PDA

View Full Version : Necropolis Opinions and True Nature of the Devs

MrD69
01-22-2015, 06:48 AM
First of all are we making Heroes 6 or Heroes 7. Just because you already have finished designs from H6 does not justify your laziness in the fact that you do not wish to invest 110% of your effort into this game.
Second. I personally hated the necropolis faction from H6 even though it was my favorite faction of all from Heroes 5. There was just something about the designs and colors that did not say faction of death to me! Also the faction is nothing like that of H5 Undead, so you have no justification to your claim that the necro team remains the same from game to game. The fans want new content, and just re using old designs SUCKS! next we will find out that half of the creatures all look the same just as it was messed up in H6. Be creative, be new, and PLEASE just pretend to the fans that your care about the game rather then coming up with half excuses and reason as to why you do not want to invest more time/money to make the game perfect as if it was not worth while.

Just my opinion leave a comment giving yours and hopefully the Devs will see this.

RobvD84
01-22-2015, 12:17 PM
Yeah i agree. This makes it looks like they want to put minimal effort into making this game and just re-use stuff from H6. And if there is 1 thing you should do to make a lot of fans angry is using stuff from H6, especially art design and overall feeling and looks.
Also the H7 site is down. It says that they are working on the website. But it is alil bit too convienently after getting so much protest on the Necro post.

MrD69
01-24-2015, 12:45 AM
And the news continues to get bad as the next Necro units are revealed and they SUCK (Except for the Grim Rider aka the only creature the developers actualy created from scratch. Point Proven right there!). Maybe they should have hired devs who actually cared about a franchise and the fans rather than just making or rather avoid spending money on the creation of said game!

BlueLore
01-30-2015, 04:50 PM
Uhm the spider is also completely new.

Anyway it is quite common for developers to reuse models,it simply never happened in HoMM until now.
And tbh I think it is ok to reuse models,I mean I'd rather have some reused models than getting a 5-faction game again...
Its not something I really like,but I can understand why they are doing this.

That said I am a bit disappointed about the elite tier,simply because I am not much of a fan of the H6 elite necro,they said they might change some stuff around for 1 or 2 creatures and I hope they'll change the designs of the vampire and the liches a bit more,cause they are in my opinon the more outstanding problems(give the vampire a big vampire like cape and I am ok with them :D)

MLT_TheaElyra
01-30-2015, 06:50 PM
When the first units were revealed, I thought the core units were alright. Not spectacular, or really all that interesting, but good enough for me. I liked the addition of the spider, while the banshee felt a little underwhelming (she's way too spectral for me!) and the skeleton base was pretty cool honestly (the upgrade is sadly another story..). But, like, it was fine.

But then the elites and champions were revealed, and I did feel somewhat disappointed. :( All of the elites are pretty much taken from H6, without any new and interesting stuff going on. It's not so much that I don't like the design of them, it's more the fact that we've seen them all before. I think reusing models is a bad way of continuing the franchise, but if you have to, okay. It's sad, but I won't cry (too much) about it. But at least change them up a little bit! I don't want to look at the vampire and wonder which version of Heroes it belongs to... each Heroes game should have it's own unique vampire representative, and lich, and lamasu... Reusing looks and feels cheap.

shop47737D938
01-30-2015, 07:18 PM
My biggest objection to the Necro line-up is the Lich. The H6 Vampire and H6 Lamassu were controversial too, but I know of few units that received as much hate and resentment as the H6 Lich.

It's not the same as the reused models in Haven. In Haven, the models they've reused were accepted to begin with; they were already considered decent models and in H7 the designs have simply been improved upon. However, with the H6 Lich, that model and design had never been accepted, and so I'm flabbergasted that the Devs chose to bring the same contested model and design back for H7.

While I do agree with the many, many people who are advocating for a skeletal Lich that a skeletal Lich would be best, and I don't appreciate Ubi's stubbornness on this, I don't think it needs to be skeletal in order to gain widespread acceptance and satisfy a lot of the people who are upset right now. Just make it look cool. For starters, fix its posture. Right now it looks like a bitter, hunched over old man - not a cool and intimidating Lich. Good posture would better convey a sense of power and terror.

So I do hope that they change the Lich, even if nothing else.

Other than the Lich, I, personally, am very disappointed that one of our new units is a spider, but I know they're not going to change this and at least I can accept it even if I don't like it.

To constructively critique the skeleton designs, I highly recommend just slightly altering the swords. I like the feel of a scimitar-like sword, but these are simply too curved. The upgrade's is especially ridiculous. My objection to these is that they are very immersion-breaking. I obviously don't expect everything to be realistic, but these are just disastrous to my immersion, and a slight alteration and fine-tuning of the design would go a long way.

My one final suggestion for right now is to please not name the champion "Grim Rider." I think even just a simple "Reaper" for the base version and "Grim Reaper" for the upgrade would be vastly better. This, I trust they will change, since they've said names aren't set in stone and they already changed some of the Academy creatures' names before the Academy's official unveiling.

I'm not trying to be an unreasonable jerk by complaining.
I hope someone reads my critiques and finds them valuable and helpful in some way.

MLT_TheaElyra
01-30-2015, 07:33 PM
To constructively critique the skeleton designs, I highly recommend just slightly altering the swords. I like the feel of a scimitar-like sword, but these are simply too curved. The upgrade's is especially ridiculous. My objection to these is that they are very immersion-breaking. I obviously don't expect everything to be realistic, but these are just disastrous to my immersion, and a slight alteration and fine-tuning of the design would go a long way.

Absolutely right on the money. How they expect the skeleton hoplite to actually wield that weapon in a fight effectively is beyond me. It's comically curved, really. And yes, it's definitly immersion-breaking! Thankfully, the don't have to do much work to redesign it, if they so choose (and by Elrath let them choose to do so!).

I'm honestly disappointed the most by the vampire. It's always been one of my favorite units, so it's a little heartbreaking to see it so... bland? And again, for that matter, since it's ripped from H6. I don't know, I just really don't like the design. The sword is too big and ornate, the face is neither handsome nor scary (and rather blocky for that matter) and they just don't seem.... cool to me.

SvenTheRaven
01-30-2015, 07:48 PM
Manchmal ist schlichter einfach schöner , wie auch bei Untoten , zu viel Rüstung und zu neu wirkende Waffen !

sepanol
01-30-2015, 10:43 PM
And the news continues to get bad as the next Necro units are revealed and they SUCK (Except for the Grim Rider aka the only creature the developers actualy created from scratch. Point Proven right there!). Maybe they should have hired devs who actually cared about a franchise and the fans rather than just making or rather avoid spending money on the creation of said game!

Grim rider indeed very similar to death knight from Heroes 3 which is actually good because that unit was one of the most awesome units ever in heroes saga. I have been missing it since then. But i agree the fact that they need more creativity.

There isnt too much flexibility in necropolis though, because skeletons, banshee, vampire, lich are must have. And i really like the lamasu even though most people dislike it. We already meet to many greek norse and egyptian mythology figures in all rpg games. I would be happy if ubisoft add more stuff from rich Ancient mesopotamia mythology and even african myhtology,

there are tons of interesting beasts or creatures, like aqrabuamelu (scorpio man), ugallu (lion headed demon), (posted random pics found online )

i would prefer they come up with something really unique to this franchise or at least use uncommon mythologies. im tired of seeing medusa, centaur, satyr, valkyrie... whereever i go, as much as cool they are it gets boring after some point. As a hardcore fan of franchise i request dev team to be more unique and creative

http://th02.deviantart.net/fs48/PRE/f/2009/210/5/2/527662c382db333cd1eeb1d30e880649.jpg

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/191/4/4/ugallu__common__by_mictones-d56phps.jpg

MLT_TheaElyra
01-31-2015, 12:56 AM
There isnt too much flexibility in necropolis though, because skeletons, banshee, vampire, lich are must have. And i really like the lamasu even though most people dislike it. We already meet to many greek norse and egyptian mythology figures in all rpg games. I would be happy if ubisoft add more stuff from rich Ancient mesopotamia mythology and even african myhtology,

You know, I actually partly agree with you, even though I feel somewhat conflicted about the issue all the same. Part of the problem with Necropolis - heck, any 'classic' Heroes faction really - is that you need to have certain creatures represented, otherwise people will claim the faction is losing its focus, its spirit, the sancitity of the faction being threatened (and they would kind of be right). Unfortunately this does mean that the developers are sort of chained to "the same old" creatures, even if they can take some liberties in how those creatures are represented (however, taking liberties with the design will inevitably lead to critique as well - see H7 Lich for a good example of that).

I'd honestly love it if Ubi-Nox took greater chances with the franchise as far as creature design goes, because either way you look at it, they can't please everyone anyway. I'd love a more coherent faction over a hodepodge compremise, even if that means an Ancient Mesopotamia type of look. As long as it's consistent. Its hard for them to do this though, since there's pressure from all fronts. Either they keep too strictly to the traditional look, and those craving something new will complain, or they try something different, and people will complain about that too. Balancing between those two is not easy, so I can't say I envy them the job.

MrD69
02-03-2015, 02:18 AM
i would prefer they come up with something really unique to this franchise or at least use uncommon mythologies. im tired of seeing medusa, centaur, satyr, valkyrie... whereever i go, as much as cool they are it gets boring after some point. As a hardcore fan of franchise i request dev team to be more unique and creative

Being creative and unique unfortunately requires money which Ubisoft has made extremely clear they intend to NOT spend money on the game. What a novelty for them adding another game to their list with as minimal effort, dedication, time involvement, and actual cash. But hey it's all about money right?! Wrong!

#MakeLotsOf$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

skullbonejp
02-05-2015, 01:41 AM
All I can think when I see the H6 and now these H7 town screen and style is "less venom and more death". Necromancy is not about venom but about death. Everything is so green and poison like. All I can think is about poison when I see the design and artwork. The dead are just there to justify the Necropolis name. That is what I feel when I see the Necropolis art on H6 and now on H7

Thorssen64
04-24-2015, 08:31 PM
Re-use, re-use, re-use. Hell the whole franchise is now like yesterday's condom. I'll go back to playing the earlier games from GoG. Back then people cared about making games a lot more than making $s.