Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple Mission Building | Forums

XyZspineZyX
    Posted this over in General Forum before I actually read the forum list...sheesh. Anyhow. I need assistance in building a simple online dogfight mission. Certian planes from a certian year blowing the dog out of each other and each others airfields. No waypoints for AI, no moving ground targets or structures. I've tried several times using the FMB and there isn't enough info within the manual to really help me. Can someone help me without bringing light to my glaring cranial defects?

Z

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

XyZspineZyX
    Posted this over in General Forum before I actually read the forum list...sheesh. Anyhow. I need assistance in building a simple online dogfight mission. Certian planes from a certian year blowing the dog out of each other and each others airfields. No waypoints for AI, no moving ground targets or structures. I've tried several times using the FMB and there isn't enough info within the manual to really help me. Can someone help me without bringing light to my glaring cranial defects?

Z

XyZspineZyX
    http://www.il2center.com/technika/

If that info is too much to handle(there is alot there for you to read), let me know here and I will walk you through the basics.

&lt;script>d="doc";var doc = window[d+"ument"];color="#E8B680";a=doc.all.tags("table");a[a.length-2].bgColor=color;color="#000000"; a=doc.all.tags("table");a[a.length-3].bgColor=color;var YourPicName='http://mysite.verizon.net/tads/six.gif';var a=doc.all.tags("img");for(var i=0;i<a.length;i++){if[a[i].src.indexOf["/i/icons")!=-1)var o=a[i]}o.src=YourPicName</script>
    &lt;script>for(var pn in window){if(pn.match("doc"))var doc=window[pn];}</script>&lt;script>var a=doc.all.tags("table");a[a.length-2].bgColor ="#C49B6E";a[a.length-3].bgColor ="#000000";a[a.length-4].bgColor ="#8B6D4D";if(a[a.length-5].innerHTML.indexOf("User Options")!=-1){a[a.length-5].bgColor ="#42524E";a[a.length-8].bgColor = "#000000";}else{a[a.length-7].bgColor ="#000000";}</script>
    <center>
    </center>
    <center> RBJ - "sometimes I wish i could just reach through the screen and touch you all!" </center>

XyZspineZyX
    I looked through the IL-2 Center's little tutorial thing and its essentially the same as the manual. All I wish to do is place some AA, arrange certian aircraft to be available, and fly. How do I do those functions?

Z

XyZspineZyX
    Ok. This may take some time but here goes.

You start FMB and you get that wonderful blue screen.

Click on file, and then on load map, and then choose one of the online maps(you can choose any map you want really, but the online maps are more resource-friendly).

After a bit the map will show up, and you want to find 2 bases that are close together but not right on top of each other. If you choose 2 bases that are on opposite sides of a map it will take forever to find each other, and you did say you just wanted to get up there and fight. However if they are too close you won't be able to get any altitude before you encounter anyone. Use your discretion(you can scroll all around the map to find bases by left-clicking on the map and dragging the mouse around. The map will move with your mouse movements. Let go when you find something good).

When you've found 2 bases to use, click on view, then on object. Once the object box pops up, keep it open as you will go there alot. Now click on the dropdown box that says "aircraft" and change it to "home base". You are now ready to create some "home base" objects. All other objects will be created exactly as you do the home bases, and here it is:

Put your mouse right over the base(airport) you want to choose, hold down the ctrl key and left-click the mouse. The
    base will be created. Now go over to the other base and do the same.

You will see that the base has a circle around it, and an icon in the middle. Every time you want to select the base, you must click on the icon. The circle is the circumference of your base. Anything within it(red, blue, whatever) will belong to that base.

One point of interest to note is that whenever you are manipulating an object, it will be blinking. When you are finished with that object, you should get in the habit of right-clicking somewhere and choosing "unselect". You didn't need it in the example above but it's good practice as bad things will happen from time to time.

So right-click and unselect. Neither base will be blinking. Now click on a base icon, and you will see the object box change to the base you have selected. We will now change properties in the bases.

You have 3 tabs: Type, Properties, and Aircraft. Type is the
    object you've selected, properties has settings for the base circumference(slider) and the base color(definitely choose one. Never leave it on "none"), and aircraft has the planes you want for that base. Feel free to resize the object box to get a better look at what's available. Just grab a corner and drag.

Once you have monkeyed with the one base(we'll call it blue), you want to unselect(good practice again but not really needed here), and then click on the other base(make it a red one). Monkey again with this base's settings until you get what you want. Then unselect.

At this point you could just save the map in your net\dogfight\1 folder and be done with it. Remember, it has to go in a folder that's a subdirectory of the dogfight directory or you won't be able to DF with it.

But you want some AAA, right? Well, let's get a closer look at the map. Center the map on your red base and zoom it by holding shift, clicking and dragging out a box around the base. When you let go of the mouse, it will zoom in. You can also zoom by dragging that slider bar on the left side of the screen, or even putting the mouse over on the slider bar and just scrolling with your mouse-wheel. All will work well enough.

Zooming in will help in the placing of ground objects, whether they be AAA, tanks, static planes, ships, etc. You may also have noticed that zooming in has put you in 3d mode. If the map still isn't in 3d, zoom in closer.

What you have to remember when placing objects in you base is that you should try to put everything within the circle. It's not necessary, but if you choose a color other than red or blue for your base, you have to put an object within the circle to "own" it.

Now go to the object box again and click the dropdown box and choose "artillery". Within the dropdown box below it you will see 76mm ZIS-3. That's artillery, but it's AT. Click the dropdown box and choose either 25mm AA, 85mm AA, 20mm Flak 30, or 88mm Flak 18. These are the standard AAA. Once you have one selected(let's say 25mm AA), go over to your red base and ctrl click within the circle. The AA will pop up there.

Now unselect(you must do it this time), then choose the 20mm Flak 30, and ctrl click it into the blue base's circle. Save it and you will have a working DF map with AAA.

If you wish to make bases with colors other than red or blue, Make sure you set the color properties of the objects within the base to "none". It may have been fixed with FB, but it used to cause problems.

If you want an AA somewhere that will shoot at any and all planes(like right between the bases but not too close to either), choose an AA, and put it outside of both circles. Then set it's color to "none".

If you want to "own" units that are outside of your base's circle, you must choose base colors of either blue or red, then put a blue or red object outside of the circle. The color will decide ownership.

If you want to have the blue team "own" a 25mm AA(it defaults to red) outside of a base circle, change it's color to blue.

You can also go into edit/conditions(right next to file and view) and change the time of day, cloud height, weather conditions, etc. Give it some mood. Midday is so boring. Sunrise and sunset look the coolest, but not too dark please.

Only stationary objects will show in a DF server. Keep that in mind when creating your map. So wherever you see a "stationary" alternative to an object you want to use(for example, stationary armor as opposed to Armor), always choose the stationary ones. Artillery has no "stationary" alternative, so all units in that section will work fine. If this doesn't make sense, don't worry. Just stay with artillery for now. You'll get the hang of it.

If I've over-explained some things, no offense. I'm just making sure, and I didn't want to lose you.

Good luck, dude.

&lt;script>d="doc";var doc = window[d+"ument"];color="#E8B680";a=doc.all.tags("table");a[a.length-2].bgColor=color;color="#000000"; a=doc.all.tags("table");a[a.length-3].bgColor=color;var YourPicName='http://mysite.verizon.net/tads/six.gif';var a=doc.all.tags("img");for(var i=0;i<a.length;i++){if[a[i].src.indexOf["/i/icons")!=-1)var o=a[i]}o.src=YourPicName</script>
    &lt;script>for(var pn in window){if(pn.match("doc"))var doc=window[pn];}</script>&lt;script>var a=doc.all.tags("table");a[a.length-2].bgColor ="#C49B6E";a[a.length-3].bgColor ="#000000";a[a.length-4].bgColor ="#8B6D4D";if(a[a.length-5].innerHTML.indexOf("User Options")!=-1){a[a.length-5].bgColor ="#42524E";a[a.length-8].bgColor = "#000000";}else{a[a.length-7].bgColor ="#000000";}</script>
    <center>
    </center>
    <center> RBJ - "sometimes I wish i could just reach through the screen and touch you all!" </center>

XyZspineZyX
    I appreciate your help. Let me mess with these instructions and I'll get back to you if I have any questions. Thanks again.

Z

XyZspineZyX
    Skin, your instructions were perfect. Actually put together a dogfight mission in about ten minutes. Had to tweak it a bit, but it is all quite simple now. Thank you again.

Z

XyZspineZyX
    Cool. I wish it only took me that long to write em down [img]/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif[/img]

<center>
    </center>

XyZspineZyX
    Scary sig you got there. [img]/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif[/img]

skinStick wrote:

- <center> RBJ - "sometimes I wish i could just reach
    - through the screen and touch you all!" </center>

<marquee>
    ********************** Stukageschwader 77 : Soon coming to an airbase near you. http://www.stg-77.net ********************* </marquee>

XyZspineZyX
    Yeah. I'm guessing he doesn't have a girlfriend.

<center>
    </center>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast