PDA

View Full Version : The current state of affairs with Assassin's Creed.

mustangmaniak20
02-14-2015, 11:34 PM
In a nutshell:
http://rs2img.memecdn.com/ubisoft-is-literally-milking-the-assassin-amp-039-s-creed-series_o_2978887.jpg

Go ahead, delete this thread. It will only reaffirm what is blatantly obvious. Meanwhile Ubisoft will continue to pile in the dough from semi-satisfied suckers who are ready to buy every next intsallation, hoping that IT HAS TO BE BETTER THIS TIME AROUND! Like a crakhead keeps coming back to his dealer. Keep on hustling Ubisoft...

Hans684
02-14-2015, 11:36 PM
You havn't been in the forums in while, have you? You'd love how right you are.

RADAR__4077
02-14-2015, 11:56 PM
In a nutshell:
http://rs2img.memecdn.com/ubisoft-is-literally-milking-the-assassin-amp-039-s-creed-series_o_2978887.jpg

Go ahead, delete this thread. It will only reaffirm what is blatantly obvious. Meanwhile Ubisoft will continue to pile in the dough from semi-satisfied suckers who are ready to buy every next intsallation, hoping that IT HAS TO BE BETTER THIS TIME AROUND! Like a crakhead keeps coming back to his dealer. Keep on hustling Ubisoft...

Which is why I'm getting off this crazy train. I'm sticking around for news so I can get the most of the money I have already spent.

I have said before Ubisoft is not getting another penny from me until they earn my respect again, which will take time, respect for the customer, and quality products.

AC got put in the stall next to COD after AC III.

Namikaze_17
02-15-2015, 02:17 AM
*Sees post and Sig*

https://uproxx.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/grandpa-simpson-gif.gif

Jackdaw951
02-15-2015, 07:58 AM
*Sees post and Sig*

Bahahaha! :D

/thread

The_Kiwi_
02-15-2015, 08:47 AM
*Sees post and Sig*

Ezio Casuals :rolleyes:

DemonLord4lf
02-15-2015, 09:08 AM
They should just add Deadpool, because:

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/59197351.jpg

The_Kiwi_
02-15-2015, 09:26 AM
I hate Deadpool

DemonLord4lf
02-15-2015, 09:29 AM
http://m.memegen.com/ge1hun.jpg

Locopells
02-15-2015, 12:25 PM
Ahem. Topic please, or I will have to close this...

SixKeys
02-15-2015, 12:29 PM
Well, Deadpool is an assassin. Sort of. Mercenary, really. But mercenaries were in AC2, so it's clearly on-topic. That's my logic and I'm sticking to it. :cool:

DemonLord4lf
02-15-2015, 12:30 PM
And i did state that i believe they should put Deadpool into the game because....

Well because he's Deadpool.

JustPlainQuirky
02-15-2015, 05:33 PM
I hate the idea of AC "milking the franchise."

I feel we've gotten to the point that we KNOW AC isn't one of those franchises that just ENDS. It's like Zelda. Separate series of stories but they're all connected in some way and what makes each installment unique is the experimental gameplay they develop for it.

It kind of annoys me when people are like "when is it going to end?"

That's not how it works in AC. There can be ends to ARCS but not the whole concept.

Though that doesn't mean methods such as annualization aren't damaging to the franchise. They are and we have proof of that.

There is def a problem with higher ups maintaining quality control but the continuation of AC itself is not an inherent flaw.

GoldenBoy9999
02-15-2015, 05:35 PM
Well, Deadpool is an assassin. Sort of. Mercenary, really. But mercenaries were in AC2, so it's clearly on-topic. That's my logic and I'm sticking to it. :cool:

Yeah, that's perfectly reasonable. Maybe an Easter egg or a Deadpool skin?

I really hope they put Deadpool in because he makes everything better. Deadpool is my 2nd favorite super hero. :cool:

Fatal-Feit
02-15-2015, 05:54 PM
That's some delicious milk.

SixKeys
02-15-2015, 06:00 PM
I hate the idea of AC "milking the franchise."

I feel we've gotten to the point that we KNOW AC isn't one of those franchises that just ENDS. It's like Zelda. Separate series of stories but they're all connected in some way and what makes each installment unique is the experimental gameplay they develop for it.

It kind of annoys me when people are like "when is it going to end?"

That's not how it works in AC. There can be ends to ARCS but not the whole concept.

Though that doesn't mean methods such as annualization aren't damaging to the franchise. They are and we have proof of that.

There is def a problem with higher ups maintaining quality control but the continuation of AC itself is not an inherent flaw.

I'm fine with the idea of AC being a neverending saga. But annual releases are slowly killing it. Even Zelda games take a few years between releases to keep anticipation going and they've been pretty good about not repeating themselves (apart from basic returning elements). Like if you look at Wind Waker vs. Majora's Mask, two totally different games. Or even Majora vs. Ocarina of Time, which use the same graphics and engine yet are totally different in terms of mechanics. AC4 is probably the most subversive the AC franchise has been since the very beginning, and even that one is 50% traditional Assassin's Creed stalking-fighting-climbing-towers fare.

