PDA

View Full Version : Misguided and Butthurt: Rogue's ending- Fear me Assassins...? [Spoilers]

Mr.Black24
01-27-2015, 07:35 PM
Some people are going to wonder why title it Butthurt and Misguided? Weird right? Simply put, I've decided that whenever I'm going to make an indepth look on a certain topics already on hand, such as Connor's character, the structure of Rogue's story, or a review on Unity,I thought it would be nice and fun to give it a nice title. Mr.Black's "serious time", if you will! Now back to the point......

Well since I have no idea when Rogue will arrive for PC, plus since I have seen the game through walkthroughs on Youtube, I honestly think its time to give my own thoughts on the ending of the Modern Day section of Assassin's Creed Rogue.

Modern Day:

Now if you recall, our modern day Master Templar Knight, Juhani Otso Berg, wanted to send the video footage of Shay Patrick Cormac, the 18th century Assassin turned Templar, who brought the Colonial Brotherhood to its heels. It was a strong, interesting and painful chapter of Shay's life that he had to go through. Making harsh and painful decisions that would break lesser men or women. The massacre of an entire city in Lisbon, due to accidentally unleashed earthquake that killed and injured thousands due to the tampering of the local First Civilization structures and artifacts. A mission he was sent to complete, the incident briefed to his Order, only to be ignored by his fellow brothers and proceeded to blindly find more. For this, he felt that he hand no choice but in order to save the world from destruction, his former Brotherhood must die. Killing your own former friends and allies is not an easy task, however in his belief that that stopping the Assassins will prevent what happened in Lisbon.

His bloodied path is a impressive and praised feat to the Modern day Templars, so much that they decided to send the footage as a message of strength and intimidation to their enemies, the remnants of the modern day Assassin Brotherhood. Putting the scare on them ey, Juhani?

Now let me tell you how dumb that decision is. This comic perfectly describes my feelings:

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/359/5/5/not_so_clever____by_darthdestruktor-d8b5moh.png

Read it again until you understand...yeah...right??? I mean the cunning and dangerous Master Templar Juhani Otso Berg sends video about Shay to the Assassins to...scare them? Boo? Fear me?

Seriously?

How is this going to work? Why did they think it was going to work in the first place? What where the writers thinking? We got not one, but three sets of memories of the Brotherhood's top Master Assassins that brought the Order back from the brink. Altair, Ezio, and most importantly for this analysis, Connor!
Huh? Why Connor? Why is he the special chicken nugget? Are you playing favorites Mr.Black?
No, by fact, Connor is proof that all of Shay's work in destroying the Brotherhood was not the end of the book due to Connor! He helped ignite the American Revolution, shattered the Templar Order, and gave rise to a new generation of the now newly formed American Brotherhood. I mean think this little dialogue for a bit:

Juhani: Fear us! Your time has come Assassins, the world will be lead to a greater glory, with us as their shepherds! Shay is proof of your eventual downfall, HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
William simply tosses video of Connor to Juhani, sipping his tea with no hint of emotion. Footage revels Connor doing his thang.
Juhani:..........:nonchalance:

Sure, the Great Purge must have, and realistically would have, caused psychological damage to the remaining members of the Assassin Brotherhood. But thinking that the Assassins will be scared by Shay's work in the past will happen again...especially with proof of their own members of the past being in worse situations than they are in...I'm not buying it.

It would have made really more sense if Juhani decided to train his own squad of Master Templars to take down the Assassins. I mean he said that he was going to hunt down the Assassins anyway. In Initiates, it was mentioned by the Osaka Assassins that the Templars were planning a new stage of their War, they could have used Shay's memories to help like that and not just some cheap scare tactic. The Assassins are training up new recruits for war. Don't ya think that it would have created for some interesting build up. the Assassins are building up, the Templars are building up, Juno is planning who knows what? They could have had something big. In fact, when Juhani was going to induct the new potential recruit to the Order, it would have created much more hype if the player was going to be the first member of his Assassin hunting team. Coupled with Unity's weak ending, it was a huge letdown for the MD storyline.

