Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rocksmith 2014 Latency Issues | Forums

Rocksmith 2014 Edition - The Smashing Pumpkins' "Cherub Rock"

How Guitar Teachers Can Use Rocksmith 2014 Edition

Rocksmith 2014 Edition -- How It Works -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Rocksmith 60-Day Challenge -- Trevor's Success Story -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Rocksmith 2014 Latency Issues

Hey guys, is anyone else having major latency issues with the new game. If it makes a difference I'm usng the cable from the original Rocksmith game. I've tried HDMI to my surround sound receiver, optical to surround sound and hdmi to HDTV, and simply hdmi directly to the hdtv. When I hit a note on guitar there is about second delay between my hitting the note and the game playing it back. It makes it very difficult to play although I have been managing. Anyone else having this issue? Is there a difference between the original Rocksmith cable and the new 2014 one?

I also have some RS 2014 gameplay videos on my youtube channel for anyone interested http://www.youtube.com/RB3PROGUITAR
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

There is no difference in cables. HDMI will give you audio lag. You can use it for the video but get separate component cables for audio and you should have no noticeable lag. You need the audio signal to be analog.

Thanks for the heads up, I tried optical and hdmi but not analog. What concerned me was it's lag from my guitar, not the notes/music.

Yep Brick is definitely right - you need analog cables for audio. Cable it direct to an amp or stereo, something with no or minimal processing, and you'll get no lag. It's the same setup as RS1.

Digital signals get processed by the TV / receiver, and this adds lag.

In addition to the above note about using analog cables direct to your surround sound receiver, check your receiver manual to see if it has an option to turn off all effects/processing. Some receivers have a "direct" or "pure" mode which does this.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryRS1 View Post
    In addition to the above note about using analog cables direct to your surround sound receiver, check your receiver manual to see if it has an option to turn off all effects/processing. Some receivers have a "direct" or "pure" mode which does this.
    Switched to anolog cables and have the same issue. I have an Onkyo receiver which has the "direct" mode that disables all processing effects but I still get the latency. To me it sounds like when you're recording guitar on a computer without proper ASIO drivers or a crappy soundcard so your recorded guitar is delayed when compared to the track you're playing over.

Quote Originally Posted by ptbinge View Post
    Switched to anolog cables and have the same issue. I have an Onkyo receiver which has the "direct" mode that disables all processing effects but I still get the latency. To me it sounds like when you're recording guitar on a computer without proper ASIO drivers or a crappy soundcard so your recorded guitar is delayed when compared to the track you're playing over.
    I run my Xbox 360 to an older (no HDMI) Onkyo home theater receiver via analogue audio cables. Setting the receiver to "Direct" has improved audio lag. It's still not perfect, but I think it's the best configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by ptbinge View Post
    I have an Onkyo as well. When it's in direct mode there is still probably a little latency, but it's not perceivable.

I think any noticeable latency is down to PC settings. There's a rocksmith.ini file you can edit in the Steam directory which has a few extra settings the GUI doesn't expose as well as a PDF which explains what the settings are. One of those is the audio buffer size which defaults to 0 allowing rocksmith to try to automatically determine a suitable buffer. There's a chance it could be getting this wrong and ending up with a bigger buffer than necessary, so it may be worth trying different buffer sizes that are close to 0, but not actually 0 and where you don't introduce crackling. I'm using 256 at the moment.

The other thing to do is ensure both the RS cable and your output device are set to use the same audio format (16bit 48,000Hz). I would assume without this there would probably be sampling taking place that would increase latency a little.

With RS1 I could tell there was still some latency between plucking a string and hearing the result, but with 2014 it feels like it's instant at least when set in exclusive mode. In shared mode after tweaking it still feels like there's a very slight delay, but that could be me seeing confirmation bias of expecting it to be worse.
    Last edited by GaryRS1; 10-29-2013 at 11:46 PM.

You also have this option from the main menu:

Tools (on the bottom of the screen) > Options > Visual Settings > Display Lag Correction

Once you get to Display Lag Correction, you can adjust the lag to better sync with your setup, like RS1 offered.

Quote Originally Posted by pulpsmack View Post
    You also have this option from the main menu:

Tools (on the bottom of the screen) > Options > Visual Settings > Display Lag Correction

Once you get to Display Lag Correction, you can adjust the lag to better sync with your setup, like RS1 offered.
    Hi, that's not the lag issue I'm having. It's a latency issue between me playing a note on my guitar and Rocksmith playing back the note. So I hit a note on my guitar and then 1/2second later I'll here it through my speakers. If you check out some of my video it's very apparent. I can still get good scores but whenever there's a lot of notes or it's a fast song it's really hard to play since I'm hearing the note twice.

My Rocksmith videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/RB3PROGUITAR/videos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast