PDA

View Full Version : Combat in ACV:Fists/HB and guns

dimbismp
02-10-2015, 05:54 PM
Hi there
As far as i am aware,swords(and generally blade)fighting was quite rare during the Victorian era.So,the logical thing,for combat,to do IMO is to feature only the fists and the HB.That way,it would be more realistic,and,most importantly,it may lead to better combat mechanics.Don't get me wrong:i liked ACU's hard combat,but there is room for improvement.So,would you like Ubi to completely ditch swords etc in favor of fist/HB combat,or not?
Another thing that has to mentioned is that during the Victorian era,heavy usage of guns started to occur.This means that Ubi may have to completely change the use of guns.Would you like a gun system like AC3-ACU,or a completely new one,which may actually feel like a third person shooter?

Shahkulu101
02-10-2015, 06:06 PM
Will if it's all melee combat, and we have a hidden blade, we could just stab everybody and eliminate enemies with ease. I really don't know how they would balance that.

I expect them to shoehorn sword combat into the game regardless of historical accuracy. As far as I'm aware the police force at that time didn't carry swords, so it will feel very silly. :/

johnrimmer1998
02-10-2015, 07:11 PM
There shouldn't be that many guns because the British police don't use guns and in Victorian times they only had a truncheon and rattle to call for help.

Altair1789
02-10-2015, 10:05 PM
I think there are 3 things we know will be back from these screenshots: Rope darts, fighting with fists (/hidden blades), and throwing knives. I don't think they'll ditch swords though, I heard somewhere that they're staying

Namikaze_17
02-10-2015, 10:26 PM
I doubt swords will be COMPLETELY gone. Some countries even used them by WWI/WWII. ( Not commonly, but still)

@Alta´r

You sure about fighting with fists?

That could be for specific missions and such.

Hans684
02-10-2015, 10:29 PM
Swords has to end at some point.

DemonLord4lf
02-10-2015, 10:45 PM
Swords has to end at some point.

If they continue advancing the timeline, I completely agree. However, they dont need to keep going ahead in time. They could go back and do a period where swords were used more frequently.

Hans684
02-10-2015, 10:48 PM
If they continue advancing the timeline, I completely agree. However, they dont need to keep going ahead in time. They could go back and do a period where swords were used more frequently.

Or jump between both. So it's not the same circle repeated in each century.

DemonLord4lf
02-10-2015, 10:55 PM
Or jump between both. So it's not the same circle repeated in each century.

Yea. I would love to see an AC game done during the Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Of course they would have to redo the combat system. It'll have alot more fighting then anything else. At least i think it would.

Shahkulu101
02-10-2015, 10:58 PM
I want an Ancient AC sooooo bad...

DemonLord4lf
02-10-2015, 11:01 PM
I want an Ancient AC sooooo bad...

Precursor era?

Shahkulu101
02-10-2015, 11:37 PM
Precursor era?

Lol no, actual history for me please. Ancient Greece, Sumeria -- those kind of places.

DemonLord4lf
02-10-2015, 11:39 PM
Lol no, actual history for me please. Ancient Greece, Sumeria -- those kind of places.

Ah. Before Altair's time then?

Shahkulu101
02-11-2015, 12:01 AM
Ah. Before Altair's time then?

Yep, way before. I personally crave something totally different in terms of setting. A little burnt out by the 18th century, and Victory is even later than that.

I want to be wowed by the settings again. Paris was gorgeous but I had already experienced grand European cities.

DemonLord4lf
02-11-2015, 12:06 AM
Yep, way before. I personally crave something totally different in terms of setting. A little burnt out by the 18th century, and Victory is even later than that.

I want to be wowed by the settings again. Paris was gorgeous but I had already experienced grand European cities.

I wouldn't mind seeing an AC set during the pinnacle of the Roman Empire. Perhaps some of the emperors where really Templars... wait... they didn't start using the name Templar until just before the Crusades right? So what name did they go by beforehand? O_O I want AC ROME even more now!!!

JustPlainQuirky
02-11-2015, 12:33 AM
drops swords

all battle victories will be determined by a bike race

http://www.angelpig.net/victorian/cycle_promenade.gif

DemonLord4lf
02-11-2015, 12:36 AM
drops swords

I'm pretty sure a lot more people would complain if that was how things were to be done >.>

Altair1789
02-11-2015, 03:25 AM
drops swords

I would support this. If there's no bike riding in Victory I will be sad

Fatal-Feit
02-11-2015, 09:52 AM
Close quarters combat have always been overblown and inaccurate in AC so I can't imagine Ubisoft ditching the combat in Unity. Personally, I'd like Unity's combat to return but with some major tweaking. But I'm also open to a new combat system if the developers feel it's necessary. I'm mostly just afraid of another AC2/IV kind of ''improvement''...

As for guns... Hmmm... Again, I rather not say. I'm open to whatever the developers feel is necessary. =p

TexasCaesar
02-20-2015, 08:34 AM
How the combat system should work depends heavily on WHEN in the Victorian Era the game will be set. There is a huge difference between 1837, when Vicky was crowned, and 1901, when she died.

From the 1830s on to the early 1860s, breech loading guns were rare enough that the muzzle-loading system we currently have (where you get one shot off and then have to hide or stand your ground) is appropriate. After the 1860s, though? That's the Old West era! Swords were rendered useless and devices like six-shooters and repeaters made it possible to reload during a firefight.

A cover-based shooting system would be necessary to accurately represent the 1870s-1890s period. I have faith, though, in their ability to do so; Watch_Dogs handled like a dream, and they could easily combine parkour and shooting. In fact, Uncharted basically functions like what I've always imagined a modern (1860s onwards) AC game being like.

DemonLord4lf
02-20-2015, 08:41 AM
How the combat system should work depends heavily on WHEN in the Victorian Era the game will be set. There is a huge difference between 1837, when Vicky was crowned, and 1901, when she died.

From the 1830s on to the early 1860s, breech loading guns were rare enough that the muzzle-loading system we currently have (where you get one shot off and then have to hide or stand your ground) is appropriate. After the 1860s, though? That's the Old West era! Swords were rendered useless and devices like six-shooters and repeaters made it possible to reload during a firefight.

A cover-based shooting system would be necessary to accurately represent the 1870s-1890s period. I have faith, though, in their ability to do so; Watch_Dogs handled like a dream, and they could easily combine parkour and shooting. In fact, Uncharted basically functions like what I've always imagined a modern (1860s onwards) AC game being like.

Texas... are you going to be digging up all the old threads people have forgotten about? I don't mind seeing them come back, just curious why...

Anyways, I totally agree with ya. I hope they don't go that far ahead. I would hate to see the combat with swords gone completely... They've done too many AC games that centered around sword play and stealth to just suddenly get rid of the swords.

TexasCaesar
02-20-2015, 08:46 AM
Texas... are you going to be digging up all the old threads people have forgotten about? I don't mind seeing them come back, just curious why...

Anyways, I totally agree with ya. I hope they don't go that far ahead. I would hate to see the combat with swords gone completely... They've done too many AC games that centered around sword play and stealth to just suddenly get rid of the swords.

To be honest? Yes. I will likely scour the forums for about a week, and then (once I have run out of interesting topics to spout on) I'll likely never return... until Victory is out and I'll come back to spout about it.:rolleyes:

DemonLord4lf
02-20-2015, 08:48 AM
To be honest? Yes. I will likely scour the forums for about a week, and then (once I have run out of interesting topics to spout on) I'll likely never return... until Victory is out and I'll come back to spout about it.:rolleyes:

I used to be the same... but then i got bored... and bored Chaos is never good, for anyone ;)

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3degze7q81r2qkqb.gif