PDA

View Full Version : The biggest mistake in console history?

Domestico
02-10-2015, 08:46 AM
I'm one of those who actually love Unity for what it is. The game is fun, looks great (granted not close to what they advertised), and for the first AC game I find myself not getting tired of the parkour/running parts of the game. Animations are good, story is OK, game has a ton of collectibles. All in all I'd say the criticism towards it was fair given how bad it was in the beginning.

Where the game fails across the board however is it's "mobile" features. I can't grasp what the basic idea was supposed to be here. A mobile game that limits your progress (for completionists) by several weeks? I bought this game at launch, and yes while I did take a break from it due to all the bugs, I am STILL not done with all my companion missions because some of them lasts for 24 HOURS. And what's really confusing is why this was even taken out of the game in the first place, when it's literally a minigame / feature that has been in-game since Brotherhood. What's the point? To try and lure people into spending a few bucks to make it go faster? If so that's the lowest point I have ever seen anyone reach in console gaming. It really is that bad.

Not even going to get into Initiates, that thing is broken beyond redemption. Although also a great example why you keep your focus on the main game itself.

Then there are of course in-game gear that is locked until you play Club Competitions, which is fine, if it was ever actually available.

Time-gating and limiting progress is something you see in subscription based / microtransaction-free-to-play games. Not full vesrsion console games that you pay the normal price to get your hands on. If this was really just an attempt to get people to pay up then by God, EA found it's match and then some this time.

To me Unity stands as a warning sign at how bad it can become when a company is blinded by greed and makes all their decisions based on nothing but money.
I am hoping that people didn't give Ubi a reason to try this crap again, seems to me that the player's opinion won't matter at all in the end as long as it means they increase their profit margin. Hoping I'm wrong. Of course one can't help but feel bad for the devs because I bet most (if not all) of them wanted this to be their best game ever. Unity deserved to be so much more than it is, next one will be the last chance for my part.

DemonLord4lf
02-10-2015, 08:51 AM
I'm one of those who actually love Unity for what it is. The game is fun, looks great (granted not close to what they advertised), and for the first AC game I find myself not getting tired of the parkour/running parts of the game. Animations are good, story is OK, game has a ton of collectibles. All in all I'd say the criticism towards it was fair given how bad it was in the beginning.

Where the game fails across the board however is it's "mobile" features. I can't grasp what the basic idea was supposed to be here. A mobile game that limits your progress (for completionists) by several weeks? I bought this game at launch, and yes while I did take a break from it due to all the bugs, I am STILL not done with all my companion missions because some of them lasts for 24 HOURS. And what's really confusing is why this was even taken out of the game in the first place, when it's literally a minigame / feature that has been in-game since Brotherhood. What's the point? To try and lure people into spending a few bucks to make it go faster? If so that's the lowest point I have ever seen anyone reach in console gaming. It really is that bad.

Not even going to get into Initiates, that thing is broken beyond redemption. Although also a great example why you keep your focus on the main game itself.

Then there are of course in-game gear that is locked until you play Club Competitions, which is fine, if it was ever actually available.

Time-gating and limiting progress is something you see in subscription based / microtransaction-free-to-play games. Not full vesrsion console games that you pay the normal price to get your hands on. If this was really just an attempt to get people to pay up then by God, EA found it's match and then some this time.

To me Unity stands as a warning sign at how bad it can become when a company is blinded by greed and makes all their decisions based on nothing but money.
I am hoping that people didn't give Ubi a reason to try this crap again, seems to me that the player's opinion won't matter at all in the end as long as it means they increase their profit margin. Hoping I'm wrong. Of course one can't help but feel bad for the devs because I bet most (if not all) of them wanted this to be their best game ever. Unity deserved to be so much more than it is, next one will be the last chance for my part.

I wanted to like Unity. I really did... but i just couldn't get over how much they took out of the game and said they were being innovative... To me that wasn't innovation it was laziness. Unity had the chance to be a great game, but fell flat on its face. Ubisoft got way to ambitious and now its come back to bite them in the ***. Lets hope they learned and fixed this in AC Victory, otherwise i wont be buying anymore AC games until they hit the bargin bin.

Farlander1991
02-10-2015, 10:27 AM
but i just couldn't get over how much they took out of the game and said they were being innovative...

Cutting things out doesn't equal bad or 'not innovative'.

AC games over time began to be overburdened with lots of mechanics and design decisions that were just there for the sake of being there but didn't have any use. AC games also would add things that made other aspects irrelevant or useless.

Simple example: crossbow. AC2 had throwing knives and hidden pistol gun. Throwing knives were silent, you had many of them, but are relatively weak (so for higher-end enemies you needed more than one). Hidden pistol was very powerful, but would alert of your position instantly due to sound, and you didn't have much bullets for it. Then ACB introduces crossbow, which is silent, very powerful, has many arrows, and a high range as well. It makes gun and knives literally useless.

Then there are other things like picking up bodies, everybody seems to complain that it was taken out, but... how many times have you used that feature really? I've never seen any AC walkthrough picking up bodies unless it was a goal or accidental press of a button. I never picked up bodies unless it was a goal or accidental press of a button either. AC stealth was never about careful placement of bodies, the world is too big for that, that kind of feature is useful for very close-spaced stealth games (with more prominent stealth mechanics at that than ACs).

ACU is not perfect, but its overall design is fairly clean, everything has a proper use for it due to the fact that Ubi wasn't afraid to cut things out that weren't necessary.

Fatal-Feit
02-10-2015, 11:04 AM
Let's not forget Ubi Collectible DLCs locks content behind figurines and statues. I hated it in Black Flag and it's even worse in Unity.

And then there are the Uplay's Actions and Rewards that are impossible to complete unless you're willing to shell out money for boosts you don't really need. There's also the Nomad Points Pack that requires 200u to complete. Honestly, I didn't think it could get worse than having to play MP.

Jackdaw951
02-10-2015, 04:54 PM
Because of the reality of . . . things, we need to separate reasonable completion from BS completion. I'm fairly OCD about my preferred games, but I can make the distinction between what's really part of them and what isn't; and I feel absolutely no compunction to go after (literally) extraneous stuff. For example, it took me less than one play session to separate white/red chests from blue/yellow chests, mentally. After that, I practically didn't see the latter anymore (and then they relented on the yellow chests anyway, which I appreciate). There's plenty of game in Unity without the dodgy external stuff. Complete all of the actual game, on the one and only system it belongs for you, and call it a day.

https://38.media.tumblr.com/9f5cae30682369669de4a2b11ac4486a/tumblr_nedbt5Xwjr1qcj8bfo4_400.gif
Black Sails 2nd season rocks so far. :)