PDA

View Full Version : Airbrakes

HalisMojab1
06-25-2004, 07:22 AM
I'm flying the YP-80 shooting Star, and have assigned a throttle button to the airbrake command in the key controls screen. However, when I press or hold the appropriate airbrake button, I can see no slowing-down effect, no airbrake showing in external view, no on-screen message or anything. Does this mean that the airbrake command is actually not available on the YP-80?
If so, which aircraft do have working airbrakes, so that I can see how they function.
thanks

HalisMojab1
06-25-2004, 07:22 AM
I'm flying the YP-80 shooting Star, and have assigned a throttle button to the airbrake command in the key controls screen. However, when I press or hold the appropriate airbrake button, I can see no slowing-down effect, no airbrake showing in external view, no on-screen message or anything. Does this mean that the airbrake command is actually not available on the YP-80?
If so, which aircraft do have working airbrakes, so that I can see how they function.
thanks

VW-IceFire
06-25-2004, 07:28 AM
The YP-80's shipped to Italy in 1944 didn't have any airbrakes and this is how our Shooting Star is modeled.

The P-38L and the Stuka's (except the Tank Buster) are the only ones I know of having dive brakes.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/tmv-sig1.jpg
RCAF 412 Falcon Squadron - "Swift to Avenge"

PBNA-Boosher
06-25-2004, 07:50 AM
Yep, there was no airbrake on the YP-80. You're thinking about the F-80, its later designation. We don't have an F-80. If we did our planes would have droptanks on the wings edge and the ability to carry bombs. However, since this form of the YP-80 prototype was not available in 1946, I hardly believe it will make it into the game.

HalisMojab1
06-25-2004, 08:12 AM
Thank you, Gentlemen, for your prompt response. Yes indeed, I am thinking about the later P-80/F-80 as used in Korea, and I did wonder where my wingtip droptanks were. But if I just ignore those things and continue to dogfight Yak-9u's over snowy Moscow, I can believe that I'm in Korea, and all's well with my Sim world.

HalisMojab1
06-26-2004, 09:53 AM
Just been reading my reference books on the Shooting Star. Whilst it is possible that YP-80's did not have airbrakes, the production P-80s did. In 1945 a P-80A assigned to the 412th fighter group at March Field is pictured, over California with speed brakes extended, in David R Moore's book published by Schiffer. It also has wing tanks.
If you are saying that since Il-2 is modelling a YP-80, the team have no intention of modelling in any alterations incorporated in the production F-80s, then that's their decision. But Boosher is wrong to say that the P-80 with wing tanks and speed brakes did not exist in 1946, it most certainly did. Might not have flown combat in 1946, but it was built, and in service.

AnalFissure
06-27-2004, 10:20 PM
the 229 has airbrakes as well, I think