PDA

View Full Version : Keeping up with the team...

CrazyDyck
01-08-2004, 06:57 PM
Hi all. I've had this game for a long time, but other duties prevent the enjoyment of it. However, I've run out of money in renovating my house so now I have more time to get back into some gaming. Two things to bring up - 1) how can I keep up with the AI flight when they take off? I set flaps for takeoff, engage WEP right off the bat and open the radiator. Rate of climb is 500 fpm and air speed about 180, and the others seem to rocket away from me. I find I have to cut the corners on the way points just to catch up. Any way to keep pace? When I try to use pitch control, I end up slogging the engine and it doesn't help any so I end up leaving on full "fine" during the climbout. I know the second game has engine management, but I've decided to wait for the next generation game to come out. I've also noticed that trim controls don't seem to work at all.
2) I've downloaded the 1.2ov patch, but can't seem to figure out how to convert the language to English (though with a Russian accent I'm hoping, to maintain some of the flavour of the game). I was hoping an option would come up to choose a language in the menu, but I don't see anything as such.

Thanks in advance for any help provided,

Crazydick

CrazyDyck
01-08-2004, 06:57 PM
Hi all. I've had this game for a long time, but other duties prevent the enjoyment of it. However, I've run out of money in renovating my house so now I have more time to get back into some gaming. Two things to bring up - 1) how can I keep up with the AI flight when they take off? I set flaps for takeoff, engage WEP right off the bat and open the radiator. Rate of climb is 500 fpm and air speed about 180, and the others seem to rocket away from me. I find I have to cut the corners on the way points just to catch up. Any way to keep pace? When I try to use pitch control, I end up slogging the engine and it doesn't help any so I end up leaving on full "fine" during the climbout. I know the second game has engine management, but I've decided to wait for the next generation game to come out. I've also noticed that trim controls don't seem to work at all.
2) I've downloaded the 1.2ov patch, but can't seem to figure out how to convert the language to English (though with a Russian accent I'm hoping, to maintain some of the flavour of the game). I was hoping an option would come up to choose a language in the menu, but I don't see anything as such.

Crazydick

rcorporon
01-08-2004, 08:15 PM
In response to #1: Stay VERY low, and don't climb much until you reach a speed where you can keep up with your team, then climb to meet them.

#2 - Not so sure.

Ronnie

XyZspineZyX
01-09-2004, 12:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CrazyDyck:

Crazydick<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

unzip the BBQ speechpack and place the .wav files in the appropriate files. This will take a while as the russian and german voices are mixed together. I've sepateated the russian voices and am working on the german voices, putting them in separate files. Be sure to back up your original files first.
You can find the voice files in your FB folder, typically:
C:\Program Files\Ubi Soft\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles (or IL-2 Sturmovik if you have the original game)\samples\Speech

Send me a PT if you can't find the BBQ pack and I'll send it to you as a zipfile.

"AF Four-Five, it appears that your engine is...oh, I see you've already ejected."
-unknown ATC transmission.

http://www.il2airracing.com/images/IL2AirRacing.gif

CrazyDyck
01-09-2004, 10:54 AM
OK, thanks for the info. I managed to get to the third mission and stay with the squad mates - I guess I need to have more flying finesse. I'll try your BBQ unzip and see how that works.

Crazydick

ps: what to you mean by "PT"?

Thanks again.

owlwatcher
01-09-2004, 11:04 AM
1) Keeping up with the Ai might not be worth the effort. They fly better. Alot of people just use autopilot for the climb.
2) no idea

Jetbuff
01-09-2004, 11:21 AM
Keeping up with the AI (and even outpacing them) is a simple exercise in flight physics. Fly at YOUR plane's best climb speed, take-off without flaps for max speed, keep radiator at position 2 at the most and cut corners as necessary.

That said, you might want to avoid flying WITH the AI, get close to them but don't fly formation. They are TERRIBLE at changing directions, turning so hard they will run in to you or each other. I just had a 30 minute flight cut short by no3 deciding he was too far from no.1 just as no.1 broke right. I got sandwiched in between and KABLAMO! A 24 mission 28-kill campaign was no more.

I find DCG's campaigns to be more AI-friendly though, so might be worth a try.

http://members.rogers.com/teemaz/sig.jpg

horseback
01-09-2004, 02:10 PM
In the original IL-2, the FMs were radically changed by the patches, making the original career missions much more difficult for the player, particularly in the early Russian fighter missions. The AI, having a simplified FM, are still able to reach the waypoint on schedule. As noted in earlier posts, stay low, get your speed up, and then climb at your best speed and trim.

I have a HOTAS rig (hands on throttle and stick) with rudder pedals that gives me two 8-position POV hats, and I've assigned rudder and elevator trim to the cardinal points on the POV hat that's hardest to reach. The trim requires almost constant adjustment according to throttle (rudder trim) and speed (elevator trim), just as in RL, and the hat switch allows me to do this quicker than the keyboard, and it's more intuitive. Being able to toggle your radiator is also a good thing.

In the Russian fighter career, you change planes fairly often, and each aircraft has different trim and climb characteristics, so it'll be a constant learning process. The German career is a little easier, simply due to the same aircraft in various models, and less patch adjustment in FM. However, I was desperate to get out of the 109F-2, which is painfully undergunned.

I've also found that 'warming up' in QMB in the same plane type before my career missions was always helpful.

If you don't mind flying 'Blue' missions, I'd recommend the Barbarossa Campaign set, which is put out by Matrox, I think. It used to be available online for free from the original developer (which is how I got it), but you know how some people like getting paid for their work. It offers something like 250 missions for both 109 and 190 careers, and it skips from the 109E to the 109F-4, which features a 20mm nose gun. The difficulty gradually increases as you go (Red pilots increase in skill over the course of your campaigns, although you still catch the occasional clueless flight of three or four), and I found it very enjoyable.

I saw the Russian and German voices as more immersive than problematic, although the failure of your flight leader to ID himself or your flight makes knowing what instructions to follow a pain.

Hope these tips help.

Cheers

horseback

"Here's your new Mustangs, boys. You can learn to fly'em on the way to the target. Cheers!" -LTCOL Don Blakeslee, 4th FG CO, February 27th, 1944

jazman777
01-09-2004, 03:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CrazyDyck:
Hi all. I've had this game for a long time, but other duties prevent the enjoyment of it. However, I've run out of money in renovating my house so now I have more time to get back into some gaming. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Proof that lack of money can be a good thing. But you're probably really wanting that $$$TrackIR$$$ (if you don't have one already).

---
Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under - H. L. Mencken

jazman777
01-09-2004, 03:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by owlwatcher:
1) Keeping up with the Ai might not be worth the effort. They fly better. Alot of people just use autopilot for the climb.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I was playing a Finnish campaign flying a B-239 (love that plane, BTW). NO WAY to keep up with my flight mates. Tried autopilot, and the _AI_ couldn't keep up! I was tail-end-charlie showing up at the battles late.

---

jazman777
01-09-2004, 03:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jetbuff:
That said, you might want to avoid flying WITH the AI, get close to them but don't fly formation. They are TERRIBLE at changing directions, turning so hard they will run in to you or each other. I just had a 30 minute flight cut short by no3 deciding he was too far from no.1 just as no.1 broke right. I got sandwiched in between and KABLAMO! A 24 mission 28-kill campaign was no more.

I find DCG's campaigns to be more AI-friendly though, so might be worth a try.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I found the built-in dgen much less suicidal than DCG (I will not try to explain why or insist it's that way for everyone). I can't use DCG, because half of my side's casualties were collisions! I remember a two-flight mission in 109s and, I kid you not, one flight just destroyed itself completely, before we even got to the battlefield. And stuff like this was happening every mission.

---

CrazyDyck
01-10-2004, 03:10 PM
Thanks for all your input. I feel better knowing that its not just my (lack of)skill that's making it difficult to keep up. By the time I reach the dogfight, its over half the time. I also appreciate that tip regarding using POV for trim - that's good one (using the Wingman Force3D)

Crazydick

XyZspineZyX
01-10-2004, 08:17 PM

ps: what to you mean by "PT"?

Thanks again.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

PT stands for Private Topic. Click "My Space"/"Contacts" and write my username at the bottom of the page. Click "Search", then click "Add". Then go to "Contacts" and click my username. Go to the bottom of the page and click "Start a Private Topic with Beebop_54"Give me an e-mail address and I'll send you the BBQ pack.

http://www.il2airracing.com/images/IL2AirRacing.gif
http://www.il2airracing.com/