I honestly think that the ending is rather limp? What do you think?

Mr_Shade
01-27-2015, 07:46 PM
Might want to remember the spoiler tags..

Shahkulu101
01-27-2015, 07:52 PM
I thought the same thing, but then I saw someone on here saying that it was Otso signaling another purge for the Assassin's.

I don't know how that was explained, maybe I missed the dialogue or didn't read some hacked documents thoroughly enough, but it seems like a good explanation.

BloodyAugust
01-27-2015, 08:35 PM
Would care more if any of the current assassins mattered, besides Rebecca and Shaun they are a faceless mass of nobodies. We are not playing as a actual character in the modern setting, so it feels too impersonal to matter.

VestigialLlama4
01-27-2015, 08:47 PM
I think Otso Berg's logic was actually to divide the Assassins from the Initiates and Erudito, showing their supporters that the Assassins mess up big too and the Templar viewpoint has solid purpose.

At least that's what I got from all those Windows we see fluttering around. Also I have no idea if UNITY happens at the same time ROGUE does. INITIATES as a website hasn't updated yet so we don't know the follow-up to the events. Maybe AC Chronicles CHINA will tell us something.

In either case, I agree it was a really dumb Modern Day plot and weak payoff. I actually saw interesting elements in Otso Berg and I wondered if there was a twist to him, but it turns out he's a Templar Thug, delusional and fanatic and has a certain code to it but basically a meathead. I found that Da Costa woman highly annoying, even moreso than Melanie (who was intentionally meant to be bossy but eventually has a kind of charm to her).

It's also super-lazy, bad enough to reuse assets from Black Flag for the main game but just reskin the modern day element too. And there's no mystery, nothing involved in what happens. Maybe that's the Templar perspectives, nothing surprises us because we are boring a--holes who live uninteresting lives.

Mr.Black24
01-27-2015, 09:37 PM
Might want to remember the spoiler tags..
Alright, I will next time. For future references, when do you think spoiler tags aren't needed? Its been like 3 months, too early then?

I think Otso Berg's logic was actually to divide the Assassins from the Initiates and Erudito, showing their supporters that the Assassins mess up big too and the Templar viewpoint has solid purpose.

At least that's what I got from all those Windows we see fluttering around. Also I have no idea if UNITY happens at the same time ROGUE does. INITIATES as a website hasn't updated yet so we don't know the follow-up to the events. Maybe AC Chronicles CHINA will tell us something.

In either case, I agree it was a really dumb Modern Day plot and weak payoff. I actually saw interesting elements in Otso Berg and I wondered if there was a twist to him, but it turns out he's a Templar Thug, delusional and fanatic and has a certain code to it but basically a meathead. I found that Da Costa woman highly annoying, even moreso than Melanie (who was intentionally meant to be bossy but eventually has a kind of charm to her).

It's also super-lazy, bad enough to reuse assets from Black Flag for the main game but just reskin the modern day element too. And there's no mystery, nothing involved in what happens. Maybe that's the Templar perspectives, nothing surprises us because we are boring a--holes who live uninteresting lives.
I saw the same in Otso Berg. He almost hit the bar there, but something went missing. I wish he talked a little more on why he believes Templars are the way to go. I see he joined at first to support his daughter, but other than his training, not much on Templar ideology. Like Shay, we needed to see how they were absorbed into Templar thinking. Shay joined to save the world, but nothing to indicate any other reason to join them after that.

Fanatic! Ya know, you hit the bar right there. I noticed that he moved and talked like Vidic. A new and dangerous Vidic....ok! I wonder how they will take it from here.

Hans684
01-27-2015, 10:12 PM
He did signal another purge and Shay's memories is the signal, we see the Assassins talk after sending the memories(on the computer). They are freaked out and some believed they killed William(he's not dead). So it's more than a scare tactic, the Templars did something big.

JustPlainQuirky
01-28-2015, 03:49 AM
Otso Berg is kind of an idiot, yeah.