So after a lot of troubleshooting (port forwarding, turning off conflicting programs, disabling firewalls and deleting tungle/hamachi) I still couldn't go online. I then decided to reinstall the game on my laptop and it connected fine removing any doubt that it was my router or ports. This means there is something blocking the connection on my desktop alone.
PS. for those who want access to their dlc content (armor and missions) you can move your save from a computer that can connect to the blacklist service to one that cannot. Its a hassle and doesnt fix spys vs mercs but its a start I guess especially those who paid 10$ for the deluxe edition.
this is total ****ing bull ****!! I have done every thing that you can possibly do and nothing works?!? i have never had a problem like this aside from crisis 2, but there was a fix for that, and it worked?!
Ok guys! im here to tell you my fix, because this crap was sooo lame! after about 4days not being able to play i was mad! but this is the fix for some it may work. I used to use my pc to act as wifi for my xbox, and to do that you follow this guide http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-l...g/win-computer , and for my fix, and just had to undo what the guide says to do. In a nutshell do this ...
Network and Sharing center > Change adapter settings > properties (for ur current network) > Sharing tab > have both boxes unclicked!, and thats all i did for it to insta start working, i hope it helps, because all the support ppl tell you to do is port forward, and blame ur ISP all day long!!!!
Holy **** it works for me, thank you. Truly thank you.
I don't have any "sharing tab" in my network properties (only pc player here) so this doesn't work too. And MicrosoftFix too.
Still no help from support ticket here (just giving me link for port forwarding...).
I updated my ticket with the CD key validity, I will see.....
GUYS THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT:
My friend just got a BRAND NEW PC. All internals BRAND NEW***
And his game DID NOT WORK online after he installed the patch ( we DID NOT try it before the patch, but this is NOT THE ISSUE!!!)
I will tell you the EXACT STEPS we have made to make the game work online:
WE USED AN IPAD-HOTSPOT, SO THERE IS NO NAT ISSUE THATS FOR SURE, BECAUSE IPAD HAS STRICT NAT TYPE!
He is using Windows 7
FIRST: i deactived BOTH FIREWALLS for PUBLIC and HOME Network. BOTH FIREWALLS.
SECOND i have deleted the HOST FILES located at "C\:Windows\System32\Drivers\etc
Just DELETE and clear your BIN, so it is DEFINETLY REMOVED. You DONT have the make a NEW ONE, JUST DELETE and it's DONE!
THIRD: We deactivated EVERY Network adapter that wos NOT USED FOR THE GAME AT THIS MOMENT.
Go To Network Sharing Center > Click " Set Adapter Settings" on the RIGHT SIDE
Right Click on EVERY SINGLE NOT USED network > Deactivate (as admin, usally standard)
( On my friends new pc he had a additional LAN connection-adapter active, used for installing his windows. we had the deactivate it!!!)
ONLY let the ONE adapter active that you are going to use for the GAME at THIS MOMENT.
You can activate them again by right click> Activate
BAM there you go! I hope this worked for you guys!
I used this method on 2 different systems and BOTH had access to multiplayer after this.