PDA

View Full Version : ACIV Next Gen Equivalent PC Settings

EdwardKenway174
01-28-2015, 07:24 PM
I'm curious as to exactly where the next-gen consoles fall compared to the PC version of ACIV. Not just vague responses like, "next-gen is like high PC settings," though. I'm curious as to the specifics. Does Black Flag on next-gen consoles, specifically the PS4, use anti-aliasing? If so, what form? What form of ambient occlusion does ACIV on next-gen consoles use? What shadow quality setting on PC best matches the shadows on next-gen consoles? What texture quality setting? What environment quality setting?
While I'm at it, I'm also curious about Unity. What form of ambient occlusion does it use on PS4 and Xbox One? What settings on PC most closely match Unity's graphics on console?
I know that the next-gen (technically the current gen now) consoles are still nowhere near as powerful as top-of-the-line PCs, but I'm curious as how they match up, at least on these particular games. Thank you.

wvstolzing
01-28-2015, 07:39 PM
I'm actually curious about the same thing, and would love to read a properly technical account.

I'm hoping to *approximate* an answer by trial and error on a PC, in a few weeks' time; but the actual details -- especially for the PS4 -- would of course be better.

... and I might as well ask a premature follow-up: From a technical (not an 'economic') standpoint, what would it take to reproduce 'the same thing' in OpenGL? Would there be compromises at all?

Fatal-Feit
01-28-2015, 08:04 PM
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-assassins-creed-unity-face-off

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-assassins-creed-4-next-gen-face-off

ACU is

Res -900p
Env - Very High
Textures - High
Shadows - High
SSAO
AA - FXAA

Black Flag is

Res - 900p/1080p upscale (PS4)
Env - Very High
Textures - High
Shadows - High(?)
SSAO (PS4 uses a unique ver of SSAO)
AA - SMAA
No physX or soft shadows

That's as accurate as it can get.

EdwardKenway174
01-28-2015, 08:55 PM
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-assassins-creed-unity-face-off

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-assassins-creed-4-next-gen-face-off

ACU is

Res -900p
Env - Very High
Textures - High
Shadows - High
SSAO
AA - FXAA

Black Flag is

Env - Very High
Textures - High
Shadows - High(?)
AA - SMAA
No physX or soft shadows

Thanks!

Altair1789
01-29-2015, 12:53 AM

ACU is

Res -900p
Env - Very High
Textures - High
Shadows - High
SSAO
AA - FXAA

Nice, I play on this, except shadows are on low and I have 945p

xPLAY3R1x
01-29-2015, 05:10 AM
First, thanks, for the info. :)

Like others, I am always curious as to the differences between console and PC settings.

That said, the irony is I have a ASUS ROG gaming laptop (along with PS4, XB1 and i7 Gaming PC) circa 2013, and it can play games like Unity @40-50fps at higher settings than current-gen consoles. It's ironic because this means for the next eight to ten years, my laptop is going to be "good to go" for the majority of console games/ports since they still aren't pushing graphical boundaries due to the (already) outdated hardware. PS4 and XB1 have 2010-era hardware...

wvstolzing
01-29-2015, 05:55 AM
First, thanks, for the info. :)

Like others, I am always curious as to the differences between console and PC settings.

That said, the irony is I have a ASUS ROG gaming laptop (along with PS4, XB1 and i7 Gaming PC) circa 2013, and it can play games like Unity @40-50fps at higher settings than current-gen consoles. It's ironic because this means for the next eight to ten years, my laptop is going to be "good to go" for the majority of console games/ports since they still aren't pushing graphical boundaries due to the (already) outdated hardware. PS4 and XB1 have 2010-era hardware...

MS is making some hefty claims about DX12's 'console-like efficiency'; and they're reassuring current PC owners that systems as recent as 2-3 years will be able to benefit from this.

I'm not referencing the odd 'event' they had the other day. Someone here posted a link to the DirectX 'developer's blog', where they go into *some* level of detail, and emphasize (verbatim) that this "isn't mere marketing-talk".

*IF* this is true, combined with the fact that you bring up -- that given the 'realities' of game development, AAA titles will remain 'console ports' for the foreseeable future, then existing high(er)-end PCs should hold themselves pretty well for a while. But then, there might be a catch to all this.

The 'catch' to MS's claims might be that DX12 is restricted to Windows 10, which may yet turn out to be a subscription-like service (ouch!), with all manner of appstore/walled garden restrictions. This is pure hearsay, of course, but people are already talking about MS making an attempt to undercut Valve's business; and this might be the first step -- gradually the latest driver updates, the updates to DirectX, etc., would only be available through the MS appstore 'ecosystem'. They wouldn't ban non-appstore software outright, but they'd make sure it underperforms.

I use Linux as my primary OS (and wouldn't have a reason to keep a Windows license around, if not for AC, Skyrim, GTA, and the Arkham series ... stupid damn games) -- I don't have any grandiose hopes for developments on 'our camp', but interesting things are happening, and they're worth every 'gamer's attention.

Mr_Shade
01-29-2015, 03:46 PM

Black Flag is

Env - Very High
Textures - High
Shadows - High(?)
AA - SMAA
No physX or soft shadows

FYI - relating to resolution of AC:BF:

The PS4 version is 1080p Native. [this was patched in soon after launch] ;)

The Xbox One is 900p [with upscale to 1080p]

xPLAY3R1x
01-29-2015, 05:01 PM
MS is making some hefty claims about DX12's 'console-like efficiency'; and they're reassuring current PC owners that systems as recent as 2-3 years will be able to benefit from this.

I take it DX12 will be backwards compatible like previous DX versions? I ask because most people only have DX11 graphics cards if we are talking two, three year-old hardware.

*IF* this is true, combined with the fact that you bring up -- that given the 'realities' of game development, AAA titles will remain 'console ports' for the foreseeable future, then existing high(er)-end PCs should hold themselves pretty well for a while. But then, there might be a catch to all this.

The 'catch' to MS's claims might be that DX12 is restricted to Windows 10, which may yet turn out to be a subscription-like service (ouch!), with all manner of appstore/walled garden restrictions. This is pure hearsay, of course, but people are already talking about MS making an attempt to undercut Valve's business; and this might be the first step -- gradually the latest driver updates, the updates to DirectX, etc., would only be available through the MS appstore 'ecosystem'. They wouldn't ban non-appstore software outright, but they'd make sure it underperforms

I have a feeling if they tried something like this, they would quickly backpedal and make DX12 free, and/or not cripple Steam, and other Digital games outright because of what happened with the botched XB1 launch. MS and other big corporations like to talk a big game, but when consumer response is not what they intended and threatens the bottom line, they recant. They are fairly predictable in this manner and this is a good thing for consumers, IMO.

Contrary to popular belief, I don't think the games industry is as bad as many people say.

Yes, Unity and Halo:MCC should never have been released in the state they were in (Alpha, Beta), but they actually made the industry wake up and take notice if they keep releasing products like this they WILL lose revenue because consumers are not as dumb as they think. Social Media and other digital channels make it a lot easier and faster for boycotts and bad word-of-mouth to spread than just a decade ago, and this i s a good thing as it keeps all industries honest.

Mr_Shade
01-29-2015, 05:02 PM
I take it DX12 will be backwards compatible like previous DX versions? I ask because most people only have DX11 graphics cards if we are talking two, three year-old hardware.

My understanding is some DX12 'features' will work on DX11 cards - however for full compatibility you will need a DX12 card.

MS should have more details on the DX12 info sites.

Also games would need to be written to take advantage of DX12.

wvstolzing
01-29-2015, 06:30 PM
Yes, Unity and Halo:MCC should never have been released in the state they were in (Alpha, Beta), but they actually made the industry wake up and take notice if they keep releasing products like this they WILL lose revenue because consumers are not as dumb as they think. Social Media and other digital channels make it a lot easier and faster for boycotts and bad word-of-mouth to spread than just a decade ago, and this i s a good thing as it keeps all industries honest.

That may be true in the limited sphere of games companies. In the case of companies with much wider reach into pretty much every aspect of people's lives, like Apple/Google/Microsoft/Amazon one shouldn't underestimate the insidious ways in which they manipulate consumer behavior, and constrain it.

But people do find creative ways of subverting such schemes -- to give a rough'n'ready example; we have these hideous data-mining websites for 'search' or 'social media'; but the same sites can be used to gather information about how to protect one's privacy.

Regardless of what MS does with DX12, I'll be more interested in developments on the OpenGL - Linux side.

aL_____eX
01-29-2015, 07:07 PM
Env - Very High
Textures - High
Shadows - High(?)
AA - SMAA
No physX or soft shadows
I know it has been mentioned before but the 1080p were native.

xPLAY3R1x
01-29-2015, 07:13 PM
My understanding is some DX12 'features' will work on DX11 cards - however for full compatibility you will need a DX12 card.

MS should have more details on the DX12 info sites.

Also games would need to be written to take advantage of DX12.

Every time we get a new DX API, it takes two, three years at the most for devs to start using the current features. Even now, since everything is a console port (DX10), we've barely scratched the surface of DX11 in terms of the new features like Tessellation, etc. Unity is supposed to get a tessellation patch for PC, but even without it the game is still very playable and immersive (consoles have no choice).

So, this goes back to the previous posts about how game development will be stymied for at least another four, five years simply because the XB1 and PS4 are so far behind hardware-wise. There are games made strictly for PC like "Star Citizen", and indie games, but latter rarely have the resources or budget to implement a lot of the more advanced features an API allows. Of course, most indie games don't even need things like Specular Bump mapping, or Ambient Occlusion, etc.

Numbtoyou
01-29-2015, 09:17 PM
http://www.littletinyfrogs.com/article/460524/DirectX_11_vs_DirectX_12_oversimplified Of interest with regards to DX12. This is the best "basic" explanation of DX 11 -> DX12 I've seen, and what it does and doesn't solve.