PDA

View Full Version : Canon

CJReilly
02-14-2015, 09:20 AM
I've only ever played the games and watched lineage but apart from that could some one kindly give me a full list of other media that is all canon, I'm interested in everything, movies, books, comics the lot as long as it's all canon.
Thanks

VestigialLlama4
02-14-2015, 10:21 AM
I've only ever played the games and watched lineage but apart from that could some one kindly give me a full list of other media that is all canon, I'm interested in everything, movies, books, comics the lot as long as it's all canon.
Thanks

The Comics -- THE FALL, THE CHAIN, BRAHMAN are all Canon (the French BD however are not canon).
Novels - FORSAKEN, BLACK FLAG, UNITY (except for the stuff that appears in the game are all canon)
INITIATES Website is Canon.
EMBERS is Also Canon.

CJReilly
02-14-2015, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the list mate but what do you mean by except for the stuff that appears in the game?

VestigialLlama4
02-14-2015, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the list mate but what do you mean by except for the stuff that appears in the game?

Well the novels are novels, so it basically explains everything in the game, so sometimes it just simplifies and condenses it. So for instance, certain missions take place in an altered way in the books compared to the games. So that's what I mean by except for the stuff that appears in the game.

CJReilly
02-14-2015, 10:00 PM
ah ok I got you thanks

wvstolzing
02-15-2015, 12:41 AM
(the French BD however are not canon).

The first issue ("Desmond") definitely is not, but the second issue ("Accipiter") seems to be canon according to the wiki; the state of "Aquilus" is ambiguous, while "El Cakr" and "Leila" appear to be non-canon.

In any case, The Fall and The Chain are the only good ones.

for more: http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Assassin%27s_Creed_(comic_series)

Locopells
02-15-2015, 01:00 AM
The AC Lineage short film is also canon.

Jackdaw951
02-15-2015, 08:15 AM
Canon. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOA-2hl1Vbc) :) Sorry, one beer too many. Off to bed.

SixKeys
02-15-2015, 09:47 AM
Well the novels are novels, so it basically explains everything in the game, so sometimes it just simplifies and condenses it. So for instance, certain missions take place in an altered way in the books compared to the games. So that's what I mean by except for the stuff that appears in the game.

Some of the early novels directly contradict the games, like the AC: Renaissance novel where the Pope kills himself, which we know obviously didn't happen. The later novels (like the ones you mentioned) seem to be more consistent though.

VestigialLlama4
02-15-2015, 10:52 AM
Some of the early novels directly contradict the games, like the AC: Renaissance novel where the Pope kills himself, which we know obviously didn't happen. The later novels (like the ones you mentioned) seem to be more consistent though.

Yeah, they started riding the transmedia gravy train with FORSAKEN and made it more relevant and put in stuff in the books that's not in the game. Also you know they are all written by the characters (Haytham, Edward and Elise) so there's always allowances for unreliable narrator (errors, poor recollection, biases). Like in the Black Flag journal, Edward kind of whitewashes himself a lot, whereas Haytham is plainly using the book to talk of his personal life and not about his Templar work (which kind of but not exactly justifies why Shay is missing from the book, Haytham never saw him as more than a Templar grunt to boss around). The Elise journal is weakly written in that the writer finds it hard to write a woman's point of view well so it comes off as a lot more childish than the character in the game but it has good moments.

warriorpoet23
02-15-2015, 11:51 AM
i think i read an interview once where some one at ubisoft was asked about whether the french comics where canon and they said that the modern storylines aren't but the historic storyline is. However they aren't mentioned in the encyclopedia (atleast not in version 3.0) so i guess that would make all 6 (desmond, aquilus, accipiter, hawk, el cakr, and leila) non-canon until they are included in a game or official tie-in. Doesn't matter if they aren't... i've read the first 4 and there not that good.

I do think it would be good to have atleast easter eggs about them in future games (maybe only statues of the historic characters, similar to the ones under monteriggioni).