PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Director

dimbismp
02-06-2015, 02:00 PM
Poll says it all.
Would you like one of them to return for ACV?

ze_topazio
02-06-2015, 02:13 PM
The poll says nothing, the poll doesn't even exist.

dimbismp
02-06-2015, 02:15 PM
The poll says nothing, the poll doesn't even exist.

Sorry,there was a technical problem.

Edit:It is ready!

m4r-k7
02-06-2015, 02:51 PM
I would say Patrice Desillets (as AC 1 and AC 2 were my favourite AC games) but he is never coming back so on the basis of one of them returning for AC Victory I went with Ashraf Ismail seeing as AC 4 was fantastic in almost every way. He knew what improvements were needed from AC 3 so I hope he returns and knows what improvements are needed from Unity to Victory.

I also think it could be Ashraf as AC Victory may share some of AC 4's mechanics. For example wasn't there a rumour that the ship mechanics were kind of coming back for the moving car battles in Victory? Also the grappling hook looks like it shares the same animation as when you are swinging on a rope from ship to ship in AC 4.

If it is him hopefully he can make the AC 4 of AC Unity!

Farlander1991
02-06-2015, 03:14 PM
Patrice Desilets deserves all the respect there is (being one of the main people behind the franchise), and for some reason I feel like he's going to get the most votes, and that's fine, but at the same time, I feel like the fanbase gives him too much credit.

It's just there is this mindset that exists that if Patrice would still be on board, the games wouldn't be the same (as in, the games would be better). And I don't particularly agree with that mindset. Because we have AC2 which features barely any modern day, doesn't actually fix AC1's combat, and is a very great departure from what AC1 tried to achieve. Instead of 'ok, how to make the AC1 Assassin fantasy better and more engaging' it was more of a '**** it, let's add more GTA in it'. Don't get me wrong, AC2 is a great game, and everything that it spawned culminated in what I think is one of the best AC games ever (that being ACIV, which tries to gather the best of all series and respect to Ashraf for driving the development of that game!), but Desilets didn't exactly try to improve on his original vision.

And ironically enough, you know who tried? Amancio, who might be the most disliked director on these forums. ACR features systemic crowd interactions and urban social stealth playgrounds (though it's also bogged down by all the legacy things from AC2/ACB that quite frankly should've been cut), while ACU tries to expand upon the style and concepts of AC1 rather than AC2 (gameplay, storytelling style, overall game vibe is much, much closer to AC1 than any of the other games). And I'm not saying that I think he did all the best choices... but while we're at it, neither did Desilets. After all, we're all only human.

But I fell in love with the series with AC1, and ACU is, as far as I'm concerned, the first true sequel to AC1, so I can't help but respect Amancio as well.

m4r-k7
02-06-2015, 03:21 PM
I respect Amancio greatly. He had the ideas, he knew exactly what the franchise needed, he tried to return the series to its true roots after a few games that arguably drifted away from the traditional AC formula. Unfortunately, the execution was poor for that game. Despite saying that, I still enjoyed Unity.

Shahkulu101
02-06-2015, 03:34 PM
Patrice Desilets deserves all the respect there is (being one of the main people behind the franchise), and for some reason I feel like he's going to get the most votes, and that's fine, but at the same time, I feel like the fanbase gives him too much credit.

It's just there is this mindset that exists that if Patrice would still be on board, the games wouldn't be the same (as in, the games would be better). And I don't particularly agree with that mindset. Because we have AC2 which features barely any modern day, doesn't actually fix AC1's combat, and is a very great departure from what AC1 tried to achieve. Instead of 'ok, how to make the AC1 Assassin fantasy better and more engaging' it was more of a '**** it, let's add more GTA in it'. Don't get me wrong, AC2 is a great game, and everything that it spawned culminated in what I think is one of the best AC games ever (that being ACIV, which tries to gather the best of all series and respect to Ashraf for driving the development of that game!), but Desilets didn't exactly try to improve on his original vision.

And ironically enough, you know who tried? Amancio, who might be the most disliked director on these forums. ACR features systemic crowd interactions and urban social stealth playgrounds (though it's also bogged down by all the legacy things from AC2/ACB that quite frankly should've been cut), while ACU tries to expand upon the style and concepts of AC1 rather than AC2 (gameplay, storytelling style, overall game vibe is much, much closer to AC1 than any of the other games). And I'm not saying that I think he did all the best choices... but while we're at it, neither did Desilets. After all, we're all only human.

I agree with this, and Amancio is my favourite director along with Ashraf for the reasons you stated, but perhaps it was the executives decision, and not Patrice's, to change the direction of the franchise to a conventional open world format rather than an Assassin simulator. After all, he did leave because of creative differences -- that may have been due to the games being annualized though.

The thing about ACU is that I love the idea behind its core concepts, but I honestly don't think it plays very well. More open assassinations and opportunities are great and those alone are enough to make missions entertaining, but stealth, AI, the controls -- all of it pales in comparison to other stealth titles, it's awkward, clumsy and simply not fun. So as I say, I love the vision behind ACU but didn't enjoy the execution. Is it simple enough for me to say that I liked the direction from Amancio and blame the core development team for the mechanical flaws? Or should Amancio shelve some of the blame for his creative concepts not being delivered as well as they could have been? Because I feel like even though Unity had big problems I really like Amancio and his ideas on the series and don't really blame him for it's problems, but I feel i might be wrong to do that as I have very little (if any) knowledge of how game development actually works.

EmptyCrustacean
02-06-2015, 03:35 PM
Patrice is the only one that knows how to integrate good gameplay with a good story. The franchise has gone downhill since he left.

I-Like-Pie45
02-06-2015, 03:40 PM
l THINK THAT HUTCHINSON DID THE BEST JOB OF BRINGING MY SCRIPTS VISION TO LIFE

DESILETS DEPARTURE IS THE BEST THING THAT COULD'VE HAPPENED TO THIS FRANCHISE

I HAD THE GREATEST SCRIPT EVER WRITTEN FOR AC2. IT WOULD'VE MADE AC1 AND AC3 LOOK LIKE ELMO IN COMPARISON IN HOW DARK AND GRAY IT WAS AND IT WOULD'VE MADE GAMERS QUESTION EVERYTHING. BUT DESILETS BASTARDIZED IT, PROSTITUTED EVERYTHING I WROTE, IN THE NAME OF MASS-AUDIENCE APPEAL. AND I HAD TO GO ALONG IN ALL THE INTERVIEWS AND PRETEND YEAH THAT FINAL MESS WAS WHAT I ACTUALLY WROTE.

Shahkulu101
02-06-2015, 03:43 PM
l THINK THAT HUTCHINSON DID THE BEST JOB OF BRINGING MY SCRIPTS VISION TO LIFE

DESILETS DEPARTURE IS THE BEST THING THAT COULD'VE HAPPENED TO THIS FRANCHISE

I HAD THE GREATEST SCRIPT EVER WRITTEN FOR AC2. IT WOULD'VE MADE AC1 AND AC3 LOOK LIKE ELMO IN COMPARISON IN HOW DARK AND GRAY IT WAS AND IT WOULD'VE MADE GAMERS QUESTION EVERYTHING. BUT DESILETS BASTARDIZED IT, PROSTITUTED EVERYTHING I WROTE, IN THE NAME OF MASS-AUDIENCE APPEAL. AND I HAD TO GO ALONG IN ALL THE INTERVIEWS AND PRETEND YEAH THAT FINAL MESS WAS WHAT I ACTUALLY WROTE.

Hey Corey

EmptyCrustacean
02-06-2015, 03:44 PM
Alex Amancio is what you call an "idea man". Listen to him from time to time, take on board what he says but never ever let him execute those ideas or have full control over creative direction. It's one thing to know what a game needs but it's an entirely different skill to actually put it in motion. Revelations is by far the worst AC game with Unity second worst. Says it all really.

SixKeys
02-06-2015, 04:01 PM
Patrice is the only one with more than one good game under his belt, so I'm going to have to go with him.

Shahkulu101
02-06-2015, 04:07 PM
Patrice is the only one with more than one good game under his belt, so I'm going to have to go with him.

AC1 is not a good game.

*runs away*

SixKeys
02-06-2015, 04:08 PM
AC1 is not a good game.

*runs away*

Even if that was true, which it isn't, both AC2 and ACB are. ;)

Farlander1991
02-06-2015, 04:22 PM
Btw, just so you know, this poll kinda mixes Producers (Balabanov was a producer), Game and Creative Directors (for example Ashraf was the Game Director of ACIV but not the Creative one, while Amancio was Creative Director of ACU but not the game one)... if that matters for anybody, lol.

D.I.D.
02-06-2015, 04:50 PM
Difficult. I had to vote for Désilets in the end for making the games that had the most complete vision, although Ismail comes close for Black Flag. AC and ACII have a sense that Désilets had a full grasp of how those games were going to feel to the player from beginning to end.

I have a lot of problems with Amancio's approaches to some of the thematic details, but in terms of the broad strokes I think he deserves a lot of credit for getting the series back on track. Unity might not have been the game to do it in the end, but the framework it sets up for the future of the new gen is very faithful to the original spirit of AC in many ways. Unity returns a lot of that romantic appeal that's been missing from AC for a while (not in the ineffective love story, but in the overall atmosphere of Paris), and I'm very thankful for the improvements to combat and stealth. If Victory is the game that successfully tidies up the loose ends of these new systems, then Amancio's team should be thanked for what it started.

SpiritOfNevaeh
02-06-2015, 04:55 PM
Alex Hutchison for me.

He was looking to take AC elements to a new level and I believe he accomplished most of that in AC3. :)

Pandassin
02-06-2015, 05:24 PM
Amancio had good ideas for AC Unity, however I voted Ashraf Ismail. He seemed really passionate about AC4 and was probably just as excited as we were for the release. I really hope he's the director for Victory.

dimbismp
02-06-2015, 05:30 PM
Btw, just so you know, this poll kinda mixes Producers (Balabanov was a producer), Game and Creative Directors (for example Ashraf was the Game Director of ACIV but not the Creative one, while Amancio was Creative Director of ACU but not the game one)... if that matters for anybody, lol.
Oops! :eek:
Maybe i should have said something like "lead developer"...

dimbismp
02-06-2015, 05:32 PM
Amancio had good ideas for AC Unity, however I voted Ashraf Ismail. He seemed really passionate about AC4 and was probably just as excited as we were for the release. I really hope he's the director for Victory.
I highly doubt it.ACV must have been in development for at least 2 years now.Ashraf was the director of ACIV back then.

foru00ms
02-06-2015, 05:40 PM
Is it responsibility of amancio that UNITY became the worst game?

Farlander1991
02-06-2015, 05:45 PM
Oops! :eek:
Maybe i should have said something like "lead developer"...

Well, that was also would be not so correct I think. For example, Jean Gusdon is the creative director of ACIV, is he not a 'lead developer'? ;)

dimbismp
02-06-2015, 05:47 PM
Well, that was also would be not so correct I think. For example, Jean Gusdon is the creative director of ACIV, is he not a 'lead developer'? ;)

You have point there.But,we,the fans,are under the impression that every game has a lead developer.
BTW the guy you mentioned is now the "lead developer" of all the series,iirc.

Megas_Doux
02-06-2015, 09:55 PM
Alex Hutchison for me.

He was looking to take AC elements to a new level and I believe he accomplished most of that in AC3. :)

There only 3 open assassinations in AC III, the linearity of that game is almost offensive ;p thus I have to think otherwise. I believe your definition suits Amancio more, considering Unity´s gameplay direction.

I have yet to vote, by the way.

Hans684
02-06-2015, 10:43 PM
Patrice made a grounding for the series but didn't evolve it after the original, he defiantly is the Altaïr of the series. Legend and wise while knowing the core but he doesn't improve as much as Amancio(step-father of the series). Patrice ditched the gray area and made more easy combat(AC2/ACB) and Amancio evolved it but Ismail balanced what there was and did what he can while also caring for the story. So I'll vote Ismail. Black flag may be easy and "pirates creed" but it takes advantage of the era thought the core. It may not be a challenge but the additions is filtered trough the core and evolves it. The Amancio knows how to advance the core but dumbes down the story in favor of gameplay only(he even admitted that he favored gameplay over story). Alex care to much fir the story and gives a linear uncharted like experience, it's good on it's own but it doesn't do much in a long shot, it's gameplay wise average. A guilty pleasure gameplay. In terms of gameplay my vote go to Amancio but for balance if goes to Ismail and for the heart of AC it goes to Patrice. He made it easy and dumbed down the story but it structured good. AC2 may not be my favorite but it's structured with heart.

SixKeys
02-06-2015, 11:12 PM
I do have to give Hutchinson credit for some bold decisions. AC was stuck in a routine at the time, what with three Ezio games in a row sharing the same mechanics and gameplay elements. AC3 tried to do some different things, quite a lot in fact. It revamped the parkour, introduced nature and hunting, introduced ship battles, new combat system, trading system, reworked assassin recruits, reworked notoriety and blending, a non-white protagonist etc. Not all of it was implemented successfully, most likely due to lack of time, but I will commend them for trying to refresh the formula.

wvstolzing
02-06-2015, 11:24 PM
1. Ashraf
2. Amancio
3. Patrice

JustPlainQuirky
02-06-2015, 11:31 PM
None.

No favorite director, writer, or composer.

I only favor results. Each person has risk of screwing up or chance of surprising people.

Fatal-Feit
02-07-2015, 12:46 AM
I'm not a fan of Patrice's work. I love AC1 (mildly), but ACB and ACB were not very good Assassin's Creed games. Ashraf Ismail made a fantastic game that I still consider one of the best AC to date (the only AC to receive more than a 7 from me), but he only made one game and it wasn't particularly my personal favorite. Despite the flak Alex Amancio receives as of late, I find his work to be the best of ACs.

Altair1789
02-07-2015, 12:55 AM
I think Hutchinson was the best in my opinion

D.I.D.
02-07-2015, 01:10 AM
I'm not a fan of Patrice's work. I love AC1 (mildly), but ACB and ACB were not very good Assassin's Creed games. Ashraf Ismail made a fantastic game that I still consider one of the best AC to date (the only AC to receive more than a 7 from me), but he only made one game and it wasn't particularly my personal favorite. Despite the flak Alex Amancio receives as of late, I find his work to be the best of ACs.

I agree that Unity's the best AC, but it also had the advantage of being the first new gen AC which makes this thread a bit redundant. Much as it's not really fair to those CDs of the past to compare the scope of their work to the latest AC, we don't really know how Unity stacks up until the other CDs get a turn on the new hardware (and even then, there's still that "standing on the shoulders of giants" thing going on!).

That's the weird thing about this series -- sometimes there are genuinely patchy entries, but generally speaking the games have been a serious step-up for the industry in one way or another in the time they were released. They just lose their shine quickly, but that's partly because new ACs tend to kill old ACs.

king-hailz
02-07-2015, 10:55 AM
Patrice Desilets by FAR! He started it all! He came up with the concept, if it wasn't for him there would be no other games... Every game he has made bas been amazing! I can't wait for his upcoming game because I am way more excited for that then the next AC...

kriegerdesgottes
02-08-2015, 01:09 AM
Oh Patrice hands down. I really think AC was his baby. Alex Amancio is the worst in my opinion. I couldn't believe they let him do Unity after doing Revelations. What were they thinking?

Perk89
02-08-2015, 02:09 AM
I liked Revelations. It was a great game. But after the absolutely disaster that was Unity from both a gameplay and story standpoint, I think it's quite likely that Amancio is on some real thin ice.

looking at that resume', I think you'd have to give Patrice the victory. AC got some heat for being underwhelming, but you saw the direction they wanted to take the game and that manifests in the next two installments which are considered the series' high point by most.

not to do any injustice to AC3 and BF, mind you. Liked both of them as well.