Thread: Buzzing Noise | Forums

Rocksmith 2014 Edition - The Smashing Pumpkins' "Cherub Rock"

How Guitar Teachers Can Use Rocksmith 2014 Edition

Rocksmith 2014 Edition -- How It Works -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Rocksmith 60-Day Challenge -- Trevor's Success Story -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Question Buzzing Noise

Hey guys,

So I'm having an issue with my Rocksmith cable, in that it seems to create a buzzing sound through my speakers when it's plugged in & I'm running Rocksmith 2014 on either my PS3 or PC. The thing is, when I plug it into my guitar (Squier Telecaster with neck and bridge single coil pickups), the sound persists. However, when my finger makes contact with any of the strings or metal on the guitar, the buzzing stops. I've also found that the sound stops when my fingers makes contact with the base of the cable jack, so I'd imagine the issue is with the cable. I'm just not sure what the problem is.

Thanks for the help in advance!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

This is simply what single coil pickups do, and the reason I'm replacing the pickups in my strat copy with stacked dual coils. Try turning the gain (volume) knob on the guitar down some.

Edit: Actually I should note it's particularly true of cheap single coil pickups, and the stock pickups on a Squier series are going to be cheap.
    Last edited by Master_Musashi; 11-23-2013 at 05:28 PM.

I have an AM Strat and no problems. Its cheap hardware in the guitar.

That's true, as I noted in my edit. However, single coils that don't buzz--much anyway, all single coils buzz a little on hot amp settings) are heinously expensive ($300 or more for a set of 3, which is more than three times the cost of my entire guitar, for instance), whereas cheap stacked humbuckers will fix the problem for under $100, and most beginners aren't going to drop $300 on pickups. I'm certainly not going to. The only way I could justify that kind of expense would be if I were actually making money off my guitar, which I'm years away from being able to do, even if I wanted to.

Another thing to consider.....While yes single coil PU's are less stable than Humbuckers, you noted that when you touch the strings it quiets down. You may have a ground problem. Theres a wire that is soldered to the plate that holds your coil springs in (the springs that allow you to use the whammy bar). It may not be making tight contact. Besides the hardware in it self it may help quiet things a bit more if its loose.

You might want to check out this post. The user figured out (somehow) that calibration is the culprit for him (and for me): http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...77#post9369877

Thanks for all the help, guys! It turned out that the outlets on the floor I was set up on aren't grounded, or something along those lines; I'm not entirely sure what it means. I figured it out when I disconnected my laptop charger from my laptop, and the buzzing stopped. I moved everything upstairs, and there was no buzzing! I was really worried my cable or the electronics in my guitar had screwed up. Anyway, best to everyone!