PDA

View Full Version : Ways to improve the side missions in Victory

Physiomer2015
01-23-2015, 07:53 PM
IMO ACU had some cool side missions,but definetely not great.Here are my suggestions:
1.Keep the murder mysteries,but improve them
I think that the murder mysteries were a nice addition to the series.But after the first couple ones it felt a bit boring.Also,i think they were a little bit easy and generally not thrilling enough.The thing is though that they perfectly match with the atmosphere of Industrial London.What would i do?I would make some series of serial killers instead of many separate ones.They should also require more thinking and definetely be less obvious.

2.Keep the London stories,but lessen them
Paris stories were cool but they were too many.Again,Ubi should create some series of London stories revolving around the same subject,and having their own supportive character,like the Templar Hunts in ACIV

3.Bring back the Assassination contracts
This type of side mission had always been one of my favorites.Especially in ACIV i loved them!It feels really assassiny to go to the pigeon coop and get the command to kill a target.So,imo there should be a decent amount of assassination contracts(=20-30),and also they shoulf be designed like mini-blackboxes.

4.As rumored,we are probably going to see filler stuff,like horse racing,gambling etc.Cool

5.No more collectibles.We are in 2015,not 2007

6.Maybe some mini heists?

7.Fianally,i would like the crypts from Ezio trilogy to make a return in some way.Maybe an equivalent of Romulus lairs?

BloodyAugust
01-23-2015, 08:08 PM
All gear is unlocked from the start of the game, not requiring any Club Competitions.. Having the side missions be replayable would be nice too. Also no more tackling "that thief."

dargor5
01-23-2015, 08:32 PM
All gear is unlocked from the start of the game, not requiring any Club Competitions.. Having the side missions be replayable would be nice too. Also no more tackling "that thief."

Not from start, but having them as reward for missions and not locked behind multiplayer or an app will be even better.

I will add, a NO HOOD option, the hood is ridiculous enough since AC3, you see no one walking with hoods any more and that been a trade of the Assassin's is none sensical for an assassin seeking stealth to be wearing one in public (I think I saw a hint of this change on the screen shot were the assassin is grabbing a hat which given the time makes way more sense than a hood)

VestigialLlama4
01-23-2015, 08:39 PM
Personally if they want to do side missions, they should create a more integrated structure for it.

1) One of the nice ideas I liked in AC3 was the Homestead Missions progressed and aligned smoothly with the Main Campaign. Every sequence had some Home quest missions and it aligned perfectly with your activities at the time and it progressed till the end, with the amazing pay-off of Achilles' death in the Homestead aligning beautifully with Connor's final single player mission. It was kind of similar to the GTAIV "Mysterious Strangers" Random encounter sub-missions where you can tackle it separately but it progresses and echoes well with Niko's main campaign and (some of the side missions stem from the game's choice mechanics). One step forward would be to have the side-mission mechanic integrated to the main campaign, and not just to provide upgrades and collectibles:

2) I think the game's full synch objectives and the like should be modified and fused with the side missions, so for instance if you helped out or did an errand for someone, later during a single player campaign mission you can call a favor and unlock a new path, or modify the mission somehow. This can be the Modified Mission Amancio yapped about in UNITY's promotion (which never showed up in the game). Likewise, some Assassin Brotherhood missions will bring some partners in the game (and this can accomodate drop-in/drop-out Co-Op since the second player can play the fellow who you call for). It also makes you invested in upgrading the Brotherhood and single player campaign. Cutscenes and the like can be modified to feature side characters play an important part in the background based on their activities, and only if you do the side missions can you say get an alternative cutscene or variation. It encourages gamers to do side-missions and pushes them for 100% and it provides all kind of varieties.

3) For side missions, if they go and adopt the style of "Paris Stories" for London, then they have learnt nothing. Side missions should be harder/challenging/sillier than the main campaign, it should offer expansion of the gameplay/lore/exploration/background because this is not the essential element and is there for the sub-demographics (History Buffs, AC fans, Hardcore gamers) and keep a door open for newcomers who use the new title as a gateway. In UNITY, a b-tch/errand boy for people and having the same missions of "Press B" is nothing and the side missions aren't all that different from the main campaign. You have to actually feel like you are exploring a book, or holding an important object. Your collectibles should feel like its being collected. And above all side missions should have detailed characters, models and cutscenes of decent quality and not the oppressive laziness we see in UNITY. It should be like Black Flag where all the Templar Armor sub-mission Assassins had a separate short story and story-arc of its own that was interesting and play a part in Edward's character development, and where when we see Rhona and Anto in the end, it has a bigger emotional impact after we get to know them in the side-missions whereas in the main story you can ignore it. They should obviously build on this and the like, because ultimately people when they play an open world game should feel like they are on a first name basis with a vast crowd of people, unlike the five or six unique models that Arno hangs out with in UNITY.

As for what types of side missions, that's up to them, but whether they bring back Tombs, Murder Mysteries and the like, its the structure of the side-mission via main mission that needs to be addressed. People need to feel that the side missions are worth spending more time with the game than merited. When I play an open-world game, I usually finish the single player campaign fast and on second try I do the single player and side missions together to see how it enriches the finale.

melbye82
01-23-2015, 08:41 PM
Paris Stories was awesome, i don't really think there should be less. I agree with collectibles to a certain extent, some collectibles are OK, but far less chests if there is a ecomomy-thing(and there should be)

xPLAY3R1x
01-23-2015, 09:30 PM
I think it goes without saying, the biggest change (hope!) for Victory is UBISoft abandons the integrated mobile app model and just goes back to what a SP game should be about: A fun and full-featured SP experience.

UBISoft execs have to know Unity failed on every aspect as far as Social / Mobile integration, and should just leave that crap OUT. Also, don't lock SP content behind MP requirements. Many fans have said we would even spend a little extra on gear & weapons packs as DLC if they were available. This gives players a choice. Anybody who deems the gear worthy can spend their money, those who don't, won't. Everybody wins... Especially UBISoft since they will get extra revenue, obviously.

There was also another cool idea another poster submitted on another thread about having it be a full-on RPG where the assassin's SKILL determine their effectiveness in Steath, Combat, Range, etc. and not the gear. This makes perfect sense. So, the gear should be mostly cosmetic, so you can build an assassin any way you want AND have him/her look cool at the same time. If I want to build a stealth assassin a.k.a a rouge / archer from RPG lore, I can do that with skills alone... Even if he wears heavy armor, for instance. It may not be "realistic", but the CHOICE would be there if they followed this kind of model. It would also do away with locking content behind MP walls if the gear was mostly cosmetic and added only a few bonuses. Basically, reverse the current system now where gear = skills. I think this would be a good middle-ground if they insist on character customization in all future AC titles.

Mission design needs to be a lot better. Meaning, there needs to be enough time to test these side-missions / quests to see if they are actually designed well, or not. I'm not just talking task variety, but play-ability. If I build a stealth assassin character, there better be stealth options available like alternate paths (underground, lots of civilians to belnd in with, etc.) so I don't have to go in swords swinging and guns blazing because the mission itself is poorly designed and favors only one approach.

JustPlainQuirky
01-23-2015, 09:33 PM
I like murder mysteries but hate that the NPCs feel so empty and bare. When I met Charolette Corday I was so excited but no she was just another soulless NPC.

London stories need cutscenes IMO

Agree about Assassination Contracts

Drop Notradamus Enigmas. They were terribad IMO.

Was never a fan of the crypts. I feel there is better ways to expose lore to the player.

edit:

whoops thought said glyphs. crypts are fun.

DemonLord4lf
01-23-2015, 09:38 PM
Not from start, but having them as reward for missions and not locked behind multiplayer or an app will be even better.

I will add, a NO HOOD option, the hood is ridiculous enough since AC3, you see no one walking with hoods any more and that been a trade of the Assassin's is none sensical for an assassin seeking stealth to be wearing one in public (I think I saw a hint of this change on the screen shot were the assassin is grabbing a hat which given the time makes way more sense than a hood)

Hoods wont make any sense until hoodies are invented. That being said, AC 3 Liberation did a decent job of fixing that annoyance. Aveline wore a hat instead of the hood, though you could go and put the hood back on if you so desired. Also, she had access to DISGUISES!!!! That's what a stealth mechanic needs, disguises. Creeping around the shadows and what not is fine if your in a dark area, IE any Batman Arkham game, but when you're in a heavily populated area that you're not suppose to be in, having a disguise that makes you appear that you belong there is a huge step towards being realistic and better stealth. However, if things do go wrong, and we all know they do, combat should be drawn out. It should be fast and fluid so you can escape quicker.

Alphacos007
01-23-2015, 09:38 PM
Was never a fan of the crypts. I feel there is better ways to expose lore to the player.

I don't think they're supposed to expose lore to you, they're just for the fun of climbing through them. I don't remember any lore coming from AC2 crypts or Romulous Lairs.

