PDA

View Full Version : [Idea?] Something I've been keeping to myself for a while

thedispenser333
02-11-2015, 10:03 PM
Hello. I just recently made a Uplay account, but I've been an Assassin's Creed fan for much longer. For a while now, ever since I purchased Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood on the PC, as well as having purchased plenty of Valve's games via Steam, I think this idea I'm about to give may be self-explanatory; The SDK for the Assassin's Creed games should be released for each individual Assassin's Creed game. I talked this over with a friend, who brought up a valid point. He said that Ubisoft was afraid people would pirate the engine. However, I will explain and give a quick solution to this fear.

Game-Specific Engine.
Each Engine for the games have to be inaccessible from the user unless they have the game required for the Engine they want to use. Similar to Valve's way of locking Source SDK from use unless the user has Half-Life 2 or a game that includes Source and the essentials.

Why is it a good idea?
The community is creative. If you look at Valve's games' community, you'll see that they have made a great amount of mods, games and similar such things, all using Valve's Source Engine and tools. Imagine the possibilities of mods for an Assassin's Creed game.

Engine Cost.
I believe the Engine should be free for those who have purchased the game necessary for the Engine to function, again similar to Valve's way of giving access to the Source Engine.

That is all I have to write for this thread. Thanks for reading!

strigoi1958
02-11-2015, 11:42 PM
No good for myself and gamers... because I don't really have any use for it.... it's more for people like my brother... he's never played IL2 or Silent Service but he has lost months of his life making missions and skins.... but then again I don't think he's ever needed the engine to do it... FC4 has an editor anyway....

Plus I've used mods in games that have caused bugs and I really don't think we want any more of those...;)

I don't think it will ever happen but I wish you luck.

jeffies04
02-12-2015, 07:01 AM
I would love to make AC content, but I don't think they're ever going to do it. Not really sure why, perhaps it's more technical than the other engines, who knows.

I don't think they want any of their behind-the-scenes of their Anvil[next] engine to be seen by other developers. It is pretty unique.

wichking
02-12-2015, 01:22 PM
The engine itself isnt the best out to date. The reason they dont allow mods its because as you said the community is creative. Ppl would mod time areas which the ppl want and if ubi brings this era it wont be so hyped. For an instance they have to work more to make theirs better. But as we know about Ubisoft they prefer the easy way. I myself would love to to see mods and new cities and stuff but this will remain a dream until something changes at ubisoft

thedispenser333
02-12-2015, 06:37 PM
No good for myself and gamers... because I don't really have any use for it.... it's more for people like my brother... he's never played IL2 or Silent Service but he has lost months of his life making missions and skins.... but then again I don't think he's ever needed the engine to do it... FC4 has an editor anyway....

Plus I've used mods in games that have caused bugs and I really don't think we want any more of those...

I don't think it will ever happen but I wish you luck.

Thank you for your response. However, I don't see your point. Mods cause bugs, so what? If you played the Assassin's Creed games, then you'd know we already have plenty of bugs. As for your brother, yes, he needs an engine to make mods for games that use an engine.

I would love to make AC content, but I don't think they're ever going to do it. Not really sure why, perhaps it's more technical than the other engines, who knows.

I don't think they want any of their behind-the-scenes of their Anvil[next] engine to be seen by other developers. It is pretty unique.

From what I understand, Ubisoft's business is kind of shady. They don't like anyone knowing what's going on unless they have something finished-looking to show. It's like that for a lot of game companies, however some, such as Valve, encourage people to look into what they're doing. I think Ubisoft should adopt a Valve model and let people know what's happening. For instance, releasing the Engines for the games they've already released. Game companies like Valve, Rockstar, Running With Scissors and Bethesda let the players use their editors/engines and create community content as they please. Why shouldn't Ubisoft? The response I'm gonna probably hear the most is "Because they want money". Let's be honest though, every game company wants to make money. Valve, EA, Rockstar, and every other game company. Some care about happy customers, like Valve. But that's beside the point. As for the Anvil engine being more "technical", I remember seeing some footage of them using it to make AC: Unity. It looks more like the Hammer Editor from Valve's Source Engine to me. But we'll never know until we get our hands on it.

The engine itself isnt the best out to date. The reason they dont allow mods its because as you said the community is creative. Ppl would mod time areas which the ppl want and if ubi brings this era it wont be so hyped. For an instance they have to work more to make theirs better. But as we know about Ubisoft they prefer the easy way. I myself would love to to see mods and new cities and stuff but this will remain a dream until something changes at ubisoft

I'm hoping Ubisoft will have a change of heart eventually myself. Though they've made some great games, some greater things could come if they let the community be creative.

wichking
02-12-2015, 10:14 PM
i hope for that change but that change may only come if they change their CEO. With the current one i doubt it.

strigoi1958
02-13-2015, 12:20 AM
my point was right there... and as you said we already have plenty of bugs ;) if you run back through 3,4 or even the last 50 pages you'll see nothing but complaints about bugs... and compounding problems with 3rd party files and mods would make the already-busy-support teams life even harder and why would ubi do that ?
There are already problems caused by conflicting programs like sweetfx

I do not know what you mean by "shady" unless you mean they are secretive about their work and that is just good business.... wanting something for free and then being less than graceful is not going to help... although I understand that is not your point of view, just what you have been led to understand but repeating it will not help.

It's probably more a case of why should they ? rather than why shouldn't they release their engine ? I cannot think of a reason why someone would hand over something that costs them money because a few people want to tinker with their games..... and just because another company does something... not all others have to follow suit.

They can put in game editors which they have done with FC4 and I think that is all my brother used with the games he mods.. that and putting the skins, audio files etc into specific folders. At least that way they can have some control over the few who are more interested in tinkering than playing.

There are other things to consider as well..... such as, there are some very old games that still have a big following with modders and they tend to stay with those games, what financial impact does it have on gaming when people are still playing a 10 year old game on old PC's ? the pc gaming market is dwarfed by console game sales and encouraging people to stay with just 1 game for a long time might not be great... I'm sure there are a lot of companies who are not overjoyed at making a game for the PC and as such probably do not want to put a lot of effort into porting it over to a small PC market... losing sales over here because people are still playing an old game would not just be bad for them... it could be bad for all of us PC owners.......

And they could be competing against themselves... why incorporate special weapons and outfits in a game or limited edition when other people are modding better weapons and different armour etc ?

If you want it so much you should make a case for it with reasons why it would be beneficial to everyone including Ubi .... but implying being shady, or stating that it should be done just because others do it... will not help, but the creative community is a start.

Again.. no use to me.. I'm too busy playing the games and moving on to the next... there are a lot of games and never enough free time to even use a mod let alone try to make one.:D

thedispenser333
02-13-2015, 02:48 AM
my point was right there... and as you said we already have plenty of bugs if you run back through 3,4 or even the last 50 pages you'll see nothing but complaints about bugs... and compounding problems with 3rd party files and mods would make the already-busy-support teams life even harder and why would ubi do that ?
There are already problems caused by conflicting programs like sweetfx

I do not know what you mean by "shady" unless you mean they are secretive about their work and that is just good business.... wanting something for free and then being less than graceful is not going to help... although I understand that is not your point of view, just what you have been led to understand but repeating it will not help.

It's probably more a case of why should they ? rather than why shouldn't they release their engine ? I cannot think of a reason why someone would hand over something that costs them money because a few people want to tinker with their games..... and just because another company does something... not all others have to follow suit.

They can put in game editors which they have done with FC4 and I think that is all my brother used with the games he mods.. that and putting the skins, audio files etc into specific folders. At least that way they can have some control over the few who are more interested in tinkering than playing.

There are other things to consider as well..... such as, there are some very old games that still have a big following with modders and they tend to stay with those games, what financial impact does it have on gaming when people are still playing a 10 year old game on old PC's ? the pc gaming market is dwarfed by console game sales and encouraging people to stay with just 1 game for a long time might not be great... I'm sure there are a lot of companies who are not overjoyed at making a game for the PC and as such probably do not want to put a lot of effort into porting it over to a small PC market... losing sales over here because people are still playing an old game would not just be bad for them... it could be bad for all of us PC owners.......

And they could be competing against themselves... why incorporate special weapons and outfits in a game or limited edition when other people are modding better weapons and different armour etc ?

If you want it so much you should make a case for it with reasons why it would be beneficial to everyone including Ubi .... but implying being shady, or stating that it should be done just because others do it... will not help, but the creative community is a start.

Again.. no use to me.. I'm too busy playing the games and moving on to the next... there are a lot of games and never enough free time to even use a mod let alone try to make one.
Oh boy, where to even begin?
How do I explain this to someone of your.. intellect? Lemme dumb it down a bit.
Community content, good. No release engine, bad. Ubisoft no want community make content. Ubisoft shady, yes. Game can be better if community make content, yes. Player need be creative, yes.

For those of you who are smart, let me speak as if I was addressing someone who wasn't Stroi. I have already established why they should; Because the community can make a game even better than it already is, or add onto it to have more content. A game made to last longer by the community is always a better game in my opinion. How do you think Team Fortress 2, which was made in 2007, is still lasting today and played constantly by many people? Moving on, Stroi's brother did need the engine for the games he supposedly edited, otherwise he couldn't have done anything with it. I won't argue with Stroi further, nor will I converse further with him. I see him as a troll right now, seeing as he's the only one so far who's yet to see the error of his grammar, reasoning and organization. Not to mention his "Point".

Moving onto something more intelligent;

i hope for that change but that change may only come if they change their CEO. With the current one i doubt it.

I agree, I think a change in management should be in order. If not, then there is no way we're getting any community content besides Texmod skins.

strigoi1958
02-13-2015, 03:19 AM
Ha ha thanks that made my day ;)

So someone points out a few things and doesn't agree with you they are below your intellect and a troll when you receive a question you cannot answer............. Flaming is the quickest way to get yourself banned and your threads locked

You saying something is good does not make it good.... you saying a community wants something when it is you and less than 0.0001 % of people doesn't make you in the right

why is it bad to not release an engine ? :D

put forward a reason not just I want it... big companies are bad not giving me free things... want it that badly... be nice or buy it ask them if it is for sale...

MY brother is 70 and doesn't even know how a car engine works let alone a game engine so unless you know him do not state your assumptions as fact.

my point and I'll repeat it in case you missed it the 2 times I pointed it out and the 1 time you mentioned it was bugs... nobody wants any more and the opportunity exists to create more...

2 things you do raise... "Player need be creative, yes" No... player need be play creators need to creative (I think that's self explanatory) :D

"is always a better game in my opinion" that is all it is YOUR OPINION.. nothing more.... I still wish you well but I don't blame you for not answering me.... whenever someone poses me questions to which I cannot give a rational response.... I find it difficult but I never resort to childish name calling :D

thedispenser333
02-13-2015, 04:05 PM
Excuse my double-post, but apparently Rockstar had the engine for GTA IV released before I even knew. The more you know. Now that I think about it, I could have just edited my original post.. Oh well.