PDA

View Full Version : My experience with Unity after GPU upgrade

dargor5
01-30-2015, 11:36 PM
We all know Unity is not an optimized game for, but neither are any of the other games recently released (FC4, Unity, Watchdogs, Dying Light).

I was on a 780 with a very smooth framerate after a few tweaks (about 47-60) and I recently got a 980 and things had not changed that much. I'm still using my old settings and tweaks just that now I get 60fps across the board, on roof and at street level.

Point is, game nowdays are not optimized for pc as they used to. We all got used to having 2 and 3 year old hardware and been able to run everything max out very smooth. Sadly that age seems to have come to an end and even having the top tier GPU doesn't cut it.

My point is, if you are planning to upgrade your GPU for Unity (or for future proofing as I did) it is worth it, to me nothing beats a constant 60fps, you don't have to be and fps freak to tell the difference when the game dips below 50 or when it's at 60. Just know that still after it you are probably not going to crank everything all the way up and honestly not everything has to be cranked all the way up to look good.

If you guys are curious check out my thread with sweet fx on: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/992128-Assassin-s-Creed-Unity-SweetFX-The-REAL-way-it-s-meant-to-be-played

I'm still using the same sweetfx preset and ingame graphic settings as in those screenshots, the diference is that now I don't get frame rate dips, except in cutscenes were it can go to 45 but that's much better than 30.

PS: the 5-10 second freeze is gone, played for 2 hours and nothing o.o so it wasn't a CPU after all

ecocrash
01-31-2015, 02:36 PM
Sorry, but I can't imagine buying a graphics card for over 450 pounds, maybe a 290x at 215.00 is my max, not only that but since the bitcoin craze, etc you can't get 2nd hand cards as cheaply anymore, even on ebay, gumtree, etc.

dargor5
01-31-2015, 03:30 PM
Sorry, but I can't imagine buying a graphics card for over 450 pounds, maybe a 290x at 215.00 is my max, not only that but since the bitcoin craze, etc you can't get 2nd hand cards as cheaply anymore, even on ebay, gumtree, etc.

True story, thats one of the drawbacks of pc gaming, more so now than ever that games are not really optimized for pc. I would advise against buying AMD, I have yet to see one of the newer games not have trouble with amd.

fashric
01-31-2015, 04:23 PM
True story, thats one of the drawbacks of pc gaming, more so now than ever that games are not really optimized for pc. I would advise against buying AMD, I have yet to see one of the newer games not have trouble with amd.

Lol like what? Do you even own an AMD card?

dargor5
01-31-2015, 04:32 PM
Lol like what? Do you even own an AMD card?
No I dont because I've seen many people on forums on different games claiming poor performance not only on "next gen" titles but since way back so Ive neverngone with amd for that reson. Though from I've seen now is worst than ever

Latstyle
01-31-2015, 05:46 PM
i cant understand why you drag Dying Light in same bag with FC4, Unity, Watchdogs? it runs smooth.. i finished game yesterday.. all on max settings.. not a single glitch/freeze or anything.. so i can say that Dying Light was made good from the start.. and actually about AMD... Dying Light got problems with AMD GPU and CPUs right now.. (not on all CPUs tho as i understood) but people with ADM GPUs complains alot.. they have much lower fps and lags..
btw my specs are FX8350/STRIX GTX 980 with latest drivers.

tcarlisle2012
01-31-2015, 06:51 PM
Let me first say that I understand the frustration of having to have higher end GPU hardware to play the latest games. But what tends to happen in forums is misinformation breeds. One person says "I can't get 60 fps on my system that has a GPU that was groundbreaking three years ago..... and I can play other games at 60 fps just fine, so that means Ubisoft hasn't optimized the game for the PC."

What does "optimize for PC" even mean? Is it looking for the line someone forgot to put in the code that says:

if (platform=="PC") {
MakeGameFaster3D();
}

No. What optimize means is make the best performance to graphics quality trade-off that can be done to make the game perform best across the hardware that is considered supported with the best visuals within those hardware constraints.

If gamers are going to hold the expectation that all games must hold 60 fps, and do that on GPU hardware as low as GTX-650, then games are going to be developed with a much lower target for graphics quality.

We all hope that there is something missed by the Ubisoft team, and hoping that is found in patch 5, and then GTX-650 can run at 60fps, and GTX-980 will then run at 80fps.

Game development is done these days via use of a 3D game engine. There are many out there such as CryEngine, Unreal Engine, & Unity which are all published for public use. Then you have the private ones which are developed in house for use by that companies development teams only. The one used by Ubisoft is private,
and is called Anvil Next and is what powers ACU and probably many others.

The game engine handles all the complexity at the hardware levels and such, so that the developers can build the 3D world using pretty much a GUI interface and the engine compiles for all the platforms targeted and spits out the end result.

I doubt there is anything that Ubisoft will find within the engine that has been done inefficiently, etc. So what will happen -- to satisfy the complaints of 30fps on $150 video cards, is strip out objects, lighting/shading, textures, etc.

And if they are pressed by the user community to lower the hardware requirement, these games will then become as visually complex and appealing as Grand Theft Auto IV. Speaking of GTA4, if you search forums and such for that game, you will find that around the time of original release the user community was equally upset that GTA4 raised the GPU hardware bar.

I've been playing games on PC since commander keen with EGA graphics. The evolution of games over the past 20 years is phenomenal; but that evolution happened by studios embracing the latest 3d game/GPU technology and pushing the industry.

The good news is that once the average PC consumer has adopted GTX 9xx hardware, it will be quite a few years before GTX 9xx is considered low end/obsolete. Another piece of good news is NVidia recently released the GTX-960, which has a price point of about $200 USD. I am sure that won't perform quite like a 980, but probably better than a GTX 7xx series card, at a lower price point.

fashric
01-31-2015, 08:26 PM
No I dont because I've seen many people on forums on different games claiming poor performance not only on "next gen" titles but since way back so Ive neverngone with amd for that reson. Though from I've seen now is worst than ever

I have had 2 (sli) gtx 780's and a 290X in the last 12 months and both cards performed exactly as expected apart from SLI being a total mess. So I can tell you what you have read is either user incompetence or just made up. You should try reading actual card reviews and not rely on people who probably have no idea what they are talking about when buying a card.

naumaan
01-31-2015, 09:02 PM
thank you for sharing your experience .. I am looking forward to buy a new system ... and its very helpful

AherasSTRG
01-31-2015, 09:06 PM
But what tends to happen in forums is misinformation breeds.

And it seems that you are part of the problem. Because that:

What optimize means is make the best performance to graphics quality trade-off that can be done to make the game perform best across the hardware that is considered supported with the best visuals within those hardware constraints.

is not what optimisation is.

Changing a C procedure from:

int add (int a, int b)
{
c = a + b
return c
}

to:

int add (int a, int b)
{
return a + b
}

is optimisation. Optimisation is about making a piece of software do the same thing faster or using less resources. What you are describing is not optimisation. It's making your program do less in order to compensate for the lack of resources. That is something else entirely.

dargor5
01-31-2015, 11:01 PM
I have had 2 (sli) gtx 780's and a 290X in the last 12 months and both cards performed exactly as expected apart from SLI being a total mess. So I can tell you what you have read is either user incompetence or just made up. You should try reading actual card reviews and not rely on people who probably have no idea what they are talking about when buying a card.

This discussion is not for whats better amd or nvidia, which at this point since amd is not that cheap anymore is like that old debate, which is better? An Ipod or a Zune?

Diarmuid_III
01-31-2015, 11:55 PM
We all know Unity is not an optimized game for, but neither are any of the other games recently released (FC4, Unity, Watchdogs, Dying Light).

I was on a 780 with a very smooth framerate after a few tweaks (about 47-60) and I recently got a 980 and things had not changed that much. I'm still using my old settings and tweaks just that now I get 60fps across the board, on roof and at street level.

Point is, game nowdays are not optimized for pc as they used to. We all got used to having 2 and 3 year old hardware and been able to run everything max out very smooth. Sadly that age seems to have come to an end and even having the top tier GPU doesn't cut it.

My point is, if you are planning to upgrade your GPU for Unity (or for future proofing as I did) it is worth it, to me nothing beats a constant 60fps, you don't have to be and fps freak to tell the difference when the game dips below 50 or when it's at 60. Just know that still after it you are probably not going to crank everything all the way up and honestly not everything has to be cranked all the way up to look good.

If you guys are curious check out my thread with sweet fx on: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/992128-Assassin-s-Creed-Unity-SweetFX-The-REAL-way-it-s-meant-to-be-played

I'm still using the same sweetfx preset and ingame graphic settings as in those screenshots, the diference is that now I don't get frame rate dips, except in cutscenes were it can go to 45 but that's much better than 30.

PS: the 5-10 second freeze is gone, played for 2 hours and nothing o.o so it wasn't a CPU after all

Interesting information. I was considering upgrading GPU but it looks like it isn't worth it. I am running with a GTX 660 and its running fine.

dargor5
02-01-2015, 12:05 AM
Interesting information. I was considering upgrading GPU but it looks like it isn't worth it. I am running with a GTX 660 and its running fine.

You should, have you had any freezing? (freezing is everything literally freezes for 2-4 seconds you can't even alt+tab during this freeze). I use to have this with my 780 every other hour but been playing for hours today and nothing, I thought it was a CPU thing but know I'm not so sure

fashric
02-02-2015, 12:04 AM
This discussion is not for whats better amd or nvidia, which at this point since amd is not that cheap anymore is like that old debate, which is better? An Ipod or a Zune?

I'm not trying to tell you which is better I'm just calling you out on posting rubbish about something you have no idea about.

Diarmuid_III
02-05-2015, 12:08 AM
You should, have you had any freezing? (freezing is everything literally freezes for 2-4 seconds you can't even alt+tab during this freeze). I use to have this with my 780 every other hour but been playing for hours today and nothing, I thought it was a CPU thing but know I'm not so sure

No freezing. All plays perfectly well, ignoring the in-game glitches.

tcarlisle2012
02-07-2015, 05:16 PM
And it seems that you are part of the problem. Because that:

is optimisation. Optimisation is about making a piece of software do the same thing faster or using less resources. What you are describing is not optimisation. It's making your program do less in order to compensate for the lack of resources. That is something else entirely.

Yes, optimization means maximum compute performance (minimum process time) consuming the least resources. Why didn't you further optimize your optimized code example? Because that is about as far as can be done. You've reached the point where there is no more optimization to be done.

Yes, you could break out the assembly language and re-code but the time you spend doing that will not result in any material difference to people running anything better than an 8080 based PC.The guy running the 8080 is going to be screaming "it isn't optimized".

Ubisoft is not going to dig too far under the hood of their gaming engine to re-code it. Perhaps they have done a deep dive and found there isn't anything that can be done, and the only option to improve performance would be to reduce quality/detail, number of objects, etc.

If it is possible to produce games of this level of graphics quality and get much better performance, then some other studio is going to do that, and capture a lot of market share.I doubt that is going to happen and instead we are just at the point where the bar has been raised on GPU hardware minimum requirements.

Mo0rk
02-07-2015, 06:47 PM
@tcarlisle2012 Please, spare me the Ubisoft fanboy BS. I've been a customer of this company for years, and all I've heard is their lies.

For Your Information, Unity IS UNOPTIMIZED. I have 770's in SLI, 32gb of dominator ram, and an i7 4930k and cannot achieve constant 60fps in 1080p at high settings. It's not even 12 months since the GTX 7xx range was state of the art so I should definitely be expecting 60fps in SLI at higher than mid-range settings with two cards that are near top-end of that range! Yes, the graphics are good but not "that" good that it's unreasonable to expect better performance on my rig. The cut-scenes particularly are jittery and immersion breaking and this is unacceptable. I would say there is plenty of optimization to do.

Your lack of knowledge regarding coding/optimization has already been signposted by another user. And, yes, in that simple example there is not much more optimization to do but guess what? AC Unity is little more complex than that! On top of that I will add that your previous statement about a 960 out-performing the 7xx range cards also shows your lack of knowledge. A 960 will outperform a 760 yes, but it WILL NOT outperform a 770 or 780 and if you had done any research at all into these matters you would not have made such a statement.

All in all, your posts just show how ignorant you are. Also, I cannot abide a customer defending a company that screw him, and the rest of us, over so badly. The truth is that Ubisoft have for years now, profiteered from us while putting out sub-standard garbage and then subsequently fobbing us off with disingenuous "compensation". In my opinion, based on Ubi's selfish, mercenary, profiteering behavior of recent years, plus the performance of this crappy game on my rather decent system, it is ENTIRELY more believable that the game is unoptimized than fully optimized.

Get your head out of the clouds man!

wvstolzing
02-08-2015, 12:06 AM
Has nVidia shipped the driver update that enables MFAA?

If so, have you tried it on ACU? How does it work?

Also, how taxing is HBAO+ on the system in general?

My new system will be an i7 4790 + GTX970 (still 2 weeks to go), so I'm curious about some of those features.

dargor5
02-08-2015, 04:49 AM
@tcarlisle2012 Please, spare me the Ubisoft fanboy BS. I've been a customer of this company for years, and all I've heard is their lies.

For Your Information, Unity IS UNOPTIMIZED. I have 770's in SLI, 32gb of dominator ram, and an i7 4930k and cannot achieve constant 60fps in 1080p at high settings. It's not even 12 months since the GTX 7xx range was state of the art so I should definitely be expecting 60fps in SLI at higher than mid-range settings with two cards that are near top-end of that range! Yes, the graphics are good but not "that" good that it's unreasonable to expect better performance on my rig. The cut-scenes particularly are jittery and immersion breaking and this is unacceptable. I would say there is plenty of optimization to do.

Your lack of knowledge regarding coding/optimization has already been signposted by another user. And, yes, in that simple example there is not much more optimization to do but guess what? AC Unity is little more complex than that! On top of that I will add that your previous statement about a 960 out-performing the 7xx range cards also shows your lack of knowledge. A 960 will outperform a 760 yes, but it WILL NOT outperform a 770 or 780 and if you had done any research at all into these matters you would not have made such a statement.

All in all, your posts just show how ignorant you are. Also, I cannot abide a customer defending a company that screw him, and the rest of us, over so badly. The truth is that Ubisoft have for years now, profiteered from us while putting out sub-standard garbage and then subsequently fobbing us off with disingenuous "compensation". In my opinion, based on Ubi's selfish, mercenary, profiteering behavior of recent years, plus the performance of this crappy game on my rather decent system, it is ENTIRELY more believable that the game is unoptimized than fully optimized.

Get your head out of the clouds man!

Im with tcarlisle2012, maybe that makes me a fanboy because I can run the game just fine? The only issues I have have been glitches mostly but performance since patch 1.3 has been great all around. It did improve after OCing my cpu and the adition of the 980. Is the game very well optimized for pc, no, but is not crappy, graphics are good, and they were still good with my previous 780 just not at constant 60fps like now

Has nVidia shipped the driver update that enables MFAA?

If so, have you tried it on ACU? How does it work?

Also, how taxing is HBAO+ on the system in general?

My new system will be an i7 4790 + GTX970 (still 2 weeks to go), so I'm curious about some of those features.

Yes the new drivers already have the Mother Freaking Anti Aliasing :p
I tied mfaa on unity and it sucks the big one, I rather stick with FXAA, TXAA gives good performance but theres some blurryness I dont like.
HBAO+ is not one of the most taxying settings according to the nvidia guide, actually this is the one that Ive never lowered, not even on my previous card.
You might want to ask the people that already owns 970 they seem to be having some problems