PDA

View Full Version : Kenway saga was THE BEST saga in the franchise don't you think?

Defalt221
02-14-2015, 06:01 PM
I thought the combined stories of Edward,Haytham and Connor (all of theirs TRAGIC) was WAYYYY better than the Auditore saga.What do you think?

SixKeys
02-14-2015, 06:39 PM
Both sagas have their weak points. ACR for Ezio and AC3 for the Kenways. ACR is still miles better than AC3 though, so the Auditores win.

Shahkulu101
02-14-2015, 07:02 PM
Hard to pick. I think overall the Kenway saga has better stories but the Ezio trilogy is so epic, I really enjoyed Ezio as a protagonist and Revelations ending was amazing.

The Ezio trilogy is better in terms of gameplay (apart from ACIV) and has better cities too. I think I'm going to have to go with the Ezio trilogy, for the nostalgia factor and the fact it got me into the series. I have more of an emotional connection to it, especially Brotherhood which was my first AC.

AjinkyaParuleka
02-14-2015, 07:25 PM
Considering this is in terms of story,Kenway Saga wins.Its pretty sad to see people wanting another Ezio in EVERY AC games.

VestigialLlama4
02-14-2015, 07:33 PM
First of all there is no Auditore Saga, there is the Ezio Auditore story.

The Kenway Family is an actual saga, its about the Rise and Fall, of fortunes won and lost, and identities being changed across generations.

Altair1789
02-14-2015, 07:36 PM
I vote for the Altaïr saga

GunnerGalactico
02-14-2015, 07:42 PM
Gonna have to go with the Kenway saga because it had a much more interesting story and characters.

SpiritOfNevaeh
02-14-2015, 08:21 PM
Gonna have to go with the Kenway saga because it had a much more interesting story and characters.

^ This by a long shot.

RADAR__4077
02-14-2015, 08:47 PM
I vote for the Altaïr saga

It's sad there isn't one. He's my favorite character in the series. Great period of history to explore too.

Assassin_M
02-14-2015, 09:27 PM
You're insulting the Kenway saga by placing it beside the Ezio saga. Only one good story in the Ezio saga, should be obvious which is better.

Shahkulu101
02-14-2015, 09:37 PM
You're insulting the Kenway saga by placing it beside the Ezio saga. Only one good story in the Ezio saga, should be obvious which is better.

Only one good game in the Kenway Saga. I'm counting the overall experience not just the main narrative.

Assassin_M
02-14-2015, 09:38 PM
Only one good game in the Kenway Saga. I'm counting the overall experience not just the main narrative.
Did I say game? I said story. The entirety of the Kenway saga is a great story. ACB and AC II were terrible stories. Besides, why so defensive? i'm talking about myselfie.

king-hailz
02-14-2015, 09:48 PM
Definitely the Auditore saga! AC4 is great but overall...

Gameplay goes to Auditore saga!
modern day was much better in the Auditore saga!
Side characters are better in Auditore saga.
Auditore saga has a MUCH MUCH better ending!
Music was better in Auditore saga...
Personally prefer protagonist in Auditore saga.
and basically everything else in Auditore saga.

Except graphics and animation...

Shahkulu101
02-14-2015, 10:02 PM
Did I say game? I said story. The entirety of the Kenway saga is a great story. ACB and AC II were terrible stories. Besides, why so defensive? i'm talking about myselfie.

Not defensive, just saying. I was just comparing Kenway Saga and Ezio story in terms of how good the overall package is - game and story.

I'd say terrible is harsh on ACII and BH. They're cliche and simple but entertaining in their own right. With II, even though it was straightforward I was still engaged in the plot, the supporting cast are pretty good - Leonardo is brilliant - and there's a sense of epicness to the story as we follow Ezio through a large portion of his life going from city to city. ACB was entertaining as a power fantasy romp - playing as Mentor Ezio as he dismantles Cesare's occupation. Regarding the cartoon villains, yes I prefer more nuanced antagonists but for what they were meant to be, exaggerated pantomime villains, they were enjoyable. Rodrigo has a fantastically sister voice and merciless tone about his character and Cesare's frantic shouts for 'GUARDS, GUARDS' are supposed to be amusingly over the top.

SixKeys
02-14-2015, 10:04 PM

There's only one good story in the Kenway saga as well, AC4.

Namikaze_17
02-14-2015, 10:31 PM
It all comes down to preference really. Both sagas had their strengths and weaknesses.

On that note, I prefer the Kenway saga as I connected with the characters more than one character for three times. :rolleyes:

X_xWolverinEx_X
02-14-2015, 10:31 PM
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/757/498/89c.gif

ubigamercell
02-14-2015, 11:17 PM
The Kenway arc all the way! Much more enjoyable and fun to play.

Perk89
02-15-2015, 12:39 AM
Auditore. Connor and Edward are great, but the Auditore saga was excellent and made the franchise what it is today.

Assassin_M
02-15-2015, 01:35 AM
Nah, AC III's story is great.

Not defensive, just saying. I was just comparing Kenway Saga and Ezio story in terms of how good the overall package is - game and story.
Well, i argued before how I don't think AC II is not really a great game, either. Story and gameplay. It's "good"

I'd say terrible is harsh on ACII and BH.
I wouldnt. AC II's story is great until sequence 6 and then it goes downhill. No interesting side characters, 2D antagonists, repetitive structure and missions. As for ACB, it's a better game than AC II but the story is just as bland. Mentor Ezio was the only good thing about ACB's story.

So this is my set up.

AC II: Uninspired story
ACB: Bland story
ACR: Great story

AC III: Great story
AC IV: Great story

It's pretty simple.

VestigialLlama4
02-15-2015, 06:59 AM

No there are two, Assassin's Creed III and Black Flag, are both great stories. AC3 being the darkest and saddest story, having the grayest conflict and most ambitious scope.

The only really great story in the Ezio games is AC2, the other games are just DLC expansion pack disguised as plots.

SixKeys
02-15-2015, 09:35 AM
No there are two, Assassin's Creed III and Black Flag, are both great stories. AC3 being the darkest and saddest story, having the grayest conflict and most ambitious scope.

The only really great story in the Ezio games is AC2, the other games are just DLC expansion pack disguised as plots.

AC3's story had potential, but it was botched in execution. A good plot badly told still makes for a bad story. It's like that one person who can never remember how a joke goes tell a good joke. It's just gonna fall flat on its face no matter how good the original set-up may have been.

"Okay, so there's this one guy, right? Actually wait, I think there were two guys. Anyway, they're walking down to the marketplace.....Or was it the pub? Yeah, it was the pub, sorry, forget what I said earlier. So these two guys are walking to a pub.....Actually, they're already IN the pub, don't know why I started with the walking. So two guys walk into a pub, and there's a third one there who says....What was it again? Argh, crap, I forget this next bit. You know what, let me start over." etc.

AC3 had grey villains but they were utterly forgettable as characters (apart from Lee and Hickey). Haytham was a great protagonist but God knows why we spent so much time with him when his son was supposedly the true hero of the story. Connor's personality and motivations were unclear, making it very hard to care about him or the plot. To top it all off, the modern day story is spectacularly disappointing and confusing.

AC4 at least has a narrative that's fairly easy to follow even if most of the characters are forgettable. Edward wants to get rich, got it. That's the underlying motivation for both the story and gameplay. His character arc is believable and subtle and we never lose sight of his true personality - he may be a scallywag, but not a total b@stard underneath. Whereas Connor swings wildly between Social Justice Warrior and stone-cold killer. One minute he claims to be impartial, the next he's playing bocce with Washington, who he knows was responsible for his village's destruction.

IMO AC2 has the best story in the Ezio trilogy due to the combination of scope and consistency. Love him or hate him, Ezio remains a consistent character throughout, and despite the side mission detours, the audience never loses sight of his ultimate goals because they're kept simple. ACB has a simplistic story but every character is memorable and the gameplay and story are inextricably woven together. Everything is about removing Borgia influence from Rome, and it works. They even manage some character growth in there between Claudia and Ezio. AC2 has the more epic scope, but ACB is the tighter package.

SixKeys
02-15-2015, 09:39 AM
On a side note, I love that the two options are tied in the poll at the moment. Just shows neither is clearly better, both have their strengths and weaknesses and ultimately it comes down to personal preferences.

The4orTy67
02-15-2015, 01:33 PM
Let me start by saying that I joined the AC club fairly late. Assassin's Creed II was my frist AC game and I bought that one in 2013. I played it, finished it and was left wondering why everybody likes this game so much or why it is considered to the the best AC ever. Mind you, as a little kid I LOVED Prince of Persia, you know you could actually DIE while platforming. AC II felt way too safe in that regard. I also don't get why everybody likes Ezio so much, the young charismatic suave good-looking character stereotype you can find everywhere else. I also don't get why he keeps fighting the Templers when he has killed his father's and brother's murderer so early on in the game.
Sigh, next up was Unity. The less said about this game the better. Arno feels like a copy and paste Ezio.

Then came Black Flag and what can I say I love it, mostly because it has so little to do with being an actual assassin. I have yet to play AC III and I'm hoping to catach up on that very soon.

But I choose the Prince any time of the week over all these assassins.

Yggdrasil1994
02-15-2015, 01:46 PM
That's a really hard decision, since I love both incredible much... Mhm, but I have to choose the Kenway saga.
While it was wonderful to see and experience Ezio's whole life (the "Three Faces of Adam" phases; The Hunter, The Lord, The Prophet) and the Renaissance-era Italy, I love how different the Kenway saga was, each game compared to the others, and I think all Kenways are great and well-written characters, each of their own having a special story to tell.
Moreover I'm biased since I love the ships and naval aspects in the games, and also the American setting (I found the nature always beautiful); and the Kenway saga has a huge asset because of its Templars; the Ezio saga's ones couldn't be taken serious most of the time, the Caribbean and Colonial (/American) Rites gave us Haytham and his group, Shay, de Torres, aso.
The Ezio saga had great historical persons (especially Leonardo DaVinci, IMO, I loved him), well fleshed-out and memorable secondary and supporting characters (The only game, in my opinion, that had even better ones was ACIV:BF) and 3/5 parts of Desmond's story (I like the MD aspect), playing AC2, ACB and ACRv feels very cosy/homely, with Ezio's family, his villa, his city, his brotherhood, his Assassins; the music, the AC2's intro (still makes me almost crying) and my favourite part: The DesmondxEzioxAltaïr connection in ACRv. It's all very epic and simply amazing!
But the Kenway family's story/stories feel/s more tragic, much more grey, darker; Ezio's trilogy gave us many answers, the Kenway one rather made us question things.
Edward, Haytham and Connor are so imperfect and flawed (and the same can be said about e.g. Achilles), but I really appreciate this and love that Ubi gave us first a trilogy about one character, following him through his whole life, and then one about a family, following them through three generations, and we could met a pirate-turned-Assassin, a British Templar Grand Master (with Assassin training in his childhood) coming to the Colonies and a Native-American Assassin, each of them very unique, and as a whole one of my favourite fictional families.
I think both sagas have their strengths and weaknesses, and both have amazing characters (my three favourite characters are actually Shay, Haytham and Ezio), but my vote goes to the Kenways.

Fatal-Feit
02-15-2015, 05:23 PM
The Kenway Saga, without a doubt. Best stories, casts, gameplay, setting, etc, etc. =p

*skims through thread*

Everything my senpai, _M, said.

JustPlainQuirky
02-15-2015, 05:25 PM
Both sagas have their weak points. ACR for Ezio and AC3 for the Kenways. ACR is still miles better than AC3 though, so the Auditores win.

I disagree 1000x times

AC3 is far superior in terms of story and atmosphere

SixKeys
02-15-2015, 05:38 PM
I disagree 1000x times

Actually, miles ahead was an exaggeration, I take that back. Still better than AC3, but not by miles.

ACR had at least one good city, a few fun, memorable missions and some genuinely touching character moments. And a better soundtrack. Oh, and parkour that didn't totally suck. (Still sucked a little, but not total monkey balls.)

JustPlainQuirky
02-15-2015, 05:41 PM
Actually, miles ahead was an exaggeration, I take that back. Still better than AC3, but not by miles.

ACR had at least one good city, a few fun, memorable missions and some genuinely touching character moments. And a better soundtrack.

AC Revelations had a phenomenal main theme. However I wouldn't say the overall soundtrack was superior to AC3's. They were different styles. One more somber and one bombastic.

They're both high quality.

In terms of setting that is more of a personal preference as I love the colonies very much. Im sure statistically many would prefer Constantinople but I stand by my statement that in terms of narrative - aside from a few characterization flaws- AC3 has the strongest narrative in the franchise.

Fatal-Feit
02-15-2015, 05:50 PM
I disagree 1000x times

I agree with her to some degree. While I prefer AC3 (it's my 2nd most fav of the franchise), ACR was undoubtedly the better game. =p

Story -> Tie

AC3, on paper, has a better narrative and characters, but Revelations was presented MUCH better and less distorted. Better pacing, less fillers, etc, etc.

Gameplay -> Revelations

ACR has the better stealth.

ACR has the better navigation, or more specifically, MUCH better use of navigation.

Combat is a tie.

ACR has better side content.

Soundtrack -> Tie

SixKeys
02-15-2015, 05:55 PM
I agree with her to some degree. While I prefer AC3 (it's my 2nd most fav of the franchise), ACR was undoubtedly the better game. =p

Story -> Tie

AC3, on paper, has a better narrative and characters, but Revelations was presented MUCH better and less distorted. Better pacing, less fillers, etc, etc.

Gameplay -> Revelations

ACR has the better stealth.

ACR has the better navigation, or more specifically, MUCH better use of navigation.

Combat is a tie.

^ This. I can't quite decide on combat. AC3's would be superior if only the notoriety system didn't totally screw everything up. The idea of having to use different moves against different archetypes is good, but it's just not fun by the time you hit full notoriety because you can't even walk five feet without twenty Jaegers jumping on you.

JustPlainQuirky
02-15-2015, 05:59 PM
I would not say the story is a tie.

Ezio with Sofia and the Ottomans was a yawn at best. And Altair's story was very brief. They're both two simple stories IIRC. Though I've only played it once and would have to replay it. They felt like stories that didn't need to be told.

The modern day had some plot progressive events, but it was kept at a minimum.

SixKeys
02-15-2015, 06:05 PM
I would not say the story is a tie.

Ezio with Sofia and the Ottomans was a yawn at best. And Altair's story was very brief. They're both two simple stories IIRC. Though I've only played it once and would have to replay it. They felt like stories that didn't need to be told.

The modern day had some plot progressive events, but it was kept at a minimum.

Gotta agree with you there. ACR's story was unnecessary and its characters very bland. But IMO it had better pacing and better character moments than AC3. AC3 had a bunch of memorable scenes, but none of them really hit the right emotional beats for me. Connor's childhood may be the only exception, and that was still poorly paced.

JustPlainQuirky
02-15-2015, 06:08 PM
I am one of the few who loved the pacing in the beginning with Haytham.

I felt the 2-3 hours with him really solidified his and his templar mates' characters which is good for them being established villains later on.

But hey I also like ConHayth so my opinions arent exactly the norm

SixKeys
02-15-2015, 06:13 PM
It was fine the first time (with the big twist still unrevealed), but upon subsequent replays the Haytham sequences get reeeally boring. There are several missions that are literally just Haytham slowly riding a horse and talking to someone, or walking and talking, or riding a carriage and talking.... There are some great character moments in there, but they didn't need to be stretched into six hours.

JustPlainQuirky
02-15-2015, 06:14 PM
That's primarily in the veeery beginning. And that's to get a sense of atmosphere. I was super invested by that scene.

But gameplay-wise I can see why it can be seen as an annoyance.

GoldenBoy9999
02-15-2015, 06:21 PM
This is an easy choice for me, the Kenway Saga. I love it.

I was much more interested in its stories and characters. I also like the setting of the colonies better as well.

Going back to the games, I find that the newer games (Kenway saga) hold up better and are more fun to play. They're more refined. We didn't have a crouch button in any of the games, but the bushes and corner kills in the Kenway saga made up for it.

I don't care for Ezio's personality, but I did like Leonardo a lot. He was great. The characters in the Kenway saga like Connor, Edward, and Haytham were far more interesting though.

One of the biggest reasons I love the Kenway saga is the inter-connectedness of it all. The saga does not follow the life of one individual, but rather the lives of three generations of Kenways and their stories. Haytham and Edward seen together in BF, again in Forsaken, the opera house, Liberation, Freedom Cry which showed more of Adewale's story and set up Rogue, and to top it all off, the many great connections to the saga in Rogue. The countless references to previous events, and how we saw characters evolve made me feel like I was watching a great episodic TV series.

Farlander1991
ACR is the only game of the series where MD and past really play off each other, which I think is very important for the MD to actually be useful and emotionally captivating.

Let's face it, the only reason we're going through the historical parts in these games is to get to the McGuffin, to find the info, but that's where the interesting story and emotions are held. The reason why there's such little popularity with MD is because there was no thematic connection between it and the past section. When we play AC1, we go through a tale of redemption and change in the historical part, and in the modern day part we're a guy waiting to be saved just learning the situation around us. Heck, AC2 starts with, 'yeah, whatever, we just want you to train and become an Assassin', there's absolutely no connection between what Ezio is going through and what Desmond is going through. Sure, there are intriguing parts there, but it's not enough to captivate a wide audience.

Compare it to ACR, where we have three Assassins who influence one another: Altair, Ezio, and Desmond, all figuring out what to do with their Assassin heritage and how to decide their future. Altair, for whom it was his whole life, Ezio, who was forced into it unexpectadly, and Desmond, who tried to run away from it. Each Assassin takes a different decision and leaves a mark on the other one, culminating in the very beautiful moment at the very end where Ezio talks to Desmond. ACR's writing may not be perfect, but it did one thing right - the whole MD/historical connection was not just a bookend device, md wasn't just to have lots of historical options and historical part for md wasn't just to get to a macguffin, they were connected in a way that actually mattered for characters and character progression.

But it's too late in the series for that to really matter or be that noticeable to be honest.

AC3 tried to do that with the father/son relationship (Connor/Haytham and Desmond/William) but it was very abrupt, and I think they tried to make Desmond's final choice be influenced by his experience with Connor, but that's not noticeable.

JustPlainQuirky
Does AC Rogue count as the Kenway Saga?

The devs say so but....c'mon...it's Shay....

VestigialLlama4
02-15-2015, 06:33 PM
That's primarily in the veeery beginning. And that's to get a sense of atmosphere. I was super invested by that scene.

But gameplay-wise I can see why it can be seen as an annoyance.

Revelations and AC3 are actually quite similar in that both games started tentative experiments with the Animus' potential for unique stories. The idea of telling stories in multiple eras with a sense of historical continuity and resonance.

In terms of plot they had a lot of experiments. Revelations had four different layers. Desmond-Subject 16, then Altair-Ezio, to me the whole back-and-forth between past and present and the tension between Desmond and Subject 16 was great, because you didn't know until the last minute if Subject 16 was good or evil, and then he deleted himself to save your life. When Ezio says, "Who are we to have been so blessed that we communicate across centuries" was the key moment of the Franchise in that's what the games are really about and that's what the message of AC is, more than the title creed, the past as something vital and living, rather than a textbook.

With AC3, you again had two protagonists who on terms of gameplay had totally different relations to the landscapes. Haytham is a city-man and Connor is a man of the Forest and the Mountains, who sticks out in colonial times. Corey May spoke at the time that they wanted to push further in that experimentation of multi-layered storytelling but there were always the case of money spent on building separate assets. Until Ubisoft returns and builds on that experiments, Assassin's Creed will die.

AC3's Frontier and natural landscape is the most beautiful terrain in the series. Nothing comes close to it. And the soundtrack is underrated, like the Homestead Theme by Lorne Balfe is my favorite piece of music in the entire series and I can't believe it's not on the released soundtrack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b0oF6ovmrU

Hans684
02-15-2015, 06:33 PM
Does AC Rogue count as the Kenway Saga?

The devs say so but....c'mon...it's Shay....

Shay Patrick Cormac [Kenway]

JustPlainQuirky
02-15-2015, 06:35 PM
I forgot the scene where Haytham and Shay got married. My bad. :rolleyes:

Hans684
02-15-2015, 06:38 PM
I forgot the scene where Haytham and Shay got married. My bad. :rolleyes:

Must have been a broken memory. :rolleyes:

Yggdrasil1994
02-15-2015, 08:08 PM
I am one of the few who loved the pacing in the beginning with Haytham.

I felt the 2-3 hours with him really solidified his and his templar mates' characters which is good for them being established villains later on.

But hey I also like ConHayth so my opinions arent exactly the norm

Few?! :-O I always thought almost everybody would like this beginning parts, I for one love them!
The assassination in the opera house, his sea journey (with the beautiful intro), then finding, helping and rescruiting Hickey, Johnson, Pitcairn, Church, and later the missions with Ziio and the showdown with Braddock. And who could forget Charles' initiation into the Templar Order :rolleyes:
The Templars were well fleshed-out and I found it great to see them acting as a true team.
I love this and ConHayth, too.

This is an easy choice for me, the Kenway Saga. I love it.

[...]

One of the biggest reasons I love the Kenway saga is the inter-connectedness of it all. The saga does not follow the life of one individual, but rather the lives of three generations of Kenways and their stories. Haytham and Edward seen together in BF, again in Forsaken, the opera house, Liberation, Freedom Cry which showed more of Adewale's story and set up Rogue, and to top it all off, the many great connections to the saga in Rogue. The countless references to previous events, and how we saw characters evolve made me feel like I was watching a great episodic TV series.

Well said, I couldn't agree more!
This inter-connectedness, as you said, is also one of my main points why I love and prefer the Kenway saga.

JustPlainQuirky
02-15-2015, 08:09 PM
I love this and ConHayth, too.

http://reactiongifs.me/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/jeremiah_johnson_nodding-Robert-Redford.gif

Yggdrasil1994
02-15-2015, 08:28 PM
http://reactiongifs.me/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/jeremiah_johnson_nodding-Robert-Redford.gif

http://media2.giphy.com/media/f43Lq4O7JAGoU/giphy.gif

TexasCaesar
02-19-2015, 10:48 PM
I thought the combined stories of Edward,Haytham and Connor (all of theirs TRAGIC) was WAYYYY better than the Auditore saga.What do you think?

I'm one of those freaks who sincerely believes that AC3 was the best game in the series, so... Kenway.

brotersinarms
02-20-2015, 01:44 AM
I'm one of those freaks who sincerely believes that AC3 was the best game in the series, so... Kenway.

Yeah well you're not the only one. Me as well, and look at the Poll. I think all the nay saying about AC 3 was waaay overplayed, and i think Ubisoft knows that as well. I mean the game blockbustered in Sales. It was a great game, and actually the game that really got me into the series. In fact, i passed on AC 4 until recently, being iwasn't really into Pirates or that whole thing, but i felt after Rogue, i had to put the whole thing together. Great series.

Bane..
12-01-2015, 01:37 PM
How is even possible to compare them?
Connor was boring to death.
Ezio is universally considered best character of the series and one of the greatest characters in videogame history. His trasformation from playboy teenagers days to Mentor is something that i will never forget.
Connor had no emotional impact, very boring and empty, luckily he got 1 game.

Going4Quests
12-01-2015, 08:10 PM
Imo Kenway > Auditore.

Offtopic: if only there could be a full Frye saga.

BananaBlighter
12-01-2015, 10:18 PM
Imo Kenway > Auditore.

Offtopic: if only there could be a full Frye saga.

Agreed.

SpiritOfNevaeh
12-02-2015, 02:59 AM
Agreed with Going4Quests :D

LoyalACFan
12-02-2015, 06:16 AM
Voting Auditore, because it was actually a saga and not just a marketing catchphrase. I mean what even is the Kenway Saga?

Auditore Saga = AC2-ACB-ACR = Ezio's youth, Ezio's adulthood, Ezio's old age.

Kenway Saga = AC3-AC4-ACRo? = Connor's youth, his grandpa's adulthood, his dad's coworker's life story.

Mr.Black24
12-02-2015, 08:05 AM
Voting Auditore, because it was actually a saga and not just a marketing catchphrase. I mean what even is the Kenway Saga?

Kenway Saga = AC3-AC4-ACRo? = Connor's youth, his grandpa's adulthood, his dad's coworker's life story.

Fixed it for you.

The Kenway Saga is the story of a family's trials and tribulations, a diverse story of members from different backgrounds, cultures, and history. Which is why I love it so, its very diverse.

No, I'll never consider AC Rogue the closing chapter, when the guy ain't a Kenway. Just because Haytham shows up as a minor character, don't mean nothing. You might as well call a dog a cat just because it walks on four legs.

I-Like-Pie45
12-02-2015, 08:56 AM
Actually cats are dogs speaking in total evolutionary terms because they were part of the same species long ago before a genetic divergence. Shay Patrick Morrissey of Assassin's Cred Rouge is obviously a Kenway because humanity descended from their common ancestor, no doubt ensuring that as a result of the chromosomes present in both him and the other Kenways, Shay Patrick Morrissey is a Kenway and therefore Rouge is part of the Kenway saga.

RVSage
12-02-2015, 09:55 AM
Well to be honest the word "Saga" fits well with AC3 and Ac4. And revelations was an altair game too ,Revelations had a great story, at least the Altair portions. That lines of Altair throughout those sections so beautifully written.

Overall both of them were great stories. The only game that really disappointed me story wise was Unity. It lacked depth, had no feel.

My thoughts on stories so far

AC1 - Fair enough Story, the game was a proof of concept

AC2 - Both modern day and ezio stories were good (That ending with Desmond's reaction, I reacted exactly the same, no one spoiled things back then. Totally awesome experience)

ACB- Nice continuation, but the story to me was not as effective as AC 2,

ACRevelations - One the best written stories with great lines (The Darby master piece)

AC3- Terrific writing in terms of Haytham and Connor. But the history part was a bit too flat. I loved the two main characters. Haytham remains my favourite in the series. (What I really hated was the desmond ending. I was not sad because they killed him, I sad because of the way they killed him)

AC4 - Darby does it even better. That characterization of Blackbeard and Black bart and Edward wow. The dialogues were great, just like revelations

ACU- My least favorite and Arno the lover boy was boring (Arno could have been way better, had potential, but wasted). The story was a "award" attempt gone terribly wrong

ACS - The entertainer story , on the lines of Brotherhood, very fun , Twin clash based narrative was a plus.

Ranking of Stories

1. AC IV
2. AC Revelations
3. AC II
4. AC3
5. Ac botherhood/AC syndicate
6. AC1
7. AC Unity

As 2 games from each make the top 4 , I call it a stale mate

dxsxhxcx
12-02-2015, 12:23 PM
Even though I hate Brotherhood' story and the Ezio shown in that game, IMO the Auditore Saga is better than the Kenway one, Connor is a terrific character, very human and flawed, but he was naive until the end and this bothered me a lot, while I understand this is the story they wanted to tell, his story still felt unfinished, I think it would've been nice if we've had one or two sequences showing that after all he has been through, he learned from his mistakes and evolved into a wiser person...

I feel that from all the characters we had after Ezio, Connor is the only one that truly deserves a sequel (but not in america, I would like to see him going to europe or asia, anywhere but america).

Edward was a nice character as well, but I think the pirate fantasy got the spotlight, so I really don't care that much about him or his story.

Haytham was an OK character, I don't get why so many people love him so much (and I don't want to know, so if you like him and are reading this, there's no need to explain), so there isn't much to add here..

AC2' story had a lot of clichés, but I think the writers were able to explore them very well, the pace of the story is probably the best of all ACs (maybe because of the multiple cities, something I think that should make a return), making AC2 the easier game to come back to and play again without getting tired of the story, the side characters were nice as well and Leonardo and Mario are my favorite side characters from this franchise (I like Yusuf as well, but he wasn't in AC2).

ACR was a good game (story wise), it was nice to see Ezio visiting a different place and culture, they were able to fix the bad impression ACB left of him, there was a moment in this game where Ezio was talking with Suleiman (if I'm not wrong when they first meet) that IMO is one of the best moments of this franchise and that the writers, unfortunately, weren't able to replicate yet, if I'm not wrong they were discussing politics and it was something that I could totally see the Assassins doing and (from what I remember) it felt really natural, Yusuf was an awesome side character and the whole thing with the Altair memories was great (even though his memories could've been longer), the ending felt a little forced and corny with Ezio retiring and making a speech but I can live with it.

Bane..
12-02-2015, 01:33 PM
I disagree 1000x times

AC3 has probably the worst story of the series, for story and atmosphere of AC2 is just unreachable and that's a fact, opinions will not change that. Even ACB and ACR are better.
ps. Kenway saga doesn't even exist, lol.

TheBIHLover
12-02-2015, 02:07 PM

I do not agree at all. How can you say that the Kenway saga was the best, but ACB and AC ll were terrible? AC II and Brotherhood had good stories with a good character. The only good thing with the Kenway saga was AC Black Flag.

dxsxhxcx
12-02-2015, 02:09 PM
AC3 has probably the worst story of the series, for story and atmosphere of AC2 is just unreachable and that's a fact, opinions will not change that. Even ACB and ACR are better.

if you're going to dismiss other people's opinions just because they're different than yours there isn't really a point in discussing anything with you. I prefer Ezio to Connor but IMO Connor is a far superior character than Ezio.

SixKeys
12-02-2015, 03:30 PM

^ This. The Kenway saga was kind of all over the place. AC3 and AC4 made sense but Rogue had such flimsy ties with the Kenways I don't consider it a Kenway game just because Haytham appeared in a couple of missions.

Instead of the "Kenway saga", what we actually have is a North American saga, which also includes Liberation.

cawatrooper9
12-02-2015, 03:34 PM
^ This. The Kenway saga was kind of all over the place. AC3 and AC4 made sense but Rogue had such flimsy ties with the Kenways I don't consider it a Kenway game just because Haytham appeared in a couple of missions.

Instead of the "Kenway saga", what we actually have is a North American saga, which also includes Liberation.

As I put in another post, I firmly believe that if Rogue was even a twinkle in Unisoft's eye during the development of ACIII, their plans were to have it feature Haytham as the game's protagonist- but that was foiled by the Forsaken book basically using up Haytham during that time. I mean, it just makes more sense that we'd round off the saga with the same character that began it (and, in turn, is actually a Kenway...)

ze_topazio
12-02-2015, 03:54 PM
I think Ubisoft officially calls it the "New World saga", "Kenway saga" is more of a fan thing.

Kenway saga never made sense since Liberation was released at the same time as AC3, also Freedom Cry, depending if you consider it a standalone or not.

cawatrooper9
12-02-2015, 04:27 PM
I think Ubisoft officially calls it the "New World saga", "Kenway saga" is more of a fan thing.

Kenway saga never made sense since Liberation was released at the same time as AC3, also Freedom Cry, depending if you consider it a standalone or not.

Those are two different things, with some overlap. The New World Saga is actually an official package deal that included ACIII, ACL, and ACIV (not Rogue, because it was released before that).
The Kenway Saga (which is actually a term the devs have used) refers to ACIII, ACIV, and ACRo.

Assassin_M
12-02-2015, 04:47 PM
How can you say that the Kenway saga was the best, but ACB and AC ll were terrible?
Because I can.

AC II and Brotherhood had good stories with a good character. The only good thing with the Kenway saga was AC Black Flag.
Your opinion, bud. AC III and AC IV are in a whole other league of their own, in terms of storytelling. Let put it this way, AC II and ACB are like the fun shows that don't really care about crafting a decent plot ripe with mature themes and lacking in plot holes. They're fun little time killers, though. AC II and ACB are Pokemon. AC III and AC IV are like Digimon and Hunter X Hunter respectively.

I-Like-Pie45
12-02-2015, 04:51 PM
Because I can.

Your opinion, bud. AC III and AC IV are in a whole other league of their own, in terms of storytelling. Let put it this way, AC II and ACB are like the fun shows that don't really care about crafting a decent plot ripe with mature themes and lacking in plot holes. They're fun little time killers, though. AC II and ACB are Pokemon. AC III and AC IV are like Digimon and Hunter X Hunter respectively.
so does this mean acu is basically the power rangers digimon season, the one we won't speak of

Assassin_M
12-02-2015, 04:53 PM
so does this mean acu is basically the power rangers digimon season, the one we won't speak of
More or less.

GunnerGalactico
12-02-2015, 05:33 PM

Actually no. AC3 had a much better story and AC2 has been surpassed many times over. ACB, AC3, AC4 and even AC1 had a much better story and atmosphere than AC2. No contest.

I agree with this. I also consider all of the games based in NA as the North American Saga.

Sesheenku
12-03-2015, 04:19 AM
Story wise Kenways take it.

Game Play wise Auditore saga rapes.

I'll stick with Kenway saga Liberation is... meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeh

SpiritOfNevaeh
12-04-2015, 03:39 AM
^^ Pretty much agreed with this.

rrebe
12-04-2015, 09:14 AM
The Kenways. Overall I liked the stories and characters much more in AC3&AC4 than in Ezio trilogy.

the_don7684
12-04-2015, 09:20 PM
I liked both saga's as very well with the Kenway saga edging out Ezio's. Sure Ezio was very likable and it was pretty cool to watch his character grow but the Kenway's offered more depth better charater's. AC3 goes down as my favorite in the series by far. I can see why some people considered him bland after having grown to know Ezio as we did but to me Connor was someone I could relate to quite easily. A warrior who's quest was never as simple as he hoped it would be.

SectionHades
12-05-2015, 08:37 AM
I personally found the Frye twins to be my favorite, but that's only me. Although the story was meh, their characters were GREAT.

Sesheenku
12-05-2015, 10:05 AM
Oh but game play wise the latest to AC's have made me sick to even touch parkour in 3 and 4, there's no going back to 3 and 4.

I can do the ones before that since their parkour still had more control.

KG_NOx
12-06-2015, 07:46 PM
Still waiting for Ruggiero Ferraro's saga