With the announcement of Base Set Two, we are looking for your thoughts and feelings toward the new card list. Below is a list of the cards that will be available in Base Set Two. Please feel free to give us your feedback and stream your analysis of the card list on TwitchTV. What strategies will be awesome? What do you feel is missing? Anything that seems out of place? For posting/streaming your thoughts, you may be selected to take part in the first ever Base Set Two preview tournament. This event will be held on February 22nd. To be selected, you must have posted your feedback / links to your feedback here in this thread.
Will there be any new cards added to the new Base Set or is this only a reshuffling?
There will be no new cards in Base Set Two, but a new series should be released shortly after. Simon has announced that the team is already working on it.
Will there be any updated artwork to the cards?
Not in Base Set Two. Stay tuned for more info on the next series.
What will happen with Base Set One cards?
Those cards will be considered as out of print but you will still be able to get them through the Altar of Wishes. The first base set is the only set that will be removed from the store once BS2 arrives. Void Rising will be the next set to rotate out, but the other expansions will still be available in the shop.
Will the cards I purchase now be useless? Will I have to pay for cards in Base Set Two even if I've already owned the card in the past?
You will be able to play all cards in the new Open format. Older cards that are still in BS2 will be still usable in the Standard format. There is no need to purchase a new copy of the card for play in Standard mode.
Will new playing formats be available?
Yes! There will be Standard (Base Set 2 and following series), Open (all cards) and Weekly. Weekly will consist of fun rules and restrictions such as only using commons.
What will happen with Base Set One achievements?
Achievements regarding “out of print” cards will be removed. We will add new achievements! If there are still Base Set One achievements you want to complete, now is the time to do it.
Should I wait to spend my gold and seals?
As there will be no new cards in Base Set Two, you can definitely still purchase what you want. All cards will be playable in Open format. Additionally, any cards you have now that are also in Base Set Two will still be usable.
Which packs will be awarded by Swiss tournaments after the release of BS2?
Currently, the reward for the Swiss tournament is always a pack from the latest expansion. This doesn't mean that the rewards will always stay like this, but there is currently no change planned for the next release.
Which changes will this make to Jackpot and Swiss Tournaments?
Format rotation. Some days tournaments will be Open format, some days will be Standard, and some days will use Weekly.
Will the cards that players have invested time and money into become obsolete? Will older cards become banned in play?
Absolutely not! Those cards will be usable in different tournament formats. Older cards that are still in B02 will be usable in the Standard format. No need to have the new copy.
Will older cards still be available in packs? How will I acquire older cards?
Base Set One will be removed from the Shop. We want new players to use B2 since it will be the Standard format. Overall, we feel it will bring a more diversified meta. People who really want out of print cards (Base Set One) will be able to get them through the Altar of Wishes. Still, it’s not impossible that one day we bring Base Set One cards back in the Shop.
Will the UI update Sam Jobin hinted at during his Reddit AMA be included in this patch?
Absolutely! This update is currently planned for the Base Set Two patch.
Can we expect Draft to come with Base Set Two?
No news yet. Simon has stated that if draft happens, it needs to be done right. More news as it becomes available.
Any release schedule for Base Set Two?
Simon has stated that late March is the current goal, but this could change based on feedback and tweaks to the set.
NOTE: Cards colored in RED have been REMOVED from Base Set Two.
Base Set Two Card List
Academy: Arcane Orb
Inferno: Hall of Nightmares
Necropolis: Soul Spire
Sanctuary: Hidden Dojo
Stronghold: War Tent
Dragon Golem ---> Replaced by Rakshasa
Sentinel of the Ages
Radiant Glory ---> Replaced by Sun Rider
Griffin Battle Priest
Angel of Mercy
Anael, Angel of Redemption
Vindicator ---> Replaced by Tithe Collector
Caller of the Void
Lurker in the Dark
Atropos, Weaver of the Dead
Fate Sealer ---> Replaced by Vampire Assassin
Kappa ---> Replaced by Naga Yokujin
Pearl Priestess ---> Replaced by Naga Tide Master
Deep Mountain Yeti
Venerable Kappa ---> Replaced by White Fox
Raya, Sibilant Seductress
Silver Bowl Spirit
Sand Kame ---> Replaced by Wanizame
Blackskull Vulture Rider ---> Replaced by Raging Smasher
Blackskull Clan Warlord
Sahaar Brute ---> Replaced by Cyclops Brawler
Sea Elf Archer
Lesser Air Elemental
Lesser Fire Elemental
Blind Brother ---> Replaced by Wandering Bard
Greater Fire Elemental
Greater Earth Elemental
Greater Air Elemental
Greater Water Elemental
Lesser Light Elemental
Rise of the Nethermancer
Day of Fortune
Week of Knowledge
Week of the Dead
Week of the Mercenaries
Week of the Weaponsmiths
Day of the Sanctuary
Time of War
Night of the Rising Moon
The Great Hunt
Offering to the Void
Cassandra's Imperial Devotion
Fountain of Youth
Tree of Truth
Truce of Elrath
Favor of the Just
Hall of Torment
Halls of Amnesia
Maws of Chaos
Dunes of Madness
Gate to Sheogh
Seria's Last Order
Death is Not the End
The Frozen Maze
Road to Enlightenment
Honor Binds Us
Famous Last Blows
Gold Pile ---> Replaced by Campfire
Stolen Supplies ---> Replaced by Broken Bridge
Altar of Wishes
Volunteers ---> Replaced by Altar of Asha
Time Of Need
The Price of the Void
Hakeem, Seeker of Mysteries
Asalah, Invoker of Castigation
Myranda, Blademage Champion
Akane, Caller of Memories
Cassandra, Seeker of Light
Alia, Caller of Faith
Garant, Seeker of Discord
Kal-Azaar, Invoker of Agony
Dhamiria, Caller of Madness
Seria, Seeker of the Lost Souls
Mother Namtaru, Invoker of Death
Fleshbane, Champion of the Misshapen
Ariana of the Severed Fates
Yukiko, Seeker of Honour
Takana Osore, Champion of the Tides
Noboru, Caller of Twilight
Kat, Seeker of Freedom
Shaar, Invoker of the Skies
Zardoc, Caller of Valor
Forked Lightning ---> Replaced by Father Sky's Wrath
Curse of the Netherworld
Aura of Healing
Lay of Hands
Chain Heal ---> Replaced by Word of Light
Let me start my review/feedback:
Buildings - pretty good, excluded unique ones and added representative of building type to BS2. Good work.
- 3 drop slot is a bit off. There are only two phased guys. I would swap Wizard Disciple for Rakshasa or Unstable Djin as second option if you don't like Rakshasa one.
- Maybe include Taweret Warrior as another 5might requirement creature. It might see play in standard as it sure won't see in open format (any time soon). Am not 100% sure what to exclude, but either Sentinel of the Ages as it is only 6might req for now and it will more likely see play in open (more future potential there also) or go for Djinn, Titan or Obsidian Gargoyle. Maybe Obsidian Gargoyle is best choice because spells are nerfed and you may include some similar 'counter' vs. spell in future sets.
- Let me suggest heresy here. Exclude Radiant Glory. I am serious. Explanation: Radiant Glory is just to good. So far Haven is pretty destroyed and it will need new expansion to get back on foot. Than kill it with Glory also, so in future we have more diverse Haven. Note to all Haven players that want to kill me now, I am Haven player also! :P
What to include - Sun Rider maybe or Wolf Marksman. Or maybe even Wolf Guard as 2 drop is more lacking than 3.
- Lurker in the Dark seems to be too strong of a card to get back to BS2. Keep him away! I would like to see Demented instead! Or even Gated Demon?
- I would exclude either Cerberus or Hellfire Cerberus for something else as 3 drop is clogged. I presume you don't want Lilim or Ravager and I see why, but maybe Ur-Khrag Enforcer or Hellfire Juggernaut even (or even Gated Demon).
-Abyssal Worm vs Abyssal Lord - I feel uneasy, but I guess you did right choice.
- Would like to see Hangmen Tree out and Trapper Spider in. Though I might be wrong here...
- Necro has more creatures than some other factions, so I would exclude Vampire Lord or Fate Weaver. (or both for Ghost Dragon)
- Include Waterfall Guardians exclude Unmei-Kami.
- Include Naga Yokujin, exclude Snow Maiden.
- Raya vs Naorai Seirsa was possibly mistake to include Raya.
- Exclude Perl Priestess for Naga Tide Master maybe?
Boy, oh boy... Keep all enrage guys and say night, night to Kelthor. Disregarding that there are a lot of strange choices here...
- Centaur Archer vs Erg Hunter is bit of a question, but I think you made good choice.
- Blackskull Goblin should be excluded.
- Enraged Cyclops should be excluded.
- Blackskull Vulture Rider should be excluded.
- Sahaar Hunter should be included.
- Dark Wood Treant should maybe be included.
- I don't see much use on Greater Water Elemental - it just seems as waste of spot. Drop it?
- Rise of the Nethermancer was mistake that made for other mistakes and I don't think that it should be included if you like to experiment anything with Graveyard in new standard format.
- Month of the Dancing Flame and Market of Shadows should possibly be in.
- Day of Fortune can be cut.
- Rift's Echo should be changed for Void Tainted Ritual.
- Crimson Bond should be considered.
- Maybe Conversion to the Void instead of Severed Fate?
- Offensive Stance should go out, Fortified Outpost should go in.
- Stockpile also not worth it, but ok let it be crap rare...
- Halls of Amnesia and Maws of Chaos should go out for Twist of Fate and Pleasure in Pain.
- Dunes of Madness is just that much of a crap that it shouldn't be in. Instead put in Pit of Hate or House of Madness.
note: I am sad that Altar of Destruction is not included. Rare source of direct damage. Still thinking of that vs Hall of Torment...
- Ariana's Lair should be excluded if you decide to keep Rise of the Nethermancer event out.
- Exclude Soul Harvest for A life for a Life (or does that make Necro to strong?).
-Everything ok... maybe include Underwater Fortress (for Challenge Hall or Noboru's Insight)?
- Add Blood Shaman Hut or Blood Pool for some of extra creatures this faction has.
- Decent choices. Maybe Broken Bridge would be ok? Instead one tutor?
Heroes - Done ok. (maybe Nergal instead of Mother)
- Maybe Storm Wind instead of Lifting Wind, but am ok if stays the same.
Dark: Done ok.
- Exclude Poisonous Bulb for something meaningless but more cool for new players like Venomous Touch.
- Include Poison Cloud. Maybe instead of Poisonous Bulb, Earth Bound, Sylvanna's Embrace or Mass Regeneration.
- Include Frenzy instead of Fiery Death or Fire Shield.
- So Light gets Martyr, Guardian Angel, Aura of Healing and Chain Heal? I call OP here!
- No Sunburst, no Word of Light, not even a freaking Divine Judgement and no Celestial Armour (though I think I know why Celestial Armour didn't make the cut...)
Either you don't want to give Light school damage spells in future (like ever) or mix things a bit here!
- Maybe Teleport here is too much and should be switched for Slow, but I might be off the target here by miles...
Water: Done ok.
Wow, this was long! Congratulations to all those that read it :P
ps. To slow ZergRusher :P
Short look at haven (T1: Sandalphon, Cassandra).
Sandalphon won't be present in the BS2.
Let's take a look at the Cassandra deck (missing cards in the red):
1x Cassandra, Seeker of Light
4x Mana Storm
4x Week of Training
1x Anael, Angel of Redemption
4x Crusader Treasurer
4x Crusader Watchman
1x Griffin Knight
1x Holy Praetorian
3x Loyal Griffin
1x Pao Deathseeker
4x Radiant Glory
4x Wolf Captain
1x Altar of Asha
3x Broken Bridge
1x Cassandra's Imperial Devotion
3x Cosmic Realignment
2x Cosmic Singularity
1x Revised Tactics
4x River of Gems
no Wolf Captain: it's kinda correct because Wolf Captains were a mistake. On the other hand they were reasons why they were added - haven was UP. I'm afraid that w/o WC haven will become one of the weakest factions.
looking at the list im scared. Haven look very, very weak. I really think you overdid it. Haven is way too weak
and Haven absolutely needs Collectors. Playing w/o 1-drop will only strengthen the discussion about going 2-cd advantage.
Fortunes looks very weak. Why Broken Bridge was excluded?
A couple of thoughts:
- Lurkers w/o Strikes might be too strong
- Haven has no 1-drops (that i would even consider playing)
top heroes: Dhamiria, Zardoc and sb from Necro
Last edited by ZergRusher; 02-09-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Let's look on the bright side, at least poisonous bulb survived, would have been completely lost without that spell.
Looking forward to trying immolation decks in BS2 though, with the reduction in board wipes and some creatures dealing fire damage it seems like fire elementals will be quite a bit more useful.
I think the card I'm going to miss the most is going to be Djinn Mentor, don't think my high requirement Academy decks can possibly work without them.
Last edited by Alamand; 02-07-2014 at 10:33 PM.
Can you give me back my 3k seals for ishuma, Ubi? Btw nice move, put really expensive card into shop, and dont reprint
I have a big issue with this move from them.
I spent a lot of time and money getting some cards and now they wont be valid to play in standard format!
Sorry but Id like a refund on the seals I bought.
Added to that it seem they kept a LOT of cards that no one uses, Air trap for instance.
But they cut great cards that are not unbalanced instead.
Huh that makes no sense what so ever.
At least we can use all of our cards in Open format.
Last edited by Banehollow89; 02-07-2014 at 09:46 PM.