PDA

View Full Version : So how did Unity change over the last months? :D

D4rkInv4d3r
02-06-2015, 06:42 PM
I'm one of the people who haven't got the game after the first impressions and news articles, about how unfinished and buggy it is
I guess there were loads of patches in the last months? and I'd like to ask how the game runs now?

is it worth to buy it?
is it still "buggy" as it was at the beginning or did the game become stable and playable?

I've only a GTX 770... will I be able to run it on medium/high settings with 60 fps?
or is it still a game which has immense performance issues?

TH3R4BB1T
02-06-2015, 07:02 PM
It is still buggy, better wait for Patch 5. They seem to fix the last 'few' bugs with it, although I doubt it. But you could be lucky and that there are no bugs for you. You will be able to play the game as long as you have the minimum requirements and then set all to low.

Lignjoslav
02-06-2015, 08:44 PM
It's buggy, but less so than on release. They stamped out the worst bugs in the first two patches, but after that the game hasn't changed much. Whether the remaining bugs will give you any significant problems depends a lot on your luck.

The performance hasn't changed much. A GTX 770 should be able to give you a decent performance at 1080p and high settings, but nowhere near 60fps. In my experience, that shouldn't be a problem, the animation looks smooth and, after all, AC games do not combine twitch reactions and accurate aiming, but if you're one of those people who can't be happy unless they see 60 on their frame counter, then you won't be satisfied.

wootwoots
02-07-2015, 12:40 AM
Still the huge framerate drop for no reasons after a loading ( entering main quest, coop, teleport.. etc ).. When no issue with that in "freeroam"

terrific "bug"

they better have to fix it with the next patch because that game remain unplayble... 3 month after release... They deserve a medal for the worse optimization job ever made in the AAA videogame industry.

oifbert91
02-07-2015, 04:36 PM
Regardless of your system the framerate will tank every once in a while.There are simply some areas that kill performance (< 5 fps) if you look in a certain direction. Also the framerate sometimes drops way down for a moment when you turn the camera quickly. This is the reaseon for why there cannot be a buttery smooth game on any machine, not even a GTX 980 SLI system will give you a stable 60 fps when running around in the city. But this doesn't mean the game is unplayable at all. The latest patches have fixed moste problematic areas. I for example play on a GTX 770 as well and think the game is playable (20 - 50 fps, above 30 fps most of the time) on everything maxed at 1080p except Antialiasing set to FXAA. I played through the whole campaign and had a good experience. Later I decided to set shadows to high instead of the Nvidia soft shadows and set textures to high instead of ultra high. The game looks almost the same and is very playable (25 - 55 fps, above 40 fps most of the time).

Otherwise the game has basically the same issues as all other AC games before it. Sometimes Arno doesn't do what you want and jumps on something or gets stuck. This can be annoying if you get caught because Arno doesn't do what you want. The new jumping up and down mechanic is really the only change here and makes getting around a lot faster once you get used to it. Pop ins are just as bad as in all other AC games and don't really catch your eye if you're playing. Also the big crowds are sometimes buggy with people floating above other people because the game puts them in the same place. All this pulls you out the expierence a bit, but again is nothing game breaking.

Overall the main missions are great, murder mysteries are great, the paris stories are entertaining and the coop and heist missions are a lot of fun. I would recommend playing and buying it if it works on your machine (A trial period would be great for this game Ubisoft!). You might have bad luck and it doesn't work on your system.

P.S. The companion app is a complete waste of time and just reminds me, that Ubisoft just wants to take money out of my pocket. Don't do a companion app, if it's not a great thing on it's own. And the unlockable missions and chests are just laughable.

Lignjoslav
02-07-2015, 05:50 PM
oifbert1, where do you get <5 fps?! If your GTX 770 has only 2GB of VRAM and you set textures to "ultra", at which point the game needs a 4GB card, then yeah, but other than that, I can't think of any area that's nearly as bad.

Also, bear in mind that without the companion app you can't achieve 100%. Although, you can't achieve 100% without Initiates either, and Ubi have taken them offline seemingly permanently.

oifbert91
02-07-2015, 07:42 PM
The most recent instance I can remember is the building in the last heist mission (progress tracker). When I look downwards in some areas in and around the building the framerate dorps way down. It's really hard to say what causes this. Even in some cases where I just look at a wall or a rooftop the framerate goes down..Maybe the game loads a lot of geometry behind the wall with textures, which causes the performance drop. All of this is completely independent of the settings I choose. That's why I choose rather high settings, since most of the game runs good anyways and lower settings don't eliminate the framerate drops. Settings only change the overall performance when the game runs "smoothly".

Furthermore even with textures set to Ultra I don't get any of the extreme LOD issues described here (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/950438-Unity-s-Building-Texture-Draw-Distance-is-Woefully-Low), even though my GTX 770 only has 2GB VRAM.

About the companion app and initiates. I think Ubisoft should have put the resources for making these, non-working (Initiates) and not enriching (Companion App), extensions of AC Unity in more testing and refinement.