• Trowing knifes (Altair/Ezio)

28 57.14%
  • Hookblade (ACR)

14 28.57%
  • Hidden Gun (Ezio ACB/ACR)

11 22.45%
  • Croosbow (Ezio ACB/ACR)

10 20.41%
  • Rope Dart (Chinese Assassins as for AC3)

17 34.69%
  • Grafting Bombs/Grenades shell types with caltrops

8 16.33%
  • Exotic Assassin Weapons (Sling /Slingshot; Mambele...)

8 16.33%
  • Grafting Assassin gadgets and weapons

10 20.41%
  • Option for player to choose the Secondary weapons

15 30.61%
  • None of the Above

8 16.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ac4 - where are the good; old & fun assassin's weapons? | Forums

The Assassin's Creed Experience - Comic-Con Day 3

Assassin?s Creed Unity Arno Master Assassin CG Trailer [US]

The Assassin's Creed Experience - Comic-Con Day 2

The Assassin's Creed Experience - Comic-Con Day 1

Quote Originally Posted by Landruner View Post
    You are making a good point and it is what a lot regretted in AC3 - A lot wanted to be stealthy and they could not and were getting into a carnage despite the fact they did not mean to create one. We suggested to Devs of AC3 to implant additional gameplay in the DLCs with either the return of the old arsenal (by DLC side missions) Leaving the player to choice them if they wanted to in order to balance the gameplay between the ones who like the carnage and the ones that prefer the sneaky ambush in order to make make everyone . Hutchinson told us that some stuff like that will be implanted in the 3 episode DLCs - I have played them, and they did not....
    Yeah. I’d say AC3 developers were never really interested in making an AC game. I mean, they misused all the franchise had to offer (assassinations, freedom, stealth, music, cities, even the hidden blade was bad…) and worked on adding things that have nothing to do with AC: Hollywood moments, naval, hunting, crafting, linear action sequences… So, after AC3, I pretty much knew that team would not make a good AC DLC (especially after seeing the new “powers” thing).

Quote Originally Posted by Farlander1991 View Post
    I always thought that weapon selection (if there would be one) should be tied to the notoriety system. The more weapons and tools you have on you (i.e. power) the more socially unacceptable you are - guards are much more wary of you.
    Great idea! I have posted some ideas of mine about this as well: like if you want to carry a sword or other weapons, you also have to buy special outfits or gear from a tailor in order to conceal those weapons. Say, a cape to hide a crossbow (like Ezio in ACR), boots where you can place a dagger, a sword disguised as a cane or long sleeves to conceal the hidden blade (like prowler in ACB). If the player didn’t conceal a weapon, guards would be much more aggressive to the point they would react if they saw that the player was too close.

That is the AC's spirit you are truly the real Assassin Creed I met so far
    Ahah, thank you! But that would be arguable. I simply enjoy the original concept of AC and hate the way Ubisoft got rid of it and focused on pleasing everyone instead of trying to actually improve the franchise (you know, work on the core mechanics and focus on delivering a true Assassin’s Creed experience). Still, Black Flag seems to be a step in the right direction, more or less…
    I have to say I’m happy because you too seem to be a fan of the original Assassin’s Creed concept (and not the one recent games portrait) which is very rare, even in this forum.

Like you mention, optional customization for your character was the way I was hoping the franchise will take. Make the player the option to choose his gear and own personalized weapons among a lot of different weapon to choose from. You want to customize an armor for a specific mission, you can, - you want to play with just the hidden blades and the throwing knives without having to take smoke bombs and you get 5 more knife if you don't take the bombs, you may. that is what we expected from AC4 - the freedom to choice our customization of our character in order to experience a different gameplay the way we wanted to play.
    Exactly! But do you think AC4 will deliver that?
    Last edited by AssassinHMS; 10-24-2013 at 07:43 PM.
    "Requiescat in pace Assassin's Creed"
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Quote Originally Posted by Shahkulu101 View Post
    I love throwing knives and was sad to see them go in AC3 - I loved to take out multiple guards with them in the Ezio trilogy, they were so fun when taking Borgia towers or Templar dens.
    I know I was surprised that they removed them for AC3 - I really though they were part of the AC franchise like the Hidden blade(s) since they always been there. Like we suggested back in time, they could have implanted them with the AC3 aiming system and improving them by the ability to throw 2 at the same time for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by harpreettiwana View Post
    the best weapon for me in AC3 was the tomahawk, second one was bow and arrow. i never even equipped the swords or any heavy weapons.

