PDA

View Full Version : Did Ubisoft not realize that Unity was broken when they launched it ?

Defalt221
01-24-2015, 12:34 PM
My source of this question is actually this:http://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/comments/2su313/did_ubisoft_not_realize_that_unity_was_broken/

I'm wandering as well. Why? Ubisoft would realize that this horrible launch would mess up their sales and future game's sales. So why did they release the game early? Or did they have no playtesters? Ashraf Ismail from Black Flag said that they had LARGE number of play-testing during making Black Flag which probably is why the game is so refined...
If Unity had just one more month,it'd have been a much better game.

Dag_B
01-24-2015, 01:19 PM
Black Flag also had a couple of problems when it came out. Especially on the PC because VSync was broken and slowing down the whole game. A few more weeks of polishing would've been great.
But Unity was probably especially hard to test because it has a whole new engine and completely changed gameplay elements (parkour, combat etc) and was not only "the same stuff recycled and slightly changed". There were a lot untested elements which might cause problems whereas BlackFlag had many elements which were used in other games are therefore polished over the time. This kind of games are easier to programm (because you know how to get the most out of the engine) and test (because the "old" elements are usually not that prone to cause bugs).

As for why both games were published in the state they were:
Assassins Creed is the strongest brand UbiSoft has, so they probably did not want to miss the holiday sales by moving the games into the new year. This is also the reason why there are new games that often because most income UbiSoft makes comes from AC (or so I heard), other games, even the AAA once, do not really do that well than the AC brand.
Nowadays publishers tend to push more, in order to get the game out when they want (e.g. near holidays) and it seem they just assume that with the DayOne-patch everything will work well enough. Developers opinions becomes less and less important.
But many of us are also causing this. Just see how many people get upset when a game is moved to a later date, how many cancel their preorder etc. Of course this means that publishers want to avoid a change in the release date, because it sometimes has a bad influence on sales, especially when you move a few month. And preorders are important to the industry, a lot can depend on those, which is why many companies announce so soon and why most games need to be moved. They just announce something that sounds somehow realistic so the preorder phase can start and correct it later, when needed.

dxsxhxcx
01-24-2015, 02:01 PM
Black Flag also had a couple of problems when it came out. Especially on the PC because VSync was broken and slowing down the whole game. A few more weeks of polishing would've been great.
But Unity was probably especially hard to test because it has a whole new engine and completely changed gameplay elements (parkour, combat etc) and was not only "the same stuff recycled and slightly changed". There were a lot untested elements which might cause problems whereas BlackFlag had many elements which were used in other games are therefore polished over the time. This kind of games are easier to programm (because you know how to get the most out of the engine) and test (because the "old" elements are usually not that prone to cause bugs).

what should be enough reason to do more testing and don't treat it as it was one of the previous games with recycled mechanics...

As for why both games were published in the state they were:
Assassins Creed is the strongest brand UbiSoft has, so they probably did not want to miss the holiday sales by moving the games into the new year. This is also the reason why there are new games that often because most income UbiSoft makes comes from AC (or so I heard), other games, even the AAA once, do not really do that well than the AC brand.
Nowadays publishers tend to push more, in order to get the game out when they want (e.g. near holidays) and it seem they just assume that with the DayOne-patch everything will work well enough. Developers opinions becomes less and less important.
But many of us are also causing this. Just see how many people get upset when a game is moved to a later date, how many cancel their preorder etc. Of course this means that publishers want to avoid a change in the release date, because it sometimes has a bad influence on sales, especially when you move a few month. And preorders are important to the industry, a lot can depend on those, which is why many companies announce so soon and why most games need to be moved. They just announce something that sounds somehow realistic so the preorder phase can start and correct it later, when needed.

and the state at which it was released might cause them to lose the sales (and even more) they were worried to lose last year this year (and the year after that), if this was their logic some people should be fired because of their incompetence..

once I read a phrase talking about Ubisoft (long before ACU's release) that said: "Ubisoft's games, first you download (illegaly) and then you buy" (this isn't the exact phrase but it is what they meant with it) and after ACU's release I can't say that this line of reasoning is entirely wrong..

auditorevita
01-24-2015, 02:51 PM
UBIsoft was launched while I understand that unity was broken .
and UBIsoft was launched while I understand that story of unity was broken .
I think Ubisoft contempt the customers.
Do you think Ubisoft contempt the customer ?

pacmanate
01-24-2015, 03:06 PM
With a franchise as big as Assassins Creed the developers are definitely forced to meet the Christmas period deadlines because of money etc. Its not their fault, I would blame the higher ups.

Defalt221
01-24-2015, 05:58 PM
With a franchise as big as Assassins Creed the developers are definitely forced to meet the Christmas period deadlines because of money etc. Its not their fault, I would blame the higher ups.

