have been very fun to play, it's the lack of any sort of feeling afterwards that disappoints. I also agree with what you said abou the characters. In ACIII, connor didn't really know much about being an assassin, in Black Flag edward was never really an assassin. In unity, Arno gets kicked from the brotherhood. They've removed what made this game original and made it just like any other game where you run around killing people without cause.

I'm fairly new to this series, having just started a year ago. However, I have played all the games all the way through in order. That just goes to show you that anyone who is serious about these games wants them to continue the story.

Us gamers are assassins. We want to fight FOR the Assaassin brotherhood, for freedom, for the good of the people, not for ourselves, not for templars, not for anyone who believes in peace through power and control.

The latest 2 AC games haven't contributed to the story at all.

Eziodagreat
02-17-2015, 06:36 AM
@Zbarr

It's just disappointing that Ubisoft would do a complete 180 on what made the first four games amazing. Yes the new games are fun to play, but there is no cohesive story telling, and no relevance to the modern day. In Unity, you get so wrapped up in pointless side content (me especially since I'm a completionist) that you lose your train of thought to the actual story. And I feel that it's only going to get worse.

The idea that Assassin's Creed needs to be this vast open world, with tons of customization and "playing your way" isn't what made the first games great. The mystery and awe and an amazing philosophocal concept was what hooked me.

I just have so much to say about AC in general that I don't know how to write all my ideas on this forum without looking like an idiot. I just wish that there were more people that would discuss the game's intrinsic value, rather than pure gameplay, or bugs, or crashes and the like.

Also @Zbarr,

since you just got into the story about a year ago, I would suggest that you should go on the Assassins Creed Wiki page and look into the Project Legacy sections. It used to be a Facebook game back in 2011, and really provided some great mini stories about the AC Universe. It has some great stuff that you won't find anyone talking about, and the content is something that Ubisoft clearly put their time into.

Landruner
02-18-2015, 12:43 AM
I recall that last Summer 2014 on the "former version" of AC Initiates - Ubisoft Author/Writer Darby McDevitt (Writer of ACR and ACIVBF) replied to an user that in fact Assassin's Creed games in general do not need a story...(?) - which was surprising from an author that is supposed to deliver stories to say that.... Anyhow!?
Perhaps, Darby was just secretly involved as an author in ACU,? - which explains then the fact that it was no story at all (LOL) :rolleyes:

JustPlainQuirky
02-18-2015, 12:46 AM
Perhaps, Darby was just secretly involved as an author in ACU, ?

scrolled too fast and read "Perhaps Darby was just secretly inlove with another author in ACU?"

Ubisoft Author/Writer Darby McDevitt (Writer of ACR and ACIVBF) replied to an user that in fact Assassin's Creed games in general do not need a story...

And I doubt he said that. That's an idiotic statement. Most of Assassin's Creed's richness comes from the story.

Fatal-Feit
02-18-2015, 12:53 AM
Darby is in charge of overseeing the overarching stories of AC. That also means more than MD.

TexasCaesar
02-19-2015, 10:59 PM
You're describing the overarching narrative.

And yes, it has been neglected.

In the very least, many Ubisoft officials have heard the community's complaints and we may see a change.

You know, throughout the Ezio and Kenway trilogies I'd always complain about the game's modern-day storyline... but now I miss it.

DemonLord4lf
02-19-2015, 11:06 PM
You know, throughout the Ezio and Kenway trilogies I'd always complain about the game's modern-day storyline... but now I miss it.

You never truly appreciate something until its gone.

Hans684
02-19-2015, 11:07 PM
I've seen a lot of movies recently I consisted better than Unity, they have twist and cared for the story unlike Unity that doesn't have one. I don't even put movies over games but Unity is special... In a bad way.

phoenix-force411
02-19-2015, 11:38 PM
There's is still a lot of story, but the games just aren't releasing enough lore--or any of the interesting parts, in this case.

DemonLord4lf
02-19-2015, 11:42 PM
There's is still a lot of story, but the games just aren't releasing enough lore--or any of the interesting parts, in this case.

Nope, they're being released in the novels instead... Which is really stupid... The novels should give us background story, not the main plot that should be in the freaking game!!!

Hans684
02-19-2015, 11:52 PM

A story that does nothing is nothing.