PDA

View Full Version : Freaking Morris

Perk89
02-12-2015, 05:15 AM
What a stupid, contrived piece of crap this game is. If I didn't know any better I'd swear some clown at Ubisoft Great Plains or whatever made this crap up as they went along.

"Alright guys we need another board game, can't have only two, players are gonna want a break from hunting down all the items our brand new RCG (random collectables generator) puts out, and those times in between when there's a story sequence or something maybe. Wait, Terry didn't I tell you to cut those out to make room for more flags?

anyways, Jim, whaddya got?

Jim: well, uh..blah blah blah"

Im not even kidding. I'm doing an AC4 run and have forgotten how much I hate this unholy abomination. I've played a lot of games in my day, and never have I hated something so much except maybe that companion app in this other game I've played called Assassins Creed Unity.

Aside from the fact that the computer AI is nothing more than a prettied up version of a Windows XP Checkers opponent, the game itself is comically bogus.

"Me: Alright... So Morris... How do I play this game?"

"Computer: Well we start out just by putting our pieces anywhere you want."

"Anywhere?"

"No, only I can. If you put your pieces where i wanted to put mine, you're gonna lose."

"Oh, okay. So I can put them here?

"Yes. That's not a good spot to put them though so you're probably going to lose."

"what"

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120405091046/spongebob/images/8/86/Two_Weeks_Later..._.png

"Me: Okay, so I've finally gotten all pieces on the board. What now"

"Computer: Okay, now I take your pieces by spamming this one move over and over again until you lose."

"Huh"

"Yeah. Back and forth. Back and forth."

"Okay, now I've got three pieces in a row, and I'd like to take that piece you keep moving back and forth."

"Um.. Uh.. You can't."

"Wait. What?? Why??"

"Because I need that piece. You've got to take one of these pieces over here that I don't need."

"this is a stupid game"

"Back and forth. Back and forth you lose the game."

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140120181343/the-fallen/images/9/95/One_eternity_later.jpg

"Me: Okay, Okay. Okay alright. I'm finally gonna win and can move on. I've taken like all but a few of your pieces. Now I just have to move this one piece back into a mill and I get to take away your last piece"

"wait wait wait no no no. Now I get to uh... Um... Uhhhh... Wait... Oh um... Now... Uh now I just get to move my pieces wherever I want "

"WHAT...? ARE YOU KIDDING ME, do I get to do that?

"No.

"well then what happens now?!?"

" You lose the game."

,. ..
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/13/mar/acbetray.jpg

Seriously man screw this game. Give us a kill opponent function.

wvstolzing
02-12-2015, 05:27 AM
It's rumored that the game inspires players to take up morris dancing.

British folks understand what I'm talking about. :rolleyes:

Locopells
02-12-2015, 12:03 PM
Rage Quit was the best ToKW moment ever...

SixKeys
02-12-2015, 12:09 PM
Rage Quit was the best ToKW moment ever...

For real. They should have had that option in AC4. Would have fitted Edward's character and wouldn't have made me feel quite so bad about losing all the time.

HiddenKiller612
02-12-2015, 12:38 PM
I could picture Edward, slamming his hand down on the morris board, throwing the pieces all around and smashing his opponent in the head with a bottle of rum.

Perk89
02-12-2015, 05:44 PM
I've begged Ubisoft for a rage quit button. I've given them a number of other ideas, they're welcome to this one too. They better patch it into the old games too though. That's my fee.

Rafe Harwood
02-15-2015, 01:26 AM
I just wanted to say thank you for the chuckles.

This thread made me grin from ear to ear :D

VestigialLlama4
02-15-2015, 07:25 AM
Those antique board games are truly loathsome, what I don't get is why Assassins don't use Eagle Sense or whatever to cheat. What's the point of having a sixth sense if it can't give you an unfair advantage.

SirTookTookIII
02-15-2015, 07:26 AM
That damn game was probably the biggest obstacle when i was trying to get a platinum trophy for AC3. Also, as a Nebraskan, I think Ubisoft Great Plains would be awesome.

DemonLord4lf
02-15-2015, 07:36 AM
The game is suppose to be based on an old board game right? I want to find the guy that invented it and smack him around for creating such a frustrating board game XO

Jackdaw951
02-15-2015, 08:04 AM
Oh, yeah. Now I remember. After learning how unwinnable the damn thing is the hard way, I looked up an online version of the game, and had it play my side . . . aaand . . . it STILL lost the first game. :p The second game, I took over when I saw a clear way to win, before the online game had a chance to screw it up. That ticked the challenge, which is all I wanted. I will never play the blasted thing again.

SixKeys
02-15-2015, 09:41 AM
Those antique board games are truly loathsome, what I don't get is why Assassins don't use Eagle Sense or whatever to cheat. What's the point of having a sixth sense if it can't give you an unfair advantage.

Haha, that's actually brilliant. Wouldn't have suited Connor maybe, but Edward? Edward would totally cheat if he could.

Farlander1991
02-15-2015, 10:04 AM
Haha, that's actually brilliant. Wouldn't have suited Connor maybe, but Edward? Edward would totally cheat if he could.

Well, we already have stealing in ACIII which absolutely doesn't suit Connor (it would suit only for important information like in some of the Liberation missions, but Connor stealing money from pedestrians?! wtf?! And the Animus explanation doesn't work here anymore either, cause there's Thieves Guild challenges for full synchronization, meaning Connor did do that stuff >_< )

SixKeys
02-15-2015, 10:17 AM
Well, we already have stealing in ACIII which absolutely doesn't suit Connor (it would suit only for important information like in some of the Liberation missions, but Connor stealing money from pedestrians?! wtf?! And the Animus explanation doesn't work here anymore either, cause there's Thieves Guild challenges for full synchronization, meaning Connor did do that stuff >_< )

Yeah, AC3 has a ton of gameplay that contradicts the narrative and/or characterization. That's a separate topic though so I won't get into it too much.

Fatal-Feit
02-15-2015, 05:31 PM
I thought you meant the character, lul. =p

AC3 was the beginning of my love for Nine Men's Morris. The game is so fun, I downloaded an app for it.

SixKeys
02-15-2015, 05:35 PM
AC3 was the beginning of my love for Nine Men's Morris. The game is so fun, I downloaded an app for it.

http://i.imgur.com/BGEgjLh.jpg

GoldenBoy9999
02-15-2015, 05:45 PM
Haha, the rage quit in TOKW was hilarious.

We should have had something like that in Black Flag. =p

Fatal-Feit
02-15-2015, 06:02 PM
http://i.imgur.com/BGEgjLh.jpg

I'd be lying if I said I didn't write that to mess with someone. =p

SpiritOfNevaeh
02-15-2015, 07:03 PM
I'm gonna be that girl and say that I love Nine Men's Norris!

Don't be hatin' :p

JustPlainQuirky
02-15-2015, 07:21 PM
I love Nine Men's Morris.

Since the AI uses mathematical probability, it's extremely tough and feels like an actual competitive match. And it all happens casually in a bar. I love it.

Wish Ubi didn't drop board games. Simplistic options such as that made AC3 feel so alive.

Perk89
02-15-2015, 07:59 PM
I'm gonna be that girl and say that I love Nine Men's Norris!

Don't be hatin' :p

Do you also like it when someone takes a super-heated cosmic knife and performs lingchi on you

Perk89
02-15-2015, 08:02 PM

Fanorona at least has a consistent set of rules that don't vary widely and support the computer's archaic never-lose system. The ever-changing rules in Morris vary from "stupid" to "hahaha my disc broke in two how did that happen"

SpiritOfNevaeh
02-15-2015, 08:18 PM
Do you also like it when someone takes a super-heated cosmic knife and performs lingchi on you

> Don't know what that is.

> looks it up: Lingchi (simplified Chinese: 凌迟; traditional Chinese: 凌遲; pinyin: língchí; Wade–Giles: ling-ch'ih, alternately transliterated ling chi or leng t'che), translated variously as death by a thousand cuts (simplified Chinese: 杀千刀; traditional Chinese: 殺千刀) or “千刀万剐”, the slow process, the lingering death, or slow slicing, was a form of torture and execution used in China from roughly AD 900 until it was banned in 1905. In this form of execution, a knife was used to methodically remove portions of the body over an extended period of time, eventually resulting in death. The term "língchí" is derived from a classical description of ascending a mountain slowly. Lingchi was reserved for crimes viewed as especially severe, such as treason, or killing one's parents. The process involved tying the condemned prisoner to a wooden frame, usually in a public place. The flesh was then cut from the body in multiple slices in a process that was not specified in detail in Chinese law, and therefore most likely varied. In later times, opium was sometimes administered either as an act of mercy or as a way of preventing fainting. The punishment worked on three levels: as a form of public humiliation, as a slow and lingering death, and as a punishment after death.

> .............. No :rolleyes:

Perk89
02-15-2015, 08:23 PM

> looks it up: Lingchi (simplified Chinese: 凌迟; traditional Chinese: 凌遲; pinyin: língchí; Wade–Giles: ling-ch'ih, alternately transliterated ling chi or leng t'che), translated variously as death by a thousand cuts (simplified Chinese: 杀千刀; traditional Chinese: 殺千刀) or “千刀万剐”, the slow process, the lingering death, or slow slicing, was a form of torture and execution used in China from roughly AD 900 until it was banned in 1905. In this form of execution, a knife was used to methodically remove portions of the body over an extended period of time, eventually resulting in death. The term "língchí" is derived from a classical description of ascending a mountain slowly. Lingchi was reserved for crimes viewed as especially severe, such as treason, or killing one's parents. The process involved tying the condemned prisoner to a wooden frame, usually in a public place. The flesh was then cut from the body in multiple slices in a process that was not specified in detail in Chinese law, and therefore most likely varied. In later times, opium was sometimes administered either as an act of mercy or as a way of preventing fainting. The punishment worked on three levels: as a form of public humiliation, as a slow and lingering death, and as a punishment after death.

i fail to see what the difference is

ERICATHERINE
02-15-2015, 09:35 PM

I think it would be great, in ac chronicles china if Shao Jun would kill someone doing lingchi. Also, she talked about lingchi and described it in assassin's creed embers.

SixKeys
02-15-2015, 09:57 PM
I think it would be great, in ac chronicles china if Shao Jun would kill someone doing lingchi. Also, she talked about lingchi and described it in assassin's creed embers.

Lolwut? Assassins don't do torture.

JustPlainQuirky
02-15-2015, 10:00 PM

that's not true

SixKeys
02-15-2015, 10:06 PM
that's not true

How so?

JustPlainQuirky
02-15-2015, 11:04 PM
How so?

There's no given rule saying they can't.

Besides, Connor twisted a man's arm to get him to talk

Not a big one I know, but also I recall some moment when assasssins take someone hostage and say are using means to get info out of him (implied torture)

cant remember where, though. maybe a novel.

googling now.

Namikaze_17
02-15-2015, 11:08 PM
I'm sure William and some MD Assassins do it right?

I remember something on Initiates of him suggesting to do it.

EDIT: Well...they interrogate. But this could also mean torture.

JustPlainQuirky
02-15-2015, 11:10 PM
That might be it.

Then again it's initiates and I don't touch initiates with a 320984023984039840982904820948203948 foot poll...

SixKeys
02-15-2015, 11:29 PM

Not a big one I know, but also I recall some moment when assasssins take someone hostage and say are using means to get info out of him (implied torture)

googling now.

There's a big difference between twisting someone's arm and slowly carving their insides out, just saying.

JustPlainQuirky
02-15-2015, 11:31 PM
like i said its one of the more weaker arguments

the other one i need to find the source for.

but regardless there's no creed saying no torture

SixKeys
02-15-2015, 11:34 PM
like i said its one of the more weaker arguments

the other one i need to find the source for.

but regardless there's no creed saying no torture

Perhaps, but I can't see Shao Jun or any protagonist we're supposed to see as the hero doing torture.

JustPlainQuirky
02-15-2015, 11:36 PM
Well, not to get too into politics but I'm pro-waterboarding and stuff when it comes to terrorists so I don't find all torture methods inhumane. Especially when the victims are inherently monsters.

So for me personally it's no big deal.

But I understand why others would be turned off by it

SixKeys
02-16-2015, 12:39 AM
Well, not to get too into politics but I'm pro-waterboarding and stuff when it comes to terrorists so I don't find all torture methods inhumane. Especially when the victims are inherently monsters.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view6/2756814/walks-away-slowly-o.gif

JustPlainQuirky
02-16-2015, 01:14 AM
This is why I keep most my political views to myself :rolleyes:

Shahkulu101
02-16-2015, 01:19 AM
Isn't there a scene in Lineage where Uberto has a guy on a torture wheel to get some sort of information and Giovanni just stands there?

JustPlainQuirky
02-16-2015, 01:20 AM
Isn't there a scene in Lineage where Uberto has a guy on a torture wheel to get some sort of information and Giovanni just stands there?

that might be what i was thinking

yeah thats the one

SixKeys
02-16-2015, 01:46 AM

That scene could possibly be explained by the idea that Giovanni trusted Uberto to do what was right because he thought Uberto was a good man.

ERICATHERINE
02-16-2015, 07:22 PM

I did not say that SHAO JUN would do the lingchi, I said I hope A PERSON SHE SHE WOULD KILLED would do the lingchi. :rolleyes:
Sorry if you misunderstood.

ERICATHERINE
02-16-2015, 07:25 PM

googling now.

I remember Giovanni doing that sort of thing, in assassin's creed lineage.

ERICATHERINE
02-16-2015, 07:28 PM
that might be what i was thinking

yeah thats the one

Sorry, I didn't read that yet.

Fatal-Feit
02-16-2015, 07:43 PM
I remember Giovanni doing that sort of thing, in assassin's creed lineage.

It was the Medici, not Giovanni.

ERICATHERINE
02-17-2015, 12:35 AM

I was talking about him CAPTURING someone, for that person to be tortured. I never said Giovanni have been torturing that someone.:rolleyes: I have assassin's creed lineage on bluray and I clearly have seen that while that guy, Which (if I remember correctly) was Francesco de Pazzi, was being tortured, Giovanni was going to try saving Sforsa from death.

Assassin_M
02-17-2015, 12:37 AM
Assassins do torture. Nikolai and his brothers tortured Dronski.

On topic: I loved Morris. One of the best distractions in AC III.

wvstolzing
02-17-2015, 12:49 AM

And the real-historical Medici were torturers, not to mention the many public mutilations in the aftermath of the Pazzi conspiracy.

Real-life Jacopo Pazzi was disinterred from his grave two weeks after his execution by a probably Medici-fed group of thugs, and dragged through the entire city until it fell apart.

It's weird that the short film kinda-sorta acknowledges this lovely little hobby of 'Il Magnifico', while in-game he's 'our buddy/one of the good guys/patron of everything that's noble and beautiful', etc.

+1 for the Dr. Insano reference, by the way.
And someone here needs a lesson on the meaning of the concept 'human rights' -- most disappointing.

SixKeys
02-17-2015, 03:23 AM
It's weird that the short film kinda-sorta acknowledges this lovely little hobby of 'Il Magnifico', while in-game he's 'our buddy/one of the good guys/patron of everything that's noble and beautiful', etc.

I agree, Lorenzo should have been portrayed differently in the game. He was clearly manipulating Ezio but this is never addressed. Just makes you wonder how many of those assassination targets appointed to Ezio weren't really corrupt but just political opponents Lorenzo wanted out of the way.

I guess you could argue that Ezio doesn't know what Lorenzo does in his spare time, but it does make Ezio seem incredibly naive that he runs errands for Lorenzo for like 20 years without anyone ever telling him the guy is a bit of a tosser.

DemonLord4lf
02-17-2015, 03:29 AM
Pardon me, assassin interrogator coming through folks.
http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120706211733/thebatmananimatedseries/images/1/12/Insane_Joker.jpg

LoyalACFan
02-17-2015, 07:10 AM
I agree, Lorenzo should have been portrayed differently in the game. He was clearly manipulating Ezio but this is never addressed. Just makes you wonder how many of those assassination targets appointed to Ezio weren't really corrupt but just political opponents Lorenzo wanted out of the way.

I guess you could argue that Ezio doesn't know what Lorenzo does in his spare time, but it does make Ezio seem incredibly naive that he runs errands for Lorenzo for like 20 years without anyone ever telling him the guy is a bit of a tosser.

I feel like he was only loyal to Lorenzo because his father was. AC2 pretty much revolved around finishing Giovanni's work. Plus, when the rest of Giovanni's "friends" had turned on him, Lorenzo was still in Ezio's corner. That's got to count for something.

But yeah, by the time we got to Venice it was blatantly obvious that he was just using Ezio for trivialities. Like killing the mercenary who hired an artist to decorate his crypt... so Lorenzo could use that artist to decorate his own. At least he had the decency to stop when he realized he had put Ezio in danger.

Anykeyer
02-17-2015, 07:33 AM
I hated 9 men version of morris in AC3 bc it was too simple, its nearly impossible to lose if you never make mistakes, and expert AI hardly made any wrong moves. So you could go back and forth for hours before you finally beat it.
But in AC4 they somehow tweaked AI and it became the fastest way to farm for challenge, at least for me it was way easier than experts in other board games.

SixKeys
02-17-2015, 06:11 PM
Checkers was the easiest way to win in AC4, at least for me. Especially in Havana.

JustPlainQuirky
02-17-2015, 06:14 PM
sucks how unity has seamless interiors but dont take advantage by adding interior content like board games and such.

would have been cool if the houses were super interactable

but this is a single step forward. interior seamless navigation is still new to AC and the gaming industry as well.

We'll see more progress eventually.

Namikaze_17
02-17-2015, 06:25 PM
Checkers was the easiest way to win in AC4, at least for me. Especially in Havana.

Truest words said today.

http://i.imgur.com/4QKoq.gif

SixKeys
02-17-2015, 08:03 PM
sucks how unity has seamless interiors but dont take advantage by adding interior content like board games and such.

would have been cool if the houses were super interactable

but this is a single step forward. interior seamless navigation is still new to AC and the gaming industry as well.

We'll see more progress eventually.

What other "interior content" could there be? The board games seem not to have been a big hit with most players, I for one am glad they're gone. What else is there they could insert to make interiors more interesting? They're....well, interiors. Most houses tend not to be very exciting.

wvstolzing
02-17-2015, 08:24 PM
The *people* inside those 'interiors' could have displayed a wider range of behavior. I like it that they gasp, point at you, etc., when you hop into their rooms from an open window; but continuing the age-old tradition, they don't seem to care when you open their chests and pick their locks right beneath their noses. I'd expect a few people to panic, try to fight you, maybe go out to get the guards, yell out of a window for help, etc. And once people in a neighborhood realize that there's a guy jumping in and out of their apartments, they'd lock their doors and close their windows -- things like that.

Fatal-Feit
02-18-2015, 12:20 AM
I sort of miss fist fighting civilians. It was a useless feature, but pleasant non-the-less. That said, something that would have been neat was some interaction between civilians and police (sort of like Watch_Dogs). They would call for help if you stay in there home for too long, caught you killing another, etc, etc.

JustPlainQuirky
02-18-2015, 12:25 AM
What other "interior content" could there be? The board games seem not to have been a big hit with most players, I for one am glad they're gone. What else is there they could insert to make interiors more interesting? They're....well, interiors. Most houses tend not to be very exciting.

sitting on a chair and listening to an old man's story. examining a bookcase and choosing books to read. examine a piece of art with a close up camera prompt. rest in a bed. blow out a candle. accidentally knock down a vase. close/open a window. really minor interactions but really add to atmosphere. I'd love for one day to have open world games have interaction levels as complex as the sims.

but thats just a minor preference and is by no means required to provide an overall good AC experience.

Also what wvstolzing said

Anykeyer
02-18-2015, 07:56 AM

Were there any expert players in Havana? I dont remember. In AC4 you can win much more money at once if you play against an expert player. Playing vs checkers expert is a pain, that **** always tries to create a stalemate, making only perfect moves. Morris expert makes much more mistakes in AC4.

wvstolzing
02-18-2015, 08:06 AM
Any pazaak players, by the way? :rolleyes:

I completely suck at board games, and have 0 competence in card games; so I'll avoid them whenever I can.

SLOWDIVE21
02-18-2015, 08:11 PM
Somehow the AI gets smarter on this game when I place the max bet. I can normally win 99% of the time. Now I am trying to complete the challenge and I am playing on beginner and I am losing almost every game. The computer keeps locking down the middle box. IT is definatley adjusting its tactics and there is no way that this is a "beginner setting". It does the same exact thing when I play it on "expert".

Perk89
02-18-2015, 08:19 PM
Somehow the AI gets smarter on this game when I place the max bet. I can normally win 99% of the time. Now I am trying to complete the challenge and I am playing on beginner and I am losing almost every game. The computer keeps locking down the middle box. IT is definatley adjusting its tactics and there is no way that this is a "beginner setting". It does the same exact thing when I play it on "expert".

I figured out an excellent stratagem for that situation. I called it "not playing Morris"

Perk89
02-18-2015, 08:26 PM

I agree with a lot of of what JPQ said last.

Frankly I don't even care all that much about seamless interiors if there isn't even any reason to go in the building-and I certainly don't mean collectables.

Things like games, actual shops, AC4esque taverns, plays, and a host of other things akin to stuff like that is what I want to see. A billion interiors that are a pain to enter (read: windows) frustrating to navigate (it's amazing how many Parisian multiple story buildings don't have stairs of any sort) and pointless to be in (by which I mean are either empty, have a stupid collectable that I have to waste time searching for, or are just meaningless overall).

id rather see less interiors with more to do than the inverse of that. Which is what we got in Unity.

DemonLord4lf
02-18-2015, 08:30 PM

So you're saying the AI is a hustler?

SLOWDIVE21
02-18-2015, 11:00 PM
So you're saying the AI is a hustler?

I'm pretty sure it is hustling me...or adjusting the difficulty based on the wager amount rather than the label of "beginner", "intermediate", etc. ;)

It found a method I can't win against and it uses it even on beginner now. Before I could use a basic corners method against the "beginner" setting.

I'll probably just have to mimic its moves to see how to counter it.

Fanorona is the game that I have trouble with. Beating that on expert on AC 3 was brutal.