PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft should really make a phenomenal AC game..

Defalt221
02-15-2015, 06:15 PM
Phenomenal in EVERY way.So that people forget about the greatness of EZIO days and learn to get attached to newer things. I hope Victory gets a jump in quality and features from AC Unity like the way AC2 did from AC1. Or like the way Hitman 2 did from Hitman Codename 47. It's been SO LONG since we got a really really good game.
1)Tell a much more engaging story with longer story missions.
2)Bring back that brilliant AC3 combat (It's miles better than any AC games out there IMO)
3)Improve stealth in EVERY possible way. Just blow AC Unity out of water.
4)Make a more realistic world with awe inspiring history lessons.
5)Add choices and consequences to player actions.
6)Make a fully optimized bugless+glitchless game that's without flaws.
7) IMPOSSIBLE TASK: Best the GTA in terms of open world. Unity has the greatest most believable city in a video game by the way. Make London a HUGE step forward in that direction.
8)Revolutionize AC games so that it DEFINES open world. So that every reviewer out there gives it a 10/10

Hope everyone agrees with me... Let's raise our hopes for UBISOFT.

JustPlainQuirky
02-15-2015, 06:17 PM
>Ubisoft
>Phenomenal

http://reactionface.net/reactionface/images/original/641.jpg?new=1

They already stepped out of minor inconveniences to full blown anti-consumer practices and they're not going back. And as long as that's the case they'll never achieve a true masterpiece AC game.

2)Bring back that brilliant AC3 combat (It's miles better than any AC games out there IMO)

Wat.

Goes against the concept of the animus/helix.

7) IMPOSSIBLE TASK: Best the GTA in terms of open world. Unity has the greatest most believable city in a video game by the way. Make London a HUGE step forward in that direction.
8)Revolutionize AC games so that it DEFINES open world. So that every reviewer out there gives it a 10/10

you're basically saying "make it good" without any specifics

Shahkulu101
02-15-2015, 06:20 PM
Yes, they really should.

I mean all they need to do is press a magic red button and the game makes itself.

Xstantin
02-15-2015, 06:23 PM
I forgot about the greatness of Ezio days long time ago

SixKeys
02-15-2015, 06:31 PM
Yes, they really should.

I mean all they need to do is press a magic red button and the game makes itself.

LOL this.

Fatal-Feit
02-15-2015, 06:40 PM
Gee, a phenomenal AC game, why didn't they think of that? =p

AjinkyaParuleka
02-15-2015, 06:44 PM
2 words :

Annual Releases.

GunnerGalactico
02-15-2015, 06:54 PM
greatness of EZIO days

http://i.imgur.com/NFBRRiI.gif

SpiritOfNevaeh
02-15-2015, 07:07 PM
I forgot about the greatness of Ezio days long time ago

Who is this Ezio? :rolleyes:

I forgot about Ezio right after Revelations.

Anyway, Ubisoft can still recover from this "madness," but it'll take a miracle for them to get me to buy or even preorder something from them.

Fatal-Feit
02-15-2015, 07:21 PM
Who is this Ezio? :rolleyes:

I forgot about Ezio right after Revelations.

Cunner fanboy much?

JustPlainQuirky
02-15-2015, 07:24 PM
I like AC2 Ezio and Connor equally. Yeah I said it.

SpiritOfNevaeh
02-15-2015, 07:27 PM
Cunner fanboy much?

Has nothing to do with being a Connor fanboy.

Right after I played Revelations, I took a loooooong break because I thought "omg, no more Ezio games please."

I was taking a break from AC because of IRL stuff anyway.

Then I saw AC3 advertised some time after it was released, and I was like "omg a new character."

And thats what pulled me in :)

Namikaze_17
02-15-2015, 11:17 PM
Phenomenal in EVERY way.So that people forget about the greatness of EZIO days and learn to get attached to newer things. I hope Victory gets a jump in quality and features from AC Unity like the way AC2 did from AC1. Or like the way Hitman 2 did from Hitman Codename 47. It's been SO LONG since we got a really really good game.
6)Make a fully optimized bugless+glitchless game that's without

http://media.giphy.com/media/Ne7aenG4oM1Py/giphy.gif

EDIT: Nah, I'm just messing mate.

I have hope for Victory, but not to those standards. ( At least not in a year anyway :rolleyes:)

And as I find enjoyment in AC3's combat, I really prefer ACU's route.

JustPlainQuirky
02-15-2015, 11:20 PM
Gee, a phenomenal AC game, why didn't they think of that? =p

Should pitch this to Ubi

Megas_Doux
02-15-2015, 11:38 PM
2 words :

Annual Releases.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With this current model they basically have to chose either to revamp the core mechanics or enhance the open world......And let´s not talk about the story.

Oh and GTA has THE sheerest and rawest fun in modern world gaming because you can do whatever you want under any given circumstance. There are airplanes, cars and TONS of other vehicles that you can drive, crash and even blow with, again, TONS of weapons and gadgets. All of those things that just DO NOT exist in, I don´t know, XVIII century Paris and/or XII century Holy Land. You can say "but look ay Skyrim´s dragons and The witcher´s beasts"...Again, there ain't no such thing in a "realistic world".....

So you cannot expect Arno/Altair to pick up a machine gun and grenades to go rampage or Connor hunting a dragon. Plus GTA´s protagonists are criminals and even though Assassins are not the exactly nuns, their moral code is a little bit less "frantic" than Tommy Vercetti and CJ, for instance.

Conclusion: To me all those that want AC to be GTA on "historical times" are not only asking for the impossible with the exception of the rather specific case of AC IV, but also ruining the franchise......

I´m looking at you, Angry joe and Total Biscuit :p

DemonLord4lf
02-16-2015, 12:03 AM
http://memecrunch.com/meme/6VQW3/for-phenomenal-gameplay/image.jpg?w=400&c=1

Defalt221
02-16-2015, 12:56 PM
>Ubisoft
>Phenomenal

you're basically saying "make it good" without any specifics

I mean they should make a completely flawless game like GTA V. Every game has flaws. But every AC games had at least one large noticeable flaw that gave it a bad rep.

BananaBlighter
02-16-2015, 01:10 PM
I agree with lot on that list, however:
1) Don't make combat too easy again, keep it hard but add those awesome animations they had in AC3 and double counter kills.
2) Choices with consequences would be epic but as mentioned it goes against the idea of the animus.

I can't think of many ways to improve stealth, but one think that could be added is the idea of using shadows and hiding under beds/tables. I've had many times where the enemy can't see me but my shadow is clearly in his line of sight, and he should really notice it. Or the other way, in which you are less likely to be spotted if you are in shadows and I think this is something they have done before with things like Splinter Cell. The whole bugs and glitches thing should be fixed by AC Victory so they can work on the map and story, which is good. I'm also really looking forward to this game because London has serious potential for an awesome open world. It can become something a bit more like GTA's with the whole train thing being added. If we can takeover carriages and trains, divert them or stop them it could be cool in an open world (Just imagine that mission to kill Bulmer in the leaked pics, where you drive in on your hijacked train, walk out in the crowd of passengers up to him and kill him!). If the trains don't have full interiors (ordering tea in first class) and aren't controllable I will be very angry!!! Not like the naval combat in AC4 (which btw was epic) but maybe also being able to takeover boats and sail them along the Thames, along with more in depth sewers, would be awesome! OMG were there cars around at this time (1880s) even if they were super primitive? You don't know how many carriage races I'm gonna be havin' in coop! #Thomasthetankengine

Altair1789
02-16-2015, 09:28 PM
I mean they should make a completely flawless game like GTA V. Every game has flaws. But every AC games had at least one large noticeable flaw that gave it a bad rep.

The thing is, some people will absolutely hate your the game you're asking for. I like parts of your list, but not everyone shares the same opinions, so it wouldn't be that easy to just "make a phenomenal game". GTA may be flawless to you, but to some others, including me, it's a terrible game. I dislike the series in general. Different people have different opinions

StormsAndSaints
02-16-2015, 10:56 PM
When they get rid of the HORRIBLE - http://memecrunch.com/meme/1PRD3/microtransactions/image.jpg

SixKeys
02-16-2015, 11:02 PM

First you say GTA V was a flawless game, then you say "every game has flaws". You're being very vague about what you think makes a flawless game and why you think it's easy to just fart something like that into existence. Do you think Ubi devs are purposefully sitting around thinking "Hmmm, we have all the ingredients to make a perfect game that absolutely no-one will dislike, but naaaahhh, let's not do that, let's make something crap instead"?

Bleem7
02-16-2015, 11:18 PM
Well that's bias I guess.

But to be honest, I think that Ubi might be too dependant on their fans. I'm not saying you shouldn't listen to other people, it's just that, as said, everyone has their own personal tastes. They should have their own idea of a phenomenal game, they're the creators for god's sake.

StormsAndSaints
02-16-2015, 11:24 PM

But to be honest, I think that Ubi might be too dependant on their fans. I'm not saying you shouldn't listen to other people, it's just that, as said, everyone has their own personal tastes. They should have their own idea of a phenomenal game, they're the creators for god's sake.

Agreed.