I agree. The senior Ubisoft producers should put more faith on their creative directors more. If Unity had another year I can guarantee it would have become 10X better than it is complete with all optimizations and fine tuned to excellence. And 30 fps could have been pushed up to 60 fps if optimized properly.Read this: http://www.vg247.com/2014/11/12/assassins-creed-unity-ubisoft-montreal-quebec-time/

DynaRider
01-24-2015, 06:09 PM
Given the myriad of computer makes, configurations, hardware and operating systems I can understand that a few computer players would encounter glitches. The Playstations and X Boxes though all come off the same assembly line one after the other and should be identical. A botched system install could cause some game play problems on an occasional machine but overall the game should play the same on a UBIsoft testers machine as it does on mine. Therefore any glitches, bugs or problems should have been observed before the game was finalized. I think the suits at UBI must have said "to heck with it, broken or not get it into the stores for sale". Problem is, most of us quickly buy the games expecting them to be playable without problems and it doesn't become known there are glitches until posts begin showing up on forums such as this. UBI should be ashamed of themselves for pushing out a flawed game but my guess is they are laughing all the way to the bank.

Another thing that bothers me is how long will the patches be available since I don't think you can download and save them. What happens a couple of years from now if you want to reinstall a game or you have to replace a hard drive or console. Will the patches still be available? I still have some old PS2 games that I may want to load up and play sometime.

Foamy53fsp
01-24-2015, 07:09 PM
UBIsoft was launched while I understand that story of unity was broken .
Autorevita, PLEASE stop ranting about this. You've made your point - all over these forums, multiple times. You don't like the story. We get it. Lots of people didn't like Jar Jar Binks, and Lucas isn't going to remake "Phantom Menace" either. Live with it and move on.

The big issue with Unity were the bugs. The parts of the gameplay that just didn't work the way they were intended to. Some have been fixed, some haven't. Still hoping for a fix for the outstanding issues. Those should have been addressed before release, IMHO. I'm also a little disappointed in the communication between UBI and those of us in the community (read: consumers) who have reported problems and complaints. After submitting a half dozen tickets, detailing as much as possible specifics related to my issues (on XBox one) I have heard absolutely nothing back on any of them, and there has been almost deafening silence from "official" sources on these forums about when fixes to what appear to be common problems might be expected.

Most of the bugs that are present in the game as it stands now are things that it should never have shipped with in the first place. From reading these forums, it appears that many of them are related to small bit of DLC (The Revolutionary Weapons Pack). If that's true. why did that ship? What was the pressure to get that out, and why did it break so many things?

Foamy53fsp
01-24-2015, 07:14 PM
Another thing that bothers me is how long will the patches be available since I don't think you can download and save them. What happens a couple of years from now if you want to reinstall a game or you have to replace a hard drive or console. Will the patches still be available? I still have some old PS2 games that I may want to load up and play sometime.This is an insanely good point.

JustPlainQuirky
01-24-2015, 07:15 PM
Higher ups wanted dat christmas manies

Altair1789
01-24-2015, 07:22 PM
Another thing that bothers me is how long will the patches be available since I don't think you can download and save them. What happens a couple of years from now if you want to reinstall a game or you have to replace a hard drive or console. Will the patches still be available? I still have some old PS2 games that I may want to load up and play sometime.

What happens is there won't be enough people with this same situation for Ubisoft to care :(

phoenix-force411
01-24-2015, 07:23 PM
I can't blame the devs.

Journey93
01-24-2015, 10:14 PM
they were just greedy and wanted the game out for the Holidays they hoped people wouldn't be too hard on them
the ****storm serves them right

wickywoowoo
01-24-2015, 11:19 PM
This is an insanely good point.

It is why I rarely buy games digitally unless the price saving is drastic. I buy a game on PSN and I download it - what about in 10 years if a new console is out or Sony do a major upgrade or whatever, if that game is not there anymore, I have paid for a product I no longer have through no fault of my own. Also, what if servers are turned off for older games in this new generation - does that mean we cannot play them at all since a lot of games need online activation and stuff?

JustPlainQuirky
01-24-2015, 11:24 PM
Yeah honestly Unity is so buggy I wont even be buying it on steam.

I will only have first generation on steam because I know most of the game will still be 100% fine even if servers go down (which they eventually will)

Defalt221
01-25-2015, 05:45 PM
they were just greedy and wanted the game out for the Holidays they hoped people wouldn't be too hard on them
the ****storm serves them right

But they did apologize with free DLC.... So they didn't expect the game to be broken during release...

dxsxhxcx
01-25-2015, 05:54 PM
But they did apologize with free DLC.... So they didn't expect the game to be broken during release...

damage control... or do you think they would give you a free dlc/game if people weren't complaining about Unity's state all over the internet?

m4r-k7
01-25-2015, 06:03 PM
Ofcourse they knew. You could see during the preview events that it was buggy with immense pop-in, unresponsive animations etc. They already delayed it once and probably didn't want to delay it again and get it out in time for their yearly schedule.

In any other industry what they did (selling a faulty product) would be considered illegal and would have had much more severe consequences.

I have wanted Victorian England since I started the franchise so please Ubisoft, delay it a year if you have to..just make Victory polished.

JustPlainQuirky
01-25-2015, 06:31 PM
would you guys say this is Ubisoft's worst AC launch yet or no?

I wasnt around during ac3 launch so...

m4r-k7
01-25-2015, 06:34 PM
would you guys say this is Ubisoft's worst AC launch yet or no?

I wasnt around during ac3 launch so...

Yea Unity's launch was worse than AC 3 which is incredible as AC 3's launch was pretty terrible.

JustPlainQuirky
01-25-2015, 06:58 PM
I kind of want to see AC Unity's target footage

Defalt221
01-27-2015, 05:37 PM
Best you don't.