PDA

View Full Version : Some info about Unity

xxco0kiesxx
01-27-2015, 04:50 AM
Hi guys i wondering if any can give me a hand on this, maybe this week or other i going to buy PS4 and i wanna know if this game is better buy it on Physical or Digital, for now and because i dont have more money cant buy Ps Plus. If any can give me some info about the game going to help me alot.

JustPlainQuirky
01-27-2015, 04:55 AM
Don't buy it at all.

It sucks.

Spend your money on something good.

Shahkulu101
01-27-2015, 05:06 AM
It's good if you like running around a stunning city just admiring the landmarks and scenery. Seriously I can spend hours just doing that. It's the best historical tour game, in terms of aesthetics.

Unfortunately, the story is very bland and the mechanics just don't work all that well. The assassination missions are cool design wise with secret entrances and cool opportunities like poisoning wine or assassinating a target in a confessional box, but the great design is undermined by the poor mechanics.

My advice, wait till it hits the bargain bin. You're probably struggling for choice I Imagine with the lack of options on next-gen, but even then I don't recommend Unity. If you want a top quality open world romp, I recommend Far Cry 4. Brilliant game that functions impeccably at everything it does.

JustPlainQuirky
01-27-2015, 05:12 AM
^A good chunk of Unity's mechanics were fine for me. Like I said the gameplay is the best part of the game. Best land gameplay of any AC thus far I'd say. Just that the actual overworld is full of anti consumer nonsense/ excessive collectibles and story isnt nearly good enough to hold you over.

Far Cry 4 felt waaay too much like a recycled Far Cry 3 only with a blank slate of a protagonist.

I can't recommend any Ubisoft game this year, really.

Even the really indie Child of Light one just comes off as tacky.

Shahkulu101
01-27-2015, 05:18 AM
^A good chunk of Unity's mechanics were fine for me. Like I said the gameplay is the best part of the game. Best land gameplay of any AC thus far I'd say. Just that the actual overworld is full of anti consumer nonsense/ excessive collectibles and story isnt nearly good enough to hold you over.

Far Cry 4 felt waaay too much like a recycled Far Cry 3 only with a blank slate of a protagonist.

I can't recommend any Ubisoft game this year, really.

Even the really indie Child of Light one just comes off as tacky.

I found them annoying but when they worked it was good. Just a really annoying cover system, inconsistent AI etc - little niggles that just make the experience messy and frustrating when a stealth game should feel smooth.

I get your point about FC4, but it was a better, more refined FC3 - sort of like Brotherhood to AC2. And I enjoyed the villain.

I'd recommend W_D's too but that's a little more polarizing. Despite it's shallowness I enjoyed it's core gameplay considerably.

JustPlainQuirky
01-27-2015, 05:20 AM
The cover system was horrible but it was patched. AI is a flawed concept that has been prominent in 99% of video games so i give ubi slack there.

I would say the story was worse. The protagonist should have just dropped the ashes and left and not blindly got involved in wars not relating to him.

Watch_Dogs as a concept is fun but once you realize it's just "button prompt simulator 2014" it loses its charm IMO. And driving cars is like driving a bar of soap. And don't get me started on Aiden and his story.

Kiltraki
01-27-2015, 02:14 PM
Here's some info:
Let's ignore modern day (it's extremely limited compared to other titles) because it's almost non existent. In the historical part, you follow a half Austrian, half French man named Arno Dorian. In the beginning, a tragedy occurs to his family, he feels a sense of guilt over these incidents. He goes on a quest of redemption, and uses the Assassin Brotherhood as a means to an end of this redemption. Along the way you meet the usual colourful cast of characters and you hunt your way through the Templar ranks to find the big bad guy in charge.

The game is set in Revolutionary France, and hosts revised gameplay mechanics.

I'll give you some pros and cons. If you have more questions feel free to ask :)

Pros
- Side characters are brilliant as always.
- Wealth of content here. It will take over 50 hours to complete everything here.
- Paris is by far the densest, largest, most immersive city ever created in any game in my opinion.
- Combat, parkour and stealth are all improvements over past games.
- Lots of improvements and good concepts in the character customisation. Has much more of an RPG vibe then previous games (which is something I'm a fan of).
- Acting remains brilliant as always.
- Co-op is quite fun, but I gather you won't experience it because of PS+ problems.

Cons
- Story is ultimately underwhelming and pretty short for an AC game (clocked in at 11 hours for me)
- Hundreds of pointless, tedious collectibles.
- Lots of filler content. The side content here is pretty straight forward and samey. Not much variety within each mission type.
- Generally has an anti-consumer vibe to it. Content locked behind multiplayer features, content locked behind external apps, pop-ups every 10 minutes telling you to go to a host of different websites to make an account etc. This game, more than any other has attempted to make me stop playing the game.
- Microtransactions are a thing. They aren't a requirement, but the mere inclusion of them makes me cringe.

I'd say get it at a discounted price. It's fun, but it isn't absolutely mindblowing like other games out there.

Kiltraki
01-27-2015, 02:16 PM
The cover system was horrible but it was patched. AI is a flawed concept that has been prominent in 99% of video games so i give ubi slack there.

I would say the story was worse. The protagonist should have just dropped the ashes and left and not blindly got involved in wars not relating to him.

Watch_Dogs as a concept is fun but once you realize it's just "button prompt simulator 2014" it loses its charm IMO. And driving cars is like driving a bar of soap. And don't get me started on Aiden and his story.

Aiden is the very reason I can't play W_D anymore. He is the most cliche, cringeworthy protagonist I have seen in a long time.

Doesn't help that he's objectively a POS either. Physical harassment of women, surveillance of his own family, causing the death of innocents, blackmailing etc.

xxco0kiesxx
01-27-2015, 02:27 PM
Thx for the help kiltraki, i see some videos about the game, i see videos with patch 4 and the game was good, i dont see nothing bad. If i buy a digital version and if i have an error or something happend with the account or something else... i lose the game and have to download again or buy it again ( thats the diference i see with physical, i know there is a big diference in money ).

ManiacalSoup
01-27-2015, 02:35 PM
After going through Unity and Watch_Dogs, I'd have a hard time recommending anything from Ubisoft right now. 2014 has removed them from my list of developers / publishers that I like.

Farcry may be good, but I won't even test those waters until it hits $20

xxco0kiesxx
01-27-2015, 03:51 PM
So let me see, u guys telling me this game is more Digital then Physical version ? I tell u guys my problem, im from Argentina dollar here cost 11.6, so digital version cost 35 dollars, and physical 94 dollars, then if i buy a digital and later have a problem with ps4 or with account or something i going to lose the game, but if i expend more money i buy physical but is mutch more expensive as u can see, so that is my problem here.

Jackdaw951
01-27-2015, 04:22 PM
Read through the posts here, because they contain some good info on the details. Personally, I liked the gameplay and the huge sandbox in the form of Paris, and I ignored the anticonsumer garbage entirely. I play games for what I get to do in them, not for the story--so any weakness there didn't bother me.

Digital or disc? Your call, really. The advantage of digital is that you don't need to be feeding discs manually to your console. The disadvantage is that you don't have anything tangible or a physical backup of the (unpatched) game. Your call, based on your preferences. The bits and bytes running on the system end up being exactly the same either way.

Xstantin
01-27-2015, 04:41 PM
When you buy UNITY, the big anger to UBI comes together.

what is this even

ManiacalSoup
01-27-2015, 04:57 PM
I've ignored the story and skipped as much as I could, but I'm still find there's to much bloat with this game and I've dry humped to many chests for my liking as well as table danced.

xxco0kiesxx
01-27-2015, 05:20 PM
Thx for all the info.

Fatal-Feit
01-27-2015, 05:20 PM
Story is acceptable for AC standard. Ezio Trilogy is still the worse, IMO. Just don't expect an AC3 or Black Flag.

Gameplay is great. It still suffers from the usual AC unpolished garb, but its improvements on the 3 core pillars are remarkable.

Paris is a fantastic setting. Great navigation, sandbox, architectures, and overall side content.

The biggest flaw for the game would its constant throwback at how anti-consumer it is. Unpolished game with tonnes of bugs and glitches (unoptimized for all platforms), ubi-collectibles that costs a fortune to unlock, companion app that locks what feels like 15% of the side content (chests, contracts, equipment, collectibles, etc), Initiates that also locks a significant amount of content, overwhelming and redundant DLC packs, club competitions that locks almost all of the best content, etc, etc.

GunnerGalactico
01-27-2015, 05:26 PM
From a gameplay perspective, I would say it's quite good. However, the story is forgettable IMO.

Xstantin
01-27-2015, 05:51 PM
I think Unity's story is tight on paper or in summary form - tbh I liked that Germain's obsession with De Molay was more important to the plot than Arno's fighting for the revolution or something like that.

Early Unity's interviews were saying they'll try to keep the Revolution as the backdrop and I think they did a decent job - you'll see crowds, flags, executions running around the city but at least most of historical cameos "just because" went into coop missions and sidestories.

Paris is a wonderful map with nice variety and identity imo.
I don't wanna go back to earlier games after controlled descent.
I'm ignoring the app, initiates and such while replaying the game.

xxco0kiesxx
01-27-2015, 06:22 PM
So is better to wait or buy it ? and what about the new dlc ?

auditorevita
01-27-2015, 06:43 PM
I think Unity's story is tight on paper or in summary form - tbh I liked that Germain's obsession with De Molay was more important to the plot than Arno's fighting for the revolution or something like that.

Early Unity's interviews were saying they'll try to keep the Revolution as the backdrop and I think they did a decent job - you'll see crowds, flags, executions running around the city but at least most of historical cameos "just because" went into coop missions and sidestories.

Paris is a wonderful map with nice variety and identity imo.
I don't wanna go back to earlier games after controlled descent.
I'm ignoring the app, initiates and such while replaying the game.

Are you happy with the story of UNITY?

The writers and team are happy with the story of UNITY.

Fatal-Feit
01-27-2015, 06:47 PM
So is better to wait or buy it ? and what about the new dlc ?

If ur referring to Dead Kings, it's free.

I'd say it's worth buying, but I don't wanna hold ur hand and tell you whether or not to buy it. I'd say purchase it first and just return it if you don't like it.

ManiacalSoup
01-27-2015, 06:47 PM
I would wait until there's a good sale going.

I looked at some used copies over here and they are going for around $25 USD for the physical disc. Right now on Amazon, you can pick up the disc new for $29.99 USD, general perusing of E-Bay tells me that people seem to think their copy is worth more than Amazon's, so I would avoid those.

If the price drops down to around (my own personal) sweet spot of $20, I would pick it up. For me that's mainly because I've played all but Rogue so far.

Maybe you can rent it from something similar to RedBox? A $1-2 USD investment to see if you like it may be worth it

xxco0kiesxx
01-27-2015, 07:04 PM
But remember im from Argentina and ps4 i going to pay in cash not with credit card, what piss me off really bad is the game price on physical, there cost a half on digital version and mutch more on physical.