PDA

View Full Version : How many units did Unity + Rogue sell in 2014?

Kiltraki
01-25-2015, 03:38 PM
Was just wondering how many units both games sold all together. Interested in seeing if the series is retaining it's playerbase, if it;s growing or declining.

I remember for AC3 it sold 12m, and AC4 sold about 11m. The games before those sold around 10m with the exception of AC1 which I think sold like 3-4 million.

ze_topazio
01-25-2015, 04:22 PM
According to VGchartz as of January 3

Unity: 5.82 millions

Rogue: 1.59 millions

JustPlainQuirky
01-25-2015, 04:51 PM
For like literally no advertising Rogue didn't sell that badly

Though compared to AC3's sales and ACIV's sales, Unity's could step up its game....

kosmoscreed
01-25-2015, 05:05 PM
Unity's could step up its game....

They only have themselves to blame

Victory sales probably will not be has high as Black Flag either, AC and Ubisfot have an extremely low reputation right now, is going to take a couple of perfect games to get back to where it was before Unity.

JustPlainQuirky
01-25-2015, 05:08 PM
>ubisoft
>perfect games

[removed]

ze_topazio
01-25-2015, 05:09 PM
Unity is a current gen only game, the number of people who possess current gen consoles is still vastly inferior to the old gen, it's no surprise it sold so low, I could say it actually sold pretty well taking that in consideration, the technical problems and bad press may have scared a lot of people away too and i also dare say the AC brand may be starting to run out of steam.

For a brand of such popularity even with the lack of advertising Rogue could have sold a little more, those numbers are comparable to Liberation(VITA) and Bloodlines, two portable games who got almost no advertising and in the case of the VITA we are talking about a console with a very small install base, the possibility of people being waiting for a current gen port should also be taken in consideration although I don't think that had much influence.

JustPlainQuirky
01-25-2015, 05:12 PM
It is sad Black Flag sold more than Rogue last year....

But I understand why.

More to offer and more pirate-y from the box art. Hard to tell what Rogue is from the box art.

Shahkulu101
01-25-2015, 06:13 PM
Assassin's Creed Unity didn't sell that well this year.

It was 5th in the annual UK charts (behind FC4, please don't annualize FC I'll literally cry) and didn't even make the top 10 in the US charts. As Topazio said, a lot of it is to do with Unity being next gen - but a lot of next gen games sold considerably better than ACU. Heck, last gen GTAV sold more than Unity this year.

Rogue has sold a little low, pretty disappointing. I would have expected at least 5 million or so - I wonder if Ubi's decision to release two games has even paid off...

xPLAY3R1x
01-25-2015, 08:56 PM
Like most franchises that also started (or hit their peak) in 2007 ala CoD... They are finally running out of steam because a lot of the original gamers have moved on a.k.a grown up and now have more real life responsibilities (jobs, families, careers, etc) and game less, or not at all. Plus, there are a lot more games now than just eight years ago, too, which means more competition for gamers dollars.

So, it is no surprise... despite the horrific launch of Unity.. AC is on the downard slope of its franchise's life cycle.

brotersinarms
01-25-2015, 09:30 PM
Assassin's Creed Unity didn't sell that well this year.

It was 5th in the annual UK charts (behind FC4, please don't annualize FC I'll literally cry) and didn't even make the top 10 in the US charts. As Topazio said, a lot of it is to do with Unity being next gen - but a lot of next gen games sold considerably better than ACU. Heck, last gen GTAV sold more than Unity this year.

Rogue has sold a little low, pretty disappointing. I would have expected at least 5 million or so - I wonder if Ubi's decision to release two games has even paid off...

I think Rogue saved them. I mean whatever Unity's sales, were significantly impacted by the losses, be it development, advertisment, future DLC and even free games they're having to throw out to people. It was a disaster.

However, Rogue had little in advertisement and development (its pretty much Black Flag with a different era and maps), relatively no huge problems with bugs (in fact i'm on my second playthrough and haven't seen any), and really, i think Ubisoft should rethink coming out with a sole based Next Gen (or current gen, whatever you want to call it) game with "Victory".

I mean, the time period for me is something i can do without (unless the goal is to assassinate Uncle Scrooge lol), and i think they're doing themselves a huge injustice.

I would continue the Rogue/AC3/ Liberation story on current gen, and go to Victory on Next Gen. However, i think after Unity, they may want to put as much emphasis on current gen, as they do with next gen, being current gen games do make up the majority of gamers still, and in the immediate future.

wickywoowoo
01-26-2015, 12:22 AM
Only 25m PS4/XB1 have been sold worldwide so far so if Unity has sold 5m - one in five people bought the game. That seems impressive to me considering that was not the sort of split for PS3/X360 users. I'd love to know what the split was and how many PC gamers fit into this. Those numbers seem decent to me.

Kiltraki
01-26-2015, 03:29 AM
So from doing some research and reading your guys answers, here are the facts:
- Unity sold close to 6 million.
- Rogue sold about 1.6 million
- 7.6 million total.

Even though this is a bit lower than previous years, I think a lot of it has to do with Unity being purely next-gen. Considering there are only 25 million XBO's and PS4's, over 1 in 5 owners bought Unity. I think next year will be interesting. If more consoles are sold we could see the sales increase, but after the damage from Unity the sales could decrease further.

Hopefully it does stay strong for a while. So many settings I want them to explore!

Just another question, how long do you guys think AC will go on for before they stop making them?

Ichrukia56
01-26-2015, 05:59 AM
@ Kiltraki honesty mate the way Ubisoft is and how expansive our human history is it could go on for a long time it as if Ubisoft has a long sheet of paper and they keep stamping new sheets to it each time they want to make a new game :)

The_Kiwi_
01-26-2015, 11:30 AM
Unity is a current gen only game, the number of people who possess current gen consoles is still vastly inferior to the old gen, it's no surprise it sold so low, I could say it actually sold pretty well taking that in consideration, the technical problems and bad press may have scared a lot of people away too and i also dare say the AC brand may be starting to run out of steam.

For a brand of such popularity even with the lack of advertising Rogue could have sold a little more, those numbers are comparable to Liberation(VITA) and Bloodlines, two portable games who got almost no advertising and in the case of the VITA we are talking about a console with a very small install base, the possibility of people being waiting for a current gen port should also be taken in consideration although I don't think that had much influence.

This is very true
I'm not surprised that Unity sold so few
I'm pretty sure current gen is 10% of console gamers

And remember for AC4 that some people would have bought it for both gens
That would contribute somewhat to the high sales