PDA

View Full Version : Two copies of the same game on one account. Need help.

Blindguy1
02-11-2015, 10:26 AM
Around a year ago I got a free code for a copy of black flag from a video card I purchased. I added the game to my Uplay library but never got around to installing it or playing it. Then last December I got the gold edition on STEAM. I installed and loaded the game up to see 2 copies in my Uplay library. When I entered my season pass DLC codes I think it added them to my copy I got last year and that is not installed. How do I enable the DLC's to my copy I have installed through STEAM?? So I don't have to install it a second time.

YazX_
02-11-2015, 11:28 AM
you got a complicated situation here since Steam provides codes for DLCs to be activated directly in UPlay and something clearly went wrong and UPlay activated those DLC keys to your UPlay version of the game since if it was activated for steam then when you launch the game you should be able to see all DLCs but as far as i understood this was not the case.

the only people who can help you is Ubisoft support, you can ask them to remove SP from UPlay version of the game and activate it for steam version. remember to be detailed in your ticket to get faster response, click on the click in my signature to go to support and open a ticket.

Locopells
02-11-2015, 12:02 PM
You won't have to install it a second time - it'll use the installation you've got there already.

Example: I got ACII standard edition at release. Sometime later, I was given a code for the DDE version. When I entered it, I didn't have to reinstall, it played straight away (once it had added in the extras). In short, you should be fine - and you can hide games in Uplay, so that you only have the version you're using, in the list.

Anykeyer
02-11-2015, 01:00 PM
Steam versions appear as separate games. But everything you unlock in one version will automatically transfer to another.
It gets complicated only when there is a need to download additional files bc Steam has its own database which Uplay cant change. To be safe always buy DLCs for Steam version in Steam, that way DLC will work in both versions.

YazX_
02-11-2015, 01:45 PM
Steam versions appear as separate games. But everything you unlock in one version will automatically transfer to another.
It gets complicated only when there is a need to download additional files bc Steam has its own database which Uplay cant change. To be safe always buy DLCs for Steam version in Steam, that way DLC will work in both versions.

in his case what happens?! according to your experience (i remember you mentioned once you got multiple versions of the same game on steam and UPlay) the activated key for DLC should unlock for both versions right? but when he used his SP steam key, it didnt unlock for steam version of the game as far as i understood.

Anykeyer
02-11-2015, 02:26 PM
Its impossible to have a DLC unlocked in just one version. DLCs dont have versions and share the same UPC ID number across all base game SKUs.
I guess he just checks in a wrong place. He should look at DLC list in Uplay client itself, not in Steam. Someone at Ubi made different entries for DLCs you get with season pass https://steamdb.info/app/242050/dlc/ Because of that game's Steam store page displays DLCs as not owned if you got them from season pass. In the end its only display error. The only thing that matters is ownership information in Uplay and depots (actual files to download) in Steam.
Its the depot thing that makes it important to buy some DLCs from Steam. In AC4 case you can buy anything except Freedom Cry from any sttore and it would work with all versions you have. Because all DLCs (except FC) either have their content built-in (stuff from special editions) or added through patches (MP character packs - everyone needs to have the files even if they dont own them, else you would have problems seeing players using those characters). But Freedom Cry is special, it needs extra files put in separate depots (260476 or 264803). If you dont buy FC from Steam here's what happens: you would still have ownership information on your Uplay account for all versions of the game, but Steam wont download required files (bc you dont own Steam package with required depot) and you wont be able to play FC just bc its not installed.

YazX_
02-11-2015, 03:05 PM
Its impossible to have a DLC unlocked in just one version. DLCs dont have versions and share the same UPC ID number across all base game SKUs.
I guess he just checks in a wrong place. He should look at DLC list in Uplay client itself, not in Steam. Someone at Ubi made different entries for DLCs you get with season pass https://steamdb.info/app/242050/dlc/ Because of that game's Steam store page displays DLCs as not owned if you got them from season pass. In the end its only display error. The only thing that matters is ownership information in Uplay and depots (actual files to download) in Steam.
Its the depot thing that makes it important to buy some DLCs from Steam. In AC4 case you can buy anything except Freedom Cry from any sttore and it would work with all versions you have. Because all DLCs (except FC) either have their content built-in (stuff from special editions) or added through patches (MP character packs - everyone needs to have the files even if they dont own them, else you would have problems seeing players using those characters). But Freedom Cry is special, it needs extra files put in separate depots (260476 or 264803). If you dont buy FC from Steam here's what happens: you would still have ownership information on your Uplay account for all versions of the game, but Steam wont download required files (bc you dont own Steam package with required depot) and you wont be able to play FC just bc its not installed.

interesting and very helpful, thanks, but what about two editions of same game for UPlay (different Game IDs) ? suppose you got RU version and WW version of FC4 (or any game), both will activate fine since they are considered separate products, but if you activated a WW SP for FC4, according to your explanatio i would assume the SP should activate for both versions and the files downloaded for both would be multi language, and if you happen to activate RU SP, then both versions will only get RU language for the contents, right?

Anykeyer
02-11-2015, 03:26 PM
If you have different SKUs of the same game and then activate any DLC you'll get its ownership unlock for all versions. As for files I dont know what happens in case of FC4 but Uplay AC4 RU downloads Freedom Cry only with russian language, Uplay AC4 WW downloads it with all languages except russian (just like game itself).