DemonLord4lf
02-16-2015, 11:44 PM

What they should do is listen to the fans, but dont implement everything the fans ask for. Listen to what they're asking for and see what works with their ideas for the game. Its still their game their making. You dont see musicians changing their style because a few fans asked them to. They are who they are. Ubisoft should do that too. Listen to the fans, but dont bend over backwards for them. Find a way to use their ideas without losing the core of the game you are trying to develop.

Edit: i give up... i cant seem to fix the quote...

Bleem7
02-16-2015, 11:49 PM
YES, exactly my point, mate!! :D

Assassin_M
02-17-2015, 12:05 AM
People don't know what's "good" until they see it.

SixKeys
02-17-2015, 02:01 AM
What they should do is listen to the fans, but dont implement everything the fans ask for. Listen to what they're asking for and see what works with their ideas for the game. Its still their game their making. You dont see musicians changing their style because a few fans asked them to. They are who they are. Ubisoft should do that too. Listen to the fans, but dont bend over backwards for them. Find a way to use their ideas without losing the core of the game you are trying to develop.

They did that with Unity. Unity had a million things that were direct answers to things fans had been requesting for years.

Crouch? Check.
Cover system? Check.
Improved stealth? Check.
Open mission design? Check.
Harder combat? Check.
Improved parkour? Check.
Better customization? Check.
Better sound design? Check.
Random events? Check.
NPCs interacting with each other and the world? Check.
Weapon stats? Check.
Less Gump factor, more personal story? Check.
Assassin brotherhood a "proper" order instead of just a bunch of hobos? Check.
French Revolution? Check.
Tons of meaningful side content? Check.
Glyphs and puzzles? Check.
No overly convoluted modern day narrative? Check.
Co-op? Check.
Being able to remove all HUD elements, including blending effects and guard outlines? Check.
No more rooftop guards? Check.
etc.

All things I've seen requested over and over again on these forums and elsewhere for YEARS.

What was the fan response?

"Unity is the WORST AC ever!!! Why can't they listen to fans and make the game we all really want??"

JustPlainQuirky
02-17-2015, 02:06 AM
They did that with Unity. Unity had a million things that were direct answers to things fans had been requesting for years.

Crouch? Check.
Cover system? Check.
Improved stealth? Check.
Harder combat? Check.
Improved parkour? Check.
Random events? Check.
Weapon stats? Check.
Co-op? Check.
Being able to remove all HUD elements, including blending effects and guard outlines? Check.
etc.

All things I've seen requested over and over again on these forums and elsewhere for YEARS.

"Unity is the WORST AC ever!!! Why can't they listen to fans and make the game we all really want??"

Unity is definitely the strongest AC in terms of land-gameplay. The presentation is pretty solid too.

However the glitches, lackluster story, transmedia, and collectible-infested overworld kind of undermined that sadly.

Tons? Yes. Meaningful? Heeeeell no.

Minimizing it to near non-existence is not the proper solution.

Jexx21
02-17-2015, 02:07 AM
i haven't played unity yet but it sucks and should die in a fire

SixKeys
02-17-2015, 02:24 AM
Unity is definitely the strongest AC in terms of land-gameplay. The presentation is pretty solid too.

However the glitches, lackluster story, transmedia, and collectible-infested overworld kind of undermined that sadly.

No argument here. The game was released before it was finished and the walling-off of content is inexcusable. Purely from a gameplay and design standpoint however, the game addresses almost every major fan complaint of the past several years.

Tons? Yes. Meaningful? Heeeeell no.

I would say it's meaningful. Arno actually talks to the people he's helping, asking stuff like "what's in it for me?" or "fear not, I will find the killer". In all the other ACs the hero just walks over to a random person on the street who complains about something menial, and the hero simply takes off without a word to fix that for them. It's more meaningful for Arno to be helping people who are suffering than to beat up cheating husbands or deliver letters that hold no personal significance. Even the rewards you get are better than in the past. The economy system is finally more balanced, so you don't just get money for everything, you get customization items, which in turn boost your character stats.

Minimizing it to near non-existence is not the proper solution.

Depends on which fan you ask. Many people think MD should never have existed in the first place and what little we have now should be completely removed. I disagree with them, but I won't deny it's been one of the most prominent complaints outside of these forums since pretty much the beginning. The people who wanted Desmond gone was the majority, sorry to say.

Jexx21
02-17-2015, 02:30 AM
do you ever wonder what life would be like if we didn't have noses

JustPlainQuirky
02-17-2015, 02:32 AM
I would say it's meaningful. Arno actually talks to the people he's helping, asking stuff like "what's in it for me?" or "fear not, I will find the killer". In all the other ACs the hero just walks over to a random person on the street who complains about something menial, and the hero simply takes off without a word to fix that for them. It's more meaningful for Arno to be helping people who are suffering than to beat up cheating husbands or deliver letters that hold no personal significance. Even the rewards you get are better than in the past. The economy system is finally more balanced, so you don't just get money for everything, you get customization items, which in turn boost your character stats.

Most AC games have a tendency to have overblown excessive content and Unity is the main criminal. Gameplay-wise, the assassin missions were fun but story and context were kept at a minimum unlike for example homestead missions in ac3. The murder mysteries were probably the most fun but the NPCs are just lifeless standing there. I was so underwhelmed when I found Charolette Corday and she was just some bloke on the street with barely a line of dialogue. Felt like wasted potential, really. I'd like Ubi to go the L.A. Noire route but that would mean investing lots of developers in small side content so I can see why they wouldnt be bothered. The helix data collecting is just an excuse for parkour. Whether its fun depends on the person but i found it stale as hell. Same with notradamus enigmas. Tho enigmas were just too cryptic/difficult. At least for me. Could have used a hint system.

And dont get me started on the collectibles. Jesus christ. Too many. TOO MANY.

Ubi should have focused on the assassin missions and murder mysteries. Just make them have more context and better presentation and would have been a lot more solid IMO.

Depends on which fan you ask. Many people think MD should never have existed in the first place and what little we have now should be completely removed. I disagree with them, but I won't deny it's been one of the most prominent complaints outside of these forums since pretty much the beginning. The people who wanted Desmond gone was the majority, sorry to say.

This is true.

I'd say to make the MD optional, but I doubt Ubi would put effort into something most players would (sadly) skip.

Namikaze_17
02-17-2015, 02:34 AM
i haven't played unity yet but it sucks and should die in a fire

I fell from my seat laughing at this. XD

Xstantin
02-17-2015, 02:38 AM
I'd say to make the MD optional, but I doubt Ubi would put effort into something most players would (sadly) skip.

Initiates :rolleyes:

JustPlainQuirky
02-17-2015, 02:40 AM

I meant modern day that isnt complete garbage.

Xstantin
02-17-2015, 02:44 AM
I meant modern day that isnt complete garbage.

Don't wanna sound pessimistic but I highly doubt it'll get better

Namikaze_17
02-17-2015, 02:45 AM

"We shall not manipulate our Initiates with lies and parlor tricks. We shall speak plainly and honestly." - Altaïr

JustPlainQuirky
02-17-2015, 02:45 AM
Don't wanna sound pessimistic but I highly doubt it'll get better

That kind of mentality is the only reason I'm still with AC.

That and the shred of hope the higher ups will at least pretend to care once they see their precious money machine is running low.

DemonLord4lf
02-17-2015, 02:47 AM

Crouch? Check.
Cover system? Check.
Improved stealth? Check.
Harder combat? Check.
Improved parkour? Check.
Random events? Check.
Weapon stats? Check.
Co-op? Check.
etc.

Swing and a miss....

You completely missed what i was trying to say... You have stated that they have done everything the fans have asked for. I'm saying they shouldn't give us everything. Just listen to what we ask for, but see if it works with their idea for the game. It's their game, it's their idea, not ours. They should have the full creativity in it. They just need to see what the fans think and try to implement it if it'll work in the game they've envisioned. What you've stated is that they have just caved into the fan's demands and we got Unity out of that.

They shouldn't do everything the fans ask for. If they do that, then they'll be alienating other fans that feel differently about the idea and the game they envisioned is completely gone. Let's hope they don't let the fans run over them with Victory. I want to see what kind of game the developers have in mind, not what the fans of the series want it to be.

Xstantin
02-17-2015, 02:50 AM
That kind of mentality is the only reason I'm still with AC.

That and the shred of hope the higher ups will at least pretend to care once they see their precious money machine is running low.

I'm actually waiting for the news about Patrice Desilets' project. It might shake up things a bit. Maybe I'm delusional.

It's their game, it's their idea, not ours. They should have the full creativity in it. They just need to see what the fans think and try to implement it if it'll work in the game they've envisioned. What you've stated is that they have just caved into the fan's demands and we got Unity out of that.

Seriously though, AAA games are never about wonderful flight of delightful creativity. Too many things to consider

JustPlainQuirky
02-17-2015, 02:53 AM
I'm actually waiting for the news about Patrice Desilets' project. It might shake up things a bit. Maybe I'm delusional.

I want it to compete with Assassin's Creed in the sense that it lacks anti-consumer nonsense and fans love it.

That way it pressures higher ups to cave and change some of their questionable practices.

but hey, im an idiot so that probably isnt how it works

Xstantin
02-17-2015, 02:55 AM
^same here

DemonLord4lf
02-17-2015, 02:56 AM
Seriously though, AAA games are never about wonderful flight of delightful creativity. Too many things to consider

Thats the sad truth of it all...

SixKeys
02-17-2015, 02:58 AM
Most AC games have a tendency to have overblown excessive content and Unity is the main criminal. Gameplay-wise, the assassin missions were fun but story and context were kept at a minimum unlike for example homestead missions in ac3. The murder mysteries were probably the most fun but the NPCs are just lifeless standing there.

I find it ironic you would praise the Homestead missions while complaining about Unity NPCs being "lifeless just standing there". The Homestead missions were characterized by "lifelessly standing around". One of the side activities literally required you to stand still with Eagle Vision turned on and watch people go in and out of houses all day long.

Anyway, for me, gameplay is king. I will take a hundred missions that barely have any story connection as long as they're fun to play. Unity's missions send you to do actual assassinating and approach is always free. The Homestead missions simply weren't fun. They were linear and cringe-worthy to listen to. Unity's voice-acting was pretty good IMO and the NPCs actually did properly gesture sometimes, like waving their arms in the direction they wanted you to go instead of just standing there scratching their arses.

I was so underwhelmed when I found Charolette Corday and she was just some bloke on the street with barely a line of dialogue. Felt like wasted potential, really.

I have to agree on that particular missions. Then again, maybe it was underwhelming because most (?) players already know who killed Marat, so there was no mystery. Heck, even when you question her, she basically admits it right off the bat. I would have preferred to see her as a more important character, but alas.

I'd like Ubi to go the L.A. Noire route but that would mean investing lots of developers in small side content so I can see why they wouldnt be bothered. The helix data collecting is just an excuse for parkour.

I see nothing wrong with that. The Ezio games had races with much flimsier excuses. "Oh, great mentor! Please demonstrate your excellent parkour skills to a lowly thief like me!" You always had to go through the same checkpoints too, unlike for example AC1's flag collecting races where you were free to start from wherever, as long as you finished the objective. I think the Rifts are a brilliant replacement for the traditional races. I keep replaying them for no other reason than I enjoy them.

Whether its fun depends on the person but i found it stale as hell. Same with notradamus enigmas. Tho enigmas were just too cryptic/difficult. At least for me. Could have used a hint system.

Did you ever do the glyphs in AC2/ACB? They had a hint system, but it was extremely vague at best. "Hmm, I'm not entirely sure, but I think this puzzle has something to do with numbers!" Wow, thanks, Shaun, that's super helpful. :rolleyes: There's really not much difference there apart from Subject 16 being an intriguing reason to chip away at the Truth.

In any case, the way in which the puzzles possibly should have been done isn't the point. The point is people wanted puzzles back and they wanted them to be more difficult after the infantilizing "match the colors" in AC4. We got challenging puzzles again, but people still complain. The devs simply can't win.

And dont get me started on the collectibles. Jesus christ. Too many. TOO MANY.

True, but the rewards were better. In past games, you basically got maybe a new weapon for collecting 100 collectibles. In ACU, you get a new color scheme, legacy skins and customization pieces. It's not perfect, but if you're a completionist, at least you get proper rewards this time.

JustPlainQuirky
02-17-2015, 03:07 AM
off-topic but for the love of god demonlord pls use this icon. it is actually transparent:

http://i.imgur.com/uFe85o3.png

also i think u called me "him" once and for the record im a lass.

just for future reference, mate.

I find it ironic you would praise the Homestead missions while complaining about Unity NPCs being "lifeless just standing there". The Homestead missions were characterized by "lifelessly standing around". One of the side activities literally required you to stand still with Eagle Vision turned on and watch people go in and out of houses all day long.

Anyway, for me, gameplay is king. I will take a hundred missions that barely have any story connection as long as they're fun to play. Unity's missions send you to do actual assassinating and approach is always free. The Homestead missions simply weren't fun. They were linear and cringe-worthy to listen to. Unity's voice-acting was pretty good IMO and the NPCs actually did properly gesture sometimes, like waving their arms in the direction they wanted you to go instead of just standing there scratching their arses.

I am mainly referring to the cutscenes. Those are non-existent in Unity's side missions and IMO play a big role in AC's character development.

And I understand your gameplay priorities. When I played AC, my first game was AC3 and i found the parkour too automatic and combat waaay to boring/easy. But what kept me going was the narrative and the rich world created. I was too invested to quit. But alas, different fans have different priorities.

