PDA

View Full Version : Unity Question re head bob

phaetn1
02-07-2015, 04:26 PM
I've really enjoyed AC2 and AC3. Recently I bought AC4 Black Flag and I find the head bob -- especially when running -- makes me feel ill. The camera used to be somewhat static and the player moved, but now the camera is constantly rotating. It's not something that I can just get used to -- I can get car sick easily and it just the way my senses work.

My question: Does Unity have the same camera bob? If it does, it's a deal breaker for me. If it doesn't, then I'll buy it now and just forgo continuing with AC4.

Thanks and cheers,
phaetn1

strigoi1958
02-07-2015, 04:43 PM
you can find your answer on youtube... that way you can decide rather than have people say...

phaetn1
02-07-2015, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I've looked at YouTube vids, but sometimes it's hard to tell. The view is rarely still long enough as people are always rotating the camera! :) In multiplayer it looked like the effect might be gone, but it's still hard to say.

I just noticed such an immediate difference between the titles that I am asking for people's actual experiences between AC3, AC4, and ACU. For me in AC4 the camera bobs with every footstep (faster when running, obviously) but also with ever jump, landing, etc. It's a deliberate 3rd person POV camera movement with lag to make it seem more action oriented, I guess, but it just makes me feel gross so I have to stop playing. :(

With thanks,
phaetn1

strigoi1958
02-07-2015, 08:20 PM
Only your opinion will be valid... If I say it is great and there is no head bob... just because I do not notice it then you would be making a mistake in playing it... so you have to see it and be the judge of it... nobody else can do that for you and.. there are thousands of videos online of unity so if you really are interested in playing it then you'll spend time to find one.

jeffies04
02-07-2015, 10:47 PM
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/099/what-is-love-570898416.gif

strigoi1958
02-07-2015, 11:16 PM
what is love :D from SNL funny

http://youtu.be/mqEKpp4RVPw this clip of A C Unity is 21 minutrs and has varied bits of the game so it may help you decide.

YazX_
02-08-2015, 12:49 AM
as far as i understand, you mean motion sickness, right?

if thats the case, then what part that gives you that (modern day or the whole game) ?

phaetn1
02-08-2015, 01:52 AM
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I did look at some videos and -- comparing them to vids of AC4 -- it looks like a much reduced effect, if it remains at all.

as far as i understand, you mean motion sickness, right?

if thats the case, then what part that gives you that (modern day or the whole game) ?

Indeed, I do. It's the whole came. It was something new in AC4 that when the avatar walks, with ever step the screen tilts. When running it's much more pronounced, and the screen tilts back and forth constantly. For whatever reason, I need a stable surrounding. The avatar can do whatever, but if the whole field of view moves without my own input then it makes me ill. I have to avoid FPS games (and being a passenger with an unpredictable driver!) but most 3rd person games are fine.

I took a chance (and had to buy a new video card to boot!) and bought ACU through Steam. It seems better so far already. Now there are the glitches issues -- total freezes and even one lock up. Looks gorgeous so far when it does run, though!

Thanks for your replies, everyone.

Cheers,
phaetn1

strigoi1958
02-08-2015, 02:43 AM
glad you got it... for the freezes there is a thread but I tried different drivers and also lowering the settings to high and not ultra has helped... AA should be fxaa. Hope to see you in co-op

jeffies04
02-08-2015, 02:08 PM
I have to avoid FPS games (and being a passenger with an unpredictable driver!) b

Don't ever get in my jeep with me then... lol

But seriously you're not the first to say that about BF and I would like to think they heard that when making Unity. I found it distracting at first but then didn't notice it.