PDA

View Full Version : How is MFAA in Unity?

dargor5
01-29-2015, 05:32 PM
Hello, this is a question for those with cards capable of MFAA, for those who don't know that's short for Mother Freaking Anti Aliasing.

I was looking at getting a 980 and wonder how this AA works with Unity, I don't see the option ingame as I have a 780 but I know that it could also be activated through nvidia control panel.

PS: I know what MFAA stands for, it just sounds more bad *** the other way :P

PSS: please no comments like "Don't get a new GPU for Unity this game works like &&$@%$" I love the game, and I'm not only getting it cause of Unity

redeye_game
01-29-2015, 05:42 PM
Runs decently on my GTX970 and looks very smooth,

You can only enable it in the Nvidia Control Panel currently, afaik. Not sure if games will have native support in the future. It's essentially a modification to 2xMSAA (which you have to enable to make it work).

dargor5
01-29-2015, 05:49 PM
Runs decently on my GTX970 and looks very smooth,

You can only enable it in the Nvidia Control Panel currently, afaik. Not sure if games will have native support in the future. It's essentially a modification to 2xMSAA (which you have to enable to make it work).

How are your framrates (if you watch that sort of thing) and other settings in game? I'm currently at 50-60fps with low shadows and FXAA, everything else on ultra and 1080p resolution

Green_Reaper
01-29-2015, 07:44 PM
Do you guys know if MFAA is more taxing on the GPU than FXAA?

dargor5
01-29-2015, 08:12 PM

thios would be interesting to know since it's not an ingame feature

Numbtoyou
01-29-2015, 09:13 PM

MFAA is def. more taxing than FXAA, FXAA is full screen post processing AA. MFAA is basically a different algorithm for MSAA. Unity is one of the few games i actually prefer the FXAA, other methods seem to cause issues with the trees looking bare, and details on Arno get blurred to oblivion. That said, MFAA does work quite well in everything I've used it on.

dargor5
01-30-2015, 05:25 PM
MFAA is def. more taxing than FXAA, FXAA is full screen post processing AA. MFAA is basically a different algorithm for MSAA. Unity is one of the few games i actually prefer the FXAA, other methods seem to cause issues with the trees looking bare, and details on Arno get blurred to oblivion. That said, MFAA does work quite well in everything I've used it on.

Would you say performance and graphical quality is better than MSAA all cranked up?

YazX_
01-30-2015, 07:45 PM
MFAA is enabled by driver and not specifically in-game, you can enable it by setting AA in game to MSAA whether 2xMSAA or 4xMSAA, but you need to enable it in Nvidia Control Panel, Nvidia is supporting few games now and adding support for other games in future.

the way MFAA works in terms of performance, it gives you the quality of 4xMSAA with 2xMSAA option and performance, same thing for 8xMSAA with 4xMSAA performance, as an example, you set 2xMSAA in-game, you will get 4xMSAA quality with the same 2xMSAA performance. However, MSAA is superior AA but its very taxing compared to other AA options.

Numbtoyou
01-30-2015, 10:39 PM
MFAA is enabled by driver and not specifically in-game, you can enable it by setting AA in game to MSAA whether 2xMSAA or 4xMSAA, but you need to enable it in Nvidia Control Panel, Nvidia is supporting few games now and adding support for other games in future.

MFAA was allowed to be enabled for all ( or nearly all) dx10/11 games in the most recent driver. As far as quality? It looks like MSAA, if you like 4x MSAA you can get it for the processing cost of about 2x MSAA ( note the ABOUT, NVIDIA claims 2x, but it really isn't quite there, it is a good improvement though). Thats all MFAA does. I like MSAA in most titles, and MFAA has been a great addition, that said. FXAA actually looks best to me in Unity. I've also found AA to be a very personal thing. I know guys who will do super-sampling only and scoff at any other method. I like some AA, and certain things drive me more crazy than others, but the art style and rendering method have huge influence in what AA I choose to use.

Turn it on in the control panel, set MSAA to 4x, see what your performance/image quality do.

dargor5
01-30-2015, 11:05 PM
Got my 980 and tried it. Turns out is not so Mother F*** after all (see what I did there :P) I'll stick with FXAA which now gives me a constant 60fps without dips like before