I see nothing wrong with that. The Ezio games had races with much flimsier excuses. "Oh, great mentor! Please demonstrate your excellent parkour skills to a lowly thief like me!" You always had to go through the same checkpoints too, unlike for example AC1's flag collecting races where you were free to start from wherever, as long as you finished the objective. I think the Rifts are a brilliant replacement for the traditional races. I keep replaying them for no other reason than I enjoy them.

I haven't played the Ezio side missions so I wouldnt know. I hear brotherhood has the best side missions out of all the AC games so i might try that one out once I get a PC.

I dislike rifts mainly because there's no story context to them. I dont like being reminded im some bloke playing as arno. I like to think i AM arno. it's immersion breaking to me.

Did you ever do the glyphs in AC2/ACB? They had a hint system, but it was extremely vague at best. "Hmm, I'm not entirely sure, but I think this puzzle has something to do with numbers!" Wow, thanks, Shaun, that's super helpful. There's really not much difference there apart from Subject 16 being an intriguing reason to chip away at the Truth.

In any case, the way in which the puzzles possibly should have been done isn't the point. The point is people wanted puzzles back and they wanted them to be more difficult after the infantilizing "match the colors" in AC4. We got challenging puzzles again, but people still complain. The devs simply can't win.

Never understood the love for the glyphs tbh. I love puzzles but dislike the way AC2 did it. And I dislike the means of learning lore behind it. I prefer lore through gameplay such as Jaques de Molay missions.

but if majority wants it by all means. better to have something in I dont care about than something i love taken out

True, but the rewards were better. In past games, you basically got maybe a new weapon for collecting 100 collectibles. In ACU, you get a new color scheme, legacy skins and customization pieces. It's not perfect, but if you're a completionist, at least you get proper rewards this time.

if you collected like 100 cockades you get like, 4 colors out of 4938039850 colors. And it's stupid. why does collecting random cockades get me colored outfits? the chalices in ac3 and feathers in ac2 at least made sense.

SixKeys
02-17-2015, 03:08 AM
Swing and a miss....

You completely missed what i was trying to say... You have stated that they have done everything the fans have asked for. I'm saying they shouldn't give us everything. Just listen to what we ask for, but see if it works with their idea for the game. It's their game, it's their idea, not ours. They should have the full creativity in it. They just need to see what the fans think and try to implement it if it'll work in the game they've envisioned. What you've stated is that they have just caved into the fan's demands and we got Unity out of that.

They shouldn't do everything the fans ask for. If they do that, then they'll be alienating other fans that feel differently about the idea and the game they envisioned is completely gone. Let's hope they don't let the fans run over them with Victory. I want to see what kind of game the developers have in mind, not what the fans of the series want it to be.

BUT THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT THEY DID.

From the beginning, the devs made clear they wanted to bring the series back to its roots. Make you a stealthy assassin again, blade in the crowd, proper challenge, revamp everything. Those are bold creative choices after AC4 was so well-received for basically being the opposite of all that. They listened to fans, but also trimmed a lot of fat that wasn't working for their vision. No more factions, no more ships, no recruits, no rope darts, no hunting etc. They took out a lot of popular features because those features would have clashed with their vision. And they got reamed for it. "OMG where's the whistle feature?? OMG why is combat so hard all of a sudden?? OMG why can't I hide 10,000 bodies in this haystack anymore and make the stealth easier??"

It's damned if you do, damned if you don't. If they listen to fans and give them exactly what they want, they get shouted at. If they don't listen to fans and focus on their own creative vision, they get shouted at.

JustPlainQuirky
02-17-2015, 03:11 AM
It's damned if you do, damned if you don't. If they listen to fans and give them exactly what they want, they get shouted at. If they don't listen to fans and focus on their own creative vision, they get shouted at.

To be fair, MOST of Unity's backlash was a result of how broken the game is. Not the story and actual content within it. I know because I stalk articles of Unity just to remind people how crap the story is in hopes it'll rile people up. Yeah I'm a horrible person.

But basically what I'm getting at is yeah most people dislike the story and some design decisions but what Ubi is primarily being yelled at for (from a majority standpoint) is the broken mess the game launched as and that is entirely their own fault.

SixKeys
02-17-2015, 03:17 AM
To be fair, MOST of Unity's backlash was a result of how broken the game is. Not the story and actual content within it. I know because I stalk articles of Unity just to remind people how crap the story is in hopes it'll rile people up. Yeah I'm a horrible person.

But basically what I'm getting at is yeah most people dislike the story and some design decisions but what Ubi is primarily being yelled at for (from a majority standpoint) is the broken mess the game launched as and that is entirely their own fault.

True, but I think in the process of complaining about all the technical issues (which is totally understandable), people tend to overlook the good qualities. It's unfortunate that the launch was so messy because it left everyone with the impression that everything about the game is broken or badly designed, while ignoring that some things were deliberately designed to make the game more challenging than previous entries. Due to the amount of bugs, players may think the AI is flawed even though upon closer inspection the AI's reactions may be perfectly logical. They just assume that because they get detected more often than they used to, that means the game is broken, when in fact it may just be that the player needs to become more careful. There's a lot of unwillingness to adapt and I think some of it gets unfairly pinned on the bugs. (Obviously that's excluding all the Initiates/app crap which was always a bad idea and remains broken to this day.)

DemonLord4lf
02-17-2015, 03:19 AM
BUT THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT THEY DID.

From the beginning, the devs made clear they wanted to bring the series back to its roots. Make you a stealthy assassin again, blade in the crowd, proper challenge, revamp everything. Those are bold creative choices after AC4 was so well-received for basically being the opposite of all that. They listened to fans, but also trimmed a lot of fat that wasn't working for their vision. No more factions, no more ships, no recruits, no rope darts, no hunting etc. They took out a lot of popular features because those features would have clashed with their vision. And they got reamed for it. "OMG where's the whistle feature?? OMG why is combat so hard all of a sudden?? OMG why can't I hide 10,000 bodies in this haystack anymore and make the stealth easier??"

It doesn't feel that way to me... it feels like they caved in on the combat and stealth. I agree combat and stealth needed to be improved, but they changed it to be way too complicated. This isn't a fighting game, I don't want to feel like i'm playing mortal kombat where I have to be spot on with my button presses. Maybe take a few cues from the Batman Arkham combat system. Its hard, not all that complicated, until you get to the fancy moves, and it still makes you feel like an amazing fighter.

I have played games such as Thief, and the stealth in those games is amazing. Not so much in AC Unity. The only time i felt that stealth really worked was in AC Liberation. The ability to disguise yourself was amazing. It felt like I was back in the first AC, hiding in plain sight. What did they give us in AC Unity? The MP disguise function which doesn't last long enough for it to be useful...

But what do I know....

I'm only insane

http://image.blingee.com/images18/content/output/000/000/000/6d8/657727921_2055178.gif?4

JustPlainQuirky
02-17-2015, 03:22 AM
@sixkeys

To quote Ben Yahtzee Crowshaw "it pranced into the room, tripped on the cat, and smashed the aquarium with its head. It's not gonna mend the evening by shakily getting up and showing us its collection of football stickers"

Basically Unity's screw up was a massive insult to a good chunk of the gaming community and so Ubisoft aren't going to get compliments in areas they didn't screw up on anytime soon.

Jexx21
02-17-2015, 03:28 AM
yahtzee is dumb

SixKeys
02-17-2015, 03:30 AM
@sixkeys

To quote Ben Yahtzee Crowshaw "it pranced into the room, tripped on the cat, and smashed the aquarium with its head. It's not gonna mend the evening by shakily getting up and showing us its collection of football stickers"

Basically Unity's screw up was a massive insult to a good chunk of the gaming community and so Ubisoft aren't going to get compliments in areas they didn't screw up on anytime soon.

Right, but since this is Ubisoft we're talking about, I doubt they're going to learn the right lessons from the experience. They're not going to look at Unity and say "okay, we definitely screwed up on the launch and app integration stuff, but there are some good ideas here that we can work with". They're gonna go: "PANIC!! Scrap everything and bring back courtesans, Ezio, explosions, and Black Flag 2: The Creedening!"

Jexx21
02-17-2015, 03:32 AM
who else like pot pies

JustPlainQuirky
02-17-2015, 03:35 AM
Right, but since this is Ubisoft we're talking about, I doubt they're going to learn the right lessons from the experience. They're not going to look at Unity and say "okay, we definitely screwed up on the launch and app integration stuff, but there are some good ideas here that we can work with". They're gonna go: "PANIC!! Scrap everything and bring back courtesans, Ezio, explosions, and Black Flag 2: The Creedening!"

They tried bringing back the Ezio essence with Arno and it failed. Even if members here don't interpret him as an Ezio 2.0, its painfully obvious the developers tried to make him have the same aura. And the Ezio theme is everywhere. So the resort to Ezio is def already there.

I honestly can't say if Ubisoft 'learned' from Unity. As the overwhelming hate came from the broken release and not the actual content. So if Victory has the same issues with microtransactions, transmedia, excessive collectibles, etc I wouldnt know if its because ubi didnt care or there wasnt enough demand for actual content revisions.

that being said I will not buy victory if it has what i listed above

Black Flag 2: The Creedening!

pffffft lmfao

Assassin_M
02-17-2015, 03:54 AM
They tried bringing back the Ezio essence with Arno
Arno's not badly written, though.

JustPlainQuirky
02-17-2015, 03:57 AM
Arno's not badly written, though.

I would say less badly written and more on the side of unoriginal/non-compelling.

But that's besides the point and an entirely different debate.

Fact of the matter is Ubi has been showing signs of trying to use the Ezio aura to attract audiences.

Jexx21
02-17-2015, 04:01 AM
connor's a badly written ******baguette

Assassin_M
02-17-2015, 04:01 AM
I would say less badly written and more on the side of unoriginal/non-compelling.
Ehhhhh okay. He's consistent, at least.

Fact of the matter is Ubi has been showing signs of trying to use the Ezio aura to attract audiences.
You're lying. Unless a Ubisoft developer rightly comes out on social media and says that their character is more similar to Ezio, then you're L.Y.I.N.G. They don't use buzzwords such as "charismatic" or or "witty".

Jexx21
02-17-2015, 04:03 AM
ezio was a sex goddess

JustPlainQuirky
02-17-2015, 04:04 AM
You're lying. Unless a Ubisoft developer rightly comes out on social media and says that their character is more similar to Ezio, then you're L.Y.I.N.G. They don't use buzzwords such as "charismatic" or or "witty".

I wasn't saying characterization wise Arno equates to Ezio. Nor did i specify those traits. Most importantly, that's not what I meant by aura. Was referring to AC in general, not exclusively Arno. Soundtracks for example arent "charismatic" but the Ezio theme has been implemented into recent themes even when they arguably dont fit.

Assassin_M
02-17-2015, 04:10 AM
I wasn't saying characterization wise Arno equates to Ezio. Nor did i specify those traits. Most importantly, that's not what I meant by aura. Was referring to AC in general, not exclusively Arno. Soundtracks for example arent "charismatic" but the Ezio theme has been implemented into recent themes even when they arguably dont fit.
I was being sarcastic, i'm agreeing with you.

JustPlainQuirky
02-17-2015, 04:11 AM
I was being sarcastic, i'm agreeing with you.

ah sorry. i have hard time telling without emotes

DemonLord4lf
02-17-2015, 04:15 AM
The reason for the Ezio emulation is because that was their biggest hit. Tons of people loved Ezio. Not everyone, but far more then any other character. They're trying to go back to what worked and failing at it...

Landruner
02-18-2015, 01:06 AM
6)Make a fully optimized bugless+glitchless game that's without flaws.

Alas Ubisoft is much busier in trying to make extra bucks for that franchise, and really busy in ruining the experience of their fans or customers.
Busy are working with buggy companion apps that won't lo-gin on your Uplay account - busy to include in the games the forever alpha flash based AC/Initiates that is always down (no matter what) - Really busy at implanting Micro transaction that will tease you by extra locked in game contents strategy and finally will convince you to play less and pay more.
and finally busy at making marketing Promotion business partnership with ULCs, and some other stuff that they plan to do for the next one next fall. In the middle of that it will be a game or sort of....and the marketing Hype that takes millions on the game budget to produce..

Unity is not a bad game, but Ubisoft just ruined it....

TexasCaesar
02-19-2015, 10:46 PM
I'm always white-knighting for Ubisoft (they're my favorite company), and I'm still excited for new AC games, but I can't help but worry about them now. I don't think that annualizing the franchise is a problem; AC3 and AC4 were both delights. However, two games in one year, and the latter of the two so lackluster?

If they're to make a phenomenal game, it needs to have lots of side-activities and a full plot. Unity really didn't have anything to do besides Murder Mysteries (many of which weren't that great themselves), and it's plot was about half as long as that of Black Flag! Ubisoft may claim that producing Rogue didn't take resources away from Unity, but I don't believe it.

DemonLord4lf
02-19-2015, 10:48 PM
I'm always white-knighting for Ubisoft (they're my favorite company), and I'm still excited for new AC games, but I can't help but worry about them now. I don't think that annualizing the franchise is a problem; AC3 and AC4 were both delights. However, two games in one year, and the latter of the two so lackluster?

If they're to make a phenomenal game, it needs to have lots of side-activities and a full plot. Unity really didn't have anything to do besides Murder Mysteries (many of which weren't that great themselves), and it's plot was about half as long as that of Black Flag! Ubisoft may claim that producing Rogue didn't take resources away from Unity, but I don't believe it.

Agreed. I truly believe they got too ambitious with AC Rogue and AC Unity being released at the same time.