PDA

View Full Version : Is it me or does Unity have the shortest story length?

Defalt221
02-11-2015, 12:54 PM
I don't know. It feels like very short in comparison to AC2 and AC3 which were really long. And being confined in Paris and Versailles for the whole game makes it feel less of an adventure. I don't know about you guys...

dimbismp
02-11-2015, 01:47 PM
I agree with you.It really felt short,though not the shortest:that title is ACR's (imo).
The major reason about the length of the main game was that each sequence had 2-3 missions,while AC4,for example,had 4-6.So,even though each ACU mission was far longer than a Ac4 one,the story length was shorter.Most importantly,though,the small amount of missions resulted in not so good character progression etc (IMO).
Another thing that bothered me about the story length is that the overly advertised reign of terror lasted only 1 sequence.If someone wished to see how things were during that period,he had to play some coop missions.But the thing is that the coop missions did not unlock chronologically....

VestigialLlama4
02-11-2015, 02:12 PM
Length and runtime has to do with pacing rather than numbers of missions and story sequences. I mean AC1 has fewer missions than AC2 but it takes about as long to complete.

The main thing with UNITY is that the story is so rushed you don't really get to know or interact with characters aside from Arno and Elise, and Pierre Bellec among the supporting characters. The villains don't have time to really make a mark. The real problem with UNITY is that the first section is really extended and long, I mean the events from the opening to Mirabeau's death and confrontation is like a mini-story on its own.The worst offender is Sequence 6(2 easy non-Assassination missions), which largely deals with Arno's reunion with Elise.

This part actually plays well enough and it has good pacing but the really exciting part of the Revolution 1792-1794, comes after that which means a good seven out of 12 sequences cover the first three largely event-free period of the Revolution but that leaves 5 tiny sequences to cover the really complex, mind-boggling explosive part of the Revolution.

Ideally what they could have done is ended the game with the execution of the King which is a proper climax to the specific (and appallingly stupid I must add) plot they chose. And put the Reign of Terror on a large campaign DLC (a la Bonfire of the Vanities).

SixKeys
02-11-2015, 05:17 PM
Rogue is probably the shortest, being only 6 sequences long.

DemonLord4lf
02-11-2015, 10:56 PM
Rogue is probably the shortest, being only 6 sequences long.

But yet it seems to have a lot more love and respect from fans then unity is getting.

SixKeys
02-11-2015, 11:25 PM
But yet it seems to have a lot more love and respect from fans then unity is getting.

Probably because it's basically a Black Flag clone. It benefits from basing its gameplay on a tried and tested formula with few glitches. Unity did a lot of things from scratch and suffered for it.

Megas_Doux
02-11-2015, 11:57 PM

Cause ships!!!!!!!!!!

Naval gameplay is the most recognizable mechanic in this franchise after parkour and thatīs sad, not because I dislike naval, but mostly because it shows how underdeveloped are things like "conventional" stealth and social stealth...Besides Rogue flew under the radar having bare no none publicity and thus, EXPECTATIONS. Whereas Unity was way more promoted and letīs not mention its awful release.

Oh, and then we have the "oh no, combat is too hard in Unity, guards kills me and I cant carry 854905890850398 units of ammo/tools for they are too expensive" trend.....

Altair1789
02-12-2015, 02:31 AM
Cause ships!!!!!!!!!!

Naval gameplay is the most recognizable mechanic in this franchise after parkour and thatīs sad, not because I dislike naval, but mostly because it shows how underdeveloped are things like "conventional" stealth and social stealth...Besides Rogue flew under the radar having bare no none publicity and thus, EXPECTATIONS. Whereas Unity was way more promoted and letīs not mention its awful release.

Oh, and then we have the "oh no, combat is too hard in Unity, guards kills me and I cant carry 854905890850398 units of ammo/tools for they are too expensive" trend.....

I think the respect is coming more from how well rounded it was.The story was a bit short, but it was still good. The gameplay, while recycled, was refined and familiar. And since a lot of people couldn't look past the bugs, when put side to side with Unity, it looked like a very good game, but there's still definitely heavy influence from the expectations and the change in combat

bitebug2003
02-12-2015, 05:04 AM
I liked AC:Rogue and I liked AC: Unity (despite the excesses).

But I do agree that the sequences are getting shorter, and I think going back to the lengths, scope/story of the ACII sequences is probably never going to happen.
Modern day has been lacklustre with silly minigames and copious amounts of textual information and audio logs which has started to become overbearing in nature that it has lost all its spark of the Desmond era.

In general games are getting shorter with most consisting of padding (collectibles and other meaningless content like tacked on multiplayer) affecting the length of the main game.

Apparently The Order:1886 is pretty short too

This is my view on current gaming trends and I think it's a shame :(

DemonLord4lf
02-12-2015, 05:54 AM
I liked AC:Rogue and I liked AC: Unity (despite the excesses).

But I do agree that the sequences are getting shorter, and I think going back to the lengths, scope/story of the ACII sequences is probably never going to happen.
Modern day has been lacklustre with silly minigames and copious amounts of textual information and audio logs which has started to become overbearing in nature that it has lost all its spark of the Desmond era.

In general games are getting shorter with most consisting of padding (collectibles and other meaningless content like tacked on multiplayer) affecting the length of the main game.

Apparently The Order:1886 is pretty short too

This is my view on current gaming trends and I think it's a shame :(

The game you mentioned is a FPS. They're not suppose to have a very big storyline. Adventure games such as AC are suppose to have massive storylines. In my opinion, those who get FPS games get them for the MP aspect and not the story.

I want AC to have rich full story lines again. If that means multiple games for the same character then so be it. However, just shoving out a game every year doesn't do it for me. Ubisoft needs to really calm down and make sure their games are the way they want them to be. This trend of releasing a game every year is starting to bite them in the behind. Doing so, is going to wear out the gamer. Combat was fine, but they made so many games using the same combat system that people started getting irritated with it. It's next to impossible to fully innovate a game within a year from the last one being done. Give your developers time to work out all the bugs and get the game the way they want it to be.

SuomiKissa
02-12-2015, 07:04 AM
bitebug2003 - you are at the heart of the matter and nicely said.

In a couple of AC game has gone to the game content begins to influence the hasty, easy and cheap, a pile of fire. AC-U can see clearly how the map of Paris, has invested in and pakour movement, but the other is then quickly made on the story, the additional tasks to the quality of the game has clearly suffered. That looks beautiful, but as a game medium.
Not to big not required to draw the pattern on the wall and running the other wall seeking a new pattern that you get something to read documents in place of ( I want to game, I do not read, for it is the books). The murder of a mysterious and side positions people just are standing stiff and tips, then comes the page. (What is missing animations for them?) I think this type of work is a gross underestimation of the players.
I would prefer better quality and that the game takes into account the target audience to whom it is directed (K-18), so also the difficulty level and the intellectual requirement they should. Now the game seems to be a children's game, because the tasks are ridiculously easy.

rdt232323
02-12-2015, 07:17 AM
Does anyone know how to get out of the Dead Kings section of the game and return to Paris?

bitebug2003
02-12-2015, 12:48 PM
The
The game you mentioned is a FPS. They're not suppose to have a very big storyline. Adventure games such as AC are suppose to have massive storylines. In my opinion, those who get FPS games get them for the MP aspect and not the story.

It's actually a 3rd Person shooter - and the developers said they wanted to focus on the storyline - but the game can be completed in less than a day which sucks for that type of game :(

AC should be like Arkham City/Origins in scope but it isn't.

Does anyone know how to get out of the Dead Kings section of the game and return to Paris?

You have to complete the first memory of Dead Kings and then you can travel back to Paris (look for a P on the map)

Defalt221
02-12-2015, 05:23 PM

Because of being less buggy and glitch y.

DemonLord4lf
02-13-2015, 06:42 PM
The

It's actually a 3rd Person shooter - and the developers said they wanted to focus on the storyline - but the game can be completed in less than a day which sucks for that type of game :(

AC should be like Arkham City/Origins in scope but it isn't.

You have to complete the first memory of Dead Kings and then you can travel back to Paris (look for a P on the map)

I vote for BiteBug to be the next lead developer on all future AC titles!!!

Fatal-Feit
02-13-2015, 08:29 PM
The shortest story length would be Rogue 1st, Revelations 2nd, and Brotherhood 3rd (not in order). Or Liberation and Bloodlines if you count handhelds. =p

JustPlainQuirky
02-13-2015, 09:12 PM
Rogue is shortest but it has pre-established characters and setting so it has an excuse

aL_____eX
02-13-2015, 09:14 PM
The shortest story length would be Rogue 1st, Revelations 2nd, and Brotherhood 3rd (not in order). Or Liberation and Bloodlines if you count handhelds. =p
I don't think Brotherhood/Revelations are much shorter than Unity?!