PDA

View Full Version : Pesky locks!

gloops1
02-13-2015, 12:58 PM
Well now I have got my lock skills, but the method of opening locks in game is a joke! Blind chance is no substitute for some 'tweaking' skills as most games provide! One needs a LOT of picks in this game! Anyone found a quick way around this boring method plz???

strigoi1958
02-13-2015, 01:10 PM
I have found that rushing costs me lots of picks... so I let it go up and down a couple of times to help me judge my timing. I opened lots of locks before I even upgraded my skills because I wanted to get rid of a lot of icons on the map before I played the main story.. I should have unlocked stage 3 lockpicking first it would have made it a lot easier for me :o

Lignjoslav
02-13-2015, 04:20 PM
It shouldn't be too hard unless you try to open locks that are of higher level than your lock-picking skill. If you have very low framerate, that may also be a problem. Other than that, as Strigoi said, have a bit of patience and with a little practice you shouldn't waste too many lockpicks. BTW, some equipment allows you to carry additional lockpicks, up to 25 or 30, which should remove the need to restock too often.

Misterscruff63
02-13-2015, 04:57 PM
I think it's the one the belts that let you a mass 30 lock picks more than plenty even if it's laborious.

similarly
02-14-2015, 12:49 AM
Yeah, I've never used more than 29 picks to open a lock. ;) Striggoi is right. It just takes practice and timing and patience. That said, I liked lockpicking in AC3 more. I felt it was more like picking a real lock. I'd like to see something that's more careful.

YazX_
02-14-2015, 01:21 AM
I have found that rushing costs me lots of picks... so I let it go up and down a couple of times to help me judge my timing. I opened lots of locks before I even upgraded my skills because I wanted to get rid of a lot of icons on the map before I played the main story.. I should have unlocked stage 3 lockpicking first it would have made it a lot easier for me :o

hahahahha, exactly i have done the same, had lvl 2 and opened lvl 3, the trick is to focus on the moving circle and let it pass 2-3 times infront of you then you will automatically hit it, but i would still be bothered by the whole thing, its annoying and the most annoying part is you need to progress too much in the game to unlock lvl3, i usually start hunting collectibles and side missions at the beginning, so this kinda forced me to waste alot of time to open lvl3 chests with lvl2 skill.

strigoi1958
02-14-2015, 03:06 AM
Yeah, I've never used more than 29 picks to open a lock. ;) Strigoi is right. It just takes practice and timing and patience. That said, I liked lockpicking in AC3 more. I felt it was more like picking a real lock. I'd like to see something that's more careful.

Yes I liked the lockpicking in AC3 it was more lifelike with the lock clicking about until it got the right clunk :D

gloops1
02-14-2015, 12:54 PM
Which ever way you put it guys' it's still a pain in the arse mats!

strigoi1958
02-14-2015, 01:39 PM
yes there is always something in each game that is there to frustrate us.... in AC2 it was the timed lever levels... where you pull a lever and jump across steps that come out of the wall and if you do not get to the next point in time the steps went back and you fell and had to restart....I can never play AC2 again

gloops1
02-14-2015, 03:17 PM
I know what you mean bud! This game sucks in so many ways! I have just started 'Dead Kings' ...and changed my mind ....or TRIED TO! You can't get out and do this once the sequence has started! How short sighted of the designers! I have had to uninstall the darned game and start all over again!! How short sighted!!!

YazX_
02-14-2015, 10:49 PM
I know what you mean bud! This game sucks in so many ways! I have just started 'Dead Kings' ...and changed my mind ....or TRIED TO! You can't get out and do this once the sequence has started! How short sighted of the designers! I have had to uninstall the darned game and start all over again!! How short sighted!!!

Sorry but this has been asked and answered many times on the forums, if you used the search function you would know that you can get out of the DLC after completing the first mission where you get to fast travel back to Paris and continue, i feel sorry that you had to uninstall and restart from the beginning though.

jeffies04
02-15-2015, 09:59 PM

You just had to finish that first short mission and then you could exit back to your game...

Edit: sorry Yaz's reply was hiding on me.

veovis77
02-16-2015, 01:15 PM
Yes I liked the lockpicking in AC3 it was more lifelike with the lock clicking about until it got the right clunk :D

The problem with lock picking in AC3 was that it wasn't mouse-friendly. I can see it being OK for a controller (I don' use one, so I haven't tied it), but the picking mechanism didn't account for the fact that it's very difficult to maintain a perfectly straight line with a mouse. It was incredibly frustrating, and I don't think I ever did all the locks in AC3 for that reason.

gloops1
02-16-2015, 01:35 PM
I accept what you say guys' ..I just couldn't find the way out there and then and even though I tried to re-install the game ..that didn't work either! So I thought I would finish what I have. Now I find that there is a carriage to Paris anyway at the other end of town! lol. With the lock picking, I have discovered that the narrow band gets bigger when you get the proper skills anyway...so I will have to wait. There are a lot of chests that can still be opened though, even at the lower end. I just try them all. If they are too hard I leave them for later.

When they are a lot of guards, I just hit few with the 'crazy blade' and wait until they chop themselves up a bit. LOL

Lignjoslav
02-16-2015, 01:37 PM
EDIT: @veovis: Unless you hit a bug, you could have just finished the first mission of the DLC. After that, there should be nothing preventing you from getting back into Paris.

veovis77
02-16-2015, 01:57 PM
EDIT: @veovis: Unless you hit a bug, you could have just finished the first mission of the DLC. After that, there should be nothing preventing you from getting back into Paris.

I think you replied to the wrong guy, there - my post had nothing to do with escaping Dead Kings :)

strigoi1958
02-16-2015, 02:07 PM
Lock Picking..... I found moving the mouse slowly helped but sometimes while clicking the mouse button made it move the mouse but I still enjoyed it.

gloops1
02-16-2015, 10:01 PM
Whilst we are here guys' does any of you know the keyboard keys for jumping backwards? Tried a lo of combos' ???

strigoi1958
02-17-2015, 03:29 PM
Whilst we are here guys' does any of you know the keyboard keys for jumping backwards? Tried a lo of combos' ???

Hold your left shift key and tap your spacebar.... sometimes you need to be is a specific place before he will back jump.

gloops1
02-19-2015, 05:16 PM
I wannna thank yous guys here!

strigoi1958
02-19-2015, 06:37 PM
you're welcome... we're all gamers like you and we all need help from time to time. :D