Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MP hosting bug, not a bug? | Forums

I've been hosting some sessions at HL the last few days & made some observatiions. I've heard about a supposed 'Hosting Bug' wherein the host cannot recover & rejoin the mission he is hosting. In hosting two diff default mp missions, I've come to the conclusion that there is no such bug...but rather just poorly created missions. Exibit A: When hosting the default "H2H_Hogs_and_Frogs.mis" I have no problem recovering & rejoining...however, the main red air base defense unit cannot be locked by the mavs...it locks on a building at the airport only.

Exibit B: When I host the default "H2H_Strike-on-Strike.mis" I can almost never recover & rejoin my session...& the blue side all fly out of the same airport & is defended by ground units...while the red side has one airbase defended by ground units but only the su25's fly out of it, while the su27's are launching from another nearby field..an unprotected one! Since the 'mission goal' of this one is to attack & destroy the enemies airfield, I suggest that these problems are merely the result of hastily created missiions...prolly at the last minute...if someone who has become adept at working with these missions (I haven't) would open them in the editor & have a look, I think you'll find that certain parameters were set incorrectly - thus you can rejoin in the one but not the other & it would also explain why the red defending unit cannot be targeted & why half of the red air units fly out of the wrong airbase...so, no bug here...just flawed mission creation...should be fixed easily by those who can edit missions knowledgably...just my observations, thus far.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I've been hosting some sessions at HL the last few days & made some observatiions. I've heard about a supposed 'Hosting Bug' wherein the host cannot recover & rejoin the mission he is hosting. In hosting two diff default mp missions, I've come to the conclusion that there is no such bug...but rather just poorly created missions. Exibit A: When hosting the default "H2H_Hogs_and_Frogs.mis" I have no problem recovering & rejoining...however, the main red air base defense unit cannot be locked by the mavs...it locks on a building at the airport only.

Exibit B: When I host the default "H2H_Strike-on-Strike.mis" I can almost never recover & rejoin my session...& the blue side all fly out of the same airport & is defended by ground units...while the red side has one airbase defended by ground units but only the su25's fly out of it, while the su27's are launching from another nearby field..an unprotected one! Since the 'mission goal' of this one is to attack & destroy the enemies airfield, I suggest that these problems are merely the result of hastily created missiions...prolly at the last minute...if someone who has become adept at working with these missions (I haven't) would open them in the editor & have a look, I think you'll find that certain parameters were set incorrectly - thus you can rejoin in the one but not the other & it would also explain why the red defending unit cannot be targeted & why half of the red air units fly out of the wrong airbase...so, no bug here...just flawed mission creation...should be fixed easily by those who can edit missions knowledgably...just my observations, thus far.

can you be more specific? how to you rejoin/respawn without resetting the server?

According to Matt,
    This "non bug" as you put it has been fixed in the patch.

It is a bug and i took the time to work out what caused it weeks ago. It took an Fdisk to isolate the problem.

If you classify a mission the host will not be able to recover. Even after declassifying it again you still will not be able to recover.

[img]http://panthers.kicks-***.net/sigs/sigpic169_1.jpg[/img]
    Play Hard - Play Fair
    Squadron Leader "Ice"
    169th Panthers</span></td>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PBNA-Flanker:
    can you be more specific? how to you rejoin/respawn without resetting the server?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You do this, hosting or as a client; by clicking "RCVR" instead of "QUIT" after your plane is dead...after hitting "ESC"...if your plane is not dead, you don't get this option...i.e.-if you land gear up & can no longer move the plane but it's still "alive". The best/quickest option then is to chat someone to destroy your plane...this option is only available when the host has it turned on in his settings.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vancelee:
    According to Matt,
    This "non bug" as you put it has been fixed in the patch.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I saw that too...seems the 'fix' for it consists of reworking the missions...and paying attention to the details...am guessing the training bits & the missions were hastily constructed at the last minute once it was decided "we're Gold!"...in such a celebratory atmosphere, perhaps a bit of Vodka was flowing as well? Lol That certainly would have been understandable after completing a project running 2 1/2 years behind schedule!! Cheers!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ice_169th:
    It is a bug and i took the time to work out what caused it weeks ago. It took an Fdisk to isolate the problem.

If you classify a mission the host will not be able to recover. Even after declassifying it again you still will not be able to recover.

I understand that concept, however; that does not explain the inconsistancies between the two default MP missions...if it was just that, whatever was the case with one, would be the case with the other, and it certainly doesn't explain the errata in them (detailed in original post)...haven't yet tried the other missions in this group...I'm working my way slowly through each aircraft & getting thoroughly comfortable with each before tackling the next..A10 was first...am now getting there with the Su25...soon move on to the Su27...waiting for the patch before I go back to the F15...to buggy for me, patch should cure that.

bruised & abused!!...lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast