Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [PC]Rocksmith 2014 - Constant buzzing/static with cable plugged in | Forums

Rocksmith 2014 Edition - The Smashing Pumpkins' "Cherub Rock"

How Guitar Teachers Can Use Rocksmith 2014 Edition

Rocksmith 2014 Edition -- How It Works -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Rocksmith 60-Day Challenge -- Trevor's Success Story -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Rocksmith 2014 - Constant buzzing/static with cable plugged in

Bought Rocksmith 2014 for Mac/PC a couple of weeks ago. It's been working fine but every once in a while would glitch out and start making random string/buzz/static sounds, even with the guitar unplugged. I would restart the program or computer and it was fine. Now, nothing I do resolves the issue.

I have the latest Macbook Air and have tested the issue in both Mavericks(10.9) and on Windows 7 x64(Bootcamp)

Both exhibit the same issue. I have tried plugging directly into a USB port or a USB hub on a monitor I use which has been working fine.

Note this issue occurs even when the guitar itself is unplugged. As soon as the cable is plugged in, the fun begins.

I can play notes on the guitar and those are registered to but it totally ruins any actual playing of songs.

Let me know if there's anything further I can provide.

thanks!

-J
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Maybe it is a bad cable, but before we just give up...

It is not exactly unnormal for a guitar cable to do that.

Especially if it is not plugged into an instrument.

Then depending on EMI noise in the room it could still make noise.

First plug the cable into your guitar (assuming is it not).

Then move you guitar further away from noise making devices like your PC and your monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by rcole_sooner View Post
    Maybe it is a bad cable, but before we just give up...

It is not exactly unnormal for a guitar cable to do that.

Especially if it is not plugged into an instrument.

Then depending on EMI noise in the room it could still make noise.

First plug the cable into your guitar (assuming is it not).

Then move you guitar further away from noise making devices like your PC and your monitor.
    Hi rcole! Thanks for responding so quickly. I've tried it in different areas of the room(I've got a laptop) and it doesn't seem to make a difference. As soon as I plug the cable in, it starts making noises. Same thing when it's plugged into the guitar(though I can strum notes)

What's my next step?

thanks!

-J

Quote Originally Posted by maler23 View Post
    Hi rcole! Thanks for responding so quickly. I've tried it in different areas of the room(I've got a laptop) and it doesn't seem to make a difference. As soon as I plug the cable in, it starts making noises. Same thing when it's plugged into the guitar(though I can strum notes)

What's my next step?

thanks!

-J

I have tried all of this too. The cracking on mine has now rendered the game unplayable. Contacted support but they have yet to respond. Massively disappointed.

That's not an issue with the game (as in not a software issue).. it happens all the time with just a guitar and amp too.

A lot of it depends on the cable and the guitar/volume pot (pot = knob). If your guitar is unplugged, the cable will also be subjected to electronic/magnetic fields as well. Try keeping you and the guitar as far away from the laptops/speakers as possible. Normally we'd suggest buying a new cord that's more insulated, but seeing as the cord is made for the game, unless you find another usb-1/4" cord in stores, you have what you have to work with.

Also, if your volume pot has been damaged to where you have to constantly keep the volume at max to hear it, you'll undoubtably get more interference as well (especially when not playing). Try running the [Configuration] in-game at as low of a volume setting as it will detect, and if you find the volume knob is still all the way up, then get it checked out. If it's buzzing at lower volumes, and putting your hand on the strings to mute them does the job, it's uncommon, but perhaps your pickups need to be checked - I should say that muting the strings with your hand should always stop the buzzing, but it should only be detectable at higher volumes.

This isn't meant to be all-inclusive, but hopefully it will be enough to help you minimize the possible things being affected.

What happens when you plug into a real amp? Comon, you got to test with different equipment to eliminate the guitar as an issue.

If you dont have a real amp, stop by a music shop and ask if you can test the amp with your guitar. Dont tell them something could be wrong, you just want to compare amps with your guitar.

This will let you know if your guitar is ok.

I appreciate the healthy amounts of skepticism but, as stated previously, the issue occurs WITHOUT THE GUITAR PLUGGED IN.

When the guitar is plugged in, I get the scratchy/buzzy/clicky sounds(almost as if it's picking up stray guitar notes from alternate dimensions....And I must say, people in alternate dimensions need to practice more too!) but I can also play guitar notes.

In the interest of science however, I plugged my portable amp(Vox AmPlug) to my guitar and then hooked it up via stereo cable to the SAME stereo/location where I do my Rocksmithing and the sound was completely clean.

It's the cable.

Cheers!

-J

I'm getting the same issue. I've got static that overwhelms any played note, so I can't tune it, thus I can't complete the soundcheck. I know I can adjust the sound in-game, but I need to get past the soundcheck to do it. I had completed it on a different computer with a different guitar, both of which I no longer have access too, and it worked just fine. Ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by maler23 View Post
    I appreciate the healthy amounts of skepticism but, as stated previously, the issue occurs WITHOUT THE GUITAR PLUGGED IN.

When the guitar is plugged in, I get the scratchy/buzzy/clicky sounds(almost as if it's picking up stray guitar notes from alternate dimensions....And I must say, people in alternate dimensions need to practice more too!) but I can also play guitar notes.

In the interest of science however, I plugged my portable amp(Vox AmPlug) to my guitar and then hooked it up via stereo cable to the SAME stereo/location where I do my Rocksmithing and the sound was completely clean.

It's the cable.

Cheers!

-J
    In other words, I'm having more or less the same issue.

Have you tried decreasing the audio in (microphone level) setting? The windows default is 17 (which works great for me) but some people need to increase it to get better sound recognition. If you turn it up to far, you could have a lot of unwanted noise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast