PDA

View Full Version : Things the AC devs should fix in future games.

similarly
02-11-2015, 02:23 PM
1. Initiates. Either fix it or don't have it.
2. Companion apps: just don't do it.
3. Riddles. Some of us aren't good at these riddles and don't want to spend time reading all the BS you guys wrote about all the famous landmarks in Paris. Give us a clue where to look. The city is big. Put down a green circle or something. Narrow it down for us.
4. Helix Rift Artifacts. Either give us a map for the rift so we can find it, or put it on the path so we can find it, and DON'T do this BS of having us play the SAME rift 8 times just to collect all the artifacts and DON'T have artifacts that appear and disappear. You have NO idea how frustrating it is. I'd like to get the Altair outfit, but even though I paid for your ridiculous companion app, NOW I have to go on your wild-goose-chase grinding marathon playing "hunt the tiny artifact in a big map on a countdown timer while dodging tornados". So playing the companion app was pointless because anything I could get from it is still locked behind a stupid grindfest.
5. Make sure your game works before you release it. I still can't equip the Dead Kings Weapons.

MoonlitVegas
02-12-2015, 05:04 PM
I agree with you in every regard bar the puzzles. I love the puzzles in the game, especially AC:U ones - Being an historian too helped of course, but if you read all the datebase entries as you unlock them it makes it far less daunting.

However I do understand some people might not want to, so how about assassin creed 2 type of puzzles? They were fun

wichking
02-12-2015, 07:26 PM
The puzzles were great. A nice opportunity to learn abit about paris. and noone forces you to do them. If you lack the info iam sure you can find every puzzle in the web.
However some puzzles with pictures and codes like in AC 2 would be awesome aswell. Liked that conspiracy stuff

Lignjoslav
02-12-2015, 10:14 PM
I don't agree with with your stance on Nostradamus Enigmas. They are completely optional and offer no gameplay affecting reward, merely a purely cosmetic outfit for the main character. Assassin's Creed, as a series, deals with history, secrets and hidden or lost knowledge. The Enigmas fit into that beautifully, while remaining essentially marginal for those who are more action oriented, so it's a win-win.

I also disagree with the notion that every single collectible has to be drawn on a map and the player led to it by the hand. Apart from being highly unrealistic, where is the challenge and achievement in that?! [in GLaDOS voice]: "Congratulations on finding this ancient artifact that was so well hidden underneath that big mark that we put on your map." Reminds me of these:

http://pbskids.org/zoboo/mysteryanimal/connectdots/images/imgdots03.gif

Rift artifacts I might agree on. Rift missions in general seem to be made to force the player to re-do the same thing over and over again, long after it stopped being fun: you need to do them 3 times in order to get all of the assassin intel. Then you need to keep grinding until you find all the artifacts. And as if that's not enough, only one of the 3-4 artifacts "spawns" per playthrough, completely randomly. If the missions themselves had enough replay value, that wouldn't be so frustrating, but once you've done them a couple of times, they just aren't fun, so collecting artifacts turns into a chore that doesn't require any particular skill, but rather lots of grinding (and a wee bit of luck), instead of being a proper challenge (which would require skill or wit).

I'd also like to see some bits of gameplay mechanics that are so obviously missing compared to the previous installments. This is the most stealth oriented AC so far, yet the first one that doesn't allow you to move bodies (which is the mechanic used to both conceal your activities and create distractions). The inability to pick up dropped weapons is also strange.

Also, give us back the %#$!%@ additional save slots!

Anykeyer
02-13-2015, 07:29 AM
Nostradamus enigmas were super boring, and its a very bad way to encourage database reading. If you want to make players read your database make it interesting. So far only AC2 and AC3 were really fun to read, Unity is so so, all other games would be better w/o that feature at all.

I also disagree with the notion that every single collectible has to be drawn on a map and the player led to it by the hand.
AC gone way too far with collectibles. In Unity they make no sense. Who put all those cocades and hats everywhere? Why do you get Napoleons outfit after collecting all his hats? AC2 had stuff like this explained through cutscenes, ACU devs didnt even bother. Most of the chests in Paris are in poor people houses, yet Arno has no issues looting them. Actually its encouraged, you wont get 100% sync otherwise. Seriously, WTF.

MAOofDC
02-13-2015, 09:12 AM
1. Initiates. Either fix it or don't have it.
2. Companion apps: just don't do it.
3. Riddles. Some of us aren't good at these riddles and don't want to spend time reading all the BS you guys wrote about all the famous landmarks in Paris. Give us a clue where to look. The city is big. Put down a green circle or something. Narrow it down for us.
4. Helix Rift Artifacts. Either give us a map for the rift so we can find it, or put it on the path so we can find it, and DON'T do this BS of having us play the SAME rift 8 times just to collect all the artifacts and DON'T have artifacts that appear and disappear. You have NO idea how frustrating it is. I'd like to get the Altair outfit, but even though I paid for your ridiculous companion app, NOW I have to go on your wild-goose-chase grinding marathon playing "hunt the tiny artifact in a big map on a countdown timer while dodging tornados". So playing the companion app was pointless because anything I could get from it is still locked behind a stupid grindfest.
5. Make sure your game works before you release it. I still can't equip the Dead Kings Weapons.

I quoted this so that I can go through it point by point.

1. I agree with that statement. You guys took it offline for the X-mas holidays and here it is Feb. 13 and it is still offline. Fix it or get rid of it.

2. NEVER MAKE THE COMPANION APP REQUIRED FOR 100% SYNC AGAIN!!! Having a companion app is a cool concept but I, and others, don't want to be forced to use it to get 100%. Especially since it doesn't work on every smart phone. My phone is a couple of years old and the damn app is competently unplayable on it because it keeps crashing. I have to use my computer to play it which means I'm not playing the main game. Also it feels like a blatant money grab with the micro-transactions.

3. I have mixed feelings about this. While I see the OPs point it would also make them very easy unless you green circle is VERY large.

4. A map of the rifts would be nice to have in general and pretty much necessary with the timed aspect of the rifts. If i'm trying to get the data, save the guy AND get extra data, I have no time to look for the artifacts. If you don't want it to be to easy have the map populated just like every other map if you don't see it or it wasn't in range of the Eagle Vision it doesn't appear on the map.

5. If you are selling the game in pre-order the game should be fairly ready when released. I know that problems crop up and that is fine but there were WAY too many problem with the release of the main game. So much so you had to give away the Dead Kings DLC AND another game. The irony is the DLC has almost and many problem as the main game. With the weapons you can't equip without going through some crazy workaround and the achievements that go unrewarded even though you did the acheivement.

similarly
02-13-2015, 10:52 AM
For #3: I understand where you guys are coming from, but I work up to 12 hours a day, 5, 6 and sometimes 7 days a week. I just want to play a game, not spend a whole bunch of time reading about the sites of Paris. Still, I get what you're saying.

#5, I had way more trouble with DK than with the main game.

Still, I was thinking about this the other day, and I can kinda understand Ubisoft's problem. If they beta test in-house, they can't really anticipate all the hardware configs that might come up or cause problems. Out of date drivers and firmware, for example. On the other hand, if they have an open beta, they risk one or more beta testers releasing screenshots, gameplay video, or even uploading a torrent before the game is released. It's no wonder some devs don't want to do open betas or even large closed betas.

Lignjoslav
02-13-2015, 12:26 PM
... AC gone way too far with collectibles. In Unity they make no sense. Who put all those cocades and hats everywhere? Why do you get Napoleons outfit after collecting all his hats? AC2 had stuff like this explained through cutscenes, ACU devs didnt even bother. Most of the chests in Paris are in poor people houses, yet Arno has no issues looting them. Actually its encouraged, you wont get 100% sync otherwise. Seriously, WTF.Fair point about the chests, although, to be fair, they never made that much sense (in all previous games since ACII they were mostly found left outside people's homes, often poor people's as well). I agree that the feathers in AC II were likely the most meaningful collectible in the whole series.

... Still, I was thinking about this the other day, and I can kinda understand Ubisoft's problem. If they beta test in-house, they can't really anticipate all the hardware configs that might come up or cause problems....AFAIK, there were few PC specific problems with the game. The "too many configurations" excuse is just not valid if the very same issue exists on a console. It's also not valid when a particular game has a lot more issues than is normal. Also, they've failed at some very basic things, such as synchronizing data between the companion app and the main game. You finish a mission in the companion app, it writes down that a reward is now accessible to you, you start the main game, it loads the data, so how hard it is to read the record and make a chest unlocked, FFS?!