PDA

View Full Version : Looks like we are not getting an Arno sequel anytime soon

X_xWolverinEx_X
02-08-2015, 02:56 AM
http://www.ign.com/articles/assassins-creed-developer-alex-amancio-says-no-arno-sequel-anytime-soon

“we thought it would be in our best interest to take a new direction with the franchise and that includes having one protagonist per game only. This is because we want our audience to be able to dive into any installment without feeling lost or overwhelmed. No sequels. That way we can keep our focus on a full seamless experience."-Alex Amancio

wvstolzing
02-08-2015, 03:02 AM
The link takes me to the frontpage, not the article; and I can't find it otherwise. Odd....

JustPlainQuirky
02-08-2015, 03:03 AM
just read the article.

praise baby jesus

GoldenBoy9999
02-08-2015, 03:06 AM
Aw, this made me really dissapointed that we wouldn't see Arno's end, but this quote gave me hope.

This doesn’t mean we won’t see Arno again. The Ubisoft team has other forms of media to continue each assassin story; that includes novels, short films, etc…

I hope we see an Embers-like story about Arno for a proper ending. Thanks Ubisoft.

Alphacos007
02-08-2015, 03:07 AM
Well, I never asked for another Arno game anyways :rolleyes:
But really, I think it's a good thing. The article could be more specific though. They don't say anything about modern day, and IMO they should. I think a new 3rd person character every game would be interesting.

Namikaze_17
02-08-2015, 03:09 AM
Damn, too bad for Arno.

Hopefully we see him again in some way shape or form.

aL_____eX
02-08-2015, 03:10 AM
Looks like IGN took the article down. I get a dead link and can't find it either... maybe released too early? :confused: Damn...

What else did it say?

Fatal-Feit
02-08-2015, 03:13 AM
fml

Xstantin
02-08-2015, 03:18 AM
Full seamless experience huh

I-Like-Pie45
02-08-2015, 03:23 AM
lol

aL_____eX
02-08-2015, 03:24 AM
Can anyone provide a screenshot or something? Dammit IGN...

JustPlainQuirky
02-08-2015, 03:25 AM
It wasn't anything interesting. Just some generic PR stuff.

GoldenBoy9999
02-08-2015, 04:39 AM
Can anyone provide a screenshot or something? Dammit IGN...

Here's a screencap.

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m231/GoldenBoy999/Screencap3_zpsa91e3f8a.png

It was taken down after like five minutes apparently.

aL_____eX
02-08-2015, 04:45 AM
Ah wow, I thought they still had some plans for an Arno sequel. Shows Ubi's way of dealing with their protagonists.

wvstolzing
02-08-2015, 04:46 AM
I thought the "full seamless" bit of the quote was a joke ... so either this screencap is part of the joke, or he really said it.

X_xWolverinEx_X
god damn it i liked Arno and his story (goes and cries in a corner )

DemonLord4lf
Ah wow, I thought they still had some plans for an Arno sequel. Shows Ubi's way of dealing with their protagonists.

Takes too much work trying to think up a huge story for a single character, is what Ubisoft is thinking apparently -_-

Perk89
02-08-2015, 05:56 AM
Lol. Don't get me wrong, I don't care for Arno, but this is sickening. Let me go ahead and translate.

"We don't want to risk missing out on any new money, so rather than construct quality overarching narratives that risk "overwhelming" (lol) people, were just gonna cash in as long as possible."

ive put up with a lot from Ubi over this franchise. But this here may just be the freighter that breaks the camels back. What a disgusting display of greed.

There is now a part of me that hopes this series completely bombs so Ubisoft is forced to realize what a mistake that made trying to suck every dollar out of it like this.

youll have nobody to blame but yourself Ubisoft.

but but but at least I can hear about my favorite characters on the initiates website that will only cost me $1.99 and give me access to in-game content that is on the disc already!

It wasn't anything interesting. Just some generic PR stuff.

This is as about as big a news from a company as you'll ever hear. I've never heard a company outright admit they were more concerned with getting more money than the health of the game series itself, which is exactly what this is.

SpiritOfNevaeh
02-08-2015, 06:03 AM
You guys know that this is an obvious troll thread, right? :rolleyes:

Screen shot was created behind-the-scenes, link leads to home page, all the signs are obvious.

This same thing happened with that troll that said he had received ACV posters with Connor on it and claimed he peeked into the box and saw "a hint of red".

*facepalm*

wvstolzing
02-08-2015, 06:17 AM
It should be obvious by now (I mean, without this interview) that they're *purposefully* eliminating over-arching narratives.

It already happened in MD: They really *mean it*, when they say that it's "us" playing the MD portion -- and the MD portion consists in this: You, the player, get to talk to an Assassin hacker, and maybe do a bit of data gathering for them. You don't 'play' a part in the MD struggles and adventures of the Assassins. They offer a little window into their world, you peer through it, and then you log out. *That*'s MD now.

With the historical adventures, too, all we'll ever get from now on will be little 'windows' into certain 'local' conflicts, *incidentally* involving an Assassin (because, you know, parkour, and brand recognition). That's what happened with Arno -- we got his little story of love & redemption or whatever, against an 'interesting backdrop', and that was it.

In Victory, too, the historical portion will almost certainly revolve around some kind of local problem, to which the actual historical characters, and the Assassin-Templar struggle, etc., will all be incidental. The new protagonist, just like Arno, will not leave any significant mark on his world, and we won't even get a hint as to what he might be *thinking* about it all.

... and why do these games need to be released as *AC* games? The ONLY reason is 'brand identity', and the fact that ubisoft isn't even interested in an idea, unless they can make a franchise out of it, or shoehorn it into an existing one.

arthur-peresb13
02-08-2015, 06:27 AM
to be honest I hated the Arno and the fact that a main character does not have a sequel not bother too. Rockstar always come with a new protagonist and prove this formula works pretty fine, since that you make something with quality, and this is the problem with ubisoft lately, they don't make quality, they don't make a proper clousure to the character.

AC2 has more or less 90 missions and for the majority of the fans it's the best of the franchise... then to brotherhood until Blackflag we have only 40~50 missions, then Unity comes and we can't even reach 30 missions counting the DLC...

since that would have no sequel they should at leat make it longer, make a proper end for that character story.

DemonLord4lf
02-08-2015, 06:29 AM
It should be obvious by now (I mean, without this interview) that they're *purposefully* eliminating over-arching narratives.

It already happened in MD: They really *mean it*, when they say that it's "us" playing the MD portion -- and the MD portion consists in this: You, the player, get to talk to an Assassin hacker, and maybe do a bit of data gathering for them. You don't 'play' a part in the MD struggles and adventures of the Assassins. They offer a little window into their world, you peer through it, and then you log out. *That*'s MD now.

With the historical adventures, too, all we'll ever get from now on will be little 'windows' into certain 'local' conflicts, *incidentally* involving an Assassin (because, you know, parkour, and brand recognition). That's what happened with Arno -- we got his little story of love & redemption or whatever, against an 'interesting backdrop', and that was it.

In Victory, too, the historical portion will almost certainly revolve around some kind of local problem, to which the actual historical characters, and the Assassin-Templar struggle, etc., will all be incidental. The new protagonist, just like Arno, will not leave any significant mark on his world, and we won't even get a hint as to what he might be *thinking* about it all.

... and why do these games need to be released as *AC* games? The ONLY reason is 'brand identity', and the fact that ubisoft isn't even interested in an idea, unless they can make a franchise out of it, or shoehorn it into an existing one.

Which makes me worried for Watch Dogs. It could be a great game... but with the way Ubisoft is going... i'm not so sure...

Fatal-Feit
02-08-2015, 06:36 AM
You guys know that this is an obvious troll thread, right? :rolleyes:

Screen shot was created behind-the-scenes, link leads to home page, all the signs are obvious.

This same thing happened with that troll that said he had received ACV posters with Connor on it and claimed he peeked into the box and saw "a hint of red".

*facepalm*

http://thesevensees.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Anna-Karenina-Johnson-kissing-hand.jpg

Xstantin
02-08-2015, 07:10 AM
That wasn't that hard to figure out lmao

phoenix-force411
02-08-2015, 08:09 AM
I want to hear and read more about Arno still. Him and Connor are my two most interesting assassin right now. I'd like to know more!

VestigialLlama4
02-08-2015, 09:51 AM
Ubisoft is totally taken over by marketing. See Amancio pointlessly insert byte-words like "seamless" for no reason at all.

They are such Pavlovian dogs it's not even funny. Some bad stimulus and they immediately run and hide under the sand. The thing about UNITY that really appalls me is the level of dishonesty and bad faith on the part of developers. Like when AC3 came out, even if it had a mixed reception, the writers and directors went on tour and answered fan questions AMAs and the like, they didn't hide behind a Wall of Silence. Since UNITY's launch, none of the developers have given interviews or fan Q&A and the like. The reason for that is those people cared about their work and they stood by it, the people behind UNITY released a crappy product and they know it and they are ashamed to take responisibility for it.

Arno was definitely intended for a Franchise since way too many threads were introduced. There's no clear climax and finish to the game and the DLC provided more sequel winks. So when reactions were bad, they manufactured that leak of VICTORY and hid like cowards.

Hans684
02-08-2015, 11:50 AM
Didn't want one.

m4r-k7
02-08-2015, 03:48 PM
For gods sake can't they see they are destroying the franchise?! More to the point destroying the incredible narrative that was once part of the series.

I guess if they are selling who cares right?

EmptyCrustacean
02-08-2015, 04:09 PM
I'm sorry I can't stand Alex Amancio. He is a smarmy, talentless hack and sounds like a politician in all his interviews. It make me cringe when people sing his praises just because he seems to "get" how the game should be. He's all talk. Tis crap about "no sequels" is all about getting new money on board. That's it.

Farlander1991
02-08-2015, 04:15 PM
AC2 has more or less 90 missions and for the majority of the fans it's the best of the franchise... then to brotherhood until Blackflag we have only 40~50 missions, then Unity comes and we can't even reach 30 missions counting the DLC...

I would just like to point out that quantity isn't everything.

Here's a breakdown of AC2 beginning:
Mission 1: Fight, then fight some more.
Mission 2: Run from point A to point B (not far)
Mission 3: Race from point A to point B (not far as well)
Mission 4: Sneak from point A to point B

Now here's a breakdown of ACU beginning (starting with Arno that is):
Mission 1:
- Follow Elise (while stealing apples)
- Catch one of the brothers
- Run away from one of the brothers
- Go from wherever you are to point B

So one ACU mission in length is like 4 AC2 missions.

Or AC4, for example. First mission in Havana, we follow a guy, then catch a thief, then go to a certain point, then fight, then escape.

Granted, there are long AC2 missions (the most obvious one being the infiltration of Vatican, which is fairly lengthy and is part of the smallest sequence of the game), but a lot of them are very one-objective based. Like instead of a mission where we catch a thief to find La Volpe and then follow him to a meeting place, it's two missions (with one objective each), etc.

xChip1998x
02-08-2015, 04:44 PM
For gods sake can't they see they are destroying the franchise?! More to the point destroying the incredible narrative that was once part of the series.

I guess if they are selling who cares right?

This.

Honestly, I'm glad. Some characters deserve a sequel such as Ezio. He had a great storyline and character; there was so much to tell about him and fans loved him. Altair and Connor deserve sequels in my own opinion.

Arno on the other hand is a modified carbon copy of him. He has the same cocky boyish mannerisms and for that reason I do not really want more of him. He feels a little "been there".

Perk89
02-08-2015, 05:01 PM
Didn't want one.

this isn't about Arno. It's about money.

That has honestly been my worst fear about the series for some time, and to hear them admit it is shameful. Im very much questioning if I'll pick up the next installment and I'm leaning towards no.

ubisoft has absolutely no idea what made their previous games good and to hear them say we can expect more of the same narrative garbage, well, go ahead and count me out.

i hope you get your new money Ubisoft, because the old cash is walking out the door!

Hans684
02-08-2015, 06:07 PM
this isn't about Arno. It's about money.

Still don't want it.

Altair1789
02-08-2015, 06:34 PM
As long as they give all the 18th century assassins a proper ending, I'll be happy. Proper ending means none of what they gave to Connor. I'll be disappointed in Ubisoft as a company if they leave it at that. They can't just drop a character entirely because their majority didn't like him