JustPlainQuirky
02-15-2015, 06:03 PM
I'm fine with the idea of AC being a neverending saga. But annual releases are slowly killing it. Even Zelda games take a few years between releases to keep anticipation going and they've been pretty good about not repeating themselves (apart from basic returning elements). Like if you look at Wind Waker vs. Majora's Mask, two totally different games. Or even Majora vs. Ocarina of Time, which use the same graphics and engine yet are totally different in terms of mechanics. AC4 is probably the most subversive the AC franchise has been since the very beginning, and even that one is 50% traditional Assassin's Creed stalking-fighting-climbing-towers fare.

Very, VERY true point.

Though to be fair Majora's Mask had 1.5 years of development time and was created soley to recycle assets from OOT to make a profit. (it is still my favorite zelda game of all time tho. Im playing the 3ds version right now)

But yeah skyward sword took 6 years of development time and there is no game on the market even similar to it. It's amazing.

Assassin's Creed definitely lacks that soul/passion.

Fatal-Feit
02-15-2015, 06:16 PM
It's not soul or passion that AC lacks, it's creative freedom. The developers are on a strict deadline, reusing assets are prioritized, sometimes features are ripped during development and used on another IP, etc, etc. The developers don't own the franchise. They work with what they have, what they can, and quite frankly, it's not easy when it comes to a large franchise like AC. Reading articles, watching interviews, and listening to the actors/writers/developers on podcast, AC definitely does not lack heart, IMO. TBH, I feel insulted for them whenever someone says that.

JustPlainQuirky
02-15-2015, 06:25 PM
It's not soul or passion that AC lacks, it's creative freedom. The developers are on a strict deadline, reusing assets are prioritized, sometimes features are ripped during development and used on another IP, etc, etc. The developers don't own the franchise. They work with what they have, what they can, and quite frankly, it's not easy when it comes to a large franchise like AC. Reading articles, watching interviews, and listening to the actors/writers/developers on podcast, AC definitely does not lack heart, IMO. TBH, I feel insulted for them whenever someone says that.

when I say lacks heart I am referring to the higher ups and in that sense I stand by my statement.

there are thousands of devs who "have heart" but ultimately its the higher ups that control the franchise.

Shigeru Miyamoto is an example of a higher up who has heart. And that fact really affects the development of nintendo games.

SixKeys
02-15-2015, 06:27 PM
It's not soul or passion that AC lacks, it's creative freedom. The developers are on a strict deadline, reusing assets are prioritized, sometimes features are ripped during development and used on another IP, etc, etc. Reading articles, watching interviews, and listening to the actors/writers/developers on podcast, AC definitely does not lack heart, IMO. TBH, I feel insulted for them whenever someone says that.

Agreed. I feel especially bad when people criticize Darby for the overall direction of the franchise because I think he's one of the people who probably have the best understanding of the series and what fans want. Many people didn't like the way MD was handled in AC4, but it could have been much worse if Darby hadn't decided he wanted the MD to have a full arc. We likely would have gotten the same thing as in Unity (which is to say NOTHING) if Darby hadn't wanted a clear beginning, middle and end for the Floating Tablet. He also wrote those Desmond audio logs for the fans to get some closure because he knows we like that stuff.

I may not always agree with his creative choices, but I do think he sympathizes with the fans and truly wants to bring them the best experience he can. I'm sure that goes for many other developers. Maybe not all of them - I can only imagine a lot of the same cynicism regarding the milking abounds in the Ubi offices as well as outside, and some devs would surely like to focus on more original projects. For some, the passion is there, and I don't really blame the ones who may have lost it along the way. I only expect them to deliver the best product they can in exchange for our money.

JustPlainQuirky
02-15-2015, 06:29 PM
I disagree with a ton of Darby-senpai's design decisions but he is the best UbiDev by far in terms of addressing fan concerns.

Not a lot of companies have those kinds of people.

Fatal-Feit
02-15-2015, 06:36 PM
when I say lacks heart I am referring to the higher ups and in that sense I stand by my statement.

there are thousands of devs who "have heart" but ultimately its the higher ups that control the franchise.

Shigeru Miyamoto is an example of a higher up who has heart. And that fact really affects the development of nintendo games.

The higher ups, definitely. That, I will agree with.

That's what separates Ubisoft's IPs from Nintendo's. The higher ups at Ubisoft don't care about their franchises, only the dough it brings in. They lost touch with their fans. Uplay, itself, is proof of that.

JustPlainQuirky
02-15-2015, 06:39 PM
And it's a shame considering Ubisoft has this great fan-feedback system. Better than any franchise I've seen so far. But what's the point when they don't care?

it's basically devs trying to work with justified fan complaints while simultaneously having to deal with higher ups anti-consumer restrictions.

It sucks for everyone.

Farlander1991
02-15-2015, 06:45 PM
That's what separates Ubisoft's IPs from Nintendo's. The higher ups at Ubisoft don't care about their franchises, only the dough it brings in. They lost touch with their fans. Uplay, itself, is proof of that.

FYI, Nintendo's shareholders blatantly said they don't understand videogames. And some other controversial statements too. The difference is, though, that Nintendo gets 4 time bigger yearly revenue than Ubi (one of the biggest reasons being a console manufacturer and getting a cut of every game sold on their platform), so unlike Ubi they can allow their biggest revenue streams (which is what shareholders care about) be not on time.

JustPlainQuirky
02-15-2015, 06:50 PM
Shareholders don't mean squat.

Shareholders wanted Miyamoto to bring Mario to mobile devices and he didn't budge. Because he cares.

And regarding financial issues, Nintendo was selling Wii U's at a loss for the longest time. And Wii U's are selling like crap. And yet nintendo released Bayonetta 2, smash bros, mario kart 8, mario 3d world, pikmin 3, wonderful 101, etc. I dont love them all, but they all had unique heart and were full complete games despite not making much profit.

fun is still priority to nintendo

you should see nintendo's sales. before amiibos were released they were barely making bank

Farlander1991
02-15-2015, 06:57 PM
Shareholders wanted Miyamoto to bring Mario to mobile devices and he didn't budge. Because he cares.

Yeah, that's easy to say in Nintendo's situation which won't lose a hefty percent of its profit if it doesn't do that.

JustPlainQuirky
02-15-2015, 07:04 PM
Yeah, that's easy to say in Nintendo's situation which won't lose a hefty percent of its profit if it doesn't do that.

And Miyamoto outright said he'd be willing to make the sacrifice.

That's the difference between a higher up with heart and one just interested in bank.

Many nintendo lead developers even slice their own paychecks in half when sales arent doing well instead of firing developers. It's truly admirable.

Fatal-Feit
02-15-2015, 07:29 PM
That's the difference between a higher up with heart and one just interested in bank.

I wouldn't use that as an example. The only reason why Miyamoto doesn't want Mario on mobile is the same reason why the Wii U flops in sales. Nintendo doesn't understand the consumer market. They're stubborn and refuse to adapt.

He's okay with all the redundant spin-off sequels after sequels, though. Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, Dr.Mario, Mario vs Sonic, Mario Cart, Mario Party, Luigi's Mansion, etc, etc. =p

JustPlainQuirky
02-15-2015, 07:34 PM
I wouldn't use that as an example. The only reason why Miyamoto doesn't want Mario on mobile is the same reason why the Wii U flops in sales. Nintendo doesn't understand the consumer market. They're stubborn and refuse to adapt.

He's okay with all the redundant spin-off sequels after sequels, though. Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, Dr.Mario, Mario vs Sonic, Mario Cart, Mario Party, Luigi's Mansion, etc, etc. =p

Fair point.

I usually don't count the side sports ones as theyre often developed by side studios to fill in between the real releases.

But don't include luigi's mansion in that list. Luigi's Mansion is a magnificent game and so is its sequel.

And even so, Nintendo strives to innovate those titles by adding in new mechanics.

Fatal-Feit
02-15-2015, 07:47 PM
But don't include luigi's mansion in that list. Luigi's Mansion is a magnificent game and so is its sequel.

And even so, Nintendo strives to innovate those titles by adding in new mechanics.

Mario Cart and Mario Party are also fantastic games. Redundant spin-offs and sequels aren't always a bad thing.

Nintendo innovates their Mario IPs as much as a fighting game. Now I'm off-topic. =p

DemonLord4lf
02-16-2015, 04:13 AM
http://memecrunch.com/meme/6VUYV/see-i-can-be-assassin-s-creed/image.jpg?w=400&c=1

Farlander1991
02-16-2015, 08:51 AM
And Miyamoto outright said he'd be willing to make the sacrifice.

That's the difference between a higher up who knows what will bring money and a higher up who doesn't.

I'm sorry, but Miyamoto wouldn't win over the shareholders by the power of 'love' and 'sacrifice' alone, he would tell them that Mario games are the primary reasons for people getting those consoles in the first place, and putting them on other platforms would greatly diminish their total revenue (which has already taken a hit due to WiiU). Doesn't mean that he doesn't care, though. But one shouldn't idealize when it comes to companies with investors.

And your WiiU example was just looking at a part of an ecosystem on its own, without the whole picture. Ubi also sold Rayman at a loss, for example. But there was things (ahem, AC), that allowed them to make that loss. You can allow different losses depending on how your revenue stream is set up.

The sad truth is, right now, Ubi can take some risks now because of AC, but there's also a question of, 'what to replace AC with if you want to take a huge risk with AC', and there is no straight answer.

SixKeys
02-16-2015, 11:14 PM
The sad truth is, right now, Ubi can take some risks now because of AC, but there's also a question of, 'what to replace AC with if you want to take a huge risk with AC', and there is no straight answer.

This is why I think they should bring back Prince of Persia. I understand they don't want two franchises with similar mechanics competing with each other, but PoP takes place in a fantasy universe and allows for a lot more innovation in terms of gameplay than AC. PoP still has a loyal fanbase. If one series starts to falter, they have another strong one to fall back on.

StormsAndSaints
02-16-2015, 11:39 PM
I commend your bravery my good sir.... or lady. :nonchalance: