PDA

View Full Version : Why no ability to save/load games?

Fimbul Fambi
02-04-2015, 09:40 PM
I have really been enjoying AC Black Flag. There isn't enough time or space to list all of its strong points. The one thing that I dislike about it is that there is no way to save or load games. Before anyone says that the game saves automatically, it doesn't save where I want it to save. Nor does it load from the points where it saves.

I appreciate hard encounters that take time to master, but sometimes I only have a small amount of time to play - work, sleep and family take priority. If it takes me an hour to do something complex, and then I blow the scenario, I don't have the time or interest to spend that hour again and again and again. I'm on my 17th try to locate James Kidd fairly early in the game .And if I get in over my head, I'd like to be able to load an earlier save and bypass the harder objective until a later time.

wvstolzing
02-04-2015, 09:47 PM
I have really been enjoying AC Black Flag. There isn't enough time or space to list all of its strong points. The one thing that I dislike about it is that there is no way to save or load games. Before anyone says that the game saves automatically, it doesn't save where I want it to save. Nor does it load from the points where it saves.

Can you give some examples? How about all the other AC games?

Whenever you do anything that's significant (i.e., goes into the overall 'statistics' -- e.g., getting any collectible) it should save. Regardless whether it loads from the *exact* point at which you then quit the game, you nevertheless start in the same region, with all the right 'stats' (items, achievements, story advancement, whatever).

Whenever I want to start in a particular region on my *next* run, I either simply sail there, or, if it's inland, do a redundant sync on a sync point.

Being an 'old timer', I'm never quite comfortable with autosaves, but on AC I've never lost progression on anything.

Fimbul Fambi
02-04-2015, 11:46 PM
Can you give some examples? How about all the other AC games?

While attempting to locate James Kidd in the early part of the game, you are instructed to sneak past the enemy without being detected and without killing anyone. I sneak past several, climb a wall, knock out 2, sneak past another, climb another wall, knock out another - then get caught and have to do everything I have just described over again. I've seen the save icon several times during this sequence of events.

I haven't played any of the other games, so I don't know about them.

LadyGahan
02-05-2015, 01:01 AM
It honestly looks like you did not get to a checkpoint. Yes, they might be annoying but they have their purpose of getting you through a part of gameplay that is related, then you get the checkpoint, and if you fail in the next part of this mission, you will respawn at that checkpoint.
I also have no reason to have a specific loading/saving feature. I can replay my missions whenever I can and checkpoints help too.

SixKeys
02-05-2015, 01:56 AM
AC has the best quick-save system I've seen. In most other games manual saving is high priority for me, but in AC your progress is saved often enough IMO. In fact sometimes it's annoying for full sync purposes when your progress gets saved before you get the optional objective and reloading the last checkpoint throws you right back where you just were two seconds ago.

Jackdaw951
02-05-2015, 03:27 PM
While attempting to locate James Kidd in the early part of the game, you are instructed to sneak past the enemy without being detected and without killing anyone. I sneak past several, climb a wall, knock out 2, sneak past another, climb another wall, knock out another - then get caught and have to do everything I have just described over again. I've seen the save icon several times during this sequence of events.

I haven't played any of the other games, so I don't know about them.

You just described my most-hated sequence in the game. Any mistake has you repeating a good chunk of it. It's the perfect example of the bad old stuff that we have been clamoring against. Our cries were heard in Unity, thankfully. There is very little of such obtuseness here.

But what you're asking for has never been a part of AC games. We have never been able to save anywhere, as in old PC games like Doom. AC works on a checkpoint system. At least in AC4, you have a title menu, from where you can choose one of three save files. In Unity, that facility is gone. You have no control at all over your saved progress, other than to delete it entirely.