JustPlainQuirky
01-23-2015, 09:44 PM
oh whoops im thinking of glyphs

Alphacos007
01-23-2015, 09:50 PM
Oh. I particulary like the glyphs, they were pretty interesting to me. I do agree though that they could find a way to present that lore during the modern day sequences.

JustPlainQuirky
01-23-2015, 09:52 PM
I was thinking more like Jaques De Moley mission in unity.

Short sequences of significant events.

rather than a paragraph or audioclip where you just sit there.

A way to intertwine exposition/gameplay

Alphacos007
01-23-2015, 09:55 PM
Now that would be great, but I'm not sure if it would work too well, because some of the lore presented there doesn't have any action or are in situations that wouldn't be very fun to play. Maybe just animated cutscenes like we had from Bishop?

JustPlainQuirky
01-23-2015, 09:56 PM
that works too.

cutscenes or gameplay.

anything as long as it's not literally a paragraph of dull text or some audio clip with like a power point image

otherwise it feels like a classroom.

to me at least

DemonLord4lf
01-23-2015, 10:13 PM
that works too.

cutscenes or gameplay.

anything as long as it's not literally a paragraph of dull text or some audio clip with like a power point image

otherwise it feels like a classroom.

to me at least

Are we having classroom nightmares again?

in all seriousness, a cutscene or an action scene would be awesome.

DumbGamerTag94
01-23-2015, 10:17 PM
Simple solution.....
Keep everything like Unity except add cutscenes(including some more unique character models since several characters were just cut and paste citizens). Cutscenes would help those missions feel more legitimate(Red Dead Redemption did this well for example). They should also add more variety to the types of missions. Having more prominant side characters from the main story consistently envolved in these missions/interconnecting them would also help(like Napoleon and de Sade's missions or the Homestead from AC3). Also give concequence/accomplishment to the missions. Earn weapons,gagets, experience a cool historic event, modify the district/home base, reduce numbers of enemies in the area, leave buildings permanently destroyed etc. this would feel so much more important than Unitys "go here press a collect 200 coins and that's all" mentality.

These fixes would pretty much make side content awesome.

Democrito_71
01-23-2015, 10:28 PM
IMO ACU had some cool side missions,but definetely not great.Here are my suggestions:
1.Keep the murder mysteries,but improve them
I think that the murder mysteries were a nice addition to the series.But after the first couple ones it felt a bit boring.Also,i think they were a little bit easy and generally not thrilling enough.The thing is though that they perfectly match with the atmosphere of Industrial London.What would i do?I would make some series of serial killers instead of many separate ones.They should also require more thinking and definetely be less obvious.

Actual cutscenes within the murder mysteries and being able to interrogate suspect like in LA Noire. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV-GTbKJSIE

2.Keep the London stories,but lessen them
Paris stories were cool but they were too many.Again,Ubi should create some series of London stories revolving around the same subject,and having their own supportive character,like the Templar Hunts in ACIV

Agree with lesser Paris/London Stories. Ubi should look into how to make actual side missions like GTA5 have or even look into how Red dead redemption handled the side missions.

3.Bring back the Assassination contracts
This type of side mission had always been one of my favorites.Especially in ACIV i loved them!It feels really assassiny to go to the pigeon coop and get the command to kill a target.So,imo there should be a decent amount of assassination contracts(=20-30),and also they shoulf be designed like mini-blackboxes.

Absolutely agree on this point, but instead of giving us a location where the target is, we should investigate the targets like in AC1(well not like in AC1 which was extremely repetitive) But like asking witnesses if they have seen the target in question, following a acquaintance to the targets hide out, breaking in to a targets, a friend or a lover to the targets house to find clues of where the target is, investigating the targets interests like if the target loves theater and you find a torn advertisement about a new play from a news paper, then maybe the target is going to a theater etc. And actual cutscenes and maybe their own short storylines, like three-four missions for each assassination contract.

4.As rumored,we are probably going to see filler stuff,like horse racing,gambling etc.Cool
Finally some mini games like these! Kinda strange Unity didn't have a chess mini-game where we could be able to play against an AI or against another player.

5.No more collectibles.We are in 2015,not 2007

Well, a few collectibles that serves an actual point on why we should bother finding them all, like the mayans stuff in Black Flag that unlocked a mayan/first-civ outfit. The collectibles could also unlock hidden missions from different time periods or something

7.Fianally,i would like the crypts from Ezio trilogy to make a return in some way.Maybe an equivalent of Romulus lairs?[/QUTE]

Thumbs up on this one!

SixKeys
01-24-2015, 09:16 AM
Ehh, I liked the murder mysteries in Unity but I don't really want them back. Unless they make them all interconnected leading up to finding Jack the Ripper. Like each mystery you solve will bring you closer to uncovering his identity. That would be cool.

Assassination contracts are redundant when we have Paris stories and other missions that are essentially the same thing. I don't need to see that pigeon coop animation a thousand times when there are more interesting ways to introduce a mission. One thing that was promised in the E3 demo was that you would be able to find missions by watching the crowd and their reactions, like when there's a big commotion somewhere, you go to check it out and there's a dead body. This didn't really happen in the final game. I would like to see it in Victory.

Agreed on collectibles.

Crypts are an okay concept, but they don't belong in every game. Unity admittedly missed out on a huge opportunity by not having crypt missions in the catacombs of Paris. It's a real place and it's creepy and cool. I'm glad they put it in Dead Kings at least. But the concept doesn't work in every game, especially with the new parkour system being unreliable at best.

Kiltraki
01-24-2015, 09:53 AM
Murder Mysteries
They should keep them but expand on the idea. It's a good premise but it needs more depth. Add actual interrogation sequences, where you sit down and study their movements and tone to see if they're lying or not. Don't make it so if you accuse them they just give up and tell the truth. That's not what some criminals do. Also, give better rewards. Those weapons were complete crap. Make them harder as well. Some of them were completely obvious. Some of them were terrific though, but again need interrogation sequences.

London Stories
Keep these, but add cutscenes. I'd rather have 30 with cutscenes than 75 with no cutscenes. It just makes them more memorable and important. Think Templar Hunts of AC4, or Homestead Missions of AC3. These were good. Add more like these. The Paris Stories felt like MMO filler. Give some actual character, some cutscenes, some unique models. Some were rehashed models and a few were voiced by the same person. Quality over Quantity

Assassination Contracts
These were still kind of in Unity in the form of social club contracts, but again they could use some more depth. Make each one important instead of just MMO filler. Give each a cutscene instead of a wall of text. Give each one some mod missions, and give a little synopsis of who you're assassinating so that you actually care. At least give them a face, a name and a backstory.

With all the side content retain the black box design. This was good.

Filler
Carriage Racing and gambling etc is cool but I expect some more. These are just mini-games. I will say though it would be cool to have a race on foot against like 5 other people. Maybe like a marathon. Some of it is sprinting, some climbing, some bike riding, some carriage riding etc.

Collectibles
Remove chests all together. We're in 2015 now. Need to innovate. Instead of relying on chests for money perhaps add an auction house system, similar to WoW, but instead of going against players obviously you would go against NPC's. Give the ability to sell those materials you loot off dead bodies, and the ability to craft something together with certain materials. Allow the crafting of weapons, gear etc. This obviously means you need a reason to buy stuff. Give us cool armour sets, weapons, upgrades, equipment, colour dyes, carriages, home furniture, decorations, etc. This is where you get to be creative. The economy system in AC has been pretty mediocre. It was the best during AC4 where you felt compelled to upgrade your ship. Of course that system wasn't perfect but give us more to buy.

For the collectibles, make them feel a part of the history. Instead of floating cockades, add War Letters (similar to Rogue), or perhaps different decorations for your hideout, or certain pieces of gear (that can be obtained in other ways as well). Give each collectible a strong tie to the games systems. Have them add lore, or add to the RPG elements, rather than just 'Collect 20 for this colour dye, collect 40 for another colour dye!' etc. Be creative.

Co-Op
Co-op content is fine but honestly I think it should scale with player count. Otherwise you get missions like The Tournament which is almost impossible solo.The custscenes at the beginning of these were appreciated and made them feel important, and added backstory so keep these. Of course there is room for more multiplayer ideas, like a versus mode, races, duels. Hell you could have a gamemode where one player has to lookout for incoming assassins, and the assassins have to try pickpocket something from him/her. Just something off the top of my head. There is room for more ideas though. Don't just stick with Brotherhood and heist missions for the next 5 games or whatever.

Crypts
Absolutely. I really want these back. The time Anomalies in Unity served as good parkour puzzles, but I would like some cinematic linear action set pieces as well. First one that comes to mind is the level in Revelations where you're chasing that boat of gunpowder down a river stream. That was incredibly badass. You can have both open and linear missions. It doesn't have to be an either or type of thing.

Glyphs
These were also pretty cool. Since modern day is essentially out the window now, perhaps focus these around different settings. This is where you could hint towards future settings, and it would create a lot of interesting speculation. So one glyph could focus on fifth crusade in Egypt, another could focus on the Russian Revolution, another American Civil War etc. Again this is an opportunity to get creative.

What shouldn't return.
- Pointless collectibles.
- Anything to do with transmedia. Instead of locking gear away from the player for months on end, give another way to obtain it. Perhaps the auction house idea.
- Content that feels like MMO filler. Social Club Contracts and some of the Paris Stories just felt like complete filler. Add some character, cutscenes, unique models to these. This could be where you flesh out those interesting characters you craft in every game. In Unity my favourite 2 side characters were Marqui de Sade and Napoleon, and both were horribly under-used. Cutscene based side content would have done wonders. Cutscenes just make it feel more important and interesting, like the Templar Hunts from AC4, or the Homestead missions in AC3. They just wouldn't feel the same if they didn't have cutscenes.

Defalt221
01-24-2015, 06:01 PM
Murder mysteries.. I want Sherlock Holmes to help him like Vidoc.
Collectibles should be changed to sth like this: "Collect 15 map fragments that lead to a blueprint.(The blue print contains recipe for trip-wire poison bombs)"

AjinkyaParuleka
01-24-2015, 06:42 PM
Murder mysteries.. I want Sherlock Holmes to help him like Vidoc.
Collectibles should be changed to sth like this: "Collect 15 map fragments that lead to a blueprint.(The blue print contains recipe for trip-wire poison bombs)"
Too bad sherlock isn't a real character.If the game is in like 1870s or so,he might meet Sir Arthur Conan Doyle who might give him some tips for mysteries and such.Imagine Sam(for now :P) using deductions,but need to be done carefully or it may be a sherlock holmes game ripoff.
I would also love mysteries not just revolving around murder but theft and such.
Glyphs/First Civi puzzles with creepy music,they always creeped me out in ACII.
Memorable characters in main story and side missions.,ACIII Did this quite well.
Also some variety in random events,like help an old man,escort a child to his parent/s.
No companion app holding gears!I am quite open to purchase them through ingame money,also no microtransactions.
Side games,like gambling,horse racing as stated in the previous post on this thread,all types of fun things!(I would like drinking games aswell,my fav thing in watch dogs)
They also should take a year or 2 break to polish Victory.

Altair1789
01-24-2015, 07:30 PM
Paris Stories was awesome, i don't really think there should be less. I agree with collectibles to a certain extent, some collectibles are OK, but far less chests if there is a ecomomy-thing(and there should be)

I hated Paris stories. There were too many, they were too pointless, and most of them had you meeting a historical figure for 2 seconds

phoenix-force411
01-24-2015, 07:34 PM
I like Collectibles, but if they go over 100, then it is a serious problem. Please, don't bring back stupid online chests, and NO MORE Companion apps.

DemonLord4lf
01-24-2015, 11:34 PM
I hated Paris stories. There were too many, they were too pointless, and most of them had you meeting a historical figure for 2 seconds

In that sense i agree with ya. However, they could be fun if done properly next time. Give us more background on the person where helping, get us to actually give a **** about who the person is and why we're helping them.

One Paris story that comes to mind was the one about the psychic chick that had you go around killing random people because she had a dream. Each time i was like why the hell am i doing this again? Couldn't these people be innocent and she's just drop **** crazy?

bitebug2003
01-24-2015, 11:39 PM
Paris stories/Social Club were just glorified fetch quests - Arno the Errand boy - fetch this, steal this, kill this,

Murder mysteries were just tedious (especially because of that silly nag prompt to access the database after getting and reading a clue), and they don't belong in AC.

emperior
01-25-2015, 10:31 AM
Collectibles should just be removed. Chests have no points, I can stand 10 of them with an high reward inside but not 100+
Also chests around the city only waiting for Arno to open them make no sense.
Reserve lock picking for opening doors as its a good mechanic itself, something an Assassin would definitely do.
Add new fun ways to make money, like we had in AC2/ACB where had a city income based on our properties/shops, also gambling should be a good way to make some money.
They should also create new side games to fresh things up and to add new ways of making money.

As for side-missions, make them like Homestead, with actual cutscenes. I prefer 10 side missions but solid and with cutscenes than 30 without any cutscenes, that gets boring.
Assassination contracts should be blackbox missions like the ones we had in the main story, with many opportunities to kill the target (obviously replayable)