it will be awesome if we could select the weapons we want to use and unequip the ones we don't want.
    Yep, it is what I mention in my thread

Beijing Orleans London Kyoto Alexandria Babylon Seoul
    Quote Originally Posted by Farlander1991 View Post
    I always thought that weapon selection (if there would be one) should be tied to the notoriety system. The more weapons and tools you have on you (i.e. power) the more socially unacceptable you are - guards are much more wary of you.
    So basically a Subtlety system:

Kinda reminds me of the Disguise system in Liberation, without the whole wearing a dress and making it impossible to climb...
    Hidden Blade should be permanent though, it is the iconic assassin weapon, and also the most discreet.
    ------------------------------
    Perhaps certain different weapons increase n: For example the default sword given to the player has:
    1Damage/1Deflect/1Speed/5Subtlety. Overall lower stats but less likely to attract attention
    The Sword of Altair on the other hand would have:
    5Damage/5Deflect/5Speed/1Subtlety A superior weapon but exceptionally flashy, Guards no the sword as an assassin weapon.

The sword of Altair could still be used subtlety, but with less weapons equipped.

Quote Originally Posted by AssassinHMS View Post
    Yeah. I’d say AC3 developers were never really interested in making an AC game. I mean, they misused all the franchise had to offer (assassinations, freedom, stealth, music, cities, even the hidden blade was bad…) and worked on adding things that have nothing to do with AC: Hollywood moments, naval, hunting, crafting, linear action sequences… So, after AC3, I pretty much knew that team would not make a good AC DLC (especially after seeing the new “powers” thing).

Great idea! I have posted some ideas of mine about this as well: like if you want to carry a sword or other weapons, you also have to buy special outfits or gear from a tailor in order to conceal those weapons. Say, a cape to hide a crossbow (like Ezio in ACR), boots where you can place a dagger, a sword disguised as a cane or long sleeves to conceal the hidden blade (like prowler in ACB). If the player didn’t conceal a weapon, guards would be much more aggressive to the point they would react if they saw that the player was too close.

Ahah, thank you! But that would be arguable. I simply enjoy the original concept of AC and hate the way Ubisoft got rid of it and focused on pleasing everyone instead of trying to actually improve the franchise (you know, work on the core mechanics and focus on delivering a true Assassin’s Creed experience). Still, Black Flag seems to be a step in the right direction, more or less…
    I have to say I’m happy because you too seem to be a fan of the original Assassin’s Creed concept (and not the one recent games portrait) which is very rare, even in this forum.

Exactly! But do you think AC4 will deliver that?
    Well, long story short, this is not really the pieces of feedback I got from the ones who did the previews notably regarding the way the player can manage your character toward the missions. Now, I have too see the final product running for having my own impressions in this matter, but I am not expecting a miracle neither.

To be honest, I wouldn't have minded seeing the bomb system coming back in Black Flag. ACR was the only point in the entire series where bombs were USEFUL, and I tended to use the Datura poison bombs most of all (there's just something about watching a group of guards suffering simultaneous strokes that's just so sadistically satisfying :P)

But I don't know why throwing knives are on the list, as we have seen evidence that they're in the game. In the smuggler cave demo, Edward loots a throwing knife from one of the smugglers, we even see a little knife icon in the bottom right with a number next to it, implying that we can buy/craft more, and if i remember right, i've seen a "Throwing Knife belt upgrade" in the crafting menu during one of the open world demos/sequence 3 demo.

So throwing knives are definitely in.
    "I'll cleave ya lengthwise! Maggots!" - Edward "Blackbeard" Thatch.

Quote Originally Posted by Medieval-X-2.0 View Post
    For a pirate assassin, Edward seems to be carrying the right weapons. Anything more, and he would just seem over-powered, over-weighted, and too diverse for any foe to give a real challenge. He's already carrying four guns, two swords, and a blow-dart gun, not to mention his hidden blades. That seems about right to me. That was ACB's and ACR's problem I think. Your weapons arsenal was too large and over-powered. No enemy was a problem to take down. Even the Janissaries fell before your might. If they could just make the enemies a lot tougher, and limit your arsenal to more realistic parameters, the game would be more centered, and would force you to approach situations as an assassin should. Think AC1, but with enemies being quicker and dealing more damage to your health. That's what we need.
    It is not exactly what I put in my thread and I am right with you if you put all those weapons in your inventory secondary wheel will be tedious - I mention in the thread the option to select your weapons (selecting and switching your weapons) instead of having to carry all of them with you. Option #9 is the poll above - Perhaps, I should have turned a better way the name of my thread in order the prevent confusion with the poll?

So basically a Subtlety system:

Kinda reminds me of the Disguise system in Liberation, without the whole wearing a dress and making it impossible to climb...
    Hidden Blade should be permanent though, it is the iconic assassin weapon, and also the most discreet.
    ------------------------------
    Perhaps certain different weapons increase n: For example the default sword given to the player has:
    1Damage/1Deflect/1Speed/5Subtlety. Overall lower stats but less likely to attract attention
    The Sword of Altair on the other hand would have:
    5Damage/5Deflect/5Speed/1Subtlety A superior weapon but exceptionally flashy, Guards no the sword as an assassin weapon.

The sword of Altair could still be used subtlety, but with less weapons equipped.
    While all those are good ideas, I think it's important to be careful not to overcomplicate things too much. Sometimes things are better when they're more simple. It's important that things are clear.

For example, concealment. I think it's a cool idea, but things that have to be though about: a) is there a limit on how many 'concealing' outfits we can wear? b) if yes, why? c) what happens if we conceal everything, doesn't that overpower the player even greater and goes against the purpose of the system itself? d) will the guards be suspicious of a heavily concealed person? e) how to properly convey that information to the player?

We could go with a subtlety meter like suggested in another post to combine with that, but I think that if it's a "+/-" kind of thing (like, weapons subtract from subtlety, concealments add to it), it can lead to some REALLY weird results.

Look at a system that's already present in the games and has been mentioned in the post: the weapon stats. Damage/Deflect/Speed, from Ezio's Trilogy. Do those stats REALLY matter? Do you care if you choose a 2/3/2 weapon over a 3/2/2 weapon? No, you really don't, there's not enough difference to warrant that.

Basically, all I'm saying, it should be a system that's clear to the player (i.e. not AC3 stealth rules), that's not broken (i.e. a dominant strategy, and there's a dominant strategy in one mechanic or other in every AC game), and that's elegant enough to avoid redundancies.

PS. And just as I was writing that, I guess the concealment system could actually go well with the traditional outfit system, i.e. you don't ADD to your outfit a cape or a cloak or anything, you choose an outfit with a cape for example and it cloaks an element or two, so you can't go 'TAKE ALL THE THINGS AND CLOAK ALL THE THINGS!!!!'

Hmm yeah it's a balancing act of giving the player enough tactical options and at the same time avoid redundancies and the assassin looking like a burro. It's not only about what the assassin caries it's also aobout how he can use his tools to interact with the world. Take for example the grappling hook in JC2 which has so many uses it carries the entire game.

Personally I prefer fewer gadgets but them to have many uses. What may be missing in AC4 (not sure if we know about everything so far) is the ability to set traps for villains. Either a tool like a tripmine or some stuff in the enviroments that could be rigged may have been nice.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyA85 View Post
    To be honest, I wouldn't have minded seeing the bomb system coming back in Black Flag. ACR was the only point in the entire series where bombs were USEFUL, and I tended to use the Datura poison bombs most of all (there's just something about watching a group of guards suffering simultaneous strokes that's just so sadistically satisfying :P)

But I don't know why throwing knives are on the list, as we have seen evidence that they're in the game. In the smuggler cave demo, Edward loots a throwing knife from one of the smugglers, we even see a little knife icon in the bottom right with a number next to it, implying that we can buy/craft more, and if i remember right, i've seen a "Throwing Knife belt upgrade" in the crafting menu during one of the open world demos/sequence 3 demo.

So throwing knives are definitely in.
    I somewhat liked the Bombs in ACR - I did not like it at first, but after replaying the game, and messing with them I understood that you could actually make nice combo and trick to the guard, even using some for creating panic with people and finding your way to escape - I just regretted that you did not have any mission that concretely let them use them as a option. And it is not the Piri Reis tutorial mission that really convince the player to use them, and having fun with them.

I believe the problem in ACR that the interface was a bit tedious, and they were too many items for different effect that where pretty much giving the same result - My opinion is that Grenades and caltrops were actually used by pirates and it was a nice opportunity to re-introduce to bomb grafting as a optional entries, with the just option the buy the items you need for grafting or directly buy the grenades from the merchants and let to use them the way they want to use them in the gameplay. I believe with a simplified interface of 3 different type of shells, (Classic, sticky, and trap)/ 1 or 2 type of powders for the circle of range of effect / 3 strategic/tactic effects besides the smoke effect (caltrop and blood), and 2 lethal options (Poison, blast), it would have been a nice piece of addition.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast