PDA

View Full Version : DLCs that teach you the most

adelagu
02-13-2015, 05:09 PM
Hello,

What are the DLCs that teach you the most ?? Not necessarily the easiest, or hardest, but the best ones for actually LEARNING guitar.

THANKS!

EvoKondo
02-13-2015, 05:24 PM
For me participating in the weekly challenge the last two weeks has been helpful. Little fuge has improved my motion around the fret boad and jumping between strings. The Chicago song is insane and has forced me to work a lot on bends and pre bends.

kidmeatball
02-13-2015, 05:30 PM
That will be different for every guitarist. If you could tell us what specific technical aspects you would like to learn some people might be able to recommend particular DLC. No matter what you want to learn, I would suggest Bachsmith. It covers a bunch of styles and is very reasonably priced.

MAng0r3
02-13-2015, 06:18 PM
For me participating in the weekly challenge the last two weeks has been helpful. Little fuge has improved my motion around the fret boad and jumping between strings. The Chicago song is insane and has forced me to work a lot on bends and pre bends.

Just got to be realistic about it tough. It's it realistic to learn some of these songs in a week?? Does reading RS highway and play a song actually qualifies as learning? Or is it just sight reading?? Not meaning nothing is learn there but it's not like master mode acheivements which are imo the only true reference of mastery. Some of the challengers(actualy one) can play and sing along this is a worthy sign of something that has been learn and mastered.

Being able to play something outside Rocksmith alone and with other musicians would qualify as a worthy goal. Otherwise being satisfied only by playing in front of the screen whitout memorizing a fair percentage of what you played is just pure entertaintment imo.

Having goals of short, middle and long term is a must but we also need to stick to the present and don't be distracted by future expectations.

''Awaiting rocks thrown at me now.''

Best DLC to learn will be music that you really appreciate but there's a big difference between something you like to listen and something wou will like to play. Got to find balance between both.

Sam_Teh_Great
02-16-2015, 06:44 AM
If you want to get into blues playing/jamming and take in some great minor pentatonic phrasing, Born Under a Bad Sign is excellent. Albert King and Stevie Ray Vaughan.

I'd suggest practicing the scale in session mode (C#m pentatonic), if it's all new to you. :)

rsratnip
02-16-2015, 01:14 PM
Hello,

What are the DLCs that teach you the most ?? Not necessarily the easiest, or hardest, but the best ones for actually LEARNING guitar.

THANKS!

I'm pretty sure the default RS song selection is pretty educational in itself. If you really make an honest effort on all of them in turn, you are bound to pick up all the necessary techniques and acquire some nice skills.

The DLC are more of a flavor. You can pick those that suit the genre you like listening or playing the most, are at the exact difficulty you require, or have a certain technique that you need polishing. But I doubt there are generic "uber-educational " DLCs out there. As mentioned, Bachsmith is definitely varied enough, but on the other hand I would hate to impose that particular DLC to someone who isn't really in modern reinventions of classical music (not to mention that it requires significant effort to master).

southernsontn
02-16-2015, 04:59 PM
Just got to be realistic about it tough. It's it realistic to learn some of these songs in a week?? Does reading RS highway and play a song actually qualifies as learning? Or is it just sight reading?? Not meaning nothing is learn there but it's not like master mode acheivements which are imo the only true reference of mastery. Some of the challengers(actualy one) can play and sing along this is a worthy sign of something that has been learn and mastered.

Being able to play something outside Rocksmith alone and with other musicians would qualify as a worthy goal. Otherwise being satisfied only by playing in front of the screen whitout memorizing a fair percentage of what you played is just pure entertaintment imo.

Having goals of short, middle and long term is a must but we also need to stick to the present and don't be distracted by future expectations.

''Awaiting rocks thrown at me now.''

Best DLC to learn will be music that you really appreciate but there's a big difference between something you like to listen and something wou will like to play. Got to find balance between both.

I agree completely. RS is a great tool, but it isn't the be all end all of everything... If you really want to check your mastery of a song, take the song that you've "mastered" in RS, put in the CD and plug into an amp. play along with the song and see how you size up in the absence of a note highway. That is one big reason why I pick one song a month to master. I hit master mode on a section, play it for a few more times trying not to look at the note highway. when I think I'm ready, I play along with the song outside of RS and see how it sounds and how much I've retained... I'm still on my first song doing it this way since I started back to playing, but I'm doing fairly well, if I must say so myself...

Venth
02-18-2015, 10:05 AM
I agree with the poster who suggested Bachsmith. It will have you all over the fretboard forcing you to work on shifting and muscle memory on the fretboard. The songs are in general not super fast tempo so if you get lost for a moment you can usually recover and keep practicing.

The only thing I would say is the Bachsmith pack is light on chords. The classical pieces dont feature many chords and are not chord driven in general. I would suggest maybe Oasis or REM songs if you like those bands you will get a lot of chord practice with their songs in general. (there are many other good choices those just came to mind as i was typing this).

PIMMONDS-
02-19-2015, 11:27 PM
Where do I find my statistics, I'm curious how to find how much time I've logged

Snack-Eater
02-20-2015, 01:20 AM
Where do I find my statistics, I'm curious how to find how much time I've logged
Scroll up on this page and click "Player Stats"

AlloysiusGrunt
02-20-2015, 05:10 PM
I'm partial to The Spirit of Radio (Rush) for covering a lot of territory technique-wise. It's not an easy song, but it'll show you a lot about moving around the neck, riff construction, chord voicings, different time signatures, and using different feels within the same song.

Oldmanjoe505
02-20-2015, 07:12 PM
I completely disagree with those saying playing along is not learning. If your score keeps going up, you are learning. All practice is teaching your mind to control your hands. If your scores stop rising, change your practice.

To the OP I think you posed a great question. But I personally think different songs for different techniques.
Play sublime tunes and it will work your barre chords.
Play Albert & BB King to work on nailing your bends.
Play offspring and boston to work out your power chords
Play bachsmith to work on your speed and moving around the fretboard.

To me those types of suggestions I find to be helpful, but I'm an odd duck